Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee Is A Must Win

Started by hogwood, December 31, 2016, 02:35:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Florida would've been a great win for us but losing to them has made Tennessee a must win to try and avoid going 0-3. It would be hard to get back into the SEC race after losing all momentum and starting off 0-3. Let's go Hogs and git'r done.

Razorod

Quote from: hogwood on December 31, 2016, 02:35:04 pm
Florida would've been a great win for us but losing to them has made Tennessee a must win to try and avoid going 0-3. It would be hard to get back into the SEC race after losing all momentum and starting off 0-3. Let's go Hogs and git'r done.
I agree to an extent. We're not going to win the race whether we beat tenn or not. But, it is a critical game in that we need to avoid an 0-3 start. 0-3 is never good. Not the end of the world necessarily, but not what CMA or the Hogs need--especially if the third loss is in blowout fashion to KY.

0-3 with a blowout loss to the Wildcats would impact home crowds in games four and five.

0-3 would also damage  RPI and NCAA tourney hopes quite a bit.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Arazorbackguy1

It's important, simply because Tenner is just not good.  If we lose to them, it defines insanity. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on December 31, 2016, 03:40:12 pm
It's important, simply because Tenner is just not good.  If we lose to them, it defines insanity. 

Defy insanity, really? Four of Tenner's five losses:

vs #16 Wisconsin: 74-62 (Maui Invitational)
vs #13 Oregon: 69-65 in OT (Maui)
@ #7 North Carolina: 73-71
vs #8 Gonzaga: 86-76

And they just won @ Texas A&M, 73-63. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Letsroll1200

A little research could have helped you

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 31, 2016, 03:44:31 pm
Defy insanity, really? Four of Tenner's five losses:

vs #16 Wisconsin: 74-62 (Maui Invitational)
vs #13 Oregon: 69-65 in OT (Maui)
@ #7 North Carolina: 73-71
vs #8 Gonzaga: 86-76

And they just won @ Texas A&M, 73-63.

I have defied insanity on here for years and have made no progress. Glad to see someone still trying though.

Razorod

Tennessee has played well this year. It will not be an easy game. You know Barnes will want a little pay back because the Hogs swept them last year.

Hawg Red

I agree that it's looking like a must-win, but I don't see us beating them based on how they've played over the course of the early season. Ugly loss to start off vs Chattanooga, but they've stood tough against 4 top 15-ish programs. They're usually tough at home, too. Our guys have to step up here and get a win. 

jdunhog

How about a 1-2 start with a win at kentucky. Beast Mo will dominate!!

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Albert Swinestein

I have been to three of their games this year, and Tennessee is surprising many so far this year.  A bunch of new kids on the roster, and full of lightly recruited kids.  They were not supposed to be good this year and I think they were predicted to be one of the bottom handful of teams in the conference.  They have had injuries where their top player is out and injuries have hit other players as well.  On paper, Arkansas has the better talent by quite a bit, but I think Tennessee has benefited from playing a tougher schedule and they are responding to Barnes.

Letsroll1200

We struggle with quick guards that can get in the lane. Tennessee  does not have a strong quick lead guard. However they have two guys in Mostella and Bowden that are shot makers.
There biggest player is 6-10 but he's not a threat on offense. I like our match-ups in this game. If we can get better production from Kingsley and Thomas on offense  our size could help us pull this one off.
This is a tough and defensive Tennessee team that will be ready. Hopefully the hogs can bounce back. We have to defend and make them make tough contested shots.

King Kong

TheRazorback500

You're right, it's not. I had a feeling we'd probably be 0-3 after Kentucky, and seeing UT's beatdown of A&M reinforced it. Unless the Vols have a case of home stage fright, we're probably looking at an L. We just need to find some bright spots and look to improve for the easier second half of the conference schedule.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

TNhawgfan

I've watched a few of their games this year, and can say with complete confidence we get a loss. Tennessee is playing hard and scrappy and above their talent level. Plus, like everybody we play, they have a coaching advantage
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HogBreath

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 31, 2016, 08:21:25 pm
I've watched a few of their games this year, and can say with complete confidence we get a loss. Tennessee is playing hard and scrappy and above their talent level. Plus, like everybody we play, they have a coaching advantage
I wouldn't sell ole Coach Mike so short in this game...seems like it was at Tennessee where he uttered that great coaching classic line for the ages..."they punkin you"!!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Letsroll1200

Hopefully we will see the combination of Kingsley and Thopson. Played them together last season against Tennessee and they couldn't handle our size. Dusty made some big shots also.

hawgfan4life

No!  It is not a must win.  Any combination of wins that gets them 22 wins going to SEC tournament and getting past the first round likely works.  Hot streak late is much better than a bad start.

hogwood

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 31, 2016, 09:56:17 pm
No!  It is not a must win.  Any combination of wins that gets them 22 wins going to SEC tournament and getting past the first round likely works.  Hot streak late is much better than a bad start.

