Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It is NOT time to empty the stadium

Started by FANONTHEHILL, November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RexMentor

Wow. Absolutely gut-wrenching thread. I am a person who was brought up pulling for the Razorbacks. The ONLY time I didn't pull for the team was when I was covering the team for a statewide newspaper (early 70s to 1980s). I had to be objective because I was paid to be objective. I watched  my father in 1967 (a rough year), sitting on a chair in the living room, listening to the Hogs on the radio. He was wrapped in a red blanket, wearing a red hat. He would rub the hat over his head every time the Hogs scored. That was all he could do because he was dying of cancer. He never saw what the program return to national power in the late 60s. He never saw a word I wrote in print. But he pulled for his Hogs and taught us to do so, as well.
I can see the way things are now and they aren't good. I can see what the last five years is doing to the fan base.
I never thought I'd see what I've seen this year -- a coach and coaches seeming at a loss as to how to turn this thing around. I never seen desperate drowning men in real life, wildly reaching for something, anything to grab and save themselves, but it has to look a lot like this.
I've never seen what I'm seeing from the fan base -- the father of a player asking, almost pleading, for support in terms of attendance at a game. I've never seen what I'm seeing from some of this fan base -- mouth-frothing anger and wild-eyed frustration.
Advising patience is appropriate but unheeded.
No matter what happens, this wound will take time, much time to heal. And, in the mean time, coaches, their families and players and their families and fans and their families have to endure. FOTH you have my prayers as do the rest of the team.
For the rest of you -- never let your anger at the way things are going cost you your class.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 01:53:55 pm
Does a normal college student who is half assing it and making Ds and Fs deserve your support or does someone need to tell him to quit wasting everyone's time and get a job? 

Long past time for someone to read the riot act to these kids. Wearing that uniform is a privilege and if they don't have enough pride to do better than they are doing no matter what kind of a fat slob coach they have, then they need to quit wasting everyone's time.

You may not have attended college, so I'll try to help out:
1. not every student capable of going to college is going to be an A or B student. [If a player is giving everything they have and that isn't good enough that is not their fault...it is a problem within the program that better options don't exist]
2. some programs dictate that a percentage of all students in their classes will earn Ds and Fs (even if scoring well above that). [Alabama runs off better talent than many teams put on the field]
3. who makes any of us equipped to determine if a player plays with "passion"? Execution? Sure, some of us are capable of assessing technique or scheme. But, passion? [A more fair critique would be to demonstrate greater urgency in proving they want to win, but that is about critiquing players dorking around on the sidelines, for example, not underwhelming when playing]
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 01:55:48 pm
Leave the Army analogies to those of us who have actually been in it.

But, I didn't ask you to serve. I didn't ask you to go play Roman soldier at some colonial outpost (see how that feels? that is what you are doing to players)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: wildhogman on November 05, 2017, 02:12:11 pm
You really think your the only who served?  I knew I didn't like you, but you sir are a pompous arrogant egotistical ass. 
I have more respect for the men in the army who did no more the peel tators for 4 years then I ever would you

Your stock went up a notch.

Oklahawg

Quote from: RexMentor on November 05, 2017, 02:42:58 pm
Wow. Absolutely gut-wrenching thread. I am a person who was brought up pulling for the Razorbacks. The ONLY time I didn't pull for the team was when I was covering the team for a statewide newspaper (early 70s to 1980s). I had to be objective because I was paid to be objective. I watched  my father in 1967 (a rough year), sitting on a chair in the living room, listening to the Hogs on the radio. He was wrapped in a red blanket, wearing a red hat. He would rub the hat over his head every time the Hogs scored. That was all he could do because he was dying of cancer. He never saw what the program return to national power in the late 60s. He never saw a word I wrote in print. But he pulled for his Hogs and taught us to do so, as well.
I can see the way things are now and they aren't good. I can see what the last five years is doing to the fan base.
I never thought I'd see what I've seen this year -- a coach and coaches seeming at a loss as to how to turn this thing around. I never seen desperate drowning men in real life, wildly reaching for something, anything to grab and save themselves, but it has to look a lot like this.
I've never seen what I'm seeing from the fan base -- the father of a player asking, almost pleading, for support in terms of attendance at a game. I've never seen what I'm seeing from some of this fan base -- mouth-frothing anger and wild-eyed frustration.
No matter what happens, this wound will take time, much time to heal. And, in the mean time, coaches, their families and players and their families and fans and their families have to endure. FOTH you have my prayers as do the rest of the team.
For the rest of you -- never let your anger at the way things are going cost you your class.

