Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I expressed my doubts early about this team....

Started by rude1, December 16, 2007, 03:09:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

when  Pelphrey was named coach and everyone was hyped about going to the uptempo style, I expressed my reservations about any attempt to speed this team up, which already had a propensity for turning over the basketball playing at a slower tempo. My worst fears have been realized, the speeding them up has only served to speed up the rate at which they cough up the basketball, and there doesn't appear to be any relief in sight. Nobody wants to hear it, but the talent level on this team IMHO has been greatly exaggerated from the very beginning. I hope Pelphrey is the one who can lead this program back to its glory, but at this point, with the recruiting class he is putting together, I don't see the type of talent thats going to see this program ranked in the top fifteen at any point. Now if he can win with them, then I will be thrilled, but when you dont get at least one or two guys in that that top 25 area to build your program around, unless you get a real sleeper, it's going to be difficult to take that kind of talent and beat the better teams.

LordStanleysHog

the season is early... did anyone expect a flawless transition? Wait until SEC play starts then we'll see what he's really got...

NateMan

Quote from: rude1 on December 16, 2007, 03:09:47 pm
when  Pelphrey was named coach and everyone was hyped about going to the uptempo style, I expressed my reservations about any attempt to speed this team up, which already had a propensity for turning over the basketball playing at a slower tempo. My worst fears have been realized, the speeding them up has only served to speed up the rate at which they cough up the basketball, and there doesn't appear to be any relief in sight.

Looks like they had only 10 turnovers yesterday, so that seems to have improved (at least for one game).  Now if they could only make a few outside shots...

Pignominious

when  Pelphrey was named coach and everyone was hyped about going to the uptempo style, I expressed my reservations about any attempt to speed this team up, which already had a propensity for turning over the basketball playing at a slower tempo. My worst fears have been realized, the speeding them up has only served to speed up the rate at which they cough up the basketball, and there doesn't appear to be any relief in sight. Nobody wants to hear it, but the talent level on this team IMHO has been greatly exaggerated from the very beginning. I hope Pelphrey is the one who can lead this program back to its glory, but at this point, with the recruiting class he is putting together, I don't see the type of talent thats going to see this program ranked in the top fifteen at any point. Now if he can win with them, then I will be thrilled, but when you dont get at least one or two guys in that that top 25 area to build your program around, unless you get a real sleeper, it's going to be difficult to take that kind of talent and beat the better teams.

I agree with you until recruiting.  Did you sleep through the early signing period?  We've got some talented guys coming in, look it up.  I wouldn't make to many assumtions this early on.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

chiefsfan

I think you took a nap during the early signing period.   We have the #6 rated class in the country coming in next year...

I really dont think you need one top 25 player to build your team around.  That one big player you sign is likely gone pro after 1 year...so unless you plan on winning a National Title that year, its useless
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

TorsinAHog

Did you watch the game or pay attention to the early recruiting period?  They had 10 turnovers. Granted most seemed to be their point guard but there was only 10 on the road against a decent team. Also he had a good early recruiting period. He got what we needed...point guards, shooters,  and ball handlers.  Coach Pel is coaching a team that has never been able to win on the road.  Im not sold that they will be able to. You can blame that on Heath, Pel,  the cashier at Harps, etc.  It may be harder to instill a wining road attitude in this group. 
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

rude1

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on December 16, 2007, 04:49:54 pm
I agree with you until recruiting.  Did you sleep through the early signing period?  We've got some talented guys coming in, look it up.  I wouldn't make to many assumtions this early on.
Yes I have seen the players recruited, and I am not impressed. Nobody in the top 25, the highest rated player recruited is at no. 59, the small point guard Fortson. I am sorry, this is not the type of talent thats going to lead this program back to an elite status.

Swinelander

Quote from: rude1 on December 17, 2007, 08:35:43 pm
Yes I have seen the players recruited, and I am not impressed. Nobody in the top 25, the highest rated player recruited is at no. 59, the small point guard Fortson. I am sorry, this is not the type of talent thats going to lead this program back to an elite status.

