Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chicago

Started by hogfan870, October 16, 2014, 11:31:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan870

Mostly looking for resturant recommendations.

Have a conference next week.  Taking wife.  Should have a decent amount of free time, so any recommendations would be appreciated. 

kingofdequeen

Buddy Guy's Legends.

Chicago Firehouse for at least one meal.  Best service i've ever had ever.  Steaks are prime as hell.

vandybuff

In what part of the city are you staying / do you wish to visit?
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

cosmodrum

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 16, 2014, 11:35:09 am
Buddy Guy's Legends.

Chicago Firehouse for at least one meal.  Best service i've ever had ever.  Steaks are prime as hell.

Buddy Guy's for entertainment, but TGIFriday's has better food.

Gibson's Steakhouse
Lou Malnati's pizza
The Publican for breakfast (best bacon I've ever had and it's not close)
Go away, batin'

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: vandybuff on October 16, 2014, 04:03:10 pm

What are you interested in trying? Give me the range of types of food you want to try or get the best "x", what you want to spend $$$ and what part($) of town that you and your Wife want to explore and I will hook you up.

I work in the Film/TV/Commercial World and take Clients to some very special places... Would like to extend the courtesy to fellow Razorback Fans and hope that you have a GREAT experience with your Wife.  :razorback:

vandybuff

I think Zen and I are talking with each other thinking we are helping 870.

So - 870 - try these - and let me limit myself to Italian -- some good italian in Chicago:

Downtown:  Rosebuds on Rush

Downtown lunch:  Bon Vino .... dumpy little place but good food.

West side:  Sepia

North side:  Mia Francesca

have a fun trip.

cosmodrum

Berghoff for lunch. Really solid German food, brew their own beer. Get the potato salad and onion soup. And the jäger schnitzel.

If you REALLY want to eat well, and not afraid of spending some money, go to Spiaggia. Voted best Italian restaurant in the country.
Go away, batin'

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 16, 2014, 04:04:46 pm
Buddy Guy's for entertainment, but TGIFriday's has better food.

kiss my balls.  ain't never had anything at BG's but old style's any how.

chicago firehouse.  ribeye.  blue.  best bourbon you can afford. 

DLUXHOG

Bandera.... 2nd level on Michigan Ave...  Usually has a live jazz piano player or live jazz group....  Your wife will LOVE the setting and ambience.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

vandybuff

Oh, forgot this earlier  --- 'touristy', but fun

http://www.signatureroom.com

cosmodrum

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 16, 2014, 09:29:56 pm
kiss my balls.  ain't never had anything at BG's but old style's any how.

chicago firehouse.  ribeye.  blue.  best bourbon you can afford. 

Don't doubt firehouse. And I love Buddy's. Somebody's bought him a cognac and he got up and sang. Just a blues legend in a ball cap hanging out at his own bar.

Y'ain't there for the food.
Go away, batin'

hogfan870

Quote from: vandybuff on October 16, 2014, 04:03:10 pm

We are staying downtown.  Hyatt Regency Chicago. 

hogfan870

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on October 16, 2014, 04:15:57 pm
What are you interested in trying? Give me the range of types of food you want to try or get the best "x", what you want to spend $$$ and what part($) of town that you and your Wife want to explore and I will hook you up.

I work in the Film/TV/Commercial World and take Clients to some very special places... Would like to extend the courtesy to fellow Razorback Fans and hope that you have a GREAT experience with your Wife.  :razorback:

Well I know we want some deep dish pizza, but beyond that, don't really have any plans.  Don't really care about $, as much as just the best places.  (Though I don't think we will go to alinea, and couldn't get in to the girl and the goat.)

DLUXHOG

"pump room" at the Omni ambassordor East....  Humphrey Bogart, etc. used to hang out their in the 40's.    There are photos of him and his ilk throughout the club/restaurant.......

pigture perfect

Michigan ave. has lots of choices. Some are pretty expensive, but if you are the company account go for it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

vandybuff

Quote from: hogfan870 on October 17, 2014, 04:39:02 pm
We are staying downtown.  Hyatt Regency Chicago. 
Looks as if the food choices are covered - but there are many good restaurants along Michigan. 
The Atrium Mall and 900 North Michigan Shoppes will be a good place for you both to shop.  Basically a mile up Michigan Avenue. 
Also -- going east and south of your hotel -- Shedd Aquarium and Navy Pier are enjoyable.
have fun!!!!!

cosmodrum

October 17, 2014, 06:34:38 pm #17 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:39:26 am by cosmodrum
Al's #1 Beef or Mr. Beef for an Italian beef sammich.
Go away, batin'

Horsesrus

Giordano's is my choice for Chicago pizza.  There is a location very close (about 2 blocks) to the Hyatt at 135 E Lake St.

Jackrabbit Hog

The Athenian Room for great authentic Greek food.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The Marmot

Chicago Chophouse for a nice meal. The Italian Village is also very good.

Ginos East has good pie.

Millers Pub and The Redhead Piano Bar for late night.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The Marmot on October 21, 2014, 08:24:31 am
Millers Pub and The Redhead Piano Bar for late night.

