Sonny Weems back in the USA/NBA

Started by SONofHAM, July 08, 2015, 02:54:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SONofHAM

July 08, 2015, 02:54:33 pm Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:28:44 pm by SONofHAM
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard  · 5m5 minutes ago 
Sources: Sonny Weems and Phoenix Suns agree to 2-year deal worth $5.8 million

Pretty cool to see him back in the NBA!

http://arizonasports.com/41/1848429/Report-Phoenix-Suns-agree-to-terms-with-Sonny-Weems
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

TheRazorbackGuy

Good for Sonny!
I thought he liked it with that Russian team.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Did Weems just take Archie's spot? That plus Booker things are getting tight at the wing positions for PHX

I guess it was a Business decision for PHX

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 08, 2015, 02:56:25 pm
Did Weems just take Archie's spot? That plus Booker things are getting tight at the wing positions for PHX

Archie is going to be the backup SG

Hawg Red

The fit seems weird on the surface, looking at their roster. But we're not even to the point (yet) of teams being able to even sign guys. Still a lot to be sorted out post-big name FA decisions. They dumped some useful pieces when they tried to clear cap space for Aldridge. They don't appear to have any backup PG to speak of, assuming both Knight and Bledsoe start together as they did last season (and let's face it -- they aren't going to bring someone making 15 million per off the bench). No real backup PF (Jon Leuer is more of a 3rd-string guy). They'll make some more moves. They really liked last year's first round pick, T.J. Warren, at the 3 as well, but they also have P.J. Tucker, though he's also started at PF and SG for them so he has some versatility. Weems will play somewhere in that 2/3 rotation as the primary backup, or maybe even the starter. Need to see how things shake out, but I don't think they brought him in to warm the bench.

Archie figures to get a crack at the primary backup SG spot. I get that a lot of people are still bitter about the "business decision" thing. Maybe it's time to let that one go? Not saying you have to be a fan of him, but at least act like an adult and not a hurt teenage girl. Kid didn't pick Arkansas. He's the only one. And there will be more. Some of that is the state of young society and some of it is lack of strong (or effective) recruiting by the staff. I was really mad at the time, too, but come on. It's over and done with. All these little petty jabs are not a good look for Hog fans. Smacks of jealousy and hurt, IMO.

SONofHAM

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 08, 2015, 03:58:30 pm
The fit seems weird on the surface, looking at their roster. But we're not even to the point (yet) of teams being able to even sign guys. Still a lot to be sorted out post-big name FA decisions. They dumped some useful pieces when they tried to clear cap space for Aldridge. They don't appear to have any backup PG to speak of, assuming both Knight and Bledsoe start together as they did last season (and let's face it -- they aren't going to bring someone making 15 million per off the bench). No real backup PF (Jon Leuer is more of a 3rd-string guy). They'll make some more moves. They really liked last year's first round pick, T.J. Warren, at the 3 as well, but they also have P.J. Tucker, though he's also started at PF and SG for them so he has some versatility. Weems will play somewhere in that 2/3 rotation as the primary backup, or maybe even the starter. Need to see how things shake out, but I don't think they brought him in to warm the bench.

Archie figures to get a crack at the primary backup SG spot. I get that a lot of people are still bitter about the "business decision" thing. Maybe it's time to let that one go? Not saying you have to be a fan of him, but at least act like an adult and not a hurt teenage girl. Kid didn't pick Arkansas. He's the only one. And there will be more. Some of that is the state of young society and some of it is lack of strong (or effective) recruiting by the staff. I was really mad at the time, too, but come on. It's over and done with. All these little petty jabs are not a good look for Hog fans. Smacks of jealousy and hurt, IMO.

I guess I missed the pettiness you speak of.  I have seen that in past threads, but the above posts don't seem like jealousy...maybe just me tho.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

azhog10

Excited to have a former hog in the desert!

King Kong

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on July 08, 2015, 03:17:17 pm
Archie is going to be the backup SG

Sure sure he isn't the back ups back up?

The Suns start 2 "point guards" in Bledsoe and Knight. They just drafted D. Booker with the 13th pick I assume he back up at the guard spot. Which is really a wing spot as SG and SF are almost interchangeable on most NBA squads now. Throw in TJ Warren last year's pick first round pick, PJ Tucker and Sonny Weems at SF.

Goodwin's 13 min a game is in jeopardy

sickboy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 08, 2015, 02:56:25 pm

Looks like Weems took Michael Qualls spot. They're similar players and, by all accounts, Phoenix was looking to draft Qualls before his injury.

Breems

QuoteRonnie Brewer and Sonny Weems will be two of the greatest NBA players in history.
- Breems
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Quote from: SONofHAM on July 08, 2015, 04:56:51 pm
I guess I missed the pettiness you speak of.  I have seen that in past threads, but the above posts don't seem like jealousy...maybe just me tho.

Any mention of "business decision" is pretty much a petty shot at something Archie said when he was 17 years with a bunch of people in his ear. Fans like that are still jealous that Archie didn't come to Arkansas. If they weren't, they wouldn't feel the need for little unsolicated jabs like that. Thread is about Sonny Weems and somehow gets turned into Archie loses his job?? Yeah, that pettiness is really hard to miss....

Hawg Red

Quote from: sickboy on July 08, 2015, 07:45:12 pm
Looks like Weems took Michael Qualls spot. They're similar players and, by all accounts, Phoenix was looking to draft Qualls before his injury.

