Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All (bleeping) Phil Mickelson Posts Go HERE

Started by HogHeathen, April 10, 2006, 09:01:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The debate about Phil's character has been coming up quite often over the years; what do you think?

Yes
No
Don't Care

HogHeathen

litmachog

hogfan064

He's a fat ahole who for whatever reason people have fallen for.  I really think the world of golf is so desperate for someone to compete with Tiger that people have fallen in love with this guy. 

He's a great golfer, but I can't stand the guy.  His wife is kinda hot though.

mossfan3

Many fans liked him way before he started winning majors and battling Tiger. Everybody rooted for him to get that first major and they just kind of stuck with him since then. Mickelson and David Toms are probably my two favorites.

Hugehogsfan

Well I really started to follow him since he was a lefty, but over the years and all the majors that he didn't win, I began to really like him.  I have seen where some say he is a complete ahole but I don't know him personally and am just a huge fan of his golf.  By the way the post at the bottom was before the masters started.  I predicted the win. 

HogHeathen

Quote from: litmachog on April 10, 2006, 09:04:43 am
Better than Tiger.

If your talking about as individuals...heck yes...as golfers..we all know the answer to that..

litmachog

Not talking about as a golfer as we all know what he can do when he is playing at the top of his game but I'm talking as a person, I'm just not a fan of him.  I do have to respect Tiger's golf ability as right now, there is no one better even though Phil seems to be playing better.

Patch

What's the knock on his character? Something more in depth than "ahole".

hogfan064

Quote from: HogHeathen on April 10, 2006, 09:18:14 am
Quote from: litmachog on April 10, 2006, 09:04:43 am
Better than Tiger.

If your talking about as individuals...heck yes...as golfers..we all know the answer to that..

I got to ask what is wrong with Tiger as an individual?  I'm not a Tiger fan(although I will pull for him over Phil)  I've never heard anyone state that Tiger was a bad person.  He's never been in trouble with the law.  He's a boring interview and not a great personality, but I don't think that makes him a bad person.

Hugehogsfan

Well as you may know, Tiger has very close friends including Mark O' Meara and others who he continually counts on to be a friend.  Apparently Phil is very stand off ish and doesn't do much that won't get him some media time.   When you see him signing autographs on tv, that is about the only time he does it.  I had a buddy try to get one, and I know that it might have just been that day, but he kinda blew several people off that were waiting for him at an event.  Like I said before though.  I am a huge fan and these are just things that I have heard.

hogfan064

Phil just seems to be putting on a show.  It's like he tries to hard to be golf's most popular guy.  And the thing is that this is just his TV persona.  Off camera everything I've heard about him is negative.  I hate guys like that. 

Golf is alot like NASCAR.  You pull for individuals and not teams.  In NASCAR a guy can rub you the wrong way without really ever doing anything that bad.  I hate Jimmy Johnson as do alot of people, but I don't think he's ever really done anything wrong except being teamates with Gordon. Phil just rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe its the big man boobs.  Maybe its that awful hair.  I just don't like him and never have. 

Feralhog

April 10, 2006, 10:25:50 am #11 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:32:28 am by Feralhog
Quote from: Hugehogsfan on April 10, 2006, 09:28:17 am
Well as you may know, Tiger has very close friends including Mark O' Meara and others who he continually counts on to be a friend.  Apparently Phil is very stand off ish and doesn't do much that won't get him some media time.   When you see him signing autographs on tv, that is about the only time he does it.  I had a buddy try to get one, and I know that it might have just been that day, but he kinda blew several people off that were waiting for him at an event.  Like I said before though.  I am a huge fan and these are just things that I have heard.

For this to make a guy an A-hole, then you better lump all the top players into that catagory.  The only tour players that spend time signing autographs are the ones that nobody friken knows.  The only time you can get a tour guy to sign is during practice rounds, and even then the PGA tells the players to refrain.  As a side note, David Duvall is one of the exceptions. I've been to a few events, and each time I witnessed David signing a s-load of autographs.

I can tell you a story about Phil along these same lines.  A couple of years ago he was playing in a non sanctioned event in Texas combining some of the biggest names on the PGA and Champions Tour. 

The kids who work the range in these events rely on tips, and Phil was among only a handful of BIG NAME golfers who threw some decent cash into the tip jar.  In fact Phil was the most generous.  The kids got nada from guys like Nicklaus and Palmer!

