Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belize

Started by cbhawg03, September 25, 2013, 12:24:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cbhawg03

Anybody here ever been?

What city did you fly into? What city did you stay in? Resort?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: cbrooks03 on September 25, 2013, 12:24:07 pm
Anybody here ever been?

What city did you fly into? What city did you stay in? Resort?

Only city to fly in to is Belize City.  Go to the Caye's off the coast.  Best snorkeling in the world except for Australia.

Caye Caulker is the first and smallest Island you get to on the water taxi.  Hotels there are very affordable and the food is amazing.  No cars on the Island.  It is paradise.  Ambergris Caye is the largest of the Islands and is again just total paradise.  My Dad lives in Belize and we have always just gone to Caye Caulker for day trips, but he is getting married next month and he is taking his new bride to Ambergris because the hotels aren't as rustic and there are more eating places there.  San Pedro Caye was mentioned in a Madonna song.  You can get to all of those on a water taxi.

Make sure you have a morning or afternoon to visit the Mayan ruins (Altun Ha (sp?).  Absolutely amazing.

You will absolutely love Belize.  Don't go out after dark in Belize City unless you have to, but it isn't as dangerous as the numbers say.  Even during the day make sure you are aware of your surroundings in Belize City.  Once you are out on the Islands you will be amazed at the beauty.  No place like it on earth.
Retired Radio Host

FaytownHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 25, 2013, 12:36:37 pm
Only city to fly in to is Belize City.  Go to the Caye's off the coast.  Best snorkeling in the world except for Australia.

Caye Caulker is the first and smallest Island you get to on the water taxi.  Hotels there are very affordable and the food is amazing.  No cars on the Island.  It is paradise.  Ambergris Caye is the largest of the Islands and is again just total paradise.  My Dad lives in Belize and we have always just gone to Caye Caulker for day trips, but he is getting married next month and he is taking his new bride to Ambergris because the hotels aren't as rustic and there are more eating places there.  San Pedro Caye was mentioned in a Madonna song.  You can get to all of those on a water taxi.

Make sure you have a morning or afternoon to visit the Mayan ruins (Altun Ha (sp?).  Absolutely amazing.

You will absolutely love Belize.  Don't go out after dark in Belize City unless you have to, but it isn't as dangerous as the numbers say.  Even during the day make sure you are aware of your surroundings in Belize City.  Once you are out on the Islands you will be amazed at the beauty.  No place like it on earth.
Pretty much sums it up. Tons to do from golf, snorkel, scuba dive, sky dive, fly over the blue hole, deep sea fishing etc. You can also go into the western part of the country for more mountains and jungles and go caving and see some really historic stuff out there too.

BR

Headed for 14 days in Feb... Then back in again in the summer for week or two...   
Check out this THREAD

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=495598.0
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Jackrabbit Hog

My wife and the girls had a stopover there on a cruise this summer (I had to stay home and work).  The one day they were in Belize was enough that they all said they want to go there again for an extended stay.  Of course, next to Honduras and Mexico, their other stops, I guess Belize looked pretty good.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 26, 2013, 07:55:41 am
My wife and the girls had a stopover there on a cruise this summer (I had to stay home and work).  The one day they were in Belize was enough that they all said they want to go there again for an extended stay.  Of course, next to Honduras and Mexico, their other stops, I guess Belize looked pretty good.
Where you would stop in Honduras and Mexico would still be pretty water and beaches but yea, Belize is a pretty top notch place for seeing the Caribbean wild life.

Hankweb

I'm here near Hopkins today!
Flying out of Dangriga to Belize City and headed back tomorrow...was checking email and saw that there are two different Groupon deals available in Belize right now...one was on Ambergris I believe and the other one Turneffe. Very reasonable if they fit your specific travel window.

Hankweb

A little cloudy here today though! But wife doesn't seem to mind.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hogoverseas

Definitely jealous Hankweb! We are flying out on Saturday to go to our place on the gulf coast, but it looks like we are going to deal with a tropical storm.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hankweb on October 01, 2013, 01:44:28 pm
I'm here near Hopkins today!
Flying out of Dangriga to Belize City and headed back tomorrow...was checking email and saw that there are two different Groupon deals available in Belize right now...one was on Ambergris I believe and the other one Turneffe. Very reasonable if they fit your specific travel window.

Hey!  My Dad will be in Hopkins tomorrow and Thursday and he was in Dangriga on Sunday.  He spends a lot of time down in that part of the country.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

It is a tropical paradise that isn't overly crowded.  It is still a relatively unknown paradise.  I've always gone with family so I don't know what kind of night life it has if that is what you are looking for.  Just a perfect place to get away and vacation for not much money and not many people around.
Retired Radio Host

Hankweb

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on October 01, 2013, 05:58:22 pm
It is a tropical paradise that isn't overly crowded.  It is still a relatively unknown paradise.  I've always gone with family so I don't know what kind of night life it has if that is what you are looking for.  Just a perfect place to get away and vacation for not much money and not many people around.

