Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NWA should be blacked out

Started by WhatsitHOGabout, February 19, 2014, 08:45:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatsitHOGabout

Attendance is pitiful for a team playing this well.

popcornhog

I don't mean to be a Debbie downer because I love watching this team right now, but "well" should mean at the very least an NCAAT lock.

The team is improving, but they've got a ways to go.

We need as much tv exposure to fans and potential recruits as possible at this point.
WPS

WhatsitHOGabout

Blacking out NWA would not affect either of your points.

Blacking out NWA would make the fans show up instead of staying home.

If you can drive to the game within an hour and can afford a ticket you should be there shouting your lungs out.  :-)

micali

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on February 19, 2014, 08:58:17 pm

If you can drive to the game within an hour and can afford a ticket you should be there shouting your lungs out.  :-)

Blacking out the game would just make me listen to it on the radio.  It wouldn't make me drive to the game.  8 o'clock games are late for a lot of working people who have to be up at 5 am.  These late games really hurt attendance.
We are doing better but we haven't done much but win one road game to an average Vandy team and have taken care of things at home, what we are supposed to do.  If we go and win at Ms sT and beat KY then I can see your point. 

popcornhog

Should is subjective.

I'm all about blacking out non-sell outs once we've re-established ourselves as a tourney lock.

For now I want anyone who is interested enough to turn on the tv to be able to watch.
WPS

Mick Hogger

Heck, tonight we're lucky if most fans can find the game.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hog.goblin

PorkRinds

Are you there?

WhatsitHOGabout

I am thinking if some lazy fans were at the game we might be up more than three points with 4 minutes to go!

WhatsitHOGabout

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 19, 2014, 09:49:03 pm
Are you there?

I am in Oregon.  If I was in NWA I would be there.  What a stoopid question!

WhatsitHOGabout

Apathetic lazy NWA fans are why this game is close.

WhatsitHOGabout

Great game Hogs!

You deserve better fans than you have in Northwest Arkansas.

PygmalionEffect

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on February 19, 2014, 09:54:27 pm

How am I supposed to know you're in Oregon? I was just going to ask how the people that were there were doing cheering on the hogs. Someone had a bad day.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on February 19, 2014, 10:06:17 pm
Great game Hogs!

You deserve better fans than you have in Northwest Arkansas.

Anyone that says stuff like this and has an avatar like that can't be helped.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on February 19, 2014, 08:45:29 pm

Move all games on campus.

Mick Hogger

There won't be any blackouts with the SEC Network starting up. It's all about getting eyes on it.
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

downsouthhawg72

I haven't missed a home game this year. I stay in Little Rock. At the store on the way back now. Not saying everybody from down south should do it but what I am saying is the people in & around NWA should be ashamed of themselves. We can put 50k fans in for the football red & white game but can't put 18k in for a basketball game & it shouldn't be no problem for at least 15k suppose to be fans from up this way to go to the game.  Pathetic!!!
DownSouthHawg

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on February 19, 2014, 10:28:05 pm
I haven't missed a home game this year. I stay in Little Rock. At the store on the way back now. Not saying everybody from down south should do it but what I am saying is the people in & around NWA should be ashamed of themselves. We can put 50k fans in for the football red & white game but can't put 18k in for a basketball game & it shouldn't be no problem for at least 15k suppose to be fans from up this way to go to the game.  Pathetic!!!

Football Red &'White game is free on a spring Sat. Afternoon.
South Carolina is 10-15 on a Wed. Night not to mention a 8:00 start with $25 per ticket (+ parking). I had a meeting & couldn't go. Wish I could have gone but I'm not going to criticize others for not going.
Just a thought....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

brenthog

I was going to go but an 8pm start is too late with a 4 yr old and my wife and I having to be at work at 7am. With traffic we wouldnt have gotten home till almost 11pm.

Hogfaniam

And Wednesday night is a church night.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hogsanity

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on February 19, 2014, 09:50:31 pm
I am thinking if some lazy fans were at the game we might be up more than three points with 4 minutes to go!

Yes poor ft shooting poor fg shooting and iffy defense had nothing to do with it.  Nope all the fans fault.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountieDawg

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on February 19, 2014, 09:54:27 pm

Why are you in Oregon? If you are a true hog fan and supporter of the program you would live in Fayetteville and be at the game.
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on February 19, 2014, 10:28:05 pm

OK I am just being and antagonist but Circuit City went out of business because Best Buy had a better atmosphere. The basketball program has been Circuit City for 20 years, but I have been to 80 percent of the home games...
SEC!

OldCoot

You go ahead and push for blacked out games after some 10 years of a horrible excuse for a basketball program and see what that does for Razorback Basketball.

hogsanity

Why should the games be blacked out in NWA or anywhere else.  As for last night, what did you really expect with an 8pm start between 2 teams under .500 in the SEC? 

