Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any recommendations on Grips?

Started by Patch, June 13, 2006, 12:41:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Patch

I need to replace the grips on my irons. Haven't really kept up with the latest and greatest. Anyone have any suggestions?

HogISH™

i love the standard (tan) win grips. they have a tackie feeling to them and with small hands it helps in the summer.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: HogISH™ on June 13, 2006, 07:24:29 am
i love the standard (tan) win grips. they have a tackie feeling to them and with small hands it helps in the summer.

HogISH

:razorback:

I have them too.  They are called Winn Classics.  With the tacky feel you don't have to use as much grip pressure...

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Patch

Thanks, I'll make sure to look for these grips.

Thunderhog Jr

You can order on-line at    www.golfsmith.com    I think they are about $3.85 each.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

HogISH™

make sure you get good tape and clean the shaft's really well...

HogISh
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

razorbackdan

I just got the new Winn G8 grips put on all my clubs (except 2-4 irons, which I don't use). I have the all black grips that are mid sized for my hands and for the first time ever, I can play without a glove on because of how soft and comfortable they are. the Tour grips (rubber) tear my hands up, especially when it is really hot or rainy. I had them put on at Golf HQ in Rogers, but it was $90 for 12 clubs.

Michael11

I use to use winn grips and loved them until i was playing in a tournament one day in drizzling rain and they are so slick and almost impossible to dry. I recommend the golf pride tour grip it has been my favorite. I also like a cored grip but only if you play enough to have tough hands b/c if not they will eat your hands up!
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

cadensdad

Quote from: Haight Ashbury on June 13, 2006, 01:13:23 pm
I just got the new Winn G8 grips put on all my clubs (except 2-4 irons, which I don't use). I have the all black grips that are mid sized for my hands and for the first time ever, I can play without a glove on because of how soft and comfortable they are. the Tour grips (rubber) tear my hands up, especially when it is really hot or rainy. I had them put on at Golf HQ in Rogers, but it was $90 for 12 clubs.
That is why my father and i started doing that ourselves.  We have started doing shafts and complete club making also.  If anyone is interested pm me and i will see how much i can save you the next time it is needed.

Patch

Thanks again for replies. After doing some more research, I've narrowed it down to the Winn Classic and Golf Pride Tour Velvet full cord. Winn grip is quite a bit cheaper, but I'm used to cord grips. I may do one of each on 2 of my irons to test them for a couple rounds. cadensdad, I'd give you some business, but this is a skill that I want to learn, so I'm going to attempt to do this myself. After I screw it up, I may get in touch with you to do it right.  ;)

cadensdad

Quote from: Patch on June 14, 2006, 12:19:48 am
Thanks again for replies. After doing some more research, I've narrowed it down to the Winn Classic and Golf Pride Tour Velvet full cord. Winn grip is quite a bit cheaper, but I'm used to cord grips. I may do one of each on 2 of my irons to test them for a couple rounds. cadensdad, I'd give you some business, but this is a skill that I want to learn, so I'm going to attempt to do this myself. After I screw it up, I may get in touch with you to do it right.  ;)
Just get you a golfsmith mag and follow the steps....its really quite easy...after you do yours you will be ready to tackle family and friends clubs to....before you know it you will want to build clubs and then open your own shop...trust me it happened to us

HogISH™

Quote from: Michael11 on June 13, 2006, 02:52:39 pm
I use to use winn grips and loved them until i was playing in a tournament one day in drizzling rain and they are so slick and almost impossible to dry. I recommend the golf pride tour grip it has been my favorite. I also like a cored grip but only if you play enough to have tough hands b/c if not they will eat your hands up!

try the dryjoy rain golves... i have a pair and can play in a down pour.. besides being soaked from head to toe you will not even know it's raining...

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||