A stunning read. Thank you for posting this!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hogtimes on November 05, 2017, 02:29:03 pm
Nope... have to disagree

They are amateurs not professionals.

Sad state of affairs when this type of disconnect occurs. THIS is the problem, not the players. But, you didn't insult others with the post so I'll leave it as "we will have to agree to disagree".

FANONTHEHILL

To be honest, the fact my son is in the team has very little to do with the original post.  The fact he is allowed part of the team allowed me to speak to a recruits family member, that's the only thing he has to do with it.  I have seen inside the program and recruiting process enough to know that fan support is a huge part of recruiting.  In all honesty, I hope he's done playing after this year.  He'll have his two degrees in the spring and can start grad school after only 3 years of college.  His future is secure. It's the future of the football program that is more of a concern.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

go hogues

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm
At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question? 
If the parent was smart, they would know the answer. Has the parent not been following what this team has been through this season?

This happens everywhere when the product on the field stinks. A&M fans are supposed to be God's gift to spirit and I noticed their ginormous stadium was only about 2/3 full yesterday for a DIVISION game with AUBURN.

Also, at Arkansas there is a significant number of people who drive up from central Arkansas. Why would they come to a game vs. a SunBelt school, especially in a year full of bs and no clear sign from the University's leadership about the future of the program? 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: go hogues on November 05, 2017, 02:54:35 pm
If the parent was smart, they would know the answer. Has the parent not been following what this team has been through this season?

This happens everywhere when the product on the field stinks. A&M fans are supposed to be God's gift to spirit and I noticed their ginormous stadium was only about 2/3 full yesterday for a DIVISION game with AUBURN.

Also, at Arkansas there is a significant number of people who drive up from central Arkansas. Why would they come to a game vs. a SunBelt school, especially in a year full of bs and no clear sign from the University's leadership about the future of the program? 
I'll just tell them to go to Auburn next time.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: hogz11 on November 05, 2017, 12:33:50 pm
When the "head coach" starts getting pissy at media members for asking legit tough questions and then takes a shot at fans in the same presser, you can forget it.

I won't be spending another Saturday in DWRRS until change comes. Doesn't mean I'm not a Razorback fan and it doesn't mean I don't support the players. But this "head coach" has this program in the crapper. Heck I listened to Cole Kelly's post game presser and he had the same attitude as Bert. Acted like he didn't understand what everyone's problem was. "A win is a win." "Coastal Carolina is a good team."

No one is buying that crap anymore or wants to hear it. The time for change is yesterday.

Drain the swamp

Get it done

CBB did not take any shots at the fans

That was a low blow and you should apologize

Rudy Baylor

Repeat: I watched the entire presser; CBB said absolutely nothing derogatory towards the fans. No insinuating, nothing.

East Clintwood

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 05, 2017, 01:13:41 pm

.  .  .
You are correct; for those kids who did not grow up wanting to be Razorbacks, there has to be a selling point. Legitimate shot at a national title, a path to the NFL, the environment, the head coach, SOMETHING.

And right now we have none of that to offer, even the environment.

Even if the stadium was filled, you yourself commented at how the atmosphere was strange.

Silence, people sitting on their hands, making wisecracks about the coaches.  You might be able to shame or cajole fans into attending but you can't force them to be happy or enthusiastic.

Right now I don't see us successfully recruiting any player that didn't grow up with the thought of being a Razorback.

The sooner Bert and Jeffy are replaced, the quicker we can try to repair all of the damage they've caused.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

The people of Arkansas get from 5 to 7 opportunities to go to a Hog football home game annually.  It is a big deal.  It takes up what for many is valuable time.  Often this time could be spent earning a better life for the entire family.  When the trip is entertaining folks decide that the trip is worth the effort and money invested.  When it is a flop, they see it quite different.

I can say I totally support the players on this team.  I do not have any proof that any one of the players is in any way at fault for the overall level of this team.  Coaches are to get the best available from the talent, attitude and mental condition of these players.  These players will act out as the situation exists to allow them to act.  To send a player to be COACHED by these coaches is doing a disservice to the individual player.  Look at the kids who have not had a fair and just opportunity to display their true value to the team.  We don't know how many players have been screwed out of their once in a lifetime opportunity to go live their dreams, dreams that likely turned into nightmares due to the pitiful abilities of this staff and administration. 

