Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lineups for next year

Started by JIHawg, June 25, 2015, 06:34:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Now that we know the cast of characters, we have two centers, four forwards, and six guards.  There seems to be more quality depth at guard than forward, so I can see us going to two platoons of three guard offenses.

Team 1

Center-Kingsley has paid his dues.
Forward-Kapita
Point Guard-Beard
Shooting guard-Bell
Other guard-Whitt

Team 2

Center-Kouassi
Forward-Thompson
Point Guard-Durham
Shooting Guard-Hannahs
Other guard-Watkins

Role Players-Miles and Williams.  Miles if we need more defense, Williams if more offense

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: JIHawg on June 25, 2015, 06:34:45 pm
Now that we know the cast of characters, we have two centers, four forwards, and six guards.  There seems to be more quality depth at guard than forward, so I can see us going to two platoons of three guard offenses.

Team 1

Forward-Kapita
Point Guard-Beard
Shooting guard-Bell
Other guard-Whitt

Team 2

Center-Kouassi
Forward-Thompson
Point Guard-Durham
Shooting Guard-Hannahs
Other guard-Watkins

Role Players-Miles and Williams.  Miles if we need more defense, Williams if more offense

Williams replaces Kapita. Kapita bumps Thompson to the 3rd tier and now you got your lineups.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Big Nasty 34

I think miles and Williams have a much greater contribution than given credit.
Would love for kapita to be in that second rotation. However, I'm not getting my hopes up with his recent injuries. I feel like he may have a Thompson like year with a few more minutes maybe.

intelligence

starters

Kingsley
Kapita
Williams
Whitt
Beard

yraciv

I'll have whatever ya'll are having if you think Kapita is suddenly going to regain his form and become a starter as a FR.  More likely it's Williams at the 4, and Kapita works his way into more minutes as the season goes along.  Is he even on campus yet?

We're going 3 guard because that is where are depth and strength is. I'll go with Beard, Bell, and Whitt to lead that rotation.

Big Nasty 34

I think at first it will be something like this:

Beard/Durham
Bell/Hannahs
Watkins/Whitt
Williams/Miles/Thompson
Kingsley/Koussai/Kapita

I could see him starting Watkins at first since he's a proven veteran guy.

jry04

Quote from: JIHawg on June 25, 2015, 06:34:45 pm

Team 1

Forward-Kapita
Point Guard-Beard
Shooting guard-Bell
Other guard-Whitt

Team 2

Center-Kouassi
Forward-Thompson
Point Guard-Durham
Shooting Guard-Hannahs
Other guard-Watkins

Williams will get 20+ mpg next season. People on here hate him, but Anderson is the decision maker, and he loves him. He gives maximum effort every night, can hit the mid-range, and is one of our better defenders. He makes some stupid plays and is out of control sometimes, but he stuffs the stats. Cut out the dumb plays and he will be very productive.

jry04

Quote from: yraciv on June 26, 2015, 08:03:24 am
I'll have whatever ya'll are having if you think Kapita is suddenly going to regain his form and become a starter as a FR.  More likely it's Williams at the 4, and Kapita works his way into more minutes as the season goes along.  Is he even on campus yet?

We're going 3 guard because that is where are depth and strength is. I'll go with Beard, Bell, and Whitt to lead that rotation.
Why does it matter if he is on campus? The team isn't practicing.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 26, 2015, 08:11:33 am

Beard/Durham
Bell/Hannahs
Watkins/Whitt
Williams/Miles/Thompson
Kingsley/Koussai/Kapita

This with the possible exception of Thompson just because nobody knows.  Not enough sample size to gauge him. 

Polecat

Beard/Durham
Bell/Hannahs
Watkins/Whitt
Williams/Miles/Thompson
Kingsley/Koussai/Kapita

Based on last year, a starting 5 of Watkins, Beard, Bell, Williams and Kingsley is far too inconsistent offensively. Whitt has to start, IMHO
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

hawginbigd1

Beard/Durham
Bell/Hannahs
Watkins/Whitt
Williams/Miles/Thompson
Kingsley/Koussai/Kapita

I think you are pretty darn close right here. I think you will see some significant minutes with Bell and Hannahs on the floor at the same time in early season, just a hunch.

After 8 or so games I think Beard/Bell/Whitt will start and play significant minutes together.

yraciv

Quote from: jry04 on June 26, 2015, 08:25:17 am
Why does it matter if he is on campus? The team isn't practicing.

The team still practices together and hangs out. If anyone is on campus they are still playing pickup games, getting stronger, and hanging with their teammates.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Polecat on June 26, 2015, 10:21:17 am
Based on last year, a starting 5 of Watkins, Beard, Bell, Williams and Kingsley is far too inconsistent offensively. Whitt has to start, IMHO

Not saying he won't start by the end of the year, but just going off of CMAs track record, I doubt Whitt starts right away. Besides, we all know whoever starts has zero impact on who plays the most minutes for Mike.