Am I missing something?

Qualls signed with OKC.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 08, 2015, 10:29:24 pm
Am I missing something?

Yes, the point of  the last part of his post.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 08, 2015, 10:24:17 pm
Any mention of "business decision" is pretty much a petty shot at something Archie said when he was 17 years with a bunch of people in his ear. Fans like that are still jealous that Archie didn't come to Arkansas. If they weren't, they wouldn't feel the need for little unsolicated jabs like that. Thread is about Sonny Weems and somehow gets turned into Archie loses his job?? Yeah, that pettiness is really hard to miss....

Yes, I'm still upset about the comment. The U of A has historically put guys in the NBA. There was no reason for it. I will take a little joy in Sonny potentially taking away PT from him.

If an state kid wants to go somewhere else? I can live with that and get over it. But handle it with some class like KeVaughn did. Just make your commitment and be respectful of the other schools that recruited you.

TomBigBeeHog

Is this KeVaughn kid from Arkansas?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Booker may make Archie expendable

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2015/06/28/pressures-archie-goodwin/

According to this article, Sonny may get more minutes than both Goodwin and Booker which could end up with Goodwin going elsewhere. Still would be in the league though and may allow him to get more opportunities on another team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13224263/phoenix-suns-reach-deals-sonny-weems-ronnie-price

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 09, 2015, 07:50:45 am
Yes, I'm still upset about the comment. The U of A has historically put guys in the NBA. There was no reason for it. I will take a little joy in Sonny potentially taking away PT from him.

If an state kid wants to go somewhere else? I can live with that and get over it. But handle it with some class like KeVaughn did. Just make your commitment and be respectful of the other schools that recruited you.

Actually, Archie was pretty respectful. I don't see how him being honest about his reason for going to Kentucky made him disrespectful. Is there something I'm missing that he said when he committed to Kentucky that was less-than-classy?

Here's the exact quote you're talking about. Nothing disrespectful, IMO.

QuoteIt wasn't an easy decision to leave his home state.

"That's the one thing that is the toughest, growing up here with so many expectations to go [to Arkansas]," Goodwin told Telep. "It's been a lot of pressure. Arkansas is a great school, and I love Coach Anderson and his staff.

"I love my state, but it's a business decision and this is best for my career and my family."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/sep/21/goodwin-commits-kentucky/

Tell me that's being disrespectful.

I get that the U of A has put players in the NBA. But at the time he made that statement, Arkansas had 5 players drafted to the NBA in his lifetime. 5!! Compare that to how many Kentucky or Calipari kids have been drafted and it's easy to see his logic. You don't have to agree with it, but it's pretty clear. It sucks, but the fact is Arkansas hasn't put too many players in the NBA in the 2000s+. They just haven't. If that's a big factor in a player's college selection process, they probably aren't going to have Arkansas too high on the list.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 08, 2015, 11:39:16 pm
Yes, the point of  the last part of his post.

Um, Phoenix did not have a 2nd round pick. And they sure as hell weren't going to take Qualls at #13.

So, again, what I am missing here?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 09, 2015, 10:00:47 am
Um, Phoenix did not have a 2nd round pick. And they sure as hell weren't going to take Qualls at #13.

So, again, what I am missing here?

If they liked Qualls enough, they could have easily acquired a second round pick and drafted him. Injury precluded that so we will never know just how much interest they had. Had he not gotten hurt, and they liked him enough, maybe they wouldn't have picked up Weems.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 09, 2015, 10:34:30 am
If they liked Qualls enough, they could have easily acquired a second round pick and drafted him. Injury precluded that so we will never know just how much interest they had. Had he not gotten hurt, and they liked him enough, maybe they wouldn't have picked up Weems.

Way too many ifs for there to be a point in bringing up Weems' taking Qualls spot on a team that did not draft him, sign him, or was ever in a position to draft him even before the injury.

And anyone that follows the NBA draft knows you just can't ear-mark a guy for a team's 2nd round pick. Way too unpredictable. Just doesn't happen like that.

hawgwild child

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 08, 2015, 03:58:30 pm

Ronnie Price is the back up and we just got rid of Green.  It's an odd move for sure but we just got rid of Gerald Green for whatever reason.  Price will back up bled. Booker, Goodwin and possibly weems will battle for #2 and I would expect Warren to back up Tucker. Tucker is to valuable as a defensive player and hustle guy.  Tucker can play the PF at times but with Keef still here that won't happen.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgwild child on July 09, 2015, 11:20:49 am
Ronnie Price is the back up and we just got rid of Green.  It's an odd move for sure but we just got rid of Gerald Green for whatever reason.  Price will back up bled. Booker, Goodwin and possibly weems will battle for #2 and I would expect Warren to back up Tucker. Tucker is to valuable as a defensive player and hustle guy.  Tucker can play the PF at times but with Keef still here that won't happen.

Yes, Price agreed to a contract after I made that post.

hawgwild child

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 09, 2015, 11:24:25 am
Yes, Price agreed to a contract after I made that post.
I could expect weems to battle for the 2 or 3 spot.  Hornaceck is always gaurd heavy so will see how that shapes up.

hawgwild child

Battle for the backup spot anyways

Cresthog

If he lands there I'd def pickup a retro jersey with his name.