For other games, the times have been horrible, the weather and roads were bad for at least 2 if not 3 home games.  6pm games are too early for people from very far away to come unless they take off work, and if they have kids they have to wait for school to get out too.  Even coming from just FS for a 5pm game is not easy. 8pm games are just as bad for different reasons.  Plus Tuesday night is HS babsketball night, Thursday is jrbball and WEd lots of people have church activities.

It is not like football where you have 4 or 5 games in FAY, basketball has 9 conf games plus 7 or 8 ooc games, and people are not going to fill up bwa 17 times a year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

majp51

First off, we are getting better, but the team is not playing "well"

Second any ticket is $25 in the available seating. Available seating is currently bad nosebleed seats. I've been in a fair number of those seats  over the years, and you don't really get to watch a basketball game, you get to attend. So unless you are single, you are spending at least $50, Married with kids means the minimum you are spending is $100, which gets us to the next point.

3rd, better or not, Playing "well" or not, we still aren't putting an exciting product on the floor. We shot under 40% from the field again last night. Even blacking out an event you are not going to see a lot of people  shelling out $100 to watch a brick party against one of the worst teams in a mediocre conference (basketball wise).

And until we start winning consistently enough to make a NCAA Tourney appearance expected, then all a blackout does is help people in the blackout area forget that anyone is even playing at all.

aristotle

So in a gist, we won the game. And it is NWA's fault it got blacked out.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: aristotle on February 20, 2014, 09:06:26 am
So in a gist, we won the game. And it is NWA's fault it got blacked out.

Where was the game "blacked out"?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

pillowhog

Playing this well?  LMAO.  Funny stuff man

hobhog

Black out the whole state for non sell outs, for basketball and football as far as I am concerned. College sports are overexposed and TV is dirtectly responsible for reduced attendance.

I remember being on TV MEANT something. You were a team that people wanted to watch. Now, your on because you are required to be.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: hobhog on February 20, 2014, 03:17:38 pm
Black out the whole state for non sell outs, for basketball and football as far as I am concerned. College sports are overexposed and TV is dirtectly responsible for reduced attendance.

I remember being on TV MEANT something. You were a team that people wanted to watch. Now, your on because you are required to be.
Thank God the game wasn't in LR. NWA would not let Central Arkansas forget this! Yes NWA you need the whole state. This is embarrassing for NWA for sure. Incredible!
I love off season Football!!

Mick Hogger

There's no point in discussing any blackouts in either football or basketball. The TV contracts are paying way too much money for a game not to be televised because some tickets aren't sold. The difference is made up in the TV revenue.

98hogs

Ticket prices are a factor for families

Wayne Watson

If you have an 8:00 game, people have to go to work the next day.  Attendance may be low.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

razorbackfan5591

Blacking out NWA will not matter in my opinion. We have been so irrelevant for so long that fan interest is not there anymore, at least not by large numbers of fans. As a season ticket holder who lives 30 minutes from campus, I attend all games unless sickness or work conflicts arise. I could not attend the Kentucky game and could NOT give the tickets away for free...THE KENTUCKY GAME. My wife works on campus and could not sell them...for $25.00 for the pair. She then tried to give them away and no one was interested except for a GA who was happy to go. He was new to the area wanted to attend his first razorback game. The magic left years ago and may never return...especially at $50.00 for a pair of tickets that many will not take for free.

The real Hogules

I took my 13-year-old to Wednesday's contest against USC-E.
We live about 20 minutes South of Fort Smith and we didn't make it home until around 11:30.

For families with children who attend school, that's a little late to be happening on a regular basis.

The crowd was alright, as far as participation goes, but was a shell of what it was like a decade or so ago.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

beebefootballfan

QuoteThe crowd was alright, as far as participation goes, but was a shell of what it was like a decade or so ago.

is caused by

QuoteI took my 13-year-old to Wednesday's contest against USC-E.
We live about 20 minutes South of Fort Smith and we didn't make it home until around 11:30.

For families with children who attend school, that's a little late to be happening on a regular basis

Back in the day, kids got their sleep on the way home, and went to school half asleep the next day, but it didn't matter, because Hog games were the place to be.

Then we started sucking, and mentalities changed.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

wholehog92

The crowd we had would have filled Barnhill in the early 90s.

Honestly, the level of basketball being consistently played isn't worth the price of admission.  So on an 8:00 PM Wednesday game being televised, you probably aren't going to have many takers.

