Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outstanding Road Win

Started by WilsonHog, January 03, 2017, 08:00:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 03, 2017, 08:08:18 pm
He did some good things on the defensive end.   10 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals.
Correct. Also 3 assists, only one turnover, and one foul.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HouSwine

Cats won't know what hit them

Excellent win. The team responded on the road in a way we haven't seen in a while.

Quote from: Danny J on January 03, 2017, 08:02:28 pm
...Watkins with the quick inbound with 1.8 on the clock...

^^^clutch

This will go a long way to help build this teams confidence.
This was not a smart play, 1.8 sec. to go in game up by 3, 5 sec. to throw the ball in, Tenner out of timeouts, game over. Why even take the chance something could go wrong? Our Basketball IQ is not very strong.

gmarv

good road win,that,s 3 wins in a row on the road in the sec.A few more wins on the road and maybe we can finally put that can,t win on the road crap to bed.

hogster23

Quote from: 71832 on January 04, 2017, 07:17:51 am
This was not a smart play, 1.8 sec. to go in game up by 3, 5 sec. to throw the ball in, Tenner out of timeouts, game over. Why even take the chance something could go wrong? Our Basketball IQ is not very strong.
Clock doesnt start till the ball is inbounded. Smart play by Watkins to get it into Macon before the defense set up.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogster23 on January 04, 2017, 07:28:08 am
Clock doesnt start till the ball is inbounded. Smart play by Watkins to get it into Macon before the defense set up.
One of y'all is wrong.  It ain't you.

010HogFan

The irony here

McKdaddy

Very bright play by Watkins.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Letsroll1200

Speaking of basketball IQ

yraciv

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 03, 2017, 08:02:57 pm
Also I need to say this, Kingsley needs to get on his game or go to the bench.  He puts zero effort in about 80% of the time.  I got big hopes for him but right now he's not the best option on the court. 

We all can admit that Kingsley has been a disappointment so far this season, but his Rebounding and Blocked shots help make him our second most efficient player based on advanced metrics. If he returns to the level he was at last year, we have the chance to be pretty good. Just don't see the same upside in his backups.

hogsanity

Quote from: yraciv on January 04, 2017, 09:15:14 am
We all can admit that Kingsley has been a disappointment so far this season, but his Rebounding and Blocked shots help make him our second most efficient player based on advanced metrics. If he returns to the level he was at last year, we have the chance to be pretty good. Just don't see the same upside in his backups.

Alot of his offensive woes are that the guard are not very good getting him the ball in scoring position.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Looks like the play was smart but the post criticizing it was dumb.

HoopS

Watkins has a very good basketball IQ. I wouldn't talk bbiq if you don't actually understand the rules yourself. Just friendly advice.

It was smart play. Not only did he get it in before the defense could set up, which they had already proven to be extremely tough on inbounds plays, but it was to the right person. And credit Macon for creating space for it as he also showed good IQ.

But this critiquing others when you know you don't even know the game? Really?

Hollywood_HOGan45

This is a joke right?

HoopS

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 04, 2017, 09:45:32 am
This is a joke right?
there was a day that the clock would have run and indeed it would have been a bad decision. I suspect that the poster simply didn't realize the rule.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HoopS on January 04, 2017, 09:49:28 am
there was a day that the clock would have run and indeed it would have been a bad decision. I suspect that the poster simply didn't realize the rule.

Do you have any military experience? I think you qualify to be a captain of something.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HoopS on January 04, 2017, 09:49:28 am
Guy must have not watched a whole lot of basketball in the last 35 years then.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2017, 08:00:07 pm
Tennessee put enough pressure on us in the last 10 minutes of the game, with their crowd into the game, to test our mettle. We withstood numerous runs, aided by the fact that we were cool under pressure and that Darryl Macon has ice water in his veins.

Very pleased with this team and with Mike for a solid effort and a good road win.

Very good win for my confidence.  Mike wins on average below 30% of his Conference road games and with Tennessee coming in on a high after beating A&M on the road this game looked like a hill we could not climb but we did.

It was win that gets us back on track to winning 10+  SEC games which I think is necessary to get us in the T. 

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on January 03, 2017, 08:02:28 pm
.Watkins with the quick inbound with 1.8 on the clock...

^^^clutch

This will go a long way to help build this teams confidence.

I noticed that too and right away said "Smart!" We had struggled in bounding against Tennessee all night. He got the ball and quickly tapped it in while Tennessee was all over the place. That's why you like him in there. Just wish he'd work on his free throws. No excuse to not be better.

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 04, 2017, 07:29:50 am
One of y'all is wrong.  It ain't you.
After looking up the rule I stand corrected. Ignorance is no excuse.

