Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee Is A Must Win

Started by hogwood, December 31, 2016, 02:35:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Quote from: HogBreath on December 31, 2016, 08:59:47 pm
I wouldn't sell ole Coach Mike so short in this game...seems like it was at Tennessee where he uttered that great coaching classic line for the ages..."they punkin you"!!
Oh my, this is a jewel. Can anyone post this video or transcript or whatever. Good stuff. Brilliant analysis.

hogwood

Quote from: elksnort on January 03, 2017, 04:04:57 pm
It is not a MUST WIN, but it will be a good indicator where this team is going this season.

This team and the staff needs to get real. They drop opportunities like beating FLA at home, and now risk starting SEC play 0-3. They need to be playing for their season right now or else they will be playing must wins vs. MSST, MO, and at TAMU on the road. Might as well start playing like it's a 'must win' now before we even get to that point. Getting a win on the road is vital for this team to gain confidence and have any chance at being more than 9-9 in SEC. So it is a must win IMO.

elksnort

Quote from: hogwood on January 03, 2017, 04:11:42 pm
This team and the staff needs to get real. They drop opportunities like beating FLA at home, and now risk starting SEC play 0-3. They need to be playing for their season right now or else they will be playing must wins vs. MSST, MO, and at TAMU on the road. Might as well start playing like it's a 'must win' now before we even get to that point. Getting a win on the road is vital for this team to gain confidence and have any chance at being more than 9-9 in SEC. So it is a must win IMO.
I agree that they should PLAY like it's a must win. You are correct I think.

FineAsSwine

Hogville nearly unanimous that the Hogs lose, would be nice to come back after a Hog win and read the new narrative about how Tennessee sucks so badly that the Hogs had no business losing anyway.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 03, 2017, 04:25:50 pm
Hogville nearly unanimous that the Hogs lose, would be nice to come back after a Hog win and read the new narrative about how Tennessee sucks so badly that the Hogs had no business losing anyway.
I will be the first to congratulate Coach A and the Hogs.  I think Tennessee is much better than their record indicates.  They go 10-12 deep into their bench, I don't think we will be able to wear them down.

Also, the above Ray Biggers reference was unintentional.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 02, 2017, 09:27:30 pm
Tennessee is going to beat the darn out of Arkansas.

Quote from: Kevin on January 03, 2017, 10:35:46 am
I just don't think long will fire him

I'm with you fellers ....

Cinco de Hogo

We don't win nearly as often as we should when we shouldn't. 😉

hobhog

UT is youngest and least experienced team in Sec per their beat writer.

FineAsSwine

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

PonderinHog

And that's why they play the games!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

WorfHog

Well hell I'll give this a shot.

Kentucky Is A Must Win

FineAsSwine

Quote from: WorfHog on January 03, 2017, 07:56:35 pm

Kentucky Is A Must Win

You made me laugh.  ;D

Cinco de Hogo

Kentucky Is A Must Win

That's the spirit !

AirForceHog

Quote from: hogwood on January 03, 2017, 04:04:02 pm
Exactly why I said it is a 'must win'. If CMA and this team doesn't treat each of these games from here on out as 'must wins' I don't think they will get to the tournament. Losing your best shot at a good win at home for the rest of the season (what other chances vs #25 talent in BWA do we have?) needs to light a fire in the coaching staff and in the players to be playing for the season. It may not be completely necessary at this point but this team doesn't seem to have the edge otherwise.

You serious? Do you honestly think this team comes in and thinks hmmm we could lose this and be alright. I'm pretty sure they play to win each and every game. We as fans only label must wins.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

passinghog

(notOM)Rebel123

I sure was wrong about tonight's game. Just didn't see the Hogs coming out with a win. But they sure proved me wrong...and I'm glad. Nice win for the guys. Great job!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BroyledNutts

Just wanted to come back and say I'm happy I was wrong about tonight...Good win. Hopefully more to come.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2017, 05:53:09 pm

Has you seen there non conference schedule? The maybe young, but they aren't lacking experience

Swinesong1

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2017, 05:53:09 pm
Heard MS St was. 