I would wait until the end of the rating period to make any major diagnosis.  Pbev wasn't even in the top 150 until april of '06.  Pel's only been on the job for 8 months. The fact that he managed to recruit and sign 6 guys in such a short period a think speaks volumes on his behalf.

yocdaddy

rude1, you are a ball of negativity.  We got beat by a team that played over its' head at home.  They hit at least 6 highly contested 3-pt shots, and they all seemed to be at a crucial juncture in the game.  We actually showed more fortitude than at any time under Heath, by not folding up shop early in the game and early in the second half.  News flash for you, we aren't going to go undefeated.  In fact, no one team in the country will go undefeated in Division I.  We had 10 turnovers for the game, which is an improvement, especially for a road game.  I agree that the talent on this team has been unrealistically inflated ever since they got on campus, but I don't think that we are a bunch of doughbellies either. 

The worst thing that the fans can do is set unrealistic expectations of a team that simply cannot attain those goals.  Then the fans spend their time griping and complaining about why they aren't winning.  Eventually, that griping turns to the coaching staff, and it becomes a real circus.  IMHO, the common fan doesn't know near as much as they think they do. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

rude1

Quote from: yocdaddy on December 17, 2007, 08:52:57 pm
rude1, you are a ball of negativity.  We got beat by a team that played over its' head at home.  They hit at least 6 highly contested 3-pt shots, and they all seemed to be at a crucial juncture in the game.  We actually showed more fortitude than at any time under Heath, by not folding up shop early in the game and early in the second half.  News flash for you, we aren't going to go undefeated.  In fact, no one team in the country will go undefeated in Division I.  We had 10 turnovers for the game, which is an improvement, especially for a road game.  I agree that the talent on this team has been unrealistically inflated ever since they got on campus, but I don't think that we are a bunch of doughbellies either. 

The worst thing that the fans can do is set unrealistic expectations of a team that simply cannot attain those goals.  Then the fans spend their time griping and complaining about why they aren't winning.  Eventually, that griping turns to the coaching staff, and it becomes a real circus.  IMHO, the common fan doesn't know near as much as they think they do. 
I have seen this before out of this team. Weak non-conference schedule, winning the easy and home games, losing the road, and challenging games. If this movie continues, now we get to the conference part. This is where they fumble, bumble, and stumble around to  around .500 conference record, and must play their way off the bubble at the end of the season.

rude1

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 16, 2007, 05:04:01 pm
I think you took a nap during the early signing period.   We have the #6 rated class in the country coming in next year...

I really dont think you need one top 25 player to build your team around.  That one big player you sign is likely gone pro after 1 year...so unless you plan on winning a National Title that year, its useless
I can't believe how many people are drinking the koolaid on this recruiting class. Its not rated #6, it's rated #14, and the problem is, there isn't an elite player in the bunch, unless one of those guys turns out to be an incredible sleeper. Folks it's no coincidence that when we were winning conference titles, and making final four appearances, we were bringing in Mcdonald all americans. The two best players in this class are ranked #59 & #82, both are small quards who aren't the types that are going to be able to carry a team.

Fatty McGee

They didn't have a point guard last year, and they don't have one this year.  This faster pace does mask some of the resulting halfcourt difficulties, but really, the problem Saturday was shooting.  We got 14 more shots than OU, and didn't make 'em.

The talent is there except for at one position.  Unfortunately, it's the hardest one to mask in the halfcourt.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Sow’sEar

Quote from: rude1 on December 17, 2007, 09:39:06 pm
I can't believe how many people are drinking the koolaid on this recruiting class. Its not rated #6, it's rated #14, and the problem is, there isn't an elite player in the bunch, unless one of those guys turns out to be an incredible sleeper. Folks it's no coincidence that when we were winning conference titles, and making final four appearances, we were bringing in Mcdonald all americans. The two best players in this class are ranked #59 & #82, both are small quards who aren't the types that are going to be able to carry a team.
one major pub. rated it #6.

rude1

Quote from: Lulu Hog on December 17, 2007, 09:52:14 pm
one major pub. rated it #6.
What pub is that? I have seen none where this class gets a #6.

