Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting...

Started by Swinesong1, January 04, 2017, 03:33:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Lots of folks in Jump Ball should read that one.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hoglady on January 04, 2017, 03:39:17 pm
Lots of folks in Jump Ball should read that one.

They definitely should, but unfortunately it still won't make a difference with some.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Atlhogfan1

Our road record going back into the Nolan era has been discussed many times.   The SEC's road vs home as a whole has been discussed. 

"doesn't deserve...come-and-go-as-you-please or laissez-faire attitude"  The current players don't deserve it.  The program itself really hasn't given much of a reason not to receive that attitude. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wisco Pig

Not sure where Bolin was going with that lede, but his main point is correct:  Anderson's recent road record in the SEC is not bad at all.   This has been a discussion point in other threads today.

In his first two seasons at Arkansas, Anderson's road record in SEC games was 2-15.   That's awful, no two ways about it.

In the 3+ seasons since then, however, he's 13-15, with last night's win included.   Quite respectable numbers.

Atlhogfan1

After he finishes figuring out this road thing, winning in March needs to be next on the agenda.  That would go a long way to keeping fans' attention going forward.  10-12 (7 losses by double digits) including 2-5 in SECT with 4 one and done appearances.  One thing at a time I guess in this rebuild process. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 04, 2017, 04:02:36 pm
After he finishes figuring out this road thing, winning in March needs to be next on the agenda.  That would go a long way to keeping fans' attention going forward.  10-12 (7 losses by double digits) including 2-5 in SECT with 4 one and done appearances.  One thing at a time I guess in this rebuild process.

He winning on the road narrative needs to be thrown out. That isn't an issue anymore, the stats prove that. The road records in the SEC aren't good across the board.

Winning tournament games, both SEC and NCAA, should be the priority now.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 04:09:16 pm
He winning on the road narrative needs to be thrown out. That isn't an issue anymore, the stats prove that. The road records in the SEC aren't good across the board.

:-\ It has become good enough as far as the SEC record.  They'll win a few more on the road in the SEC this season.
'14-15 SEC road records were good for conference teams as a whole.
Starting out so far, road teams are having success again.   

Razorod

Hopefully, moving forward, Anderson will keep us in the 4-5 to 6-3 range on the road most years. Do that and dominate at home and we'll be dancing on a very regular basis.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 04:09:16 pm

In looking a little deeper into who we have beaten on the road and if the narrative is truly over:

2011-12:  Auburn finished 5-11 in SEC

2012-13:  Auburn finished 3-15 in SEC

2013-14: 
UK 12-6
Vandy 7-11
Miss St 3-15
ended season with the 25pt loss at Bama

2014-15:
UGa 11-7 - good win, Harris saved us
Ole Miss 11-7 - good win especially with our history in Oxford
SC 6-12
Miss St 6-12 - Portis gutted it out sick
Auburn 4-14 - Thank goodness for AU basketball
Mizzou 3-15 - and Mizzou's collapse

2015-16
Bama 8-10
Tenn 6-12
Mizzou 3-15

3 out of 14 who finished the season with winning conference records.
Combined losing SEC opponents' record: 88-162 35%
Last 3 seasons when we have seen more wins: 80-136 37%
Only ranked team we have beaten on the road in 5+ seasons:  #17 UK in 2014 - Mike does have a history of success vs Cal.  This is an opportunity this weekend and we are certainly due. 

One non conference road win in 5+ seasons:  SMU in '14-15.  Maybe we will get a second one at Ok St.

We have seen improvement on the road.  Winning is certainly > losing. 

Atlhogfan1

We heard this narrative before we brought him back.  More of the awful road performances than the actual record.

Mizzou in a stronger conference:
2007: 3-5
2008 2-6
2009 4-4 Elite 8 team
2010 4-4
2011 1-7

14-26 = 35%
Take out the two rebuilding seasons to be fair:
9-15 = 37.5%

UAB
2003: 3-5  (NB mentioned yesterday he was in a conference with Marquette, Memphis, Louisville, Cincy: 0-3 on road vs teams from this group, Marq's Wade led F4 team whom UAB lost to by 11 on road but beat in conf tourney forcing Wade into 10 turnovers)
2004 4-4 (0-2 at Mem and Lou)
2005 5-3 (1-1 W @ Marq who finished 19-12 losing in 1stR NIT and L @ Cin)
2006 5-2 (Marq, Lou and Cincy had bailed to the Big East, L @#3 Mem and 65-37 to his nemesis Doc Sadler's UTEP team - ex of one of those road performances)

17-14 on road in CUSA - 7 wins came against USF and East Carolina - Mike owned them. 