If Bret would have been removed from being the team HC after the loss to TCU, some hopefully bright new energetic coach would have been out among the crowd taking care of the incoming visiting recruits.  The crowd would have likely been pretty special and that Dad might have had no reason to ask a legitimate question.  Somewhere along the way, the highly paid Administration of this University needs to know and understand these exact problems FOTH pointed out and do their job.  Truth is we fans have on way to produce pressure other than going the union route.  Band together and revolt, strike, refuse, march, banner up, and state our position.  Its ugly and often fails and yes, sometimes it hurts.  Often the innocent suffer but its with the belief that better times will be worth the efforts.  PLEASE REMEMBER, WE FANS DIDN'T CREATE THIS MESS, MANAGEMENT DID.

hobhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 02:56:59 pm

Don't let the posters on this board get to you. 99% don't and haven't gone to the games in years anyway.....not a good representation of fanbase.

RexMentor

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 02:54:16 pm
To be honest, the fact my son is in the team has very little to do with the original post.  The fact he is allowed part of the team allowed me to speak to a recruits family member, that's the only thing he has to do with it.  I have seen inside the program and recruiting process enough to know that fan support is a huge part of recruiting.  In all honesty, I hope he's done playing after this year.  He'll have his two degrees in the spring and can start grad school after only 3 years of college.  His future is secure. It's the future of the football program that is more of a concern.

Congratulations to your son. Two degrees in three years plus the time it takes to be part of the football program is a real accomplishment. You have a right to be proud.
And, I think your last sentence is the crux of the matter.

luke hawg

People are mad, that's understandable.  But don't stop attending games.  Get on the phone, write an email, write a letter.  Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor.  The reason I say this is because it really doesn't hurt the university to have an empty seat that they've already sold. 

But here is something that does hurt the program.  My son is a redshirt sophomore.  He has two more years.  I want 2018 and 2019 to be better.  But I also want 2020 and beyond to be even better than that.  At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question?  Young men that could help this team in the future are watching what the fans are doing this year.  If the recruits don't think they'll be supported, they could likely come back to Razorback Stadium on the other sideline.  Think about that before you boycott games.

I know you're pissed off.  I'm pissed off.  But for the sake of the future of the program you need to show players, current and thise that could potentially help this program, that you will be there for them.  Please keep this in mind when you consider the Miss St and Mizzou games.

I will root for the team till the end but people aren't paying the money because we aren't worth watching. Bret has been year almost a full 5 years and needs to win 2 of 3 to stay another season. This program needs to show its worth right now. It's put up or shut up time. I honestly believe we are on the cusp of turning this thing over. The talent is there just got to get it done.

Rudy Baylor

I'm getting some Gag Me With A Spoon on both sides of this argument

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jst01 on November 05, 2017, 12:19:34 pm
You should have said "it's a vote against the coach, not the players".  Don't try and tell us that grown adults don't understand the issue at hand

Weak comeback.
[CENSORED]!

hobhog

Quote from: 12247 on November 05, 2017, 03:06:22 pm
The people of Arkansas get from 5 to 7 opportunities to go to a Hog football home game annually.  It is a big deal.  It takes up what for many is valuable time.  Often this time could be spent earning a better life for the entire family.  When the trip is entertaining folks decide that the trip is worth the effort and money invested.  When it is a flop, they see it quite different.

I can say I totally support the players on this team.  I do not have any proof that any one of the players is in any way at fault for the overall level of this team.  Coaches are to get the best available from the talent, attitude and mental condition of these players.  These players will act out as the situation exists to allow them to act.  To send a player to be COACHED by these coaches is doing a disservice to the individual player.  Look at the kids who have not had a fair and just opportunity to display their true value to the team.  We don't know how many players have been screwed out of their once in a lifetime opportunity to go live their dreams, dreams that likely turned into nightmares due to the pitiful abilities of this staff and administration. 