Sow’sEar

hawgsav1

I don't think that these guys lack talent.  They actually have a lot of it in my opinion actually.  They're just not used to playing up-tempo ball.  It's a matter of transition. VERY FEW coaches (I could probably count them on one hand) come in and succeed with a basketball team early.  Look at Ben Howland at UCLA.  His first season, they went 9-19 but they turned it around immensely right afterwards and now UCLA basketball is back.  Give Pelphrey a few years before you jump on the  bandwagon.  I have my doubts about this year, but next year I think we'll be rolling.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Pignominious

Ray Biggers' third cousin.

chiefsfan

Quote from: rude1 on December 17, 2007, 09:39:06 pm

ESPN had this class at 6

Out of the top 25 recruits listed in college basketball...only 3 of them are uncommited.   Almost everyone else on the list commited to schools well before even the early signing list.   Out of the 3 players unrecruited, Only one is located within 1,000 miles of the Fayetville campus.  He is out of Kentucky, and is considering nearby Louisville and Cincy

You have to know how recruiting works, you can call all of the rivals top 25  and offer all of them if you want, but it costs your program money out of whatever budget you have  (Limited Budget)  and the odds are likely that unless you are Duke, they aint listening if you arent within a reasonable distance of where they went to high school

Only 3 of the top 25 are even going to an SEC school, and with the exception of a Kentucky commit, all are either instate prospects or live close by to the campus they are attending.

None of the top 25 is out of Arkansas. Only 3 come from a bordering state.     we can drive up to New Jersey on a wild goose chase if we like.  But that costs alot of money out of the budget when we could be spending it on a top 3 or 4 star player located within 30 miles of campus

The odds of signing a 5 star coming out of a program like Arkansas is slim to none.  We are not a basketball power right now.  And the only way a 5 star would even consider playing here is if they are born in the state.    We must build the program up with the upcoming classes in order to even have a chance at sniffing a 5 star
At the same time.

BTW we had 3 signees in the Rivals Top 150.  2 of which  (Clark Fortson) are 4  star commits.

Rivals has us 3rd in the SEC in recruiting this year, behind Florida and Bama, both of which nabbed instate 5 stars this year
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

TulsaJack32

Was it the 3rd or 4th year Richardson got Mayberry-Day-Miller?  Give it time.  Pel will get in the door and bring in the recruits. 

Beaverfever

Amazing that stan recruited an entire team with no good shooters on it.

40MINSOFHELL

rude1 is u feel this way, maybe you should become a mempiss fan....where u play in conference usa and then get your heart broken in the ncaa tourney because you havent played a decent team since december lol

Baconator

It's way too early to be a Pelphrey darksider.

swinesation

I agree in part with the rude1. I believe this team will struggle to play Pelphrey ball this season, and will have limited results. Probably make it to the tournament and win one game.

Also, it is true that we didn't get any "premier" players in our recruiting class. However, I don't feel it is necessary to get "premier/ Top 25" players to win big. Nolan got very few of these type players (others can say how many. I think Corliss was, and maybe Day). Nolan got his type players to play his type ball and it was an awesome sight to behold: 40 Minutes of Hell! I believe Pelphrey has done the same thing with this last recruiting class. He has gotten his type of players to play his type of ball. And it is going to be fun to watch!!!!

Beaverfever

Quote from: swinesation on December 19, 2007, 11:05:05 am
I agree in part with the rude1. I believe this team will struggle to play Pelphrey ball this season, and will have limited results. Probably make it to the tournament and win one game.

Also, it is true that we didn't get any "premier" players in our recruiting class. However, I don't feel it is necessary to get "premier/ Top 25" players to win big. Nolan got very few of these type players (others can say how many. I think Corliss was, and maybe Day). Nolan got his type players to play his type ball and it was an awesome sight to behold: 40 Minutes of Hell! I believe Pelphrey has done the same thing with this last recruiting class. He has gotten his type of players to play his type of ball. And it is going to be fun to watch!!!!
I'm pretty sure the early-mid 90's classes were top 5 classes.  Talent is neccessary to win.

The_Bionic_Pig

So what do you think our Win/Loss Record would have been if Coach Gillispie would have honored his first agreement rude?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

spudhog

so your saying we were better off last year? cause we only lost to mizzou by 20 last year. you think our record is not going to improve this season?

no, we aren't nc contenders but we have a good team. pel has already made an impact on these guys and the class he's bringing in isn't too shabby.

if you want to jump off the bandwagon fine, i'll stick with pel and what he's doing to make our team better.

swinesation

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 19, 2007, 11:35:50 am
I'm pretty sure the early-mid 90's classes were top 5 classes.  Talent is neccessary to win.