Polecat

Three straight SEC road wins now, right?
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 08:28:21 am
In looking a little deeper into who we have beaten on the road and if the narrative is truly over:

2011-12:  Auburn finished 5-11 in SEC

2012-13:  Auburn finished 3-15 in SEC

2013-14: 
UK 12-6
Vandy 7-11
Miss St 3-15
ended season with the 25pt loss at Bama

2014-15:
UGa 11-7 - good win, Harris saved us
Ole Miss 11-7 - good win especially with our history in Oxford
SC 6-12
Miss St 6-12 - Portis gutted it out sick
Auburn 4-14 - Thank goodness for AU basketball
Mizzou 3-15 - and Mizzou's collapse

2015-16
Bama 8-10
Tenn 6-12
Mizzou 3-15

Only ranked team we have beaten on the road in 5+ seasons:  #17 UK in 2014 - Mike does have a history of success vs Cal.  This is an opportunity this weekend and we are certainly due. 

One non conference road win in 5+ seasons:  SMU in '14-15.  Maybe we will get a second one at Ok St.

In terms of on the road, I am happy with just beating the bad teams. Not many teams go out and consistently win road games against the best teams in the conference. But, we can't let more than 1 or 2 home games slip away each year. Perfect at home would be ideal, but not realistic annually.

cardsNhogs

Every team struggles on the road. Its a college basketball thing Not an Arkansas thing.

King Kong

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 05, 2017, 10:06:02 am
Every team struggles on the road. Its a college basketball thing Not an Arkansas thing.

This is true. It is the exception not the norm to go above .500 or above on the Road

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 05, 2017, 10:02:32 am
In terms of on the road, I am happy with just beating the bad teams. Not many teams go out and consistently win road games against the best teams in the conference. But, we can't let more than 1 or 2 home games slip away each year. Perfect at home would be ideal, but not realistic annually.

Win 8 at home or 7 in a tough SEC home sched, beat the bottomfeeders on the road which in the SEC is usually a few at least, sched a lot of wins in the non conf leaving out those SWAC RPI killers = NCAAT.  Just have to get enough talent at Arkansas to be better than the majority of the SEC.  Worked out in 2014-15 really well.  Even beat a couple of good teams on the road in conference.  Going to work out this season. 

(this IMO should be a bottom level expectation of the formula)

cityhog

This is especially interesting considering the road teams dominating thus far this season.

ArkansasI

This is not too interesting to me. The article essentially references the period of Razorback basketball decline as reason for adjustment to a new norm - a sucky norm.

This was the period in which Nolan felt increasing pressure to "feed the monster", but failed. Of course, Nolan's failure to sustain his program occurred in a much better SEC conference. And there may have been a number of behind the scenes issues that contributed to his inability to keep the ball rolling.

I don't know what horrible things were done to Nolan, but he made sure any successor to him would fail. And they did. Mike's conference record may be rising, but the Hogs appear to be crested while other SEC West programs have new coaches whose plateaus have yet to be determined.

From this fan's perspective, there is little energy in the program. It appears recruiting is improved, and I hope Mike and the troops give us something worth paying for soon. The shining results praised in that article amount to second tier mediocrity in an irrelevant conference.

We've been here for 20 years. I don't expect to make the NCAA tournament. I don't expect to give Kentucky a competitive game. I don't expect this to change under Mike's leadership.

TexArkHogFan

After Kentucky, two of our first three conference games will have been played against the top two teams in the SEC, both highly ranked,  Looking ahead, I see two games that will will be very difficult to win - at Florida and at South Carolina.  The rest are winnable games, a couple could go either way, but for the most part, the rest of the schedule looks promising - if we keep on improving and play to win.  So, even losing at SC and Florida would only give us 4 SEC losses.  Granted, we could and probably will lose a couple of those other games that could go either way, but even then that would only be six SEC losses which would make for a very successful season.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Hawg Red

I think we should be able to win 4 conference road games this season. I think we'll get 3 out of Missouri, LSU, Auburn, and Vanderbilt. Wins a A&M, Florida, or SC (and UK, obviously) would be big bonuses. Also have that OK State game, too. We've played much tougher on the road over the last 3 seasons, win or lose. That gives me some confidence we can win about half of our conference road games as long as the conference is down as much as it is right now. If the quality of the conference comes up, it will get tougher to win, but it looks like we'll have increased talent if that happens in the next few years.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2017, 11:23:33 am
I think we should be able to win 4 conference road games this season. I think we'll get 3 out of Missouri, LSU, Auburn, and Vanderbilt. Wins a A&M, Florida, or SC (and UK, obviously) would be big bonuses. Also have that OK State game, too. We've played much tougher on the road over the last 3 seasons, win or lose. That gives me some confidence we can win about half of our conference road games as long as the conference is down as much as it is right now. If the quality of the conference comes up, it will get tougher to win, but it looks like we'll have increased talent if that happens in the next few years.