King Kong

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 03, 2017, 03:18:39 pm
Can't expect to make the Dance without any true road wins.

Here we are, once again, without any.

Haven't heard from you tonight HA.

Odd you are normally the first person to comment after a win

Arazorbackguy1

They were who we thought they were.  I'm not eating crow tonight like the rest of you suckers. :)
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Biggus Piggus

This game was a lot better performance than the Florida game was, if that's what you are saying.

The Hogs shot much better than the Vols did. Their field goal % defense was solid. Beard, Watkins, Hannahs and Barford got to the basket very well. The only problems were a lack of offensive rebounding + an abundance of personal fouls on defense.

Tennessee's primary offensive strategy is to get fouled, so the fouls were no surprise. Most important - Arkansas denied the Vols the turnover margin they needed. It was a great ballhandling night against a tough man-defensive team.
[CENSORED]!

hogwood

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 03, 2017, 08:14:29 pm

You serious? Do you honestly think this team comes in and thinks hmmm we could lose this and be alright. I'm pretty sure they play to win each and every game. We as fans only label must wins.

Lol. They definitely don't think like that. But energy does vary from game to game, and they need to make that 'must win' energy consistent. After losing to Florida and risking starting 0-3 they should've felt more like they were playing with their backs to the wall, and they played last night like they did and because of that they won. They don't play like that every game, and they need to from here on out if they want an NCAAT bid this year.

hogwood

Kentucky Is A Must Win

No it's not, but that is precisely why Tennessee was.

Rawker

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 31, 2016, 08:21:25 pm
I've watched a few of their games this year, and can say with complete confidence we get a loss. Tennessee is playing hard and scrappy and above their talent level. Plus, like everybody we play, they have a coaching advantage

Once again, research - really just Google - can make you smarter than what you show here.  MA is now 6-2 against Barnes - 3-0 in SEC and 3-2 in Big 12 (and Texas was a supposed elite team at that moment).

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogwood on January 04, 2017, 09:17:56 am
No it's not, but that is precisely why Tennessee was.

Very well said, short and to the point.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 04, 2017, 06:44:02 am
This game was a lot better performance than the Florida game was, if that's what you are saying.

The Hogs shot much better than the Vols did. Their field goal % defense was solid. Beard, Watkins, Hannahs and Barford got to the basket very well. The only problems were a lack of offensive rebounding + an abundance of personal fouls on defense.

Tennessee's primary offensive strategy is to get fouled, so the fouls were no surprise. Most important - Arkansas denied the Vols the turnover margin they needed. It was a great ballhandling night against a tough man-defensive team.
Captain Obvious here... I don't know that the Hogs performed much different last night.  They won the game - YAYYY!!!! - but Florida was a better team on both ends of the floor than Tennessee.

I get frustrated watching Mike's teams play because they fail to make offenses work hard for clean shots, and they stagnate against good defensive efforts... dribbling around the perimeter deep into the shot clock until forcing a bad shot as they get pinched by time.

Of course, that is what good defense does.  And I am having a tough time complaining about Arkansas's offensive efforts the last 2 years - we score reasonably well.  My concern remains our defense - where we simply don't appear to frustrate opponents as we did when we were a successful basketball program.

I question whether Arkansas has enough talent to play good defense.  We need more speed and length.  Kentucky plays good defense - especially against teams like Arkansas that simply cannot match their talent.

I remain unoptimistic.  Hope they prove me wrong.

Biggus Piggus

Tennessee made 44% from 2-pt range (offset in part by 14 offensive boards) and 26% from 3-pt range. The Vols missed 39 shots. Made 25.

They had a chance to win because they got 33 free throw attempts on 24 Arkansas fouls. And much of that stemmed from the Hogs' approach to defending inside. UT's frontcourt players got 22 fouls shots. Thomas, Cook and Thompson picked up 11 fouls.