The only Top 25/ Premier players I can think of from the 90's are Corliss Williamson and Todd Day. I'm not sure how high Scotty was ranked. I don't think Nolan ever had a string of top 5 classes.

Razorod

You guys are misreading Rude1's post. All he is saying is that this team is not all that good and by speeding them up as Pel wants to do only makes them more likely to gush turnovers, not less likely.

He's not bashing Pel, nor is he anointing him the savior of Razorback bb. Next year's team may be better, but still not an elite team (elite as in Top 10 with a realistic shot at Final Four).

And if you think Rude is a Heath fan or wanting to go back to Heath, you should have read his comments on Pigpen the past 3-4 years. He is not a Heath fan by any stretch of the imagination.

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

tolerati

I agree that it is unlikely that Arkansas will return to the Final Four next year but we can make improvements each year. If that happens, we will be back in the Final Four before too long. I think Pelphrey will do fine. He is hungry and he wants to win a national championship.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

40MINSOFHELL

2009-2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS-ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS AND THEN WE NAME THE COURT AFTER PELPHREY :D

spudhog

Quote from: Razorod on December 19, 2007, 03:53:50 pm
You guys are misreading Rude1's post. All he is saying is that this team is not all that good and by speeding them up as Pel wants to do only makes them more likely to gush turnovers, not less likely.

He's not bashing Pel, nor is he anointing him the savior of Razorback bb. Next year's team may be better, but still not an elite team (elite as in Top 10 with a realistic shot at Final Four).

And if you think Rude is a Heath fan or wanting to go back to Heath, you should have read his comments on Pigpen the past 3-4 years. He is not a Heath fan by any stretch of the imagination.

fair points but when we were "playing slow", we were turning the ball just as much.

if you go into a game saying we are going to have 20 to's. wouldn't much rather have 80-90 possessions than 60-70?

we tried the slow down thing, it didn't work. we lose one game and everybody is flippin out.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 19, 2007, 11:35:50 am

And much of that talent was Arkansas, Memphis and Tulsa with a sprinkling of Texas, etc.  That was as much luck as anything else.  Corlisses and Joe Johnsons don't come along every day.  So you get the best available, coach them up, win, and then get the bigger fish to come swim in your pond.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

jgphillips3

A program that is trying to grow toward a national championship needs to have NOBODY from the top 25 nationally.  Those are the guys who typically leave after one or two years to go pro.  You need a whole lot of guys from 25-150 nationally.  These are the guys who are great, but will stay at least 3 or 4 years.  You need to stock up on these guys and then pull a top 10 pick or two in a given year to make your run at that national title game.

hawaiianhogster

I give him three years to prove what he can do.

rude1

December 20, 2007, 12:36:37 am #34 Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:59:26 am by rude1
Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on December 19, 2007, 03:18:03 am
rude1 is u feel this way, maybe you should become a mempiss fan....where u play in conference usa and then get your heart broken in the ncaa tourney because you havent played a decent team since december lol
I don't know if you have kept up with current affairs but, Memphis has a much better program than we currently do, we have gone to the big dance a grand total of 2 times in the last 6 years, and those 2 appearances were one and done visits.

chiefsfan

Quote from: rude1 on December 20, 2007, 12:36:37 am
I don't know if you have kept up with current affairs but, Memphis has a much better program than we currently do, we have gone to the big dance a grand total of 2 time in the last 6 years, and those 2 appearances were one and done visits.

