Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I leave for over a year and see nothing has changed

Started by forrest city joe, January 03, 2017, 02:11:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

I come back from being gone for over a year,and one of the first threads i see is Mike has to go. let me put this as nice as i can. if Mike goes,so do all the big time recruits he has line up.Justice Hill,Reggie Perry and all the rest will not come here if Mike gets fired.is that what you fire Mike folks want to happen? think before you start screaming about firing the coach.be careful what you wish for.

cardsNhogs

Not confident Mike will do anything with those recruits. We have a very talented roster right now and Im gonna say we miss the dance yet again. So yes it is worth losing those recruits.

Auburn

I would fire him because the team looks like it sucks and does in fact suck.  it is a bad product to watch.  now, I would love for college sports to go back to amateurism but it isn't going to happen, so in the mean while at least put forth an entertaining product.

I can watch high school games that exhibit more passion, focus, fundamentals, and/or creativity on offense and defense.  watching MA-hawg ball is almost as bad as an intramural game on a wednesday night.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 02:11:03 pm
I come back from being gone for over a year,and one of the first threads i see is Mike has to go. let me put this as nice as i can. if Mike goes,so do all the big time recruits he has line up.Justice Hill,Reggie Perry and all the rest will not come here if Mike gets fired.is that what you fire Mike folks want to happen? think before you start screaming about firing the coach.be careful what you wish for.

Joe it's the same ole same ole!! I'm glad you are back because its only a few of us still left.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 03, 2017, 02:15:47 pm
Joe it's the same ole same ole!! I'm glad you are back because its only a few of us still left.

You have no shame.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 03, 2017, 02:16:28 pm
You have no shame.

Nothing to be ashamed about. Good coach, better person, and  outstanding recruiting classes that will be on the Hill. If Mike wasn't getting it done on the recruiting than some might have a point. The future is looking really good for the Hogs.

MountieDawg

Pel had the #9 ranked recruiting class in the nation per ESPN coming in....  Didn't stop the change last time, shouldn't stop the change this time... 
SEC!

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

To address some comments in this thread:

1) many of you wouldn't be saying we "suck" if Kevaughn Allen attended high school in Florida. We got beat by a good Florida team with a ton of SEC experience.

2) there is no guarantee we would lose all of the recruits we have committed. It would depend on who we hire.

3) Mike's two biggest failures have been the end of the 2013-2014 season  (should have made the tournament with that roster) and the 2015 off season.

4) this season isn't over yet, let's see how we end up.

forrest city joe

All you fire Mike guys that say yes you are willing to throw away those great recruiting classes may get your wish if this season is not good.then you get to start over yet again,which may take another 3 or 4 years. i warn you guys in football and you would not listen. and i am warning you again here. be careful what you wish for.

hogsanity

You are right, nothing has changed. Mike's team stillc ant defend the perimeter, still switches every screen creating horrible matchups on D, gives up too many offensive rebounds, still trap 40 ft from the basket giving up easy scores, and still has long stagnant stretches on offense.

Well, actually, they do shoot ft's much better now.

And, before you start, I have said since Aug that I think they make the ncaat this year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

forrest city joe

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 03, 2017, 02:15:47 pm
I know man. i left because i got tired of the same fire Mike crap.over and over and over. and nothing has changed. just watch.if Mike Anderson goes,so do all those great recruits.

Biggus Piggus

It all depends on the replacement, doesn't it? I'd replace the AD before allowing Long to hire another coach for any sport.
[CENSORED]!

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 02:40:10 pm
I know man. i left because i got tired of the same fire Mike crap.over and over and over. and nothing has changed. just watch.if Mike Anderson goes,so do all those great recruits.
Since nothing has changed does that mean you will be leaving?

Dropkick

I think we should all wait until the season plays out and see what we think of Mike then.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2017, 02:42:31 pm
It all depends on the replacement, doesn't it? I'd replace the AD before allowing Long to hire another coach for any sport.

To be a devil's advocate here, if you took away the names, wouldn't you say the resumes of Bielema and Anderson were quality enough to be hired here? In fact, weren't they better than expected?

Long's fault is that he doesn't look past the resume.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2017, 02:46:51 pm
To be a devil's advocate here, if you took away the names, wouldn't you say the resumes of Bielema and Anderson were quality enough to be hired here? In fact, weren't they better than expected?

Long's fault is that he doesn't look past the resume.

That's the thing. Resume not fit.
[CENSORED]!

010HogFan

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 03, 2017, 02:13:06 pm
Not confident Mike will do anything with those recruits. We have a very talented roster right now and Im gonna say we miss the dance yet again. So yes it is worth losing those recruits.

"very talented" is a stretch. Hard to say that our roster is very talented when we have multiple guys that shouldn't be playing D1 basketball seeing significant minutes. Gafford would be our best rebounder right now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2017, 02:48:29 pm
That's the thing. Resume not fit.

Exactly. Basketball and Football are moving away from the style of play those two like to coach. Even to the point that officiating favors playing differently than they like to coach.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 03, 2017, 02:48:49 pm
"very talented" is a stretch. Hard to say that our roster is very talented when we have multiple guys that shouldn't be playing D1 basketball seeing significant minutes. Gafford would be our best rebounder right now.

Who are those "multiple guys" you speak of?

forrest city joe

Now i am with you on the Long part. i have never been a fan of Jeff Long.disagree with you on firing Mike.

Dropkick

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 02:40:10 pm
With all due respect Joe, how long do you think we should stick with MA if he continues to miss the Dance?

p.s. Glad you are back

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 24, 2010, 07:53:37 pm
Yes. he keeps his job no matter what. he needs 2 or 3 more years to get the 3 in-state recruits.REMEMBER?

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 22, 2011, 09:36:12 pm
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 12, 2011, 11:40:35 am
The idea that we cant do it in 2 sports is a load of crap. we should always be a top  15 program in basketball and football. and if Long said that, he should be ran out of here. you only need someone who can coach, and 2 or 3 good players to be good in basketball.for god sakes freaking butler was in the finals last year. this is nothing but another excuse for Pel and the basketball program being so bad.that dog won't hunt here at arkansas.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Marshfieldhog

This, Jeff Long has to go first. Then see where we are at coach wise.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2017, 02:43:26 pm
Since nothing has changed does that mean you will be leaving?
Nope.any more questions?

The_Iceman

Look at the schedule. If we win tonight, we could be 8-1 in the SEC after the Kentucky game going into @SC. These first 3 are probably 3 of the toughest games on our schedule. @Tamu and @SC are gonna be tought tho.

forrest city joe

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 03:05:12 pm
And? everything i said about Pel proved to be true. try again.

Change your mind on what our basketball program should be?

Are you hiding Mike behind recruiting classes? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

When we hired Mike, people were looking for the next Nolan Richardson. Honestly, I think Frank Martin is closer to Nolan than Mike is.

We missed out there, imo.

010HogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2017, 02:54:27 pm
Who are those "multiple guys" you speak of?

thought it was against the rules to talk bad about players but one of them is a coach's son who is by all accounts a good person who hustles but should not be on the floor if our roster is as superior as some are saying. Our roster is full of role players who have no clear cut role and we don't have a superstar. I'm sorry but that is not the makings of a very talented roster as evidenced by what Florida did to us the other night.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 03:06:46 pm
Change your mind on what our basketball program should be?

Are you hiding Mike behind recruiting classes? 
He's on his way to getting us there. have you see the recruiting classes he has lined up? you want to lose all those players?

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 03:17:51 pm
He's on his way to getting us there. have you see the recruiting classes he has lined up? you want to lose all those players?

Once again FCJ puts coach above program, so yep, nothing has changed.

HEy, I heard Mike is on a great class for 2034, some real studs were just born this last year, grandsons of several of Mikes old playing buddies, guess we should sign Mike through 2035 to make sure those kids do not get away.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

First, I knew why you left...any questioning/criticism of CMA, no matter how valid it might be, can't be tolerated, so you took your ball and went home.

You don't realize this, but while you were gone I probably quoted your most infamous line 3 or 4 times since then. To me, it summarized in one sentence exactly what is wrong with all the CMA lackeys that have turned this forum into a NAACP convention.

Forrest City Joe: "Mike can have as long as he wants, or as long as he needs."

That is exactly what is wrong here. You have a small but vocal contingent(at least on here) of people that would support Mike to the point of death. Wins/losses are basically irrelevant as any and every event is spun in some way to make Mike look the best. The hypocrisy is what drives me crazy, Joe, because I've been listening to you call into radio shows for years and you're usually the first guy to call in and scream for somebody's head to roll.

it's all a bunch of racial politics and I have no use for it. Just look at the record. Period.

HognitiveDissonance

For the record, I have stated that based on what happened with Heath and Pelphrey, CMA should be fired too. One standard for all is totally fair.
I actually said Heath's results after five years were slightly better than Anderson's results after five.
But, I also said Anderson's past contributions to the program and history should not be discounted, so I was ok with them giving him another year. That seemed fair to me. And that's where we are now. I'm withholding judgment until after the year is over. They might go on a tear, or they might tank. Let's watch.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 03, 2017, 03:25:49 pm
For the record, I have stated that based on what happened with Heath and Pelphrey, CMA should be fired too. One standard for all is totally fair.
I actually said Heath's results after five years were slightly better than Anderson's results after five.
But, I also said Anderson's past contributions to the program and history should not be discounted, so I was ok with them giving him another year. That seemed fair to me. And that's where we are now. I'm withholding judgment until after the year is over. They might go on a tear, or they might tank. Let's watch.

They will do neither. They will limp into the ncaat at around a 7-9 seed, and fcj will build a statue to Mike a claim him the greatest coach evah.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 02:55:46 pm
Now i am with you on the Long part. i have never been a fan of Jeff Long.disagree with you on firing Mike.
I will agree with you on that point 'be careful what you wish for'.
It's one argument to say whether CMA should be fired.
It's another, separate, argument to wonder if things would turn out better.

Because Jeff Long would be doing the hiring. His track record in that regard is suspect. He seems content to try to hit doubles when I would prefer to swing for the fences. That's because, unlike Frank, Long doesn't seem to have an eye for coaching talent.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 03, 2017, 03:29:09 pm
I will agree with you on that point 'be careful what you wish for'.
It's one argument to say whether CMA should be fired.
It's another, separate, argument to wonder if things would turn out better.

Because Jeff Long would be doing the hiring. His track record in that regard is suspect. He seems content to try to hit doubles when I would prefer to swing for the fences. That's because, unlike Frank, Long doesn't seem to have an eye for coaching talent.

JFB was allowed to go get the guy he wanted all on his own. The last guy he was allowed to hire that was was DVH, and he turned out pretty good.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 03, 2017, 03:16:47 pm
thought it was against the rules to talk bad about players but one of them is a coach's son who is by all accounts a good person who hustles but should not be on the floor if our roster is as superior as some are saying. Our roster is full of role players who have no clear cut role and we don't have a superstar. I'm sorry but that is not the makings of a very talented roster as evidenced by what Florida did to us the other night.

So you named one player. And that player had 4 pts, 6 rebs, 2 asts, and 0 turnovers in 23 minutes vs. Florida.

For the season, he has averaged 6 pts, 4 rebs, 2 asts, 1.5 stls, on 53% shooting in 22 minutes per game.

Try again. Manny belongs on the court. He isn't a star, but he hustles, plays good defense, and produces a solid stat line.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 03:27:51 pm
They will do neither. They will limp into the ncaat at around a 7-9 seed, and fcj will build a statue to Mike a claim him the greatest coach evah.
If we get a 7-9 seed, I'll be turning cartwheels.
I'm already on record saying I would take a 12 seed and be happy.
I just want to start making a habit of being in the Dance every year, like it used to be. 12 seed would work fine this year.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 03:17:51 pm

How many of those kids can we expect to stick around for 2+ seasons?

Prior to this season, MA has signed & brought in 16 scholarship freshman over five seasons. Combined we have gotten 34.5 seasons out of those 16 players (Beard's suspension is the half). That's a smidgen more than two seasons played per freshman signed.

Three of the last five have left after just one disappointing season. Once Moses goes that will be just two of 16 (12.5%) that stayed for four full seasons. You can count Manny if you want (17), but he was a walk-on to start.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

January 03, 2017, 03:36:25 pm #40 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:03:59 pm by The_Iceman
Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 03, 2017, 03:25:49 pm

To be fair, Mike Anderson's on court success has been about equal to Heath and worse (edit*) better than Pelphrey, but his off court record far exceeds both of them.

His on court success warrants being let go, but maybe the success off the court is saving him...for now.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 03:30:54 pm
JFB was allowed to go get the guy he wanted all on his own. The last guy he was allowed to hire that was was DVH, and he turned out pretty good.
Exactly.
Broyles wasn't even running the department in the later years, John White was. That worked out well (sarcasm).
Biggest disaster in the past 50 years, not getting Bill Self in 2002 when he wanted the job. But no, according to John White, you gotta come to campus for a public interview (which means only guys with nothing to lose will show up). I vomit every time I think about it: we lost out on a chance to have a 40+ year run of Eddie Sutton, Nolan Richardson, and Bill Self.

Thanks John.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2017, 03:33:12 pm
So you named one player. And that player had 4 pts, 6 rebs, 2 asts, and 0 turnovers in 23 minutes vs. Florida.

For the season, he has averaged 6 pts, 4 rebs, 2 asts, 1.5 stls, on 53% shooting in 22 minutes per game.

Try again. Manny belongs on the court. He isn't a star, but he hustles, plays good defense, and produces a solid state line.

Manny would belong on the court IF we had 3 or 4 others prolific scorers to go with him. A team needs a role player but not 5 n the court at one time. When Manny is on the floor, it is 4 on 5 when the Hogs are on offense. He is not a threat to score anything but trash baskets. When he gets the ball more than 6 ft out, his defender ignores him. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 03:37:40 pm
Manny would belong on the court IF we had 3 or 4 others prolific scorers to go with him. A team needs a role player but not 5 n the court at one time. When Manny is on the floor, it is 4 on 5 when the Hogs are on offense. He is not a threat to score anything but trash baskets. When he gets the ball more than 6 ft out, his defender ignores him.

I don't disagree. But none of that is Manny's fault and not what the poster was intending to say.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 03:30:54 pm

Technically, the last guy JFB was allowed to go and hire on his own was Dana Altman, in 2007. DVH was here in 2003.

JFB was more excited about getting to Augusta, GA than he was telling the truth about the status of the basketball program.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 03, 2017, 03:43:15 pm
Technically, the last guy JFB was allowed to go and hire on his own was Dana Altman, in 2007. DVH was here in 2003.

JFB was more excited about getting to Augusta, GA than he was telling the truth about the status of the basketball program.

He was not allowed to do that on his own either. White fouled all that up way back in 97 when he forced a committee to hire Fords replacement. Same committee was used when Nolan was fired. I am convinced of 2 things, had White stayed out of it, HDN would have NOT been the football coach in 98, and Bill Self WOULD have been Nolans replacement. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 03:22:39 pm
Once again FCJ puts coach above program, so yep, nothing has changed.

HEy, I heard Mike is on a great class for 2034, some real studs were just born this last year, grandsons of several of Mikes old playing buddies, guess we should sign Mike through 2035 to make sure those kids do not get away.
Very funny. the program always comes first. and with these recruiting classes line up.this would be the worst time for the program to fire the head coach. it would hurt the program losing those great players.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 03:46:03 pm
He was not allowed to do that on his own either. White fouled all that up way back in 97 when he forced a committee to hire Fords replacement. Same committee was used when Nolan was fired. I am convinced of 2 things, had White stayed out of it, HDN would have NOT been the football coach in 98, and Bill Self WOULD have been Nolans replacement. 

For Altman, he was. JFB took a plane to the Final Four in Atlanta and brought Altman back with him. Once they landed, JFB handed Altman off to White, made a quick speech to the press, and took off for The Masters.

It was that failed hire that led to White hiring the $90k search firm that led to Pelphrey.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 03:49:01 pm
Very funny. the program always comes first. and with these recruiting classes line up.this would be the worst time for the program to fire the head coach. it would hurt the program losing those great players.
Sure it does.
As long as CMA is the coach, the program comes first.
Meanwhile, the first sign of trouble, you're the first guy to pick up a rock and want to stone another coach. "Now Randy...this is unacceptable..."

elksnort

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2017, 03:49:01 pm
So what are you expectations for this year's teams?  I get tired of hearing about "next year".