If Bret would have been removed from being the team HC after the loss to TCU, some hopefully bright new energetic coach would have been out among the crowd taking care of the incoming visiting recruits.  The crowd would have likely been pretty special and that Dad might have had no reason to ask a legitimate question.  Somewhere along the way, the highly paid Administration of this University needs to know and understand these exact problems FOTH pointed out and do their job.  Truth is we fans have on way to produce pressure other than going the union route.  Band together and revolt, strike, refuse, march, banner up, and state our position.  Its ugly and often fails and yes, sometimes it hurts.  Often the innocent suffer but its with the belief that better times will be worth the efforts.  PLEASE REMEMBER, WE FANS DIDN'T CREATE THIS MESS, MANAGEMENT DID.

Wow. Should have fired him in week 3 and that would have cured everything huh? You must have a sports management masters degree. I don't know why all these programs underachieving haven't fired their coach already. If only had your insight and skills running a program.

Silver Hog

we vote with our feet. Get a good coach and the seats will be filled. 

grassroothog

Class? lol. Sorry but 70,00 Hog fans yelling wps came to me.

luke hawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 05, 2017, 03:05:39 pm
I hate our "fans".

Ohhh we are terrible and definitely hinder our own program. We also pale in comparison to other rural state fanbases. We get what we deserve.

East Clintwood

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 05, 2017, 01:31:21 pm
No, dwindling attendance is a precursor to dropping ticket sales. It sends a message without actually setting the program back financially.

In addition to that, attendance numbers being down significantly for the remainder of this season sends the message right now, in time that it might effect current decisions being made at seasons end.

Not renewing donations and tickets in the spring is already too late - Bert will have been retained for 2018 and we'll have to live through this all over again.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

RexMentor

I wasn't talking about the 70,000 fans yelling wps in the stadium. That should have been obvious.

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: hogz11 on November 05, 2017, 12:34:53 pm
Yet the sunshine pumping rainbow colored unicorn thinkers won't undestand this.
Drain the swamp.

Wow......this is a game the last time I checked.
I was there yesterday until the end and I'm glad I stayed.

Augustus

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 02:04:54 pm
I haven't demanded anything.  The post was to remind people that fan support is a major aspect of recruiting.  Recruits and their families pay attention. The attendance reflects poorly on recruiting and the future of the program.

Actually you were demanding something from fans.

I'm quoting you: "But don't stop attending games"

Again, I'm sorry for the situation your son & you have to endure, presently... but the quickest way to correct that is a coaching (and AD) change.  And the quickest way to voice to the UofA Admin, BoT, etc... is for fans to not show up on Saturdays.

Also... when your son decided to commit to the UofA... was it because of Saturday attendance? Or was it because of the overall opportunity the UofA has to offer?

I hope it was the latter.

Forgive me for using your son as an argument point, but you opened that box when using your son as emotional leverage to try to support your narrative.

code red

My season tickets are worthless. You think I'm going to drive 600 miles to watch that garbage? I can't even give them away.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jneal56

People are mad, that's understandable.  But don't stop attending games.  Get on the phone, write an email, write a letter.  Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor.  The reason I say this is because it really doesn't hurt the university to have an empty seat that they've already sold. 

But here is something that does hurt the program.  My son is a redshirt sophomore.  He has two more years.  I want 2018 and 2019 to be better.  But I also want 2020 and beyond to be even better than that.  At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question?  Young men that could help this team in the future are watching what the fans are doing this year.  If the recruits don't think they'll be supported, they could likely come back to Razorback Stadium on the other sideline.  Think about that before you boycott games.

I know you're pissed off.  I'm pissed off.  But for the sake of the future of the program you need to show players, current and thise that could potentially help this program, that you will be there for them.  Please keep this in mind when you consider the Miss St and Mizzou games.

I understand what you're saying but empty seats, paid for or not, is what sends the loudest message. The phone calls, emails and letters are all safely placed in File 13. When people don't show up, even though the seats are paid for, that is when they take notice because it's a matter of time before those empty seats are no longer paid for. The visiting parent mis-took what was really going on. Nobody has turned on the players and if they have, shame on them. I wonder how many of the current players parents would have attended that game if their son was not a member of the team, yourself included. I'm saying that negatively, I'm just simply stating that the product is not what anyone wants to show up and see. This is personal for you, and rightfully so, because your son is on the team. Guess what. It's personal for everyone else as well when asked to watch a product on the field that is not what they paid for.