I've been to a lot of games this year, I was out of town and couldn't make that particular one, but I certainly won't attempt to shame anyone who chose not to.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 20, 2014, 07:23:19 pm
If you have an 8:00 game, people have to go to work the next day.  Attendance may be low.
Has this always been a problem? Does this finally prove to fans we are a potentialTop Ten Program(those days has pass us buy). Do the Elite Programs have a problem getting 50% attendance. Don't blame it on the time of the Game. It is a reminder of how far our Program has fallen. Too much time has past since the glory days to get it back. The economy will not allow the central Arkansas influence make those midweek games like the good old days.
I love off season Football!!

Atlhogfan1

As a former NWA resident and season ticket holder, 8:00 games are great.  Don't have to leave the office early.  Don't have to rush home and choke down dinner or do without.  Don't have to find backroads to campus instead of traveling down 540 if you come from that direction as you have more time to get there.  8 vs 7 or 6 is a nice tipoff time.

The attendance problem was supposed to have been solved if we hired Mike. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

East Clintwood

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 20, 2014, 08:31:11 am
OK I am just being and antagonist but Circuit City went out of business because Best Buy had a better atmosphere. The basketball program has been Circuit City for 20 years, but I have been to 80 percent of the home games...

I shopped regularly at Circuit City.  I haven't set foot in a Best Buy in about 15 years.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2014, 11:52:58 am
As a former NWA resident and season ticket holder, 8:00 games are great.  Don't have to leave the office early.  Don't have to rush home and choke down dinner or do without.  Don't have to find backroads to campus instead of traveling down 540 if you come from that direction as you have more time to get there.  8 vs 7 or 6 is a nice tipoff time.

The attendance problem was supposed to have been solved if we hired Mike. 

So was our post-season tournament problem.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Johnboy

Quote from: majp51 on February 20, 2014, 09:05:03 am
First off, we are getting better, but the team is not playing "well"

Second any ticket is $25 in the available seating. Available seating is currently bad nosebleed seats. I've been in a fair number of those seats  over the years, and you don't really get to watch a basketball game, you get to attend. So unless you are single, you are spending at least $50, Married with kids means the minimum you are spending is $100, which gets us to the next point.

3rd, better or not, Playing "well" or not, we still aren't putting an exciting product on the floor. We shot under 40% from the field again last night. Even blacking out an event you are not going to see a lot of people  shelling out $100 to watch a brick party against one of the worst teams in a mediocre conference (basketball wise).

And until we start winning consistently enough to make a NCAA Tourney appearance expected, then all a blackout does is help people in the blackout area forget that anyone is even playing at all.

This is horse crap.  There is not a bad seat in Bud Walton.  It's one of the great things about that arena.  Complain about something else, but saying you are in "bad nosebleed" seats isn't gonna hold water. 

WhatsitHOGabout

WhatsitHOGabout

Quote from: pillowhog on February 20, 2014, 01:59:42 pm
Playing this well?  LMAO.  Funny stuff man

;) Button's pushed!  Success!

WhatsitHOGabout

Quote from: hobhog on February 20, 2014, 03:17:38 pm

WORD!

WhatsitHOGabout

Quote from: Mick Hogger on February 19, 2014, 10:23:30 pm
There won't be any blackouts with the SEC Network starting up. It's all about getting eyes on it.

The SEC network is going to make the problem worse.  Where people used to have to go to games to see their team play, now they can count on every SEC game on TV in the comfort of their living rooms.  This leads to less ticket sales and less donations to the program.  This leads to generations of fans that do not get the pleasure of learning what it is like to be a Hog fan. (I blame the parents!)  My point is that Hog fans that live within one hour of Fayetteville could and should go to the games.  It does not matter the record of the teams, more apathy!  Apathy is not an excuse people!  If Bud Walton is 80% full with real Hog fans then our team does not lose.  It is about the team and if you are not going for whatever reason you are not a true Hog fan.  When I lived in Arkansas you could not buy season tickets, now anyone can buy them.  If I lived in Arkansas especially NWA I would be at every game and my kids would be right beside me learning the Hog call and every other chant.  We would be horse from yelling the entire game.  It is about the kids that represent your school and supporting them.  It used to mean something to red blooded southern folks to support your country, your troops and your Hogs!  Not anymore, it is all about what is or is not convenient for me.  Why go to the game when I can sit at home and complain on Hogville anonymously.  To many ME people on this board.  Sad and it is only going to get worse.  Unless we are a top ten team playing a top ten team will we see BWA full again.  Shame on some of you who have the privilege to live in NWA and cannot find your way to a game on a Wednesday night.  I know that not all can make it but come on some of you are just lazy and I am calling you out for it!  >:(

Silence O the Hams

Quote from: East Clintwood on February 21, 2014, 12:59:50 pm
I shopped regularly at Circuit City.  I haven't set foot in a Best Buy in about 15 years.

It will be longer than 15 years for CC