Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who guards Monk?

Started by zebradynasty, January 04, 2017, 09:27:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zebradynasty

Kentucky is far from a one man show just interested in the opinion of Hogville's coaching staff  :D how to keep Monk under control.

ShadowHawg

Whoever can be most physical with him. Get in his head and he will guard himself.

jackflash

I am not sure we have any one who can ?

PonderinHog

Doesn't matter.  We'll switch.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 04, 2017, 09:27:12 am
Kentucky is far from a one man show just interested in the opinion of Hogville's coaching staff  :D how to keep Monk under control.

rotate Macon and Barford on him with tight man D all game.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HogInThaGrove

Mike's gonna use Macon & Manny.  Which means Macon will be tired from trailing him and working on staying in front of him and Manny will be on the floor way too much with us needing to score and playing 4 on 5. 

Really we need to switch up defenses every couple times down the court.  Go man, then 2/3 zone, then man, then matchup zone, then man, then 1/3/1, and just keep going and try to keep them out of an offensive rhythm and maybe take a couple clicks off the clock with them figuring out which defense we are in. 

We aren't gonna win the up & down battle with Kentucky, and as that is really our only thing I fear the outcome of this game will be about the same as the butt kicking Texas A&M just took from Kentucky.  Maybe we only lose by 15, but it will never be in doubt.

Would love to be wrong though.

cityhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 04, 2017, 09:32:12 am
probably wasn't meant to, but this made me LOL.

hvsupastar

Is Jarrod Barnes on campus yet?
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

PonderinHog

Quote from: cityhog on January 04, 2017, 09:35:54 am
probably wasn't meant to, but this made me LOL.
A little of both.   ;D

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 04, 2017, 09:29:42 am
Whoever can be most physical with him. Get in his head and he will guard himself.

FineAsSwine

Monk will most likely have a good or great game no matter who we put on him but the game is on our schedule and we have to go and play it.

No one gave David a chance against Goliath so upsets do happen and if we win, I wouldn't care if Malik scored all of KY's points.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

I am more worried about Briscoe and Adebayo

labb

Go see if we can get that football player that guarded him in the State Finals..

Think that Fox and Briscoe will be the two that really hurt us.

RaisinHog

Macon for sure .. and I hope barford .. Watkins is way to slow and whoever suggested we play zone is stupid they will shoot our eye out

Hogimus Prime

I'm more worried about Fox.  If you can somehow keep someone infront of him and out of the lane then Kentucky's offense doesn't go,but I'm not sure that is possible

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Sow Lancelot

Actually, during our early 2nd half run last night we did a really good job of slipping the screens and not switching as much. This kept Moses off the top of the key for the most part.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 04, 2017, 09:51:08 am
I'm more worried about Fox.  If you can somehow keep someone infront of him and out of the lane then Kentucky's offense doesn't go,but I'm not sure that is possible

The key to stopping Fox is to limit runouts. He is painfully left-handed even to the point of finishing with his left on the right side of the rim. Terrible jump shooter also.

Our transition d has been disappointing so far and I expect he will have a good game against us as a result.

King Kong

Kevin

does klay Thompson have any eligibility left
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 04, 2017, 10:00:42 am
The key to stopping Fox is to limit runouts. He is painfully left-handed even to the point of finishing with his left on the right side of the rim. Terrible jump shooter also.

Our transition d has been disappointing so far and I expect he will have a good game against us as a result.

Yeah he is. 

Breems

I was going to reply with Kingsley but you beat me to it. :)
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

zebradynasty

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 04, 2017, 09:51:08 am

We don't have anything on the roster than keep up with Fox...very few do. Watkins cannot guard Monk. He plays hard but just not athletic enough. Macon has good foot speed so does Barford and I would also do something unexpected...CJ Jones!

Jarrod Barnes did a good job on Monk LAST YEAR but really most of it was Monk was just off and then he started pressing himself and it went downhill.

XavierZane

Any way to sneak Lonzo Ball on the team?  Because besides him nobody on even the best teams in the country has been able to guard him so far... so I wouldn't plan on containing him traditionally.  Instead, eliminate him as quickly as possible, and make him live on the foul line while he's in the game.  Put disposable players on him defensively at first, with their sole job being to foul him if he tries to shoot.  If he scores thirty from the line, so be it, but never let him get into any rhythm or make any big shots.   On offense, drive at him every play you can until he gets into foul trouble himself. Force Cal to take him out, or gamble on keeping him in and have it backfire. 