Memphis has a better program because the National media has made them a better program.   They could very easily go undefeated this season and still manage to lose in the first couple rounds of the NCAA's just because CUSA is so weak in basketball.   They are beatable this year...but you have to be able to score

rude1

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 20, 2007, 12:40:18 am
Memphis has a better program because the National media has made them a better program.   They could very easily go undefeated this season and still manage to lose in the first couple rounds of the NCAA's just because CUSA is so weak in basketball.   They are beatable this year...but you have to be able to score
Memphis is a better program because they have better players. We are no where near the level they are currently at. I am not bailing on Pelphrey, I am simply saying, that I am  not convinced at this point. Just because a guy says all the right things, doesn't mean he is going to be able to get it done. He certainly hasn't done anything in his past coaching history to make me believe he is a shoe in to take this program back to the top.

donkey

December 20, 2007, 01:13:28 am #37 Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:15:48 am by donkey
I could find about 5000 Kentucky fans that would be happy to take Pel off our hands for us.  I remember our last team that had Mcdonalds AAs on it, as well as the mastermind who assembled it.  His name, I think, was Stan Heath.  He had Olu Famutimi, Al Jefferson, and I think Ronnie Brewer may have been an alternate, (That's three in 2 recruiting classes).  Best I remember, we didn't even make it past the first round with all that talent.  How is Oklahoma State doing with James Anderson in what is likely to be his only college season?  Now, how many Mcdonalds AAs were on the Florida squad that just won back to back NCAA championships?  I think Brewer may have been an alternate.  Like I say, if you want to get rid of Pel, there is one of the best Bball schools in the world that would love to have him right now. 

40MINSOFHELL

no way we get rid of Pelphrey, please get rid of this thread

razorbackfan4life

It's simple as this

Pelphrey is > than Heath

have you watched a game this year..  He does the best with what he has...

Sure we're not the best team in the world, but he's trying to make them the best they can possibly be..  Things will change for the good in due time.

VenturaHog

I think you are overstating the obvious Rude, he is unproven, no duh, we havn't even hit league play yet in his first season ever. Our team does not quite fit his style I will grant you that, but they are playing their hearts out and showing flashes of great things to come.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: donkey on December 20, 2007, 01:13:28 am
I could find about 5000 Kentucky fans that would be happy to take Pel off our hands for us.  I remember our last team that had Mcdonalds AAs on it, as well as the mastermind who assembled it.  His name, I think, was Stan Heath.  He had Olu Famutimi, Al Jefferson, and I think Ronnie Brewer may have been an alternate, (That's three in 2 recruiting classes).  Best I remember, we didn't even make it past the first round with all that talent.  How is Oklahoma State doing with James Anderson in what is likely to be his only college season?  Now, how many Mcdonalds AAs were on the Florida squad that just won back to back NCAA championships?  I think Brewer may have been an alternate.  Like I say, if you want to get rid of Pel, there is one of the best Bball schools in the world that would love to have him right now. 

Ummm, al jefferson never played a college game.  He committed to the hogs then went pro.  We would have killed if he would have come. 

donkey

I realize that Al Jefferson never played.  I was making a point that if you have a great recruiting class, that doesn't guarantee wins.  For instance, if Jefferson had played, he would have only played one year.  We probably would have made the tournament, but not went that far.  Look at OSU tonight, they have a couple of McD AAs on that squad and ORU is taking them behind the woodshed.  Pel understands that its cohesiveness first and raw talent second when recruiting.  Few people get that, and that will make him successful IMO.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: donkey on December 20, 2007, 08:54:00 pm
I realize that Al Jefferson never played.  I was making a point that if you have a great recruiting class, that doesn't guarantee wins.  For instance, if Jefferson had played, he would have only played one year.  We probably would have made the tournament, but not went that far.  Look at OSU tonight, they have a couple of McD AAs on that squad and ORU is taking them behind the woodshed.  Pel understands that its cohesiveness first and raw talent second when recruiting.  Few people get that, and that will make him successful IMO.
It is hard to be cohesive if you go straight to the pros, that's true.  I hear ya.  I hear ya, but I think we would have gotten past the first round if we had had Al even for just one year. 

for the record, I am loving pel and everything he's doing. 

slopinhogs

THE GUYS ARE PLAYIng pretty good now but they will get better as the seasoin wears on. yes they are turning the ball over 24 times but getting 24 to's nulls that out we need to improve our free throw shooting a little and stop making hurried dumb passes. all of this can be corrected and the guys know they are doing it.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Styflin

Rude isn't serious....he is just needing some attention ;)

jims850

agree with your thought process but Pel Ball is so much fun to watch that, as a fan, I am more than willing to give him time to prove that he can bring the talent level up to where it needs to be.  I think that he will be able to do that as he builds a reputation on a much larger stage than South Alabama for coaching an exciting brand of basketball.