HoopS

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 04, 2017, 09:51:11 am
Do you have any military experience? I think you qualify to be a captain of something.
just giving the benefit of the doubt. Rare

McKdaddy

Quote from: 71832 on January 04, 2017, 11:13:06 am

+1 for admitting when incorrect.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 04, 2017, 10:41:10 am
Mike wins on average below 30% of his Conference road games

Meaningless and probably spurious.
[CENSORED]!

cityhog

My nickname for Macon is Moneyman. That dude is stone cold.

little pigee

Quote from: 71832 on January 04, 2017, 11:13:06 am
That rule is still in effect in DeQueen!!!  Way to stand up!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2017, 08:00:07 pm
Tennessee put enough pressure on us in the last 10 minutes of the game, with their crowd into the game, to test our mettle. We withstood numerous runs, aided by the fact that we were cool under pressure and that Darryl Macon has ice water in his veins.

Very pleased with this team and with Mike for a solid effort and a good road win.
Don't forget we had to battle the stripes too.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 04, 2017, 10:41:10 am
Very good win for my confidence.  Mike wins on average below 30% of his Conference road games and with Tennessee coming in on a high after beating A&M on the road this game looked like a hill we could not climb but we did.

What is his road conference winning percentage the last 3 seasons?

lstewart

I think this win at Tennessee might be a NCAA tourney saving victory. If we started 0-3 in the league, not sure that we would have ever pulled it together enough down the line to climb back up to where we need to be to get into the tourney. Moses this year is the player I expected him to be last year. Strengths at shot blocking and defensive rebounding, but not much offense. I understand not having the guards he had last year getting the ball to him, but he also really struggles to finish even when he is in position. He gets a lot of shots blocked or altered. I think he is what he is, 10 points / 10 rebounds. We just need him to keep helping in the areas he is strong, and have the other guys continue to carry some of the load.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 03, 2017, 09:29:35 pm
I agree. I wish Thomas and Cook didn't get pushed around so much in the paint.
They got pushed around but when they tried to push back they got called for a foul almost every time. Strange huh... ??? :puke:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 04, 2017, 02:57:53 pm
They got pushed around but when they tried to push back that got called for a foul almost every time.

You're right. Thomas was not allowed to play the same game on the boards that Tennessee's players were. Thought he did pretty well regardless.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 02:51:40 pm
What is his road conference winning percentage the last 3 seasons?

2015-16    3-6            .333
2014-15    6-3            .666
2013-14    3-6            .333
Total       12-15          .444       

HogBreath

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 03, 2017, 08:02:57 pm
Also I need to say this, Kingsley needs to get on his game or go to the bench.  He puts zero effort in about 80% of the time.  I got big hopes for him but right now he's not the best option on the court. 
He did have 10 boards last nite.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 04, 2017, 03:03:47 pm

2015-16    3-6            .333
2014-15    6-3            .666
2013-14    3-6            .333
Total       12-15          .444       

Isn't that above average? Then add the 1-0 start this year. Time to end the whole "can't win on the road" narrative.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2017, 09:18:55 am
Alot of his offensive woes are that the guard are not very good getting him the ball in scoring position.

Yep, he doesn't do well back to the basket.. Jabril was better at getting him spot ups on the base line and more face ups out front... I've thought a play maker could help a lot with this team.. though we have a deep guard bench, none are going to get 8-9 assist a game...

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 05, 2017, 07:05:58 am
Isn't that above average? Then add the 1-0 start this year. Time to end the whole "can't win on the road" narrative.

Heard preview of the UA vs UK game on the SEC Network last night and the guy was still repeating the false narrative that CMA teams can't win on the road. Once a narrative is established, facts don't matter.

gmarv

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 05, 2017, 08:00:14 am
Heard preview of the UA vs UK game on the SEC Network last night and the guy was still repeating the false narrative that CMA teams can't win on the road. Once a narrative is established, facts don't matter.
thats it, facts be D*@n we don,t want no facts.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 05, 2017, 07:05:58 am

They are 3-0 in the last 3 road games in the SEC. They continue to talk about it because it sounds good.

Atlhogfan1

Never look below the surface.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HoopS

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 05, 2017, 08:00:14 am
and we have a segment of fans who are all too happy to pile on and add to the lie. I've never seen a fanbase who works so hard to work against its own programs.

Wisco Pig

As a point of comparison, I found this online (http://basketball.realgm.com/article/237106/Road-Records-Reveal-Truth-Of-Tournament-Teams).  It's a summary of conference road records of all the teams in the Sweet 16 over a recent 10-year span:

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 05, 2017, 08:54:15 am
As a point of comparison, I found this online (http://basketball.realgm.com/article/237106/Road-Records-Reveal-Truth-Of-Tournament-Teams).  It's a summary of conference road records of all the teams in the Sweet 16 over a recent 10-year span:

Good find.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razorod

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 09:02:05 am
Good find.
Yep. You don't have to win them all, but you do have to win your share. In the SEC that translates to 5-4 or better on the road. Do that (5-4 road record) + go 8-1 or 9-0 at home and you have what the expectations should be for most years for the Hogs coach.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.