Tough to beat the Zebra Lounge.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The Marmot

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 21, 2014, 09:46:54 am
Tough to beat the Zebra Lounge.

Never been there. It will be on my list.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

ricepig

There used to be an Italian restaurant started with an "S", it was really good, but even with a reservation you waited 45 minutes. Anyone remember?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The Marmot on October 21, 2014, 10:17:35 am
Never been there. It will be on my list.

Hope it's still open.  I was there a couple of times in the mid '90s and it was like something straight out of the Sinatra/Martin scene.  If you were cool, you had to be seen there.

One of my other favorite hangouts has closed, I was told recently.  The Wild Hare, a reggae bar about 3 blocks from Wrigley Field, was another happening place for years.  A friend who was there earlier this year told me it closed.  Sad, sad day.

The_Hog_Father

October 21, 2014, 11:55:59 am #25 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:23:33 pm by Pigs in Zen
I sent the gentleman a pm but here were just a few selects:

Deep Dish: Pequod's on Clybourn and Webster. The others don't
come close. The caramelized cheese crust and top notch ingredients
make this spot a big time Chicago fave.

Italian: Fillipo's which is right by Pequod's on Clybourn. Pound for pound
the very best Italian food in Chicago. I have been to way more
expensive places and not had anything that was as close to being as good
as Fillipo's. Everything is freshly made, not from a can. Try the ravioli annarella,
The risotto with smoked ham, peas and asparagus, the grilled salmon with veg and
butter/white wine sauce on the side is incredible. Ask for Victor... And save room
for homemade, chilled limoncello.

Sushi/Steak:Roka Akor. This is one of the best places for sushi in the States. And the
A5 Wagyu beef will melt in your mouth. This place is insane. Seriously... Another level.

I take clients to these three places all the time if that is what they are in the mood for
and everyone is always happy. I have other spots, but these are some of my faves.

But please... A moment of silence for "Hot Doug's" that recently closed it's doors on
a high note. Doug is taking a break then off to pursue something else... He will be sorely
missed.

http://www.rokaakor.com/

http://www.filipposchicago.com/

http://pequodspizza.com/

DLUXHOG

Don't forget the "Billy Goat Tavern", for a little nostalgia...

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 21, 2014, 12:56:11 pm

Haha... It's great to walk through the one on Wells for the nostalgia then walk across the street to Pogue Mahone's for a GREAT Grassfed Burger and drinks. Monday Burger Specials are awesome!

Next time you are in Chicago DLUXHOG and I am not booked, let's go!  :razorback:

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: ricepig on October 21, 2014, 10:30:52 am
There used to be an Italian restaurant started with an "S", it was really good, but even with a reservation you waited 45 minutes. Anyone remember?

I know it doesn't start with an "S" but were you thinking of "Piccolo Sogno"?

pigture perfect

I have a friend who operates a fishing service on Lake Michigan. During the off There are several guides who do this. It's pretty neat if you're into that kind of stuff.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cosmodrum

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 21, 2014, 12:56:11 pm

And a damn good double cheeseburger to soak up the booze.
Go away, batin'

john c

We always eat at Weber Grill at least once.  Uno's Pizza for the nostalgia.  Will be there next week.

cosmodrum

Quote from: john c on October 21, 2014, 08:26:33 pm
We always eat at Weber Grill at least once.  Uno's Pizza for the nostalgia.  Will be there next week.

Love Uno's. The original.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on October 21, 2014, 11:55:59 am
But please... A moment of silence for "Hot Doug's" that recently closed it's doors on
a high note. Doug is taking a break then off to pursue something else... He will be sorely
missed.

I went for the first (and last) time in July.  My wife and I waited almost four hours in line for a hot dog.

Well, we ended up getting like 4 apiece.  If I'm waiting that long for a hot dog, I'm trying as many as I can stomach.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 21, 2014, 05:59:51 pm
And a damn good double cheeseburger to soak up the booze.

One of my favorite burgers ever.  Simple and delicious.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on October 21, 2014, 11:55:59 am
I sent the gentleman a pm but here were just a few selects:

Deep Dish: Pequod's on Clybourn and Webster. The others don't
come close. The caramelized cheese crust and top notch ingredients
make this spot a big time Chicago fave.

Italian: Fillipo's which is right by Pequod's on Clybourn. Pound for pound
the very best Italian food in Chicago. I have been to way more
expensive places and not had anything that was as close to being as good
as Fillipo's. Everything is freshly made, not from a can. Try the ravioli annarella,
The risotto with smoked ham, peas and asparagus, the grilled salmon with veg and
butter/white wine sauce on the side is incredible. Ask for Victor... And save room
for homemade, chilled limoncello.

Sushi/Steak:Roka Akor. This is one of the best places for sushi in the States. And the
A5 Wagyu beef will melt in your mouth. This place is insane. Seriously... Another level.

I take clients to these three places all the time if that is what they are in the mood for
and everyone is always happy. I have other spots, but these are some of my faves.

missed.

http://www.rokaakor.com/

http://www.filipposchicago.com/

http://pequodspizza.com/

I have got to try Burt's or Pequod's. Looks insanely good.
Go away, batin'