Are you talking about Hopkins? If so...you are exactly right. But let's not tell too many people!
Had a place in Placencia for years and moved to Hopkins, actually just a ways down the beach from Hamanasi, Jaguar Reef and the other resorts....just above Sittee Point about 5 or 6 years ago. Harder to get to, but not terrible, and very much worth it

DeltaBoy

We had friends go and they all rave about it. My parents neighbors went every year from about 1982 till he passed away in 2010.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on October 01, 2013, 05:55:13 pm
Hey!  My Dad will be in Hopkins tomorrow and Thursday and he was in Dangriga on Sunday.  He spends a lot of time down in that part of the country.

So the truth finally comes out about the funding of Ched's media empire.  Dad's drug cartel money...
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 02, 2013, 11:33:15 am
So the truth finally comes out about the funding of Ched's media empire.  Dad's drug cartel money...

Sshhhh.  That info could get you killed. 8)
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hankweb on October 02, 2013, 09:40:48 am
Are you talking about Hopkins? If so...you are exactly right. But let's not tell too many people!
Had a place in Placencia for years and moved to Hopkins, actually just a ways down the beach from Hamanasi, Jaguar Reef and the other resorts....just above Sittee Point about 5 or 6 years ago. Harder to get to, but not terrible, and very much worth it

I was really talking about all of Belize, especially the Cayes.  My parent's used to have to take a dug out canoe to get to Hopkins back in the 60's.  My Dad tells me that in rainy season it can still get pretty muddy back there.

My folks were missionaries there in the 60's and my Dad is now again a Missionary there (He is now in his 70's).
Retired Radio Host

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on October 02, 2013, 12:31:58 pm
I was really talking about all of Belize, especially the Cayes.  My parent's used to have to take a dug out canoe to get to Hopkins back in the 60's.  My Dad tells me that in rainy season it can still get pretty muddy back there.

My folks were missionaries there in the 60's and my Dad is now again a Missionary there (He is now in his 70's).

Kudos to your dad.  Our oldest, a junior at Mississippi State, is going to make mission work in Guatemala her career.  She is 20 and has already been to Guatemala 7 times.  Going again over Christmas break.

DeltaBoy

It one place on my bucket list.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hankweb on October 01, 2013, 02:11:09 pm
A little cloudy here today though! But wife doesn't seem to mind.

Excellent

BR

DeltaBoy

titsonboar

Great vacation spot. Stayed at jaguar reef resort. Pristine place

BR

2 weeks and I will be there for 15 days...

DeltaBoy

BR

87 today in San Pedro, Belikin is ice cold. The Palapa Bar & Fidos is rocking...

Oklahawg

Quote from: BR on February 06, 2014, 10:22:28 am
87 today in San Pedro, Belikin is ice cold. The Palapa Bar & Fidos is rocking...

BOO!!! I'm jealous as hell.

Hope you have a great time.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BR

One of my friends Video he did while we were all there. I'm in it a few times. Scott & Jodie that own the Palapa Bar are great friends of mine...

BR

Quote from: BR on February 18, 2014, 02:50:45 pm
  One of my friends Video he did while we were all there. I'm in it a few times. Scott & Jodie that own the Palapa Bar are great friends of mine...

Willyboy

Going back to Caye Caulker for a third year in a row and I'm wondering if anyone has done some fishing just off the piers or the split, and what sort of tackle is needed for that.  I'll be there March 15th and 16th.

BR

Tons of people were fishing in Caye Caulker the couple of days we were there this month. Not a the Split though. Way too many people swimming to fish..  Weather was perfect for our 11 days. Going back next Feb, for 2 weeks.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on February 06, 2014, 10:22:28 am

Lord forgive me I am envious of my Hogville Brother today.

Hankweb

Just finalized plans to head down in a few weeks for a 5 or 6 week stay! Lot's of Belikin, books, dining and diving (with just a tad of business!) in my future.

Willyboy

just got back from Caye Caulker on Monday.  It was wonderful.  Shared a belikin with a local who helped me find some fish bait.  Belize is paradise.

Also got a "woo pig sooie" while eating breakfast one day with my hog hat on.

Ugly Uncle

Belize and the Caye's are a brilliant secret to most of the world.  It isn't the place to go if you want over crowded spring break type fun.  It is an incredibly beautiful, slow, peaceful, great fishing, the best snorkeling in the world, safe, wonderful people, relaxing type place.  It is a paradise not too many people know about.  I absolutely love it.
Retired Radio Host

Oklahawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 19, 2014, 08:27:11 pm
Belize and the Caye's are a brilliant secret to most of the world.  It isn't the place to go if you want over crowded spring break type fun.  It is an incredibly beautiful, slow, peaceful, great fishing, the best snorkeling in the world, safe, wonderful people, relaxing type place.  It is a paradise not too many people know about.  I absolutely love it.