Arkansas has mediocre talent in its frontcourt. Eric Curry would have made a big difference. He was steered to Minnesota.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

Without totally discrediting our defense, Tennessee simply didn't shoot the ball as well as Florida.  It seemed Tennessee and Florida enjoyed similar open shots against the Hogs.  Florida knocked them down in Fayetteville, Tennessee didn't so much in Knoxville.

I expect Florida to hammer Tennessee.  But I agree that Tennessee was kept in our game last night by a lot of fouls.  Thank God they missed a few.  Thank God Macon hit 6 in a row down the stretch.

I also agree that Arkansas has mediocre talent in its frontcourt.  The frontcourt depth is real thin, and made worse by the fact that our backcourt talent isn't better, or better coached.  I'd utilize what depth we have in the backcourt by demanding better defense.

Dusty is an equally amazing offensive player as he is a bad defensive player.  I love watching him work on offense, but he chases on defense - and sometimes jogs.

Tennessee is young and physical.  They will improve, but they could use a few better players, too.

Good win.  Just don't know quite what to make of it.

hogwood

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 04, 2017, 01:42:35 pm

Arkansas has mediocre talent in its frontcourt. Eric Curry would have made a big difference. He was steered to Minnesota.

So would've Tyler Cook or De'Ron Davis. Hopefully the staff can sneak a solid PF in the 17' class yet. Next year we'll be in the same predicament except we'll actually have some legit SF's (at least Hall and maybe Bailey if that is who he develops into).

The_Iceman

Currently averaging 7 pts, 6 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, and 1 blk per game in 20.5 minutes. Listed at 6'9" 235lb on ESPN. Yeah, he would have fit nicely along side Moses. Plus, he would have 4 years to develop unlike Cook.

Hate losing guys that close to campus.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on January 04, 2017, 05:00:00 pm
So would've Tyler Cook or De'Ron Davis. Hopefully the staff can sneak a solid PF in the 17' class yet. Next year we'll be in the same predicament except we'll actually have some legit SF's (at least Hall and maybe Bailey if that is who he develops into).

With Cook, Thomas, Bailey, and Hazen on the roster next year...and Henderson and Perry coming in 2018...it is unlikely we land a PF in the 2017 class. Need to target a backup Center in either 2017 or 2018.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 05:09:10 pm
With Cook, Thomas, Bailey, and Hazen on the roster next year...and Henderson and Perry coming in 2018...it is unlikely we land a PF in the 2017 class. Need to target a backup Center in either 2017 or 2018.

Neither Cook, Thomas, or Bailey are PF's. That is why a PF has been the staff's top priority with the remaining spot in 2017.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 05:07:33 pm
Currently averaging 7 pts, 6 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, and 1 blk per game in 20.5 minutes. Listed at 6'9" 235lb on ESPN. Yeah, he would have fit nicely along side Moses. Plus, he would have 4 years to develop unlike Cook.

Hate losing guys that close to campus.

Curry had 10 pts, 7 reb, 2 blk in just 12 minutes at Purdue the other night. They went to him in overtime after Reggie Lynch and Jordan Murphy fouled out.
[CENSORED]!

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Tyrant Hog on January 03, 2017, 10:26:54 am
RICK BARNES WILL BEAT THE SOON TO BE FIRED ANDERSON.

He will hu? Interesting
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hawgfan4life

Tennessee made 44% from 2-pt range (offset in part by 14 offensive boards) and 26% from 3-pt range. The Vols missed 39 shots. Made 25.

They had a chance to win because they got 33 free throw attempts on 24 Arkansas fouls. And much of that stemmed from the Hogs' approach to defending inside. UT's frontcourt players got 22 fouls shots. Thomas, Cook and Thompson picked up 11 fouls.

Care to elaborate on Curry being steered to Minnesota?  By whom?  How did the person doing the steering have influence?  It was being reported that AR made a solid effort trying to get him, but he simply chose Minnesota because of a buddy going there.