Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fastest 40

Started by hawgfan4life, January 05, 2017, 11:04:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

Arkansas teams under NR and MA have a few common traits.  One is that they are streaky or play with runs.  That is somewhat true of most teams and all teams at times.  However, our streaks are more pronounced because they are often coincided with steals, fast hectic play, and quick jumpers and layups.  We are also subject to scoring droughts compounded by the practice of relying on jump shooting when struggling and really stupid shot selection at times by a player trying too hard.  The result for fans are ecstatic joy and extreme frustration.  Human nature tends to naturally focus much more on the negative so fans often see the faults despite the positives. 

MA is often times frustrating to watch because we want him to rip into some players and officials sometimes and it appears he is being passive.  I was ready to throw things at him for not calling time out in the game the other night when TN took a 13 point lead. 

When it all said, I am happy with where the team is now compared to what MA inherited and especially pleased where recruiting is compared to how hard it has been to land good players in recent years.  If we continue to build upon this win, we definitly see better days ahead and the "Real Fastest 40" will become much more realistic and fun for fans.

LR_Matt

I think we'll see the real fastest 40 on Saturday....

rzrbackramsfan

I think you're right man.  I get frustrated with our offense at times too but calling set plays all the time is a little overrated.  No matter the system, the players have to not play like crap for it to work.

pigsooie1000

we don't play the fastest 40, we are 67th in tempo. it's fast but not insanely fast, Kentucky plays incredibly fast (9th in the nation). we score well on the break, but those almost always come from turnovers from the half-court defense, I'd wager our full-court defense gives up a ton more than when we play half court

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on January 06, 2017, 12:28:34 am
we don't play the fastest 40, we are 67th in tempo. it's fast but not insanely fast, Kentucky plays incredibly fast (9th in the nation). we score well on the break, but those almost always come from turnovers from the half-court defense, I'd wager our full-court defense gives up a ton more than when we play half court

Anyone else think we need to lose the "Fastest 40 in basketball" ?
We aren't.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Razorod

Hopefully, we play at a faster pace next year. Macon, Barford and Cook will all be in their 2nd year and the additions of Gafford, Garland and Hall should make us more athletic. Plus, Anthlon Bell, Dusty Hannahs and Manny Watkins are not the quickest of guard and they will all have graduated.

Beard, Macon, Barford, Jones, Garland, Glasper, Hall and Bailey--that rotation should allow us to pick up the pace quite a bit in '17-18.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 06, 2017, 07:09:54 am
We aren't.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 05, 2017, 11:20:57 pm
I think you're right man.  I get frustrated with our offense at times too but calling set plays all the time is a little overrated.  No matter the system, the players have to not play like crap for it to work.

I do not think anyone wants set plays all the time, but it would be nice, if out of a time out, or when they really need a basket or if we have a hot shooter or Moses has a mismatch to be able to call a set play to get a specific player the ball.

ow often do we see our opponents run a set play out of a time out or on an in bounds play and get an easy basket or an open 3, seems to be quite often.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BRHogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2017, 01:06:34 pm
I do not think anyone wants set plays all the time, but it would be nice, if out of a time out, or when they really need a basket or if we have a hot shooter or Moses has a mismatch to be able to call a set play to get a specific player the ball.

ow often do we see our opponents run a set play out of a time out or on an in bounds play and get an easy basket or an open 3, seems to be quite often.

If you don't think they have sets, then you're not paying attention.  They call clear outs on the right side all the time for Macon and Beard.  You'll notice because Thompson or Kingsley will get the ball at the right wing near the three point line, hand the ball off and clear out to the middle.  That's the play where Kinglsey got the feed down to Thompson on the lob.

hogwood

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 06, 2017, 07:09:54 am
We aren't.

I would rather it just be called 40 Minutes of Hell again.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogwood on January 06, 2017, 02:55:31 pm

Yeah, you can't be the fastest when there are others faster than you.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogwood on January 06, 2017, 02:55:31 pm

well it has been that often the last 5+ seasons, just not in a good way.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogsolo

MA will succeed when he has players who score after a turnover.   How many times last year did we miss a bunny after a great defensive play.   If we continue to score in transition like Beard and Barford did, we'll win our fair share of games. 

Sivad

"Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball"
We're branded.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: IAMHogholio on January 06, 2017, 03:04:56 pm
MA will succeed when he has players who score after a turnover.   How many times last year did we miss a bunny after a great defensive play.   If we continue to score in transition like Beard and Barford did, we'll win our fair share of games.

You do have a point. I remember last yr being so upset at how ofter Bell and Durham missed contested lay ups last yr. Our juco additions are very craft around the rim (Macon sometimes too crafty) and I cant wait til Garland gets to UA because he is uber crafty and very under control. JMO

Swinesong1

2014-15 season all over again.  Finding things to whine about. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2017, 01:06:34 pm

Mike is actually one of the best coaches at making plays on the fly to get what we want out of a timeout.  That goes back to his days at Missouri.

Remember when we lost to SC in the SECT to be knocked out of NCAA contention?  It was a missed shot by Portis but that play was a thing of beauty.  They got Bobby Portis the ball one-on-one right by the basket matched up on a 6 foot guard.