Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year's basketball lineup

Started by swinesation, December 19, 2007, 10:43:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

Here's my guess at next year's basketball lineup. I'm still excited about this year, but I'm more excited about next year, when Pelphrey's style of play will finally be fully implemented with his type of players!

2008-09 Hogs Basketball Team

Starter                         Second team                      Third Team

PG   Courtney Fortson (Fr)      Stefan Welsh (Jr)           Terrance Joyner (Fr)
SG   Patrick Beverley (Jr)        Rotnei Clarke (Fr)           Marcus Britt (So)
SF/SG    Daniel Payne (Jr)      Levan Patsatsia (So)        Nate Rakestraw (So)
PF   Michael Sanchez (Fr)      Brandon Moore (Fr)
C   Michael Washington (Jr)   Andre Clark (Fr)

For those of you from NW Arkansas who have your hearts set on Rakestraw being big time, I'm sorry, but I just don't see it.

What about you? What is your guess at next year's lineup?

Spider-Pig

Does anybody else think its funny that this year we have a lot of seniors and next year we won't have one senior.

swinesation

However, there is a chance that next year will be Washington and/or Beverley's last year.

Beaverfever

Quote from: swinesation on December 19, 2007, 11:06:38 am
However, there is a chance that next year will be Washington and/or Beverley's last year.
Washington...maaaayyyybee.  I honestly don't see anyway beverly ever gets drafted, maybe if he was moved to pg and played well there.  No way as a shooting guard.

afielde11

sanchez starting seems like a stretch

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 19, 2007, 11:33:57 am
Washington...maaaayyyybee.  I honestly don't see anyway beverly ever gets drafted, maybe if he was moved to pg and played well there.  No way as a shooting guard.
Beverly has been quoted as saying he will play 4 years.  I cant find the link, but it was in a newspaper article earlier this season.  Washington is a stud, I imagine he will have a huge decision to make after next season.

zebra

I am definately not sold on Sanchez being a D1 post player

The_Bionic_Pig

I will be shocked if Coach Pel sticked to a starting 5 with all the talent at the Guard positions.   Next year will be the year of whole sale substitutions (5) at a time to truly run teams into the ground. He can't do that yet because a lot of our Freshmen need redshirting.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

swinesation

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on December 19, 2007, 12:46:25 pm
I will be shocked if Coach Pel sticked to a starting 5 with all the talent at the Guard positions.   Next year will be the year of whole sale substitutions (5) at a time to truly run teams into the ground. He can't do that yet because a lot of our Freshmen need redshirting.

I agree. Won't it be sweet? Just like the old days! Bring on 40 minutes of Pell!

coach, my back hurts

I think Moore or Clark will get alot of minutes at the PF/C spots.  One make take the starting job.  I think Rotnei will get alot of PT at the guard spot.  Will have more quality depth next yr than we will this yr.

3 or 4 good PG's......Welsh, Fortson, Britt, Joyner, and maybe Clarke

4 or 5 SG's.....some are interchangable with the PG spot, but we'll have Beverly, Welsh, Payne, Rake, Patsa, Clarke

SF/PF......Payne, Sanchez, Washington, Patsa ?, Clark, Moore

Doesnt look like we'll have a "true" center.

We should be able to run any player in there at anytime and not really lose too much.  Of course time will tell who will be good and who will be avg.

Breems

Quote from: swinesation on December 19, 2007, 10:43:10 am
Here's my guess at next year's basketball lineup. I'm still excited about this year, but I'm more excited about next year, when Pelphrey's style of play will finally be fully implemented with his type of players!

Starter                         Second team                      Third Team

PG   Courtney Fortson (Fr)      Stefan Welsh (Jr)           Terrance Joyner (Fr)
SG   Patrick Beverley (Jr)        Rotnei Clarke (Fr)           Marcus Britt (So)

For those of you from NW Arkansas who have your hearts set on Rakestraw being big time, I'm sorry, but I just don't see it.

I thought Clarke would be a starter.  Don't think Sanchez will be.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

johogs001

Quote from: HogZ28 on December 19, 2007, 11:51:26 am
i wish they'd pick up one more big man....

Maybe if someone leaves, but even this team with all the bigs we have still plays better in this system with 3 guards many times. Maybe we don't need another big.

Porkatarian

Quote from: afielde11 on December 19, 2007, 11:38:54 am
sanchez starting seems like a stretch

Would you rather start one of our 2 true freshmen post players instead?