When it comes to players and their style on the course.  Phil is among the most entertaining guy's to follow.  In a time where every swing on tour looks the same, and the strategies are as robotic as the personalities,  Phil's  a breath of fresh air.  His aggressive style is a throw back to  guys like Arnold Palmer, to which the average golfer can relate.  After all, who among us drives 100 miles for a member guest, with a chance to hit a par 5 in two, only to lay up?  Not friken me!

Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Hugehogsfan

I agree, like I said, I am a big fan and all I have heard are stories, which have no bearing on how I like or dislike him.  I have followed him his entire career since he went pro.  I have always seen the TV side of Phil and really don't know how he is off the course.  He seems to have good kids though.  Nice looking wife too. 

HamShank

I root against him unless it's in the Ryder or President's Cup.  I don't know why that is exactly.  I liked him out of college, but in a purely intuitive way, I can't root for him anymore. 

hogsNbeer

I think Phil is great..... I enjoy listening to his interviews.... He's genuine ..and I dont' think he's in it for the money..... HE LOVES THE GAME OF GOLF......   Glad he kicked Tiger's ASS! While the CBS commentators did what they could to get Tiger up there in scoring...... Talking about sucking on somebody's KNOB.......Damn!  I get tired of that...

12under

phil is not as squeaky as his image. 

Feralhog

April 10, 2006, 10:49:03 am #16 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:50:46 am by Feralhog
I'm not a big Tiger fan, but he's been great for the game.  Tiger is today's Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.  Tiger changed the game and for the most part, golf is better because of Tiger Woods.  Tiger is the one who started the fitness craze on tour.  You can thank Tiger for setting the bar extremely high when it comes to practice time and work ethic.  The result has been amazing.  These guys are in better shape and with more consistant swings, can absolutely bomb the ball off the tee.  It's fun as hell to watch.       
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on April 10, 2006, 10:49:03 am
I'm not a big Tiger fan, but he's been great for the game.  Tiger is today's Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.  Tiger changed the game and for the most part, golf is better because of Tiger Woods.  Tiger is the one who started the fitness craze on tour.  You can thank Tiger for setting the bar extremely high when it comes to practice time and work ethic.  The result has been amazing.  These guys are in better shape and with more consistant swings, can absolutely bomb the ball off the tee.  It's fun as hell to watch.       

Tiger needs to get Phil to the gym.  Phil's large manboobs are just sad.  Hard to say your sport's stars are athletes when you have figures like Phil walking around.

FLKeysGuy

I find Phil's voice a little annoying, but I'd listen to him all day if it meant I could look at his wife.  She's a knockout.

Congrats on Green Jacket #2.

excoach

I really like Phil. He appears to be a family man who loves his wife and kids. However if there are any facts that show he is other than squeaky clean and be very interested in reading them. If it's just rumors or opinons then thats what they are. Most professional golfer are too busy for autographs,and can be rude at times. Now JD he's a fan's kid of player and will sign an autograph anytime.

12under

gary player, without question, was the original fitness man on the pga tour.  he was about 30 years ahead of his time.  back then, alot of people thought that weightlifting and fitness would hinder the golf swing.

leavenworth1

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that Phil is a bit of a swinger.  For his family's sake, I hope it's not true.  That made me kind of think of him as a big two-face, because of how choir-boy he comes off on TV. 

hogfan064

Quote from: leavenworth1 on April 10, 2006, 11:18:45 am
I've heard from a pretty reliable source that Phil is a bit of a swinger.  For his family's sake, I hope it's not true.  That made me kind of think of him as a big two-face, because of how choir-boy he comes off on TV. 

I've heard the same thing.  I believe it was one of Jim Rome's guests that stated this on "The Jungle"

HogHeathen

Quote from: hogsNbeer on April 10, 2006, 10:35:35 am
I think Phil is great..... I enjoy listening to his interviews.... He's genuine ..and I dont' think he's in it for the money..... HE LOVES THE GAME OF GOLF......   Glad he kicked Tiger's ASS! While the CBS commentators did what they could to get Tiger up there in scoring...... Talking about sucking on somebody's KNOB.......Damn!  I get tired of that...

Amen brother...

HogHeathen

Feralhog

April 10, 2006, 12:11:24 pm #25 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 12:14:32 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: 12under on April 10, 2006, 11:08:01 am
gary player, without question, was the original fitness man on the pga tour.  he was about 30 years ahead of his time.  back then, alot of people thought that weightlifting and fitness would hinder the golf swing.