I am really wanting to vacation there one winter. Gotta convince the family that "nothing" is better than the hectic pace of a Disney-like vacation.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BR

I'll be headed back next Feb 4th for 2 weeks with about 20 friends

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 19, 2014, 08:27:11 pm

The Military Retirement Magazines know about it they have a full spread every March and October.

BR

10 months till we are back...

Old Tusk

I've been giving moving to Belize some thought. You guys haave any thoughts?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

BR

Quote from: Old Tusk on April 25, 2014, 04:54:17 pm
I've been giving moving to Belize some thought. You guys have any thoughts?
I would in a heartbeat..

Huckleberry Pig

What's the economy like down there as far as being able to get a job?  I'm 26 and in finance and am bored at work today and my curiosity is getting the best of me

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on April 29, 2014, 09:24:53 am
What's the economy like down there as far as being able to get a job?  I'm 26 and in finance and am bored at work today and my curiosity is getting the best of me

PM Ched the Ugly Uncle his Dad been down there for years.

Hankweb

Have had a home there for years and we're doing a bit of work there now. Going down in two weeks for a month. Like all countries there are work restrictions....but....
Citizenship not difficult to obtain but can take some time and patience. For an earlier question there are retirement enticements as well.

Old Tusk

What about healthcare?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Hankweb

Medical care in Belize does not meet the same standards as medical care in North America and it is kind of provided in tiers. The population of Belize is a little over 300,000 and more than half are living in poverty. About 100,000 people live in Belize City/Ambergris The economics are not there to support the level of medical care you get here. Also, there is no level one trauma center in the country. You should carry a catastrophic medical coverage policy including the cost of medical evacuation if you are going to be there long term or live there.
With all of that said there is healthcare and good healthcare in Belize although many expats go elsewhere for major surgeries/complications. The government has a hospital in Belize City, 3 Regional Hospitals, and about 60 or so (I think...in most towns and decent sized villages) health clinics around the country. Heusner Memorial and the Regional hospitals in Belmopan and Dangriga are pretty good but the one up north at Corozal Town is a joke and looks like a prison so most up there go over into Mexico for very good med and dental care. Ambergris has several medical clinics one of which is pretty much a small hospital. The public Hospitals do often have equipment that may be down or testing supplies not available or something so you may then be referred to a private facility for those things.
There are also 3 private hospitals that provide very good care (a few years ago the Prime Minister's law partner had an accident and they went right past the government Hospital to one of the private ones) and private clinics around the country.
In general healthcare for basic needs, illnesses, injuries, etc is good and fast and less expensive. (my last visit I was seen on the same day, had a metal shard removed from my thumb, and prescribed antibiotics and the total cost was 70.00 including the antibiotics that were filled at the onsite pharmacy and thats pretty typical) Most private helthcare providers take medical insurance also. Private care can be relatively costly for high-level medical care in the country so many locals and expats travel to Chetumal (Mexico) and Melchor-Flores (Guatemala) for more affordable medical and dental care. For a specialist Merida, Yucatan,(Merida in the Yucatan is a tier one one medical center with several specialist hospitals catering to the medical needs of most of Central America) and sometimes in Guatemala City are where folks seek care. More serious procedures I'd go to one of the private hospitals in Belize City, and then out of the country. Dental care, by the way, is right at half or less of US fees.

Old Tusk

Thanks. What about the retires enticement s?

Hankweb

Great concise description of work, work permits, residency, retirement program etc...There's more to each of the options but she gives a great primer

http://www.expatexchange.com/ctryguide/4145/20/Belize/Moving-to-Belize-Immigration--Visas

One of my favorite resources is Lan Sluder's website (Belize First) and his books Easy Belize etc. Author of link above also has a book I haven't read.

http://www.belizefirst.com/       and click the "Free retirement and Relocation link" that takes you to another page with links to all kinds of excellent and detailed information.

Old Tusk

Great info. Thanks. Do you think you might move there?

Hankweb

May 01, 2014, 02:55:15 pm #48 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:31:03 pm by Hankweb
Bought a place at Placencia in '95 and moved up here(near Hopkins/Sittee Point) 5- 6 years ago. I'll end up either in Belize or out west (northwest NM/southwest CO)....or both would be ideal!
Non tourist coastal places running low in Belize these days though and I'm a kind of local community beyond the end of the road kind of guy.

hoghappy

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on April 19, 2014, 10:52:26 pm
If you want to experience "the jungle", go to Chan Chich Lodge. It's a short charter to Gallon Jug from Belize City and then a bus ride to the lodge. Cool place.
Lizettes's hot sauce comes from Gallon Jug. My favorites are Maya Faya and Lizettes's Secret sauce.