*Any* combination of 22 wins does not guarantee us getting a bid. I do think we can salvage the season even if we go 0-3, but it will be a pretty tough task for this team to do.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 31, 2016, 09:46:38 pm
Hopefully we will see the combination of Kingsley and Thopson. Played them together last season against Tennessee and they couldn't handle our size. Dusty made some big shots also.
author=Hlink=topic=625130.msg10641200#msg10641200 date=1483239587]
I wouldn't sell ole Coach Mike so short in this game...seems like it was at Tennessee where he uttered that great coaching classic line for the ages..."they punkin you"!!
Yeah, that was a great teaching moment. Phog Allen and John Wooden were taking notes.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

rude1

It's not a must win and I don't believe they will win it. Saying it is a must win is saying the season is over if you don't win it. Hard to make an argument that two games into an 18 game schedule it's must win.

niels_boar

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2016, 10:42:07 pm
HawgAdvocate,

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time, look at the quality of their wins - not so impressive.

Texas A&M (101) is their best win, followed by wins over team with RPI's of 114, 209, 234, 299, 337, and 347.

With the RPI of their OOC opponents dropping, Arkansas needs wins like this to build their case for a bid.

If you are going to use the RPI to justify your opinion, you might want to take note that Tennessee is #65.   A&M will not be sub-100 at the end of the season.  They are currently #45 in Pomeroy.

Sure, all road wins are big plusses in getting a bid.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hogwood

Quote from: rude1 on December 31, 2016, 11:33:48 pm
It's not a must win and I don't believe they will win it. Saying it is a must win is saying the season is over if you don't win it. Hard to make an argument that two games into an 18 game schedule it's must win.

CMA teams rely on momentum greatly, and not just in games. It will be a tough turn around after going 0-3. This is a must win if we want to avoid being in a tough position, especially with confidence on the road.

Atlhogfan1

The SEC has too many mediocre to bad teams for Tenn to be a must win.  The home sched rest of the way has a lot of wins in it. Maybe 8. Winning at least a few on the road is probable. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sivad

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2017, 11:14:55 am
The SEC has too many mediocre to bad teams for Tenn to be a must win. 
Combined with an ultra lightweight OOC schedule of patsies we should be a lock for the NCAAt.
Any success there - not so much.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Just about every game from here on out needs to be considered a "must win" unless we want a bunch of drama late in the season, likely involving fretting how many wins the Hogs have to notch in the SECT.

This league is too mediocre to think winnable road games aren't must wins.

This is especially true when you blow the opportunity to get a really good win at home.

Technically is it a must win?  Well, no.

But in every other aspect it sure looks like one.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: hogwood on December 31, 2016, 11:21:38 pm
*Any* combination of 22 wins does not guarantee us getting a bid. I do think we can salvage the season even if we go 0-3, but it will be a pretty tough task for this team to do.

23 wins counting a first round win likely gets us in, but you are correct that it doesn't guarantee anything.  Still better to win most late than win at TN and a season of win a couple lose one the rest of the way.  Committee likes seeing hot teams.

swinesation

Not good? Lost 73-71 AT NC????

Biggus Piggus

Tennessee is going to beat the darn out of Arkansas.
[CENSORED]!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 02, 2017, 09:27:30 pm

Not sure if they'll beat the darn out of the Hogs, but nothing this team has done this year makes me feel good about our chances on a road win.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Razorod

At least the game is tonight. Five days waiting after a loss is hard on everybody. From this point forward we get into a regular rhythm of either three or four day gaps after games. Perhaps that will also help this team.

FineAsSwine

Team has a lot of room for growth. Hope they continue that process and eke out a win at Tenner.

Biggus Piggus

Rick Barnes is doing a lot with a limited roster. The Aggies had a huge size advantage but only managed to shoot 36% inside while giving up 50% to the Vols, who were led inside by a 6-5 freshman forward.

Tennessee is starting three freshmen who were part of the 48th-ranked recruiting class. They are all about defense, lacking in offensive punch, making up for it by controlling games from possession to possession. A huge part of their game = getting fouled and making FTs, just like Arkansas.