Gary Player was a decent player who did lot's of things that was ahead of his time.  But Gary didn't dominate the game, causing the entire PGA tour to follow suit. I didn't say tiger invented fitness for golf, he just made it a requirement, at least for those who want to take their game to a different level. 

And to the guy above who said Phil needs to hit the gym.  Phil works out every day. 

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on April 10, 2006, 12:11:24 pm

Gary Player didn't have the entire PGA tour changing their routine.  I didn't say tiger invented fitness for golf, but because of him hitting the gym, it's damn near a requirement if these guys are gonna keep up. 

And to the guy above who said Phil needs to hit the gym.  Phil works out every day. 

It doesn't show.  Yeah I'm sure he works on his golf swing, but the man is fat. 

Tomhog™

I'll say this, I know nothing of his character as I only see him playing golf rounds.  The only judgement I can make of him is he is a collected, patient player.  He doesn't lose his temper and throw cuss words like rice at a wedding party.  I have nothing against him.  If he IS indeed a 'swinger', my opinion would change completely...

Feralhog

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 10, 2006, 12:13:17 pm

Gary Player didn't have the entire PGA tour changing their routine.  I didn't say tiger invented fitness for golf, but because of him hitting the gym, it's damn near a requirement if these guys are gonna keep up. 

I either read or maybe I saw his fitness guru on the golf channel.  Anywho, , the friker said Phil works out but his diet, or the types of food he eats doesn't exactly promote leaness. 

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on April 10, 2006, 12:23:08 pm

I either read or maybe I saw his fitness guru on the golf channel.  Anywho, , the friker said Phil works out but his diet, or the types of food he eats doesn't exactly promote leaness. 

I don't doubt he works out, but the man is in terrible shape.  I'm sure his fitness guy has him doing some weight training, but nothing like Tiger.  Not saying Tiger's a body builder, but the guy is in great shape

HamShank

Quote from: leavenworth1 on April 10, 2006, 11:18:45 am

A man-boobed swinger with choir-boys?  Now that is just sick!!

larrylegend33

Ok you just played over 30 holes of golf and you are sweating your ass off and nasty.  Go give your wife a big long kiss, yeah right.  And make sure you hug your kids at least 10 different times.  That is annoying, all show for the camera.  He acts like he hasnt seen his kids for a couple  of weeks.  And get that boy a haircut, he looks like a little girl. 

Hawg414

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 10, 2006, 12:25:10 pm

I don't doubt he works out, but the man is in terrible shape.  I'm sure his fitness guy has him doing some weight training, but nothing like Tiger.  Not saying Tiger's a body builder, but the guy is in great shape

he might have the "man boobs" you are so affixed on...  but hes also close to 40, which is quite a bit older than you i am going to assume if you think they are so unusual.  he also just played 31 holes of major championship golf, on golfs biggest stage, against all the other top players in the world - even those without man boobs - on incredibly hilly terrain of which the tv does not do it justice, and he did it all in (i think) 5 or 6 under par. 

could you do that?

the man is an excellent golfer.  always has been.  is he ahead of tiger?  no, probably not.  tiger will probably go down as the best to have ever swung a club.  but i also find phil much more "rootable" than i do tiger also... simply bc tiger is so robotic on a course.  as feralhog said...phil is more of a breath of fresh air... he plays an agressive style that most pros are too afraid to even attempt.  when it works, he wins.  when it doesnt, he acquires a label as a choker.  but he still plays his game.  as for all of the other talk about his character... i watch more golf than most people can stomach, and ive never seen anything to lead me to believe he is "acting."  and that is coming from a guy who doesnt even like nicklaus and palmer bc of stories i have learned of them "behind the scenes" so to speak.  in fact... feralhogs story of those particular 3 guys at that event in texas and the kids with the tip jar... that story falls exactly along the lines of anything and everything i have ever seen or heard concerning the three of them. 

hogfan064

Quote from: Hawg414 on April 10, 2006, 01:24:07 pm

he might have the "man boobs" you are so affixed on...  but hes also close to 40, which is quite a bit older than you i am going to assume if you think they are so unusual.  he also just played 31 holes of major championship golf, on golfs biggest stage, against all the other top players in the world - even those without man boobs - on incredibly hilly terrain of which the tv does not do it justice, and he did it all in (i think) 5 or 6 under par. 