Asking a family of 4 to come and support the Hogs only to watch the mess that is unfolding in front of us is a lot to ask when you're talking about a minimum of $200 upwards to $1000 for the game with food, lodging and so forth. Regardless if it's right or wrong, everybody takes it personal and very serious. Yet at the end of the day it is only a game. Just a game.....that can be seen on television and the money that family would have spent on the hill can now be spent on a weekend getaway somewhere else. You still get to be a family watching the hogs on TV and you still get the adventure of a great weekend with the family doing something that is out of the normal every day happenings.

I know the guys we have on this team are great kids, pretty good football players as well as pretty good students. Problem is, showing up to support them as you say, also sends the message that we are supporting everything else that is going wrong. I have only been to a couple of games during the CBB era and it was solely for taking my daughter to watch her first hog game and share those memories with her. I used to be a season ticket holder. Got rid of them during the latter part of the Nutty and was in the process of buying someones tickets every year who due to health was going to quit donating and buying his season tickets every year but he passed away before we were able to figure out a way to have them transferred. He held those seats for 52 years, behind the parents 45 yard line 10 rows up. I hate it for you as parents and the players as well. They deserve much better.
"At least we are moral"

Hogsfan1981

Minds have already been made up. Things are already in motion. This is like trying to stop a speeding train.

I don't care whether they fire Long or not but he created this. Maybe he didn't do it alone but he will take the hit.

Another poster made this good point. There is this feeling that no one on the hill is listening to fans. Media getting treated odd for asking normal questions and fans getting their loyalty called into question.

When you create that kind of atmosphere/culture then people will look to extremes to be heard. Whether justified or not. They will do whatever they feel like they need to. Jeff Long is responsible for that.

Not going to games is one option and quite frankly it is a effective one and seems quite reasonable. In fact, it is a very normal response from fans around all sports. Most casual fans don't stop going to games to get someone fired. They just won't show up because it is not entertaining. People just want to spend their money on something of value.

Do you find our current team entertaining to watch?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:58:34 pm
When you can't market a coaching staff that you are uncertain will remain in place, you market facilities and fan base.  What people could be doing by not coming to games  is putting program another 5 years back.

I am afraid that already is where the program is. You are right about how better programs have relentless fan support, but Arkansas isn't a better program and doesn't have it. Wish it were different, but it is not.
[CENSORED]!

go hogues

Quote from: luke hawg on November 05, 2017, 03:14:29 pm
Ohhh we are terrible and definitely hinder our own program. We also pale in comparison to other rural state fanbases. We get what we deserve.
TF you talking about? Surely you're being sarcastic.

According to Forbes, we are the 13th most profitable program in the country. Admirable for a bunch of hicks, yeah? Especially admirable given the fact that our football program has basically been in one scandal or another since about 2004.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-20-most-profitable-college-football-teams-122215/

Other well known rural programs like Nebraska and West Virginia aren't anywhere in sight.

Quit making ish up. Our fans are bogged down by the weight of the BS. When it subsides, they'll come back. No one is asking for NC's, just competitive football.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: go hogues on November 05, 2017, 03:26:49 pm
TF you talking about? Surely you're being sarcastic.

According to Forbes, we are the 13th most profitable program in the country. Admirable for a bunch of hicks, yeah? Especially admirable given the fact that our football program has basically been in one scandal or another since about 2004.
https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-20-most-profitable-college-football-teams-122215/

Other well known rural programs like Nebraska and West Virginia aren't anywhere in sight.

Quit making ish up. Our fans are bogged down by the weight of the BS. When it subsides, they'll come back. No one is asking for NC's, just competitive football.

The fact nobody is asking for NC's anymore is very telling.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Augustus on November 05, 2017, 03:17:35 pm
Actually you were demanding something from fans.

I'm quoting you: "But don't stop attending games"

Again, I'm sorry for the situation your son & you have to endure, presently... but the quickest way to correct that is a coaching (and AD) change.  And the quickest way to voice to the UofA Admin, BoT, etc... is for fans to not show up on Saturdays.

Also... when your son decided to commit to the UofA... was it because of Saturday attendance? Or was it because of the overall opportunity the UofA has to offer?

I hope it was the latter.