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Breems

Quote from: razrhog05 on December 19, 2007, 11:42:11 am
Washington is a stud, I imagine he will have a huge decision to make after next season.

Think about what he'll be facing in the NBA.  There are players much bigger, stronger, and more talented.  He's a great college player so far but I think he'll need all or at least 3 of his years.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

pfrg999

Quote from: HogZ28 on December 19, 2007, 11:00:54 am
yeah that is kind of funny and shows how bad Heath overloaded one class....

We had that during one or two of the Nolan years
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

pfrg999

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on December 19, 2007, 03:16:48 pm
I think Moore or Clark will get alot of minutes at the PF/C spots.  One make take the starting job.  I think Rotnei will get alot of PT at the guard spot.  Will have more quality depth next yr than we will this yr.

3 or 4 good PG's......Welsh, Fortson, Britt, Joyner, and maybe Clarke

4 or 5 SG's.....some are interchangable with the PG spot, but we'll have Beverly, Welsh, Payne, Rake, Patsa, Clarke

SF/PF......Payne, Sanchez, Washington, Patsa ?, Clark, Moore

Doesnt look like we'll have a "true" center.

We should be able to run any player in there at anytime and not really lose too much.  Of course time will tell who will be good and who will be avg.

Lokes like a lineup during the Nolan years... Lotsa Guards, and Forwards but no true centers... Well Unless you count Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

jspang727

britt will start alot of games...if just for defense

afielde11

Quote from: Porkatarian on December 20, 2007, 01:26:06 pm
Would you rather start one of our 2 true freshmen post players instead?

Porkatarian out...

i haven't seen any of the freshman play yet, but i wouldn't be against it if they turn out to be better

mountainhog

I have to agree with you about rakestraw, He might be a step slow for the sec.  hope im wrong though.

Starter                         Second team                      Third Team

PG   Courtney Fortson (Fr)      Stefan Welsh (Jr)           Terrance Joyner (Fr)
SG   Patrick Beverley (Jr)        Rotnei Clarke (Fr)           Marcus Britt (So)

[/quote]

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pfrg999 on December 20, 2007, 02:44:02 pm

Lokes like a lineup during the Nolan years... Lotsa Guards, and Forwards but no true centers... Well Unless you count Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson....

I'd be thrilled to have Darnell Robinson next year. He was a goofball his freshman and sophomore year, but he was a real threat his junior year before being a 2nd round draft pick.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogfan33

Quote from: HogZ28 on December 19, 2007, 11:00:54 am
yeah that is kind of funny and shows how bad Heath overloaded one class....
The whole jr. class transfered, it wasnt that Heath overloaded this senior one... hunter redshirted, ervin transfered, and weems is from juco... I dont think townes, hill and thomas is an overload

mbgrulz

i think clarke will outshine sanchez.

we will have to part ways with a few guys in order to sign 2-4 of pel's guys for 2009. guys like shawne williams and company are very important to our future.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: swinesation on December 19, 2007, 10:43:10 am

Good list - IMO, if Joyner is eligible and it appears he likely will, I'd look for him to be a big part of a three guard attack.

Starter                         Second team                      Third Team

PG   Courtney Fortson (Fr)      Stefan Welsh (Jr)           Terrance Joyner (Fr)
SG   Patrick Beverley (Jr)        Rotnei Clarke (Fr)           Marcus Britt (So)

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

yraciv

Rake over Patsa, but I can see Patsa and Britt leaving along w/ Joiner never making it.

mbgrulz

Quote from: yraciv on December 20, 2007, 10:43:06 pm
Rake over Patsa, but I can see Patsa and Britt leaving along w/ Joiner never making it.
i could see the possibility of 1 of those 4 players here next year. 2 at the most. i am sold on rake not being able to do it. i don't know bout patsa, but he is obviously behind rake in the coach's minds. i want to see more of britt. he has looked at least serviceable so far. joyner is more likely TO make it than not from what i hear.

no doubt pel will have to make some tough calls after this season. he will have to ask himself whether he thinks signing younger, more highly rated players that he is on, or keep around some guys who have yet to prove theirselves and look to be sub par for SEC level. its an easy question in terms of basketball, but a tough one in terms of  how to do it so that it doesn't hurt the kids. Here is where your connections to coaches from mid-majors and D2 schools come in.

Hogtropolis™

I wouldn't be surprised next year to see very small lineups on the court.

Something like

Fortson
Clarke
Bev
Payne
Washington