could you do that?

the man is an excellent golfer.  always has been.  is he ahead of tiger?  no, probably not.  tiger will probably go down as the best to have ever swung a club.  but i also find phil much more "rootable" than i do tiger also... simply bc tiger is so robotic on a course.  as feralhog said...phil is more of a breath of fresh air... he plays an agressive style that most pros are too afraid to even attempt.  when it works, he wins.  when it doesnt, he acquires a label as a choker.  but he still plays his game.  as for all of the other talk about his character... i watch more golf than most people can stomach, and ive never seen anything to lead me to believe he is "acting."  and that is coming from a guy who doesnt even like nicklaus and palmer bc of stories i have learned of them "behind the scenes" so to speak.  in fact... feralhogs story of those particular 3 guys at that event in texas and the kids with the tip jar... that story falls exactly along the lines of anything and everything i have ever seen or heard concerning the three of them. 

Phil is a great golfer, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's fat.  I don't care if he's near 40, that's no excuse.  I know of plenty men 40+ that are in excellant shape.  Noone is saying Phil sucks.  He's one of the top 3 golfers in the world.  And no I couldn't shoot 6 under at Augusta.  If I could I wouldn't be on this board right now, but I promise you I am in better shape than Phil.  Phil is fat and I've heard he's a jerk.  I think his on air persona is fake.  Just my opinion. 

Hawg414

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 10, 2006, 01:30:12 pm

could you do that?

Phil is a great golfer, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's fat.  I don't care if he's near 40, that's no excuse.  I know of plenty men 40+ that are in excellant shape.  Noone is saying Phil sucks.  He's one of the top 3 golfers in the world.  And no I couldn't shoot 6 under at Augusta.  If I could I wouldn't be on this board right now, but I promise you I am in better shape than Phil.  Phil is fat and I've heard he's a jerk.  I think his on air persona is fake.  Just my opinion. 

i guess im not understanding your fixation on his fitness then.  hes fit enough that he just topped the best field in golf at the most sought after tournament by 99% of players.  perhaps he is not a chiseled adonis.  other then you and tiger, MOST people arent.  but it is apparent he does what is necessary to be able to compete on the highest level in his sport.  just maybe looking good with his shirt of isnt a requirement to shoot 7 under at augusta.  and if you really wanna get technical, too much fitness might be counteractive for him.  ask david duvall if hed like to have a few of those pounds back...at least as far as his game goes.  he was the top player in the world...ranked #1...got into the fitness craze...hasnt made a cut since.  but he looks better.

and again... as for his personality... none of us knows him personally... so this is all just our opinions.  mine happens to be quite different from yours.  in a sport that is stuffed with country-club style projected images... i happen to think phil is one of the more genuine characters.

Feralhog

April 10, 2006, 01:45:15 pm #35 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:56:30 pm by Feralhog

IMO, as a rule, almost every one of the pros on tour are jerks.  Most are spoiled and terrible in the PR department.  The exceptions to the rule are few.   

When the US Open was at Southern Hills, I took a group of boys from the golf team I coached, and I witnessed first hand, the cat and mouse games almost ALL OF THESE TOUR GUYS PLAYED, just to avoid signing an autograph.  If these guys spent as much energy in public relations as they do avoiding kids wanting their autograph, there's no telling how fast the game would grow.     

hogfan064

Quote from: Hawg414 on April 10, 2006, 01:45:13 pm

could you do that?

i guess im not understanding your fixation on his fitness then.  hes fit enough that he just topped the best field in golf at the most sought after tournament by 99% of players.  perhaps he is not a chiseled adonis.  other then you and tiger, MOST people arent.  but it is apparent he does what is necessary to be able to compete on the highest level in his sport.  just maybe looking good with his shirt of isnt a requirement to shoot 7 under at augusta.  and if you really wanna get technical, too much fitness might be counteractive for him.  ask david duvall if hed like to have a few of those pounds back...at least as far as his game goes.  he was the top player in the world...ranked #1...got into the fitness craze...hasnt made a cut since.  but he looks better.

and again... as for his personality... none of us knows him personally... so this is all just our opinions.  mine happens to be quite different from yours.  in a sport that is stuffed with country-club style projected images... i happen to think phil is one of the more genuine characters.