Forgive me for using your son as an argument point, but you opened that box when using your son as emotional leverage to try to support your narrative.
We have two totally different interpretations of "demanding".  He chose Arkansas because it was his parents Alma Mater and he had a Chancellor's Scholarship.  The only reason my son was mentioned is because that's what gave me access to the recruit parent.  There's no emotional leverage there. He'll have his two degrees in the spring.  If he walks away, good.  On to grad school.  He could quit today and my opinion of the situation wouldn't change.  Recruits pay attention to fans and what happens in the stadium in game day. That's the entire point of the post. 

hawgon

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 05, 2017, 02:44:26 pm
You may not have attended college, so I'll try to help out:
1. not every student capable of going to college is going to be an A or B student. [If a player is giving everything they have and that isn't good enough that is not their fault...it is a problem within the program that better options don't exist]
2. some programs dictate that a percentage of all students in their classes will earn Ds and Fs (even if scoring well above that). [Alabama runs off better talent than many teams put on the field]
3. who makes any of us equipped to determine if a player plays with "passion"? Execution? Sure, some of us are capable of assessing technique or scheme. But, passion? [A more fair critique would be to demonstrate greater urgency in proving they want to win, but that is about critiquing players dorking around on the sidelines, for example, not underwhelming when playing]

I'll warrant that I have as many or more degrees than you AND I work in the real world, not the pretend world of education.  These kids aren't putting out the effort.  And more importantly they are not being prepared nor preparing themselves to put out the effort.

As Bear Bryant said, "Everyone has the will to win.  But not everyone has the will to prepare to win."

Silver Hog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 05, 2017, 03:30:35 pm
The fact nobody is asking for NC's anymore is very telling.
They've beat me into simply wanting 8 win seasons.

ArkansasI

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 02:56:59 pm

I think that most all that have a choice between the two have done just that.

FOTH, you're a good man. Most Razorback fans I know - and I know many -
are good people, too.

Today, FOTH, your investment in Arkansas football is well beyond money. You have a son that is on the team. I suspect that any of us with such a precious commodity on the team would share your resilience. I know that I would.

As for me and many like me, we are spent. We've reached the limit of our return on this investment. Until the investment demanded allows our commitment to be joyous without regard to performance, we will be dismayed and occasionally angered when the product fails to meet expectations.

College football is similar to the stock market. The folks running the program must invest wisely - build a product that is marketable and works as described. They benefit significantly from our emotional ties to the university.

The third quarter results are in and they aren't good. The Hogs are a hard sell right now. The idea that people should respond differently is irrational. To change public opinion, the program must change. We've not yet seen that happening.

tophawg19

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 05, 2017, 01:46:03 pm
I wonder how many players want a change this afternoon?

I wonder how many fans do?

Cross purposes.

As for me, nothing that happens over the next three weeks will convince me that Bielema should get a sixth season at UA.
I think it's fair to say some players have quit on this staff and aren't playing hard . on the sideline , they show the same fire and Attitude as CBB . None at all . They are laughing When getting beaten. Also trash talking like they can't read the score . There is no sense of urgency among coaches and only a few players
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 03:37:39 pm
I'll warrant that I have as many or more degrees than you AND I work in the real world, not the pretend world of education.  These kids aren't putting out the effort.  And more importantly they are not being prepared nor preparing themselves to put out the effort.

As Bear Bryant said, "Everyone has the will to win.  But not everyone has the will to prepare to win."

Just so you know, some of the most brilliant people I've ever met did not have college degrees.

And, some of the biggest idiots I've ever met had multiple degrees.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Augustus

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 03:34:02 pm
We have two totally different interpretations of "demanding".  He chose Arkansas because it was his parents Alma Mater and he had a Chancellor's Scholarship.  The only reason my son was mentioned is because that's what gave me access to the recruit parent.  There's no emotional leverage there. He'll have his two degrees in the spring.  If he walks away, good.  On to grad school.  He could quit today and my opinion of the situation wouldn't change.  Recruits pay attention to fans and what happens in the stadium in game day. That's the entire point of the post.

Well, it certainly sounds like your son made the best of his time while at college. Good for him! (As a father of a 16 yr old approaching college, I mean that sincerely)

Your son obviously positioned himself to do well after college. And, that should be the goal for any student or student-athlete, whether it's in professional sports of another profession.

But, my point still stands... (and you proved my point by noting your son didn't choose the UofA because of attendance)...Saturday attendance is not about recruiting. It's a statement from fans about their discontent with the current state of the Football program.

If any recruit (or their parents) can't see that for what it's worth... they're an idiot.

hawgon

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 05, 2017, 03:47:08 pm
Just so you know, some of the most brilliant people I've ever met did not have college degrees.

