Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NO BALL HANDLERS!

Started by jmalott86, December 21, 2007, 01:33:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jmalott86

I love the hogs and will support this team to the end, but I have never seen a group with this much raw talent have absolutely no ball handling/ passing skills. I am beginning to wonder if the announcer during the providence game was right about us being a bunch of great athletes, but not real good basketball players. Hopefully the new crop of guards next year can help, but it is sad to see our frontcourt suffer because of the lack of backcourt fundamentals. I really believe my 13 year old son could make a better entry pass to the post than anyone we have. Its kinda like watching D-mac and Felix go 8-4 because of the lack of a passing game. I hate seeing us waste of all that senior talent, but hey theres alot of bball left, maybe someone will emerge as a serviceable PG.

Go Hogs, hang in there and keep getting better.

Merry Christmas

ConwayHog

Quote from: jmalott86 on December 21, 2007, 01:33:48 pm
I love the hogs and will support this team to the end, but I have never seen a group with this much raw talent have absolutely no ball handling/ passing skills. I am beginning to wonder if the announcer during the providence game was right about us being a bunch of great athletes, but not real good basketball players. Hopefully the new crop of guards next year can help, but it is sad to see our frontcourt suffer because of the lack of backcourt fundamentals. I really believe my 13 year old son could make a better entry pass to the post than anyone we have. Its kinda like watching D-mac and Felix go 8-4 because of the lack of a passing game. I hate seeing us waste of all that senior talent, but hey theres alot of bball left, maybe someone will emerge as a serviceable PG.

Go Hogs, hang in there and keep getting better.

Merry Christmas

Fran was close to being right.  I think we have more pure basketball players than 1 or 2 but not by much.

If anyone still thinks we should have kept Heath, you should realize we had ZERO quality true point guards in five years and we certainly don't have one this year.  Hopefully, Fortson will take care of that issue next year.

razorhead94

dont worry we are getting three point guards next year so i think we will take plenty care of the basketball....by the way Courtney Fortson is going to be a stud just watch.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Brass Knob

This has been the rap on us for a couple of years now..... Great athletes surrounded by only one or two true basketball players.....

jj202020

Good ball handlers and shooters are becoming very difficult to find these days.  Reminds me of trying to find a big man in years past.

The problem is AAU ball.  Kids there concentrate on one thing: scoring.  This takes away from defense, which takes away the necessity of good ball handling.  We need ALOT of good AAU coaches to teach good defense.  Over time, ball handling would HAVE to be emphasized and, in turn, would get better.  Good defense always requires the opposing offenses to shoot the ball very well, or get blown out.

Right now, the emphasis in AAU is speed, athleticism, and making lay-ups/dunks.  Nothing wrong with any of that, but the fundamentals tend to become secondary, so the overall quality of the game goes down.....at least for us purists.