Well, first off I don't have a fixation with him being fat I'm just stating the obvious.   Also, I don't think you have to be fit to be a great golfer.  You just have to have great skill, which no doubt Phil has.  Golf is a sport where you don't have to look like an athlete and Phil certainly doesn't look like an athlete. Phil's appearance with the hair was just really sloppy looking.  I know it doesn't matter because he's a great golfer, but his weight is going to get comments.  Have him as your hero in golf if you'd like, but those of us who don't like him are going to make fun of him. Just like anti-Tiger fans will make fun of Tiger for being a robot. 

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on April 10, 2006, 01:45:15 pm

IMO, as a rule, almost every one of the pros on tour are jerks.  Most are spoiled and terrible in the PR department.  The exceptions to the rule are few.   

When the US Open was at Southern Hills, I took a group of boys from the golf team I coached, and I witnessed first hand, the cat and mouse games almost ALL OF THESE TOUR GUYS PLAYED, just to avoid signing an autograph.  If these guys spent as much energy in public relations as they do avoiding kids wanting their autograph, there's no telling how fast the game would grow.     

I agree.  Most all pro athletes are jerks in someway.  The thing I don't like are athletes who pretend to be great guys, but really are jerks.  Sammy Sosa was a good example.  I guess that's why I like Tony Stewart.  Tony's a jerk and he's not afraid to hide it. 

Feralhog

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 10, 2006, 02:03:53 pm
Well, first off I don't have a fixation with him being fat I'm just stating the obvious.   Also, I don't think you have to be fit to be a great golfer.  You just have to have great skill, which no doubt Phil has.  Golf is a sport where you don't have to look like an athlete and Phil certainly doesn't look like an athlete. Phil's appearance with the hair was just really sloppy looking.  I know it doesn't matter because he's a great golfer, but his weight is going to get comments.  Have him as your hero in golf if you'd like, but those of us who don't like him are going to make fun of him. Just like anti-Tiger fans will make fun of Tiger for being a robot. 

Phil might get away with carrying some extra LB's around for now, but for the long haul, he better get control.  Being fit doesn't just help a guy walk the course, it's a definite factor during practice sessions.

Extra weight leads to fatigue, and unlike other sports where practicing with fatigue is beneficial, in golf,  grooving your swing with fatigue leads to improper use of muscles, which in turn, leads to bad habits.

Tour guys rely on caddies or their swing coach to stop them once there are signs of fatigue.  It may not be a factor now, but at some point, the extra weight will cut into practice time and Guys like Tiger, VJay and Ratief (sp) will have him for lunch.   No pun intended.

redsnapper

Love him. Wasn't that the original question?

MCPeePants

Quote from: excoach on April 10, 2006, 11:06:33 am
I really like Phil. He appears to be a family man who loves his wife and kids. However if there are any facts that show he is other than squeaky clean and be very interested in reading them. If it's just rumors or opinons then thats what they are.

I think his rampant gambling and sports betting have been pretty well documented. Not that that's bad, but some may see it as something other than "squeaky clean" I suppose. He and Mike Weir were sanctioned by the PGA a few years ago for making a bet on another player's shot during a live round.

Supposedly, Titleist released him from his contract with over a year left remaining due to his outrageous demands to renegotiate after winning the '04 Masters.

Those are the only things I know about. The rest seems pretty much speculation and inuendo. He seems like a decent enough guy to me. 

12under

could you do that?

Well, first off I don't have a fixation with him being fat I'm just stating the obvious.   Also, I don't think you have to be fit to be a great golfer.  You just have to have great skill, which no doubt Phil has.  Golf is a sport where you don't have to look like an athlete and Phil certainly doesn't look like an athlete. Phil's appearance with the hair was just really sloppy looking.  I know it doesn't matter because he's a great golfer, but his weight is going to get comments.  Have him as your hero in golf if you'd like, but those of us who don't like him are going to make fun of him. Just like anti-Tiger fans will make fun of Tiger for being a robot. 
you may not have to be in "Terrell Owens" type of shape, but trust me you must be in some kind of shape to walk 31 holes under extreme mental stress at Augusta National.  phil may not be in basketball shape, but he is in excellent physical shape despite appearances

12under

Quote from: MCPeePants on April 10, 2006, 02:44:25 pm
I really like Phil. He appears to be a family man who loves his wife and kids. However if there are any facts that show he is other than squeaky clean and be very interested in reading them. If it's just rumors or opinons then thats what they are.