If you could count on Moses Kingsley to make a difference, you might favor the Hogs in this game. Tennessee should not be able to match up against Kingsley, but who knows what he'll do from game to game.

The Vols are very good at making it hard for opponents to run their offense, and they're also good at drawing fouls when they have the ball.

Arkansas won at Knoxville by 10 last season, but that team was injury-depleted (minus its top two scorers). I'd be surprised if Tennessee lost this one at home after beating aTm on the road, but it IS a team that starts three freshmen and relies on a couple more off the bench.
[CENSORED]!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 02, 2017, 09:27:30 pm

It's a road game so it could happen. Not what I'm expecting though. Should be a close one, win or lose.

Tyrant Hog

RICK BARNES WILL BEAT THE SOON TO BE FIRED ANDERSON.

Kevin

Quote from: Tyrant Hog on January 03, 2017, 10:26:54 am

I just don't think long will fire him
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Tyrant Hog on January 03, 2017, 10:26:54 am

First post and it's in all caps. Not a good sign.

Biggus Piggus

It might be poor timing for Anderson to have a team underperform on him -- should it happen. We're one game into the SEC schedule. Florida is a good team. The Hogs can improve a lot. Would be jumping to conclusions to say Anderson's already in trouble.

But this might be a bad time for his team to fall short, because Long needs to do something to placate the hordes, and he can't fire Bielema.
[CENSORED]!

Sho Nuff

I will be really surprised if we beat the vols.  They are better than their record, and I think we are worse than ours.  Couple that with the fact that we rarely shoot well on the road - I'm thinking Tenn 78 Hogs 62

HF#1

0-3 would be difficult to overcome but not impossible. After Kentucky the schedule gets incredibly easier.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: HF#1 on January 03, 2017, 01:25:52 pm
0-3 would be difficult to overcome but not impossible. After Kentucky the schedule gets incredibly easier.

And thus the Hogs can't afford many (if any) letdowns if they do come out of this stretch 0-3.

None of those post--KY games will do much to help a tourney resume, but they'll certainly hurt one.

HF#1

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 03, 2017, 02:18:26 pm
And thus the Hogs can't afford many (if any) letdowns if they do come out of this stretch 0-3.

None of those post--KY games will do much to help a tourney resume, but they'll certainly hurt one.

Won't get an argument from me. If we want to be in the tournament, Tenner is a critical game.  Having to make up an 0-3 start is a lot of pressure to put on this team.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HawgAdvocate

Can't expect to make the Dance without any true road wins.

Here we are, once again, without any.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 02, 2017, 07:08:48 pm
Just about every game from here on out needs to be considered a "must win" unless we want a bunch of drama late in the season, likely involving fretting how many wins the Hogs have to notch in the SECT.

This is especially true when you blow the opportunity to get a really good win at home.

But your arguing with the "winning isn't important" crowd.  Let's not put undue pressure on the players or coaches.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 03, 2017, 03:21:07 pm
But your arguing with the "winning isn't important" crowd.  Let's not put undue pressure on the players or coaches.

Really?  Anyone saying this game isn't a must win equals winning doesn't matter?

If the makeup of the team is what is needed to go to the tournament, they will put enough pressure on themselves.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 03, 2017, 03:29:54 pm
Really?  Anyone saying this game isn't a must win equals winning doesn't matter?

If the makeup of the team is what is needed to go to the tournament, they will put enough pressure on themselves.

You play the game to win, that's the mentality of a player and coach.  If YOU want to look at it as a possible loss before the game is played that's you tight.  I had much rather they approach it as a must win.  Records become what they are after the game is played not before. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 03, 2017, 03:18:39 pm
Can't expect to make the Dance without any true road wins.

Here we are, once again, without any.

We've only played one. We did beat Texas on a neutral floor.

Let's see what happens after tonight.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2017, 03:38:49 pm
We've only played one. We did beat Texas on a neutral floor.

Let's see what happens after tonight.

There's certainly no law that says Arkansas has to only schedule but one true road game, prior to January. But, they do as they wish, by design.

hogwood

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 02, 2017, 07:08:48 pm

Exactly why I said it is a 'must win'. If CMA and this team doesn't treat each of these games from here on out as 'must wins' I don't think they will get to the tournament. Losing your best shot at a good win at home for the rest of the season (what other chances vs #25 talent in BWA do we have?) needs to light a fire in the coaching staff and in the players to be playing for the season. It may not be completely necessary at this point but this team doesn't seem to have the edge otherwise.

elksnort

It is not a MUST WIN, but it will be a good indicator where this team is going this season.