Letsroll1200

Kentucky is not a one man show. Monk is the best shooter and scorer on the team but Fox is transition is dangerous. I think we put Macon and Barford on Monk but its going to have to be a collective effort to slow down Kentucky. We gained some confidence back last night against Tennessee and I think that goes a long way in playing Kentucky. There are three guys that will not be intimidated by Kentucky and that's Beard, Dusty and Macon.

zebradynasty

Quote from: XavierZane on January 04, 2017, 10:16:05 am
Any way to sneak Lonzo Ball on the team?  Because besides him nobody on even the best teams in the country has been able to guard him so far... so I wouldn't plan on containing him traditionally.  Instead, eliminate him as quickly as possible, and make him live on the foul line while he's in the game.  Put disposable players on him defensively at first, with their sole job being to foul him if he tries to shoot.  If he scores thirty from the line, so be it, but never let him get into any rhythm or make any big shots.   On offense, drive at him every play you can until he gets into foul trouble himself. Force Cal to take him out, or gamble on keeping him in and have it backfire.

I like the strategy! Both Macon and Barford would make Monk play defense (assuming he would also guard them) and are capable of getting him commit fouls. We cannot just let Monk play offense and rest on defense.

3kgthog

Let him get his 40 points. The quickest way to get run out of the building is to put too much attention on one guy while the others run right by you. We don't need to let our pride and desire to shut him up get in the way of the main goal, a W.

My hope is that we're physical, keep the loss under 25 points, and move on from this game as quickly as possible. I've been dreading the Monk bullcrap surrounding this game ever since he committed.

Youngsta71701

Manny, I think he could be physical with him and frustrate him a little bit.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 04, 2017, 10:28:22 am
Let him get his 40 points. The quickest way to get run out of the building is to put too much attention on one guy while the others run right by you. We don't need to let our pride and desire to shut him up get in the way of the main goal, a W.

My hope is that we're physical, keep the loss under 25 points, and move on from this game as quickly as possible. I've been dreading the Monk bullcrap surrounding this game ever since he committed.

Sounds about right. Glad to have this one out of the way early on in conference play.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 04, 2017, 10:28:22 am

This!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

swinesation

Box and 1. I kid, I kid. When's the last time somebody used that defense??

jackflash

I like the switch on defense with  the exception of Kingsley to far from the basket

bulldog04

FineAsSwine

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 04, 2017, 11:07:41 am
Bill Laimbeer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV298N025m4

Would be nice to have someone on the team with that kind of intensity, hustle, aggressiveness and fearlessness on defense. A Dennis Rodman type wouldn't be bad either.
Hogs up! Covid down!

RealHog

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 04, 2017, 09:49:56 am
Macon for sure .. and I hope barford .. Watkins is way to slow and whoever suggested we play zone is stupid they will shoot our eye out

KY only has 1 true shooter in Monk. Past that they have about 3 guys who will shoot and can make some. 3pt shooting is been called a weakness of this KY team.

elksnort

Brachen Hazen is the secret weapon.

Nosboar Accubond

We locked Macon on the TN shooting guard last night. Was fairly effective.

MountieDawg

The problem is if you put the quickest guy on Monk, Fox and Briscoe are the ones that really drive to the basket.  Monk goes to the basket on fast breaks, other than than its 3's and pull up mid range jumpers.  I expect Moses to have a good game and play strong inside with a real battle with him and Bam... Both teams struggle with the 4, Willis has been cold shooting and Gabriel has not provided much offense or defense in a month. I dont think Dusty will not play over 15 minutes in the game, not sure he can guard any of the guards.
SEC!

bhshawgfan

Bring back Marcus for 1 game

razoredge178

I'd suggest trying to get him wrapped up in a prostitution sting the night before the game. Otherwise, look forward to K. Allen 2nd verse.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

BadHog

I think FCJ is our man for this task.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

MountieDawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 04, 2017, 12:19:36 pm
I'd suggest trying to get him wrapped up in a prostitution sting the night before the game. Otherwise, look forward to K. Allen 2nd verse.

Its Kentucky not Louisville...
SEC!

RaisinHog

Quote from: RealHog on January 04, 2017, 11:20:03 am
KY only has 1 true shooter in Monk. Past that they have about 3 guys who will shoot and can make some. 3pt shooting is been called a weakness of this KY team.

So we are going with the ol' box and 1 I like it

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jackflash on January 04, 2017, 10:48:33 am
I like the switch on defense with  the exception of Kingsley to far from the basket
Exactly, everyone should switch except him. We need him to guard the basket and rebound.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 04, 2017, 11:18:21 am
Would be nice to have someone on the team with that kind of intensity, hustle, aggressiveness and fearlessness on defense. A Dennis Rodman type wouldn't be bad either.
They would be ejected in the first minute...lol

azhog10

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 04, 2017, 09:53:27 am
Actually, during our early 2nd half run last night we did a really good job of slipping the screens and not switching as much. This kept Moses off the top of the key for the most part.
I agree, I can count on one hand how many times he ended up guarding their point guard and twice was because it was under a minute in the game and we were switching everything. We did a much better job fighting over the screens and not switching a big. We also trapped and were more aggressive on our hedges.

HogNiner12

We need Roosevelt Wallace!!! He would lay the smack down on Monk 👋🏾

hoglady

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 04, 2017, 01:05:18 pm
They would be ejected in the first minute...lol

For sure. That kind of aggressive defense isn't allowed in today's basketball.
What a shame.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality