Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leader of the team is....

Started by RacinRazorback, January 03, 2017, 10:15:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RacinRazorback

Daryl Macon! He seems to be the one the team tries to find when he is on the floor. I think he has been the brightest spot so far this year! To this point,unfortunately, I think we go as far as Moses takes us! Hopefully he can pick it up on the offensive end and be the player we need him to be!

cardsNhogs

Macon is the best player on this team. Kingsley needs to be the best player on this team.

Hannahs has been minimized. I'm not sure if he did it to himself or what, but we need him playing more.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2017, 10:45:24 am
Hannahs has been minimized. I'm not sure if he did it to himself or what, but we need him playing more.

Macon: 13.9 pts, 3.2 rebs, 2.8 asts, 1.6 stls, 40% from 3.

Hannahs: 14.6 pts, 1.7 rebs, 1.reb asts, 0.6 stls, 37% from 3.

Macon simply does more then Dusty. Throw in Beard, Barford, and Watkins who are all having a good year and have much more all around games, it's hard to play Dusty if he isn't scoring.

FineAsSwine

Hannahs is getting the minutes and the shots. Just needs to be more effective.

HF#1

Macon is without a doubt the best player on this team.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogimus Prime

IMO Kingsley and Hannahs are missing Durham. They both need a true pg to get them shots.

HF#1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 03, 2017, 01:55:17 pm
IMO Kingsley and Hannahs are missing Durham. They both need a true pg to get them shots.

Wasn't that the role Beard was supposed to fill? Between Beard and Kingsley, my disappointment is real.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: HF#1 on January 03, 2017, 01:59:49 pm
Wasn't that the role Beard was supposed to fill? Between Beard and Kingsley, my disappointment is real.

Beard is more of a combo guard

HF#1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 03, 2017, 02:01:09 pm

That's a good label.  Better than "I'm not sure what the hell his role is".

Dwight_K_Shrute

Well leader and best player are two different things. When I think of the leader of a team it's not necessarily the top scorer.  It's who is going to get in guys faces when they are loafing, playing selfishly, or just out of control.  Who is going to gather the team and fire them up or say "We got this".
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: HF#1 on January 03, 2017, 02:05:05 pm
That's a good label.  Better than "I'm not sure what the hell his role is".

Ha.  It's what he is. He'd be a good guard off the bench to back up the pg or play along side the pg.

Sho Nuff

Completely agree - Jabril didn't get the respect that he should have.  He wasn't the best scorer, but most true PGs aren't.

hobhog

SPAL

It just means he isn't having to carry the load by himself....My gosh man.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 03, 2017, 08:13:49 pm
It just means he isn't having to carry the load by himself....My gosh man.

Yes. The guard rotation is starting to look pretty stout.  Just need more from Kingsley on the offensive end.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 03, 2017, 10:21:27 am
Macon is the best player on this team. Kingsley needs to be the best player on this team.

Lol guys, when Moses was the best player (which I still think he might be because what he brings) and the offense revolved around Hannah's we went 16-16.  Having more weapons takes away from them but makes the Hogs a better team.  They'll keep getting better too and hopefully the Hogs starting scoring in the 90's and stopping people defensively to where everybody's getting theirs.   

Temprees

Kingsley is not working hard enough on either end.  His movements on the offensive are not crisp.  Too slow.  Posts need to be quicker and stronger.  He's gliding to his spots right now.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Temprees on January 03, 2017, 09:08:28 pm
Kingsley is not working hard enough on either end.  His movements on the offensive are not crisp.  Too slow.  Posts need to be quicker and stronger.  He's gliding to his spots right now.

True and I think some of that goes back to Durham. He knew when and where to get MK the ball and that made MK post moves more productive

regi

Oddly, Beard is probably one of the leaders, team seems to flow better with him at lead guard.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: regi on January 03, 2017, 09:45:33 pm
Oddly, Beard is probably one of the leaders, team seems to flow better with him at lead guard.

I agree with this.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HognitiveDissonance

Hannahs is on everyone's scouting report this year. Teams are smart and they're determined not to let him get open looks.
Even Sam Houston St in the LR game had a game plan and special defender for him, their coach said so.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 03, 2017, 09:40:51 pm
True and I think some of that goes back to Durham. He knew when and where to get MK the ball and that made MK post moves more productive
Totally agree and have said that before.
Durham got Kingsley the ball in good positions more often.

AugustaHog

Beard has impressed me thus far.  He's much more under control than in previous years.  His consistency has improved greatly.  This team lacks a true PG though, which IMO is why we get off kilter and go from a humming machine to ineffective in no time.  We need that floor general to make the offense flow.  Too many times we get under 10 seconds on the clock and just wind up jacking up a poor shot.   Macon, Barford, Beard, Watkins, and Hannahs are all really of the combo guard mold.  Macon is clearly the lead dog out there though.  When we need a tough basket or somebody to knock down tough FTs, he's the guy with the ball in his hands.  Barford hit a couple nasty driving layups last night that were at crucial times.  When things start clicking a little more for him, he's going to be dangerous. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 04, 2017, 09:02:20 am
Beard has impressed me thus far.  He's much more under control than in previous years.  His consistency has improved greatly.  This team lacks a true PG though, which IMO is why we get off kilter and go from a humming machine to ineffective in no time.  We need that floor general to make the offense flow.  Too many times we get under 10 seconds on the clock and just wind up jacking up a poor shot.   Macon, Barford, Beard, Watkins, and Hannahs are all really of the combo guard mold.  Macon is clearly the lead dog out there though.  When we need a tough basket or somebody to knock down tough FTs, he's the guy with the ball in his hands.  Barford hit a couple nasty driving layups last night that were at crucial times.  When things start clicking a little more for him, he's going to be dangerous.

I think Jabril Durham is overlooked at how good he was at being a true point guard. Best we've had in a long time. Wish that was his sophomore year last year instead of his senior year. Downside of JUCOs.

hvsupastar

I do find it kind of strange after being voted SEC POY in the pre-season that Kingsley has been so lackluster
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

S.A.D.C

Why?  This team can do a lot with Kingsley continuing to protect the rim on Dfense and rebound.  Macon is the best defender on the perimeter, best offensive player, and best free throw shooter.  At his best Moses couldn't be all three of those things. 

S.A.D.C

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 04, 2017, 09:09:35 am
I do find it kind of strange after being voted SEC POY in the pre-season that Kingsley has been so lackluster

Happens all the time.  For one, I think he is trying to hard.  For two, this is a totally different team than last year and he has to have a new role.  He hasn't been lackluster on Defense. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 04, 2017, 09:09:35 am
Maybe he has, but I'm not so sure.
I said the day after he was voted preseason POY, it was a nice honor but he was NOT going to win it.
In some ways, it's the worst thing that happened to him, because now people expect him to be something he's not.
He's a rim protector, rebounder, paint presence guy with some fairly good offense too.
The expectations are too high.
Like, after the Fla game, someone posted that we needed to get him going. I looked at the box score and he had 13 pts, 14 reb, and 4 blocks. Seems like a heckuva game to me. I'll take that every single night in a heartbeat.

Youngsta71701

Macon is the best all around player. Beard is the leader.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

King Kong

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 03, 2017, 02:01:09 pm

Prior to this year I would agree. But he has really ran the offense this season

DiamondHogFan

Durham was good, but I don't think his absence is the sole reason that Kingsley and Hannahs aren't as productive this year.  As some one pointed out earlier, those guys just don't have to carry the load this year because we have so many more capable scorers.  Hannahs will have some big games when he is the hot hand.  Kingsley needs to be more assertive on the block and he will receive more touches. 

We are a better team this year with the new guys simply because they give us more options.  They don't have to try to get the ball to Hannahs or Kingsley to score.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 04, 2017, 09:02:20 am
When Barford's jump shot is going and he's not turning the ball over he is hard to stop. At that point he can get into the lane anytime he wants.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 05, 2017, 08:24:51 am
When Barford's jump shot is going and he's not turning the ball over he is hard to stop. At that point he can get into the lane anytime he wants.
We just have to weather the storm in the early part of the conference season and let these guys get used to D1 hoops.  If they can get to February in good standing, the schedule lightens up greatly and we have the opportunity to string some wins together.  I'm not sure that we are a great team, but maybe we can be that #3 team behind UK and UF.  That should be good enough for a tourney bid. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 05, 2017, 12:08:45 pm
We just have to weather the storm in the early part of the conference season and let these guys get used to D1 hoops.  If they can get to February in good standing, the schedule lightens up greatly and we have the opportunity to string some wins together.  I'm not sure that we are a great team, but maybe we can be that #3 team behind UK and UF.  That should be good enough for a tourney bid.
This is what I'm hoping for at this point. I'm believe we have the third best team in the SEC behind Kentucky and Florida.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 05, 2017, 12:08:45 pm

Storm clouds expected to cover most of Arkansas Saturday night with the scattered hail of despair and funnel clouds of anger touching down on Jump Ball as a cold, blue front settles in for a couple of hours in and around Rupp Arena. After that, expect the clouds to clear with a few lingering thundershowers here and there.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: King Kong on January 05, 2017, 08:20:24 am
Prior to this year I would agree. But he has really ran the offense this season

That he has.

HawgnCorona

You make a good point here...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Rawker

In my very humble opinion, I feel like ya'll need to watch closer.  Macon yells at guys, pushes the crowd to get fired up (tried hard against FL and the crowd responded with a "meeeeeeeh"), sets the example by slicing to the hole and banging outside shots, is running things more at the top, and in the end of a tight game, there is no doubt anymore who you want running around with the ball.  MACON BUCKETS!!!!!  I wanted to see him as a Hog so bad after watching him in a couple of HS games (including an All-Star game where he schooled Nick Babb and Trey Thompson and everyone else on the court), and I wish we had gotten him earlier, but I'm glad he's here now.  Macon is the leader this year and will definitely be next year.   

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 03, 2017, 08:21:58 pm
Lol guys, when Moses was the best player (which I still think he might be because what he brings) and the offense revolved around Hannah's we went 16-16.  Having more weapons takes away from them but makes the Hogs a better team.  They'll keep getting better too and hopefully the Hogs starting scoring in the 90's and stopping people defensively to where everybody's getting theirs.   
Watkins doesn't need to be playing 20 minutes a night.

Athog

Kingsley never has been the best player unfortunately.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Karma on January 05, 2017, 10:37:35 pm
Watkins doesn't need to be playing 20 minutes a night.
How many mistakes to you see Watkins making every game...I'll wait and listen...
He almost always makes the right play. That's why he's playing. He doesn't make many mistakes.
He might not win the game for you but he's not going to lose it either.
Like I always say. There's more to basketball than scoring.