Makes winning our remaining home games that much more important. Would be nice to get four more road wins just in case of a home upset. 12 conference wins, in any combination, should get us into the tourney.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 08:28:21 am

No doubt we have beaten teams that aren't very good on the road, but that's what you are supposed to do and that's what is hard to do in the SEC. Very few teams are able to win the games they should on the road so trying to apply consolation to the wins doesn't tell the whole story.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 05, 2017, 12:31:55 pm
No doubt we have beaten teams that aren't very good on the road, but that's what you are supposed to do and that's what is hard to do in the SEC. Very few teams are able to win the games they should on the road so trying to apply consolation to the wins doesn't tell the whole story.

It doesn't tell the whole story.  That has been true for the SEC's teams most seasons.  It wasn't in our 6-3 road season.  Took care of business well though.  This was also a look into what level of improvement we have made (not knocking it). 

hawginbigd1

Arrogance and immaturity right from the start, and then to break down the main point, give MA a break for his mediocrity + 1 good season, because everyone else has sucked! Losers mentality, this is not a knock on MA, he has not lived up to my expectations, and hopefully his own! These lean times are on him for his poor recruiting and roster management, he is definitely improving there, but he also needs to put W's up at the same time! Just like CBB there are a lot of things I would like to see done differently, but I am behind them both, but I ain't kissin either ones backside. Neither should feel really secure in their positions, they both need to deliver markedly better results. MA has this season going in the right direction, but it has a sense of being on a less than stable foundation. The 2 best teams we have played we really weren't sniffing competitive.

jjdlc

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on January 05, 2017, 11:10:06 am
After Kentucky, two of our first three conference games will have been played against the top two teams in the SEC, both highly ranked,  Looking ahead, I see two games that will will be very difficult to win - at Florida and at South Carolina.  The rest are winnable games, a couple could go either way, but for the most part, the rest of the schedule looks promising - if we keep on improving and play to win.  So, even losing at SC and Florida would only give us 4 SEC losses.  Granted, we could and probably will lose a couple of those other games that could go either way, but even then that would only be six SEC losses which would make for a very successful season.

That sums up my thoughts on it as well.

HawgnCorona

January 05, 2017, 06:36:01 pm #25 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:54:08 pm by HawgnCorona
Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 05, 2017, 10:06:02 am

Yeah true, but here they look for anything that can be turned into a negative if you aren't paying attention. The article only puts light on the things some of us here have said in so many ways...And to think he was the one "only one" that cleaned up the "stuff" (not to mention the only one who the job) that others couldn't, wouldn't and did not want to deal with.

Yet some have the gall to act ungrateful for his efforts, unreal...It is no wonder why this program be slow in returning to GREATNESS.

KARMA!

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

Quote from: azhog10 on January 05, 2017, 12:31:55 pm

I think this is what  they want to see,  win the games we are suppose too...We were picked 5th in pre-season. So anybody below that we should be kicking butt and taking no prisoners.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

porkinsons disease

all I got from that is that we are celebrating beating the preseason 13th ranked team on the road. Guess that is a huge achievement under CMA. Baby steps. NCAA tourney in 4 years. Book your hotel> Fastest 40 minutes is back....GO HOGS  #pokinthebear   #theypunkinyou #pickthemupoffthebus
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgnCorona

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 05, 2017, 07:14:34 pm
all I got from that is that we are celebrating beating the preseason 13th ranked team on the road. Guess that is a huge achievement under CMA. Baby steps. NCAA tourney in 4 years. Book your hotel> Fastest 40 minutes is back....GO HOGS  #pokinthebear   #theypunkinyou #pickthemupoffthebus

Parkinsons is a disease of the brain, right? Just curious...

forrest city joe

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 04, 2017, 03:33:32 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/hogs-breakfast-quit-treating-arkansas-hoops-like-ex
Great find. i loved reading this. and this is what i have been trying to tell people.but there are a lot on here who are hell bent on getting Mike out of here. thank god for people like the guy who wrote this. he is spot on.

MountieDawg

Don't forget he has won 50 percent of his NCAAT games ar Arkansas.
SEC!

The_Iceman