Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outstanding Road Win

Started by WilsonHog, January 03, 2017, 08:00:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Tennessee put enough pressure on us in the last 10 minutes of the game, with their crowd into the game, to test our mettle. We withstood numerous runs, aided by the fact that we were cool under pressure and that Darryl Macon has ice water in his veins.

Very pleased with this team and with Mike for a solid effort and a good road win.

ricepig

Hogimus Prime

Good win.  Didn't feel like the Hogs played all that great so that was a good sign to win on the road and not playing great.

devildoghawg

That win was a big freaking deal.  We keep it respectable at Kentucky and we got a real shot with everyone else in the SEC.  I'm beginning to think these kids play better on the road than they do at home.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Danny J

A lot of big plays down the stretch...Moses with the tip out...Beard with the steal...Barford and Macon knocking down HUGE FT's...Watkins with the quick inbound with 1.8 on the clock...

^^^clutch

This will go a long way to help build this teams confidence.

devildoghawg

Also I need to say this, Kingsley needs to get on his game or go to the bench.  He puts zero effort in about 80% of the time.  I got big hopes for him but right now he's not the best option on the court. 
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

ShadowHawg

Fun game to watch. Anyone else think this team gets stronger in the second half of games?

hobhog

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 03, 2017, 08:02:57 pm
Also I need to say this, Kingsley needs to get on his game or go to the bench.  He puts zero effort in about 80% of the time.  I got big hopes for him but right now he's not the best option on the court.

Effort is there he just isn't as athletic as I thought. He does plenty defensively to make up for horrible offense.

razorbackfan4life

This team has so much potential.  When the light comes on it will be beautiful.  Once they all learn to play as one mind we will be tough to beat. 

SPAL

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2017, 08:04:15 pm
Effort is there he just isn't as athletic as I thought. He does plenty defensively to make up for horrible offense.

He is very athletic and has superb footwork. Just can't get his shot to fall. And the effort is there too....That's actually quite foolish .

hogsanity

Guards still not great at getting him the ball in scoring position  either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

devildoghawg

My biggest complain on offense is he spends way to much time on the perimeter and he rarely goes up for an offensive board.  On defense he is terrible at protection the paint from inside intrusion but his shot blocking on guards is definitely top tier talent.  He's just a strange duck, I really hope he figures it out this year.

Wisco Pig

He did some good things on the defensive end.   10 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals.

devildoghawg

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 03, 2017, 08:06:23 pm
He is very athletic and has superb footwork. Just can't get his shot to fall. And the effort is there too....That's actually quite foolish .

You can call it foolish, but he's stationary about 80% of the game.  That won't cut it in this system.

cardsNhogs

Great win!! We have to fix the rebounding problem but I'm excited about a Hog Win tonight!

BoarnSupremacy

Macon won this game with his FTs

hawgrunner

Breems

All guards scored 10+ except for Watkins who still had 8.

Barford got us back into the game, Beard gave us tough buckets all game during droughts, and Macon brought us home.

I'm concerned about our poor post play (virtually non-existent offensively). Guards will have to keep playing at a very high level to keep this thing afloat.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

moses_007

Let's go to Rupp now and silence Calipari.

devildoghawg

Quote from: Breems on January 03, 2017, 08:10:57 pm

Barford got us back into the game, Beard gave us tough buckets all game during droughts, and Macon brought us home.

I'm concerned about our poor post play (virtually non-existent offensively). Guards will have to keep playing at a very high level to keep this thing afloat.

0 offensive boards by Kingsley and less than double digits in the last 5 games TOTAL, it's a stat that matters.  Have to crash the boards especially against teams like Kentucky.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: moses_007 on January 03, 2017, 08:11:31 pm

That would be great. I think that game will get ugly in away I don't want to talk about.

But I won't let it ruin what appears to be a very good season

rzrbackramsfan

Oh man, this couldn't be further from the truth.  There's no one else on the team that can rebound and block/affect shots like him.  No way we would've won with him on the bench.  I hope Kinglsey is gonna watch the tape and learn his role more and more because offensively, yes, trey is probably substantially better. 

poloprince

They played through that rough patch in the first half and pulled it out. I like what I saw from Barford. I hope that light has come on for him.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

hoghearted

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on January 03, 2017, 08:10:17 pm
Macon won this game with his FTs

ain't that the truth.

Appreciative of the win in a tough road game.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

PonderinHog

We would not have won this game without Kingsley.  If he continues to improve, we'll be even better. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

I keep hoping the light comes on for Moses. If so look out!

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Excited for these guys tonight. WP

SPAL

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 03, 2017, 08:09:00 pm
You can call it foolish, but he's stationary about 80% of the game.  That won't cut it in this system.

It is foolish. You're talking about 1 aspect of his game. An aspect that he is being asked to do. 80% is an arbitrary number you made up for starters. But let's not dismiss everything else he does. I'm just glad the 20% of time he did put forth effort came at the end of the game where he altered a shot and knocked it out to Macon.

RyeHogFan

I'm really proud of this team. When we got down 39-26, I thought we were about to get blown out again. That 11-0 run to end the half gave this team a huge jolt of confidence. You could just see it when we started the second half. We had several guys make clutch plays as we took the lead and never lost it again. Woo Pig!

lynbug

Spot on!!!Realistically how many SEC teams do you think that will work with?

hawgmasta

Solid performance on the road. That Florida loss got every one too deep down in the dumps. This team is a good team, who should beat most teams they should and steal a few from teams they "shouldn't beat."

I'm proud of these hogs; they're better than they get credit for.

Porked Tongue

As Barford and Beard go, so will our road games.

Simple as that.

upperdeck_hawg

Great win but Moses cant get manhandled like he did tonight. He needs to finish around the basket and hit his free throws.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Dropkick

They showed some guts tonight. Proud of those young men.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 03, 2017, 08:03:09 pm
Fun game to watch. Anyone else think this team gets stronger in the second half of games?

Im think so as well...but they keep this up Im going to need stronger HBP meds.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 03, 2017, 08:41:07 pm
As Barford and Beard go, so will our road games.

Simple as that.

Well , I feel much better after reading this. These two have been the MOST consistent go guard play is necessary.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

lynbug

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 03, 2017, 08:41:49 pm
Great win but Moses cant get manhandled like he did tonight. He needs to finish around the basket and hit his free throws.
Probably ain't gonna happen.  A winning game plan needs to go around MK....not through him (IMHO).

snf6278

I loved Cook in the starting lineup and Thomas coming off the bench. Thought DT brought some intensity. I think he'll work better in that roll. Great win tonight! WPS!!!!

HoopS

Moses is a key cog. We pick his game apart because dadgummit we need him to play up to his potential. He isn't jumping vertically enough at times around the basket. That makes him play "small" at times. Gather and go UP strong and he's tough. Lean and lift and a 6'5" blocks him like tonight. And I still harp on his free throws. You can quote percentages all you want but his approach is poor and will fail him often - tonight as an example and down the stretch last year as more proof. He does not get his eyes to the rim early enough. Watch Macon and Hannahs. Then watch Moses look at the ground to the left and quickly shoot. It matters because he *can* shoot. He overcomes his approach because of his ability. But if he'd slow up and work just a bit on technique, his NBA stock would improve. Maddening to watch him at the line. As the season wears, technique is more and more important. It almost costs us tonight. All of that said - we need him.

rude1

Very good road win to build off of. When was the last time we saw a Hog team challenged down the stretch on the road, continue to go to the free throw line and knock them down. Macon especially is one cool character under fire.

Temprees

Agree.  He's definitely not going all out.

Kevin

Totally shocked by the results tonight.
Way to go hogs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rude1

Quote from: poloprince on January 03, 2017, 08:14:54 pm
They played through that rough patch in the first half and pulled it out. I like what I saw from Barford. I hope that light has come on for him.  :razorback:
This^^^.  Barford seemed to finally be in the flow, not trying to do too much, letting the game just happen. More importantly he didn't get out of control and become that turnover machine tonight.

rude1

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 03, 2017, 08:14:58 pm
We would not have won this game without Kingsley.  If he continues to improve, we'll be even better. 
People are judging Kingsley by the offensive end, mistake. His role on this team is as a rebounder, rim protector, there are plenty of scoring options on this team, but if he doesn't rebound the basketball I am not sure who will.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: rude1 on January 03, 2017, 09:26:53 pm
People are judging Kingsley by the offensive end, mistake. His role on this team is as a rebounder, rim protector, there are plenty of scoring options on this team, but if he doesn't rebound the basketball I am not sure who will.

I agree. I wish Thomas and Cook didn't get pushed around so much in the paint.

rude1

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 03, 2017, 09:29:35 pm
I agree. I wish Thomas and Cook didn't get pushed around so much in the paint.
Trey Thompson is the one we need more out of, he is literally just another body and set of fouls out there when he comes into the game. 9 minutes and 3 fouls committed. I have seen him show more than what he is showing. Always seems out of position and hacking away.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: rude1 on January 03, 2017, 09:32:47 pm
Trey Thompson is the one we need more out of, he is literally just another body and set of fouls out there when he comes into the game. 9 minutes and 3 fouls committed. I have seen him show more than what he is showing. Always seems out of position and hacking away.

I thought he started to really come on near the end of last year but it appears he gained some bad weight in the off season. Need him living on Cleveland Hill again. 

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on January 03, 2017, 09:23:51 pm
This^^^.  Barford seemed to finally be in the flow, not trying to do too much, letting the game just happen. More importantly he didn't get out of control and become that turnover machine tonight.
He played really well with Beard...I believe that during that stretch we made the 11-0 run to finish the half it was Beard, Barford and Hannah's and that was quite an impressive stretch. I will also add the FT's he made late after the first FT he gave the shush sign to the fans. That is the kind of confidence this team needs.

ChicoHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 03, 2017, 08:03:09 pm
It was a good game to watch for the first 30 minutes.  Then the fouls started and everything slowed down.  Regardless it was a good win.  Congrats to the Hogs.  Really nice to have someone like Macon you can trust on the FT line. 

ishankem

Quote from: moses_007 on January 03, 2017, 08:11:31 pm

God!  Cats won't even break a sweat