I just hope people curb their expectations of Whitt coming in and being a 15 ppg stud from day 1. I think he has that potential, but won't be heartbroken if he doesn't at first.

poloprince

Beard
Bell
Hannahs
Jacorey
Moses

Will start
$PoLoPrInCe$

jry04

Quote from: yraciv on June 26, 2015, 05:42:18 pm
The team still practices together and hangs out. If anyone is on campus they are still playing pickup games, getting stronger, and hanging with their teammates.
Not much of that has been going on lately with the camp going on.

choppedporkextrasauce

Whitt and Watkins on the floor together will be one hell of a defensive duo.

jackflash

For us to score I think Whitt going to have to play a lot.  They will play hard Mike will see to that.  I believe you have to have three you count on to score. I like Bell but he doesn't show up every night. Where are the points going to come from C,PF, SF

Letsroll1200

June 28, 2015, 10:23:41 pm #17 Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:51:44 pm by Letsroll1200
I think our line up will be:

Beard - he struggled during tournament play. Shot 11% from 3 and 24% from the field. Durham played a lot better during tournament time.

Whitt - has to get buckets

Watkins -will be much improved. Bell with the second unit for his offense

Williams - will start season but want finish as starter

Kingsley - we need him to be a leader on the floor

mhuff

June 28, 2015, 10:31:38 pm #18 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:32:41 pm by mhuff

[/quote]

I think the following will be the starting five:

Watkins
Whitt
Beard
Williams
Kingsley

UNCLE BACK

Beard, Whitt, Bell, Williams and Big Willie will be getting Jiggy with it.

The_Iceman

PG: Beard / Durham
G: Bell / Hannahs
G: Whitt / Watkins
F: Williams / Miles or Kapita
C: Kingsley / Kouassi / Thompson

Big Nasty 34

Going to be interesting to see the different combos mike will throw out there.

Defense will really have to generate offense with relentless pressure. Have to be very efficient in the fast break as well.

secfan1

Is Kapita going to make it to campus? Serious question. Hearing they aren't exactly sure.

Hawg Red

Quote from: secfan1 on June 29, 2015, 12:18:42 pm
Is Kapita going to make it to campus? Serious question. Hearing they aren't exactly sure.

Man, if he doesn't.....

secfan1

I know he's the only one not there.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 29, 2015, 12:21:58 pm
Man, if he doesn't.....

Man, that will be a dumpster fire if he doesn't make it.

Scott7703

What is the reasoning behind him not being there?

Iwastherein1969

Beard
Kingsley
Whitt
Kapita   
Bell
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

mhuff

Quote from: jry04 on June 26, 2015, 08:22:50 am
Williams will get 20+ mpg next season. People on here hate him, but Anderson is the decision maker, and he loves him. He gives maximum effort every night, can hit the mid-range, and is one of our better defenders. He makes some stupid plays and is out of control sometimes, but he stuffs the stats. Cut out the dumb plays and he will be very productive.

I have never hated him or anyone else. Williams started the season hitting elbow jumpers with regularity and then went downhill. He still rebounds well ,and I hope his FT shooting improves. I could not have him in the lineup when the game was on the line for that reason. You have to hit FT's down the stretch.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: poloprince on June 26, 2015, 05:51:46 pm
Beard
Bell
Hannahs
Jacorey
Moses

Will start

SEC teams will love facing that defense

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: mhuff on June 29, 2015, 04:09:53 pm
I have never hated him or anyone else. Williams started the season hitting elbow jumpers with regularity and then went downhill. He still rebounds well ,and I hope his FT shooting improves. I could not have him in the lineup when the game was on the line for that reason. You have to hit FT's down the stretch.
one cannot crack the lineup once the Hogs get into the bonus situation without knocking down at least 6 of 10 FT's (and that's being generous)...Williams shot a cool (as in frigid) 45% from the FT line and dare I say it would be less during the last 3 minutes of the game if I could find that information...anyone who shoots less than 60% from the charity stripe just cannot be on the floor in a close game down the stretch...its the difference between winning a close one or losing a close game you should have won...Jacorey is a good kid, but he's just got to improve the charity toss percentage to be able to play at crunch time
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Letsroll1200

Yes he will be on campus

Smalltownhog95

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Manny. If the guy improves his offense half as much as he did his defense he'll start for sure. Dude goes 110% every game
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

lefty08

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on June 29, 2015, 11:28:51 pm
I think a lot of people are sleeping on Manny. If the guy improves his offense half as much as he did his defense he'll start for sure. Dude goes 110% every game

There was nothing wrong with his offense last year except for lack of shots.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

bigred223

Manny can drive the lane pretty well and has a nice floater, but he's got no jumper whatsoever. If he could add a jump shot it would be nice.

jackflash

I like Manny a lot but offense is not his game.

lefty08

I think that's what many of us were saying when people were panicking about losing so much scoring. You have to realize we lost most of our shots also. That isnt necessarily a negative, players can't score of theybdont get shots. Manny has a decent midrange shot but he's not a 3 point shooter. That midrange jumper is something this team needs more than the 3. We have several guys that can shoot the 3

I think the old saying of its never as good as it seems and it is never as bad as it seems fits with most people's outlook of our next season
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on June 30, 2015, 08:17:58 am
I think that's what many of us were saying when people were panicking about losing so much scoring. You have to realize we lost most of our shots also. That isnt necessarily a negative, players can't score of theybdont get shots. Manny has a decent midrange shot but he's not a 3 point shooter. That midrange jumper is something this team needs more than the 3. We have several guys that can shoot the 3

I think the old saying of its never as good as it seems and it is never as bad as it seems fits with most people's outlook of our next season
A Very Political Correct answer.   So to put you on the spot how many PPG will this team average and how many games will we win????

I say we will win around 17 games and score around 60-65 PPG.

What you say?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on June 30, 2015, 06:15:22 am
There was nothing wrong with his offense last year except for lack of shots.
The reason Manny was not recruited by the bigs was his lack of athletic ability which limits him to create his own shot.  He is strictly a role type player.  Score 3-5 ppg maybe and get a few assists.  Defensive toughness and being a good teammate is the reason he plays any at all.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 29, 2015, 09:26:32 pm
Yes he will be on campus
Give us your source.  You guessing?  Wishing?  Or do you really have something solid to report?   Also is Kapita completely healthy or does he need more time?  If he needs more rehab/time then how much more?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on June 29, 2015, 04:16:12 pm

SEC teams will love facing that defense
Yes they will especially our guards.  Pretty good offense but who will stop the other teams guards.  Bell cannot spell defense and Hannahs doesnt have the foot speed to cover. So good luck. 

yraciv

Quote from: jry04 on June 26, 2015, 09:01:26 pm
Not much of that has been going on lately with the camp going on.

They go over to the Hyper when other events are occupying Bud Walton Arena.  Been happening for years.

jry04

Quote from: yraciv on June 30, 2015, 08:57:22 am
They go over to the Hyper when other events are occupying Bud Walton Arena.  Been happening for years.
I don't think you understand what I am saying. Most of the players were working the camps. In the summer, if the player is enrolled in summer school, they are allowed to do individual conditioning, weight lifting, or skill related activities for 2 hours a day, 8 hours a week, for 8 weeks. No more than 2 hours a week may be for skill related activities, though. You are crazy if you think Kapita doesn't have the same workout that the team is doing with him. The only thing he is missing out on right now, if he isn't on campus, is bonding with the team during these camps with the kids. Aside from the camp, most of the coaching staff has been on vacation and traveling. Watkins was in Brooklyn for the NBA draft. Anderson has been at the beach, and then went to Chicago for Portis. They aren't doing much until after the 4th.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: jry04 on June 30, 2015, 09:43:21 am
I don't think you understand what I am saying. Most of the players were working the camps. In the summer, if the player is enrolled in summer school, they are allowed to do individual conditioning, weight lifting, or skill related activities for 2 hours a day, 8 hours a week, for 8 weeks. No more than 2 hours a week may be for skill related activities, though. You are crazy if you think Kapita doesn't have the same workout that the team is doing with him. The only thing he is missing out on right now, if he isn't on campus, is bonding with the team during these camps with the kids. Aside from the camp, most of the coaching staff has been on vacation and traveling. Watkins was in Brooklyn for the NBA draft. Anderson has been at the beach, and then went to Chicago for Portis. They aren't doing much until after the 4th.

Mike Anderson should be recruiting defensive players right now not going to press conferences

Mike Irwin

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 30, 2015, 08:50:17 am
Give us your source.  You guessing?  Wishing?  Or do you really have something solid to report?   Also is Kapita completely healthy or does he need more time?  If he needs more rehab/time then how much more?
Better question. Where's the source for the claim that somebody is "hearing" he's not going to make it on campus?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on June 30, 2015, 10:01:31 am
Mike Anderson should be recruiting defensive players right now not going to press conferences

Isn't it the dead period? Or is that just football.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 30, 2015, 10:08:41 am
Better question. Where's the source for the claim that somebody is "hearing" he's not going to make it on campus?

MikeIrwin, besides Kouassi and Watkins who plays defense?

lefty08

What the hell is wrong with the people on this board?

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on June 30, 2015, 10:01:31 am
The sad thing is you are actually serious about this comment.

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on June 30, 2015, 10:31:37 am
MikeIrwin, besides Kouassi and Watkins who plays defense?
Kingsley and Williams? I am sure you will disagree because you always do, but  Anderson feels Williams is one of our better defenders. He makes some bonehead decisions, but he plays pretty solid defense.

bigred223

Williams has to be a great defender next year for us to have any chance of making the tournament. I truly believe out press and trapping defense will be better, but I share the concern of many here when it comes to scoring. I'm thinking 19-21 wins best case.