And, some of the biggest idiots I've ever met had multiple degrees.

That's fine.  I would agree.  You should point that out to the guy who brought it up.

Mr Jade

You are making a demand, telling the fans to do something is a demand. It might be polite, but its still a demand. You are using an appeal to emotion to try to argue that the moral choice is to go to the game even if we don't like the coach or the product simply because your son is playing for the team and it might not look good for the next recruiting class. It also looks bad, and I think worse, when we are only better than a team that is going to get NCAA sanctions for cheating.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 03:49:12 pm
That's fine.  I would agree.  You should point that out to the guy who brought it up.

He knows...we've been disagreeing about ish for 35 years!  He's one of my best friends!

Steef

I don't doubt that recruits pay attention to attendance.

But if they ARE paying attention at yesterday's game, they also have to notice several other things that might impact their commitment decision.
1. An SEC team had all it could handle with a vastly inferior team.
2. The SEC team was poorly prepared.
3. Many of the players on the SEC team were mailing it in.
4. The coaching staff thats recruiting him is not likely to be here in three more weeks and for all he knows, he may not even have an offer after that.

If I'm a recruit and/or family of one, a full stadium is nice, but it isnt going to mitigate that.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I can sympathize with people not going to a game if the team is down, theres an investment of time and money.  However, most across the state are watching from the comfort of their couch.  I don't begrudge anyone for wanting a coaching change, getting upset over X's and O's, etc.  However, all the fairweather fans hoping we will lose just so we can replace the staff are oblivious to the harm it does.  As the OP pointed out, whats he supposed to say "go to Auburn?"  Its really amazingly simple.  The worse shape we are in the less likely top recruits will want to come here.  Fewer top recruits  and the more difficult it will be for this regime or the next to be successful.  The same goes for a coaching search, the bigger the dumpster fire the less likely you get a quality candidate.  These are the same players that will be here next year regardless of the coach.  Our calling card has always been how our fans support the team.  So complain about whatever you like, dont go to stadium, change the channel, but support the team.  And if you cant do that then stop calling yourself a hog fan.

mhuff

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 05, 2017, 01:41:34 pm
There are 105 players who deserve 100% of your support. You can root like a champ and still discreetly hope that there is a change.

Said like a true Razorback fan

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ArkansasI on November 05, 2017, 03:42:22 pm
I think that most all that have a choice between the two have done just that.

FOTH, you're a good man. Most Razorback fans I know - and I know many -
are good people, too.

Today, FOTH, your investment in Arkansas football is well beyond money. You have a son that is on the team. I suspect that any of us with such a precious commodity on the team would share your resilience. I know that I would.

As for me and many like me, we are spent. We've reached the limit of our return on this investment. Until the investment demanded allows our commitment to be joyous without regard to performance, we will be dismayed and occasionally angered when the product fails to meet expectations.

College football is similar to the stock market. The folks running the program must invest wisely - build a product that is marketable and works as described. They benefit significantly from our emotional ties to the university.

The third quarter results are in and they aren't good. The Hogs are a hard sell right now. The idea that people should respond differently is irrational. To change public opinion, the program must change. We've not yet seen that happening.

Thanks for the kind word.   The third-quarter results look a lot like October 29, 1929. Please don't think that I am in any way justifying this dismal season, the staff, or the players for that matter.  I straddle the line between fan and father and that is why I step away at times.  EVERYONE in the program takes responsibity for this season.  The old term "hold on to the rope" doesn't apply to this team.  This group is a spider web and no one is pulling in the same direction.  I should probably stop right there.

Silver Hog

This affects more than just the stadium, our Alumni watch parties have dwindled down from 40+ a game to 3 or 5 depending on the opponent. Nobody wants to drive, to watch a noon game we are going to lose, and then drive back. Mowing the yard is more productive right now. And maybe more fun.

tophawg19

Please remember , you are in a poor state so entertainment money is tight . It's hard to justify that type money for the product when the family would rather go out to eat and a movie which is far cheaper. Traveling several hundred miles just to come away disgusted makes spending a grand hard . more for some folks depending on ticket prices and location. the fact that some tickets were cut to 3 dollars tells that the staff knows there is a problem . Also keep in mind that Deer season is going on and is a major part of Arkansas life.especially since many fans also hunt so they have to chose . it's not hard when we have a bad team
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins