Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updated Michael Qualls NBA Draft Scouting Report

Started by chiefhawg, June 14, 2015, 02:53:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

texas tush hog

Hawg Red

I wouldn't close the door on him getting drafted. I believe De'Sean Butler was drafted blowing his knee out in the NCAA tournament for WVU and he didn't have the NBA potential Qualls does.

hawgfan4life

Really?  Qualls may have him on pure athleticism but not on skill and shooting ability.  Butler was a finalist for player of the year his SR season.  Qualls wasn't even in that discussion.  I love Qualls but he was a long shot to be drafted when he entered the draft and even more to land on a team for next season because of his basketball skill.  He has a pro career still ahead of him and he may well end up in the NBA.  However, I would be absolutely stunned if he got drafted this year with his injury. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgfan4life on June 19, 2015, 03:39:10 pm
Really?  Qualls may have him on pure athleticism but not on skill and shooting ability.  Butler was a finalist for player of the year his SR season.  Qualls wasn't even in that discussion.  I love Qualls but he was a long shot to be drafted when he entered the draft and even more to land on a team for next season because of his basketball skill.  He has a pro career still ahead of him and he may well end up in the NBA.  However, I would be absolutely stunned if he got drafted this year with his injury.

Has absolutely nothing to do with how a player translates to the NBA. Tyler Hansbrough was the best player in college basketball his senior season, but wasn't close to the best pro prospect in that draft.

And you are absolutely ignorant if you think Qualls was a long shot to be drafted before the injury. He was very, very solidly in the 2nd round, and quite possibly an early 2nd round pick. That's not my opinion, that's the opinion of dozens of media members who follow the NBA for a living. You pulled that one out of your backside.

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2015/06/17/what-is-michael-qualls-draft-stock-after-acl-tear/

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25215474/ex-arkansas-wing-michael-qualls-tears-acl-in-workout-with-suns

hawgfan4life

June 19, 2015, 04:43:07 pm #6 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:53:52 pm by hawgfan4life
Quote from: Hawg Red on June 19, 2015, 04:04:51 pm
Has absolutely nothing to do with how a player translates to the NBA. Tyler Hansbrough was the best player in college basketball his senior season, but wasn't close to the best pro prospect in that draft.

And you are absolutely ignorant if you think Qualls was a long shot to be drafted before the injury. He was very, very solidly in the 2nd round, and quite possibly an early 2nd round pick. That's not my opinion, that's the opinion of dozens of media members who follow the NBA for a living. You pulled that one out of your backside.

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2015/06/17/what-is-michael-qualls-draft-stock-after-acl-tear/

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25215474/ex-arkansas-wing-michael-qualls-tears-acl-in-workout-with-suns

I may be ignorant and I know college doesn't necessarily translate to NBA.  In the player's case you named, it translated.  That was why he was drafted.  Just because a bunch of media hype a kid for a while means about as much as my opinion.  They have kids they are high on and it is a roller coaster ride all the way through the draft.  Scotty Thurman was highly thought of by a lot of people too and he went undrafted.  The NBA draft has several surprised every year and Qualls was a long shot for the draft when he declared.  He may have improved his stock significantly in workouts and very well have worked his way into a solid position in the 2nd round.  I said when he entered in the post.  That was a fact whether you agree or not.  Whether he got drafted or not would have been anybodies guess at this point.  Even had he gotten drafted, sticking with a roster for next season for Qualls would have been an uphill battle for him.  I love Qualls and wish the best but he was rolling the dice with the NBA and Europe or Developmental league was always his likely destination until he matures as a player.  Making the NBA with his skill level and height is all about timing.  Right team at the right time.  Otherwise, never happens.  There are dozens of players that were drafted in the last few years or were undrafted still trying to land in the NBA with Qualls height with better hands and shooting.  Qualls brings effort, jumping, and length for his size that most don't have but those simply don't translate to landing on a roster nearly as much as great skill.  For what it is worth!  I hope you are 100% correct and I am a total DA about this because I truly would love to see MQ get drafted and land in the NBA.   

Again, I said originally he was a long shot when he entered the draft.  As the articles said, he is all over the place and was a likely pick before the injury.  The number of foreign players dropping out has helped his position.  For all that is worth, being drafted in the 2nd round only means you got drafted in the second round.  It does not guarantee a contract like the first.  Qualls might have been better to not be drafted and sign as a free agent with the best fit. 

Regardless of what the articles say, I may be wrong (Hope I am!) and I may be an ignorant dumba$$ (My wife would say that I am!) but I will be stunned if a team uses a pick on a player that was not a sure pick, had questionable skill for the NBA level, and has an injury requiring almost a year to recover. 

Hawg Red

Qualls was unable to workout for teams due to injuries (the one where he tore his ACL was his first). He entered the draft as a likely 2nd rounder. I'm not sure else he could have done not being able to work out that would have raised his draft stock.

Teams draft guys with less potential than Qualls every year. Now, yes, the injury makes it hard for him to get drafted, but there's still absolutely a chance. Philly has 5 2nd round picks. There will be teams that don't want someone for next year's roster anyway (happens all the time, even with US college players). A torn ACL doesn't scare teams off like it used to. Qualls is an elite athlete with an elite motor and a lot of defensive potential. He was never a longshot to be drafted. That's what I'm taking exception to here, this thought that he was not firmly on the NBA radar upon declaration.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 19, 2015, 05:31:20 pm
Qualls was unable to workout for teams due to injuries (the one where he tore his ACL was his first). He entered the draft as a likely 2nd rounder. I'm not sure else he could have done not being able to work out that would have raised his draft stock.

Teams draft guys with less potential than Qualls every year. Now, yes, the injury makes it hard for him to get drafted, but there's still absolutely a chance. Philly has 5 2nd round picks. There will be teams that don't want someone for next year's roster anyway (happens all the time, even with US college players). A torn ACL doesn't scare teams off like it used to. Qualls is an elite athlete with an elite motor and a lot of defensive potential. He was never a longshot to be drafted. That's what I'm taking exception to here, this thought that he was not firmly on the NBA radar upon declaration.

I would love to see Qualls drafted, but at this juncture, don't hold your breath.

Hawg Red

I'm not saying he will or won't. I'm saying we shouldn't be close the book on it because it is still very possible.

Hawghiggs

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 19, 2015, 08:27:43 pm
I'm not saying he will or won't. I'm saying we shouldn't be close the book on it because it is still very possible.

I hope all goes well

hawgfan4life

Quote from: chiefhawg on June 21, 2015, 11:41:33 am
This deserves it's own Father's Day thread.

Sorry, but no it does not deserve it's own Father's Day thread.  Chris Rock had a pretty funny bit a few years back where he made light of Parents who bragged, "I take care of my kid!"  The care comment was for things that normally would be common sense, basic parenting.  His comment was, "What do you want?  A Cookie?!  You're supposed to take care of your kid!" 

Qualls is to be commended for doing well in school and placing himself in position to graduate college with a few more hours of school.  He is commended for working so hard at his basketball skill that he developed himself into a professional caliber basketball player.  However, he does not deserve Father of the Year for quitting school early to attempt to land on a pro basketball team with a fall-back on going to Europe.  He is clearly doing some good things and has positioned himself to be able to take care of his child but there are several points that I won't mention that negate greatness for the overall situation.

The most important thing is he appears to love his son, intends to truly provide for his son, and he is in position to graduate and even be a professional athlete when he recovers.  Even if BB does not work out as a player, he has demonstrated the kind of work ethic that will help him be successful.  No fault in any of those things.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 19, 2015, 05:31:20 pm

We will never know for sure.  I wish you had been right and I wish he had been drafted.  No argument that Qualls had a ton of potential.  He had great length for his height, great energy/intensity/motor, and elite athleticism.  His shooting and ball handling were a little scary for teams as well as his overall speed after his first step.  I agree he had worked his way into likely being drafted but that didn't occur until the very end of the season.  Likely being drafted is far better than a longshot but he was never guaranteed to be drafted.  There was still more than a little chance he might go undrafted simply because of his suspensions in the past, questionable offensive skills, and how many foreigners were going to be drafted.  2nd round is always a crap shoot. 

In my mind, the best scenario was for Qualls to go undrafted and sign as a free agent to the team he believed he fit the best and then go overseas if necessary.  No matter what happens, I fully expect to hear Qualls name in the future making a splash and making a strong run at an NBA team's roster. 

thirrdegreetusker

Can a NBA team draft him now, and wait until the eve of the 2016 draft to actually sign him? That way they can gauge his rehab progress, and evaluate later.

Didn't Boston draft Bird the first year he was eligible to be drafted, but then he played his senior year, and was signed before the draft?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 26, 2015, 02:40:51 pm
Can a NBA team draft him now, and wait until the eve of the 2016 draft to actually sign him? That way they can gauge his rehab progress, and evaluate later.

Didn't Boston draft Bird the first year he was eligible to be drafted, but then he played his senior year, and was signed before the draft?

He went undrafted. A team could sign him.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

LRrazorback

Anyone know if Qualls got signed by a team?  Or what his status will be in 6 months after rehab?