I think his rampant gambling and sports betting have been pretty well documented. Not that that's bad, but some may see it as something other than "squeaky clean" I suppose. He and Mike Weir were sanctioned by the PGA a few years ago for making a bet on another player's shot during a live round.

Supposedly, Titleist released him from his contract with over a year left remaining due to his outrageous demands to renegotiate after winning the '04 Masters.

Those are the only things I know about. The rest seems pretty much speculation and inuendo. He seems like a decent enough guy to me. 

there are gambling issues as well as other issues that many would not consider "squeaky clean", but overall probably not the worst guy in the world, only on tour.

hogfan064

Quote from: 12under on April 10, 2006, 02:52:24 pm

could you do that?

you may not have to be in "Terrell Owens" type of shape, but trust me you must be in some kind of shape to walk 31 holes under extreme mental stress at Augusta National.  phil may not be in basketball shape, but he is in excellent physical shape despite appearances

I wouldn't call it excellent physical shape unless that shape is the physical appearance of a pear.  Fat people can walk.  I have a friend that's a fat meter reader for a local electric company.  He walks up and down hills 8-10 hours a day and runs from dogs.  I wouldn't consider him in excellant shape though. 

hogfankb

Quote from: MCPeePants on April 10, 2006, 02:44:25 pm

Would it really be golf if you weren't betting on everything?

Speaking of gambling, that would make for some great TV. As hot as Poker on tv has become just think of the ratings the PGA tour would get if we got to see Tiger lose 10 grand to Phil because he could hit it off the porta potty onto the green.

I would much rather see that on a sunday afternoon when the tourny is in hand than some guy 7 shots back finishing up his round.

12under

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 10, 2006, 03:03:08 pm

could you do that?

I wouldn't call it excellent physical shape unless that shape is the physical appearance of a pear.  Fat people can walk.  I have a friend that's a fat meter reader for a local electric company.  He walks up and down hills 8-10 hours a day and runs from dogs.  I wouldn't consider him in excellant shape though. 
[/quot

could you do that?

well, ive played this sport professionally for over 7 years and have exerienced what phil goes through on a daily basis except for all of his media obligations, and i will tell you that it takes a certain level of fitness to compete at his level and most people, fat and thin alike, cant do it.

FLKeysGuy

None of this really matters to me, but I would point out that Arkansas' own John Daly manages to walk the courses and compete professionally.  He's really not the poster child of good health.

HamShank

I think the health/weight thing is a factor in liking or disliking him.  Coming out of Arizona State, he was pretty svelte, but he's let himself go and - fair or not - fans don't like that. 

We want to know that the people we root for are taking care of themselves, and we envy their status, and if we think they're taking it for granted somehow, it pisses us off.  We expect more from our athletes - yes, even golfers - and we want them to look like they should be on the PGA, not the PBA.  I agree with several of these others posts; Tiger's athleticism has been a great thing for the game.

If we're going to live vicariously through these guys, we certainly don't want them to look like us.  If we did, there'd be a lot more Billy Mayfair fans out there.

hogfan064

Quote from: 12under on April 10, 2006, 03:08:03 pm

could you do that?

[/quot

could you do that?

well, ive played this sport professionally for over 7 years and have exerienced what phil goes through on a daily basis except for all of his media obligations, and i will tell you that it takes a certain level of fitness to compete at his level and most people, fat and thin alike, cant do it.

No, most people can't compete at that level, but competing in golf doesn't mean you're in great physical condition.  It means you got great mental awareness and great skills at the sport you do.  If it took great physical condition then John Daly would be in much better shape than he is.  Golf does involve some endurance, but being a door to door salesman does to I guess.

Look at Phil if he was in great physical condition he would not look the way he does.  If he walked past you in the grocery store you would think the guy has some weight issues.   If Matt Jones passed you then you would say "Wow that guy's in great physical condition" 

12under

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 10, 2006, 03:14:26 pm
None of this really matters to me, but I would point out that Arkansas' own John Daly manages to walk the courses and compete professionally.  He's really not the poster child of good health.
thats because you can never generalize everyone in a particular sport as in shape or not.  it also has to do with your definition of "in shape".  most professional golfers are in shape, but not to the degree of, say, a basketball player.