Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belize 2013

Started by BR, September 05, 2012, 02:55:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/island.html 

Anyone ever been here?? We are going for 8-10 days in Feb..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

FaytownHog

Haven't been to that particular island but just got back from Caye Caulker about a month ago and the water is BEAUTIFUL and the snorkeling is top notch!

El Guapo

Yes, Ambergris caye (or just simply San Pedro Towne by the locals) is amazing. I have spent a lot of time in Belize through my work and any weekend we have free time we would slide out from the mainland to the cayes for a little R&R

The water and the reef is world class. Belize has the worlds second largest coral reef (Great barrier reef #1)

Also if you want something a little more secluded but just as beautiful, check out Caye Caulker. You can fly in to BZE and take a water taxi from Belize city straight out to it.

For more night life, more people, busier destination go Ambergris caye, for more secluded, slower pace go Caulker

http://www.gocayecaulker.com/
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

BR

Going down to party with a friend of mine that play music down there at http://fidosbelize.com/ ...  Looking forward to it, never been to Belize...

FaytownHog

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on September 05, 2012, 03:09:38 pm
Going down to party with a friend of mine that play music down there at http://fidosbelize.com/ ...  Looking forward to it, never been to Belize...
The islands are GREAT! Wouldn't venture into Belize City unless I had to though....Gets pretty rough over there, especially after dark.

BR

I think we are renting a house with a Chef & maid for the trip... Getting all the details done this week...

FaytownHog

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on September 05, 2012, 03:12:51 pm
I think we are renting a house with a Chef & maid for the trip... Getting all the details done this week...
Sounds like you'll have a good time! Don't forget the snorkeling gear!

El Guapo

September 05, 2012, 03:55:33 pm #7 Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:00:35 pm by El Guapo
Love Fido's (FEE-Do's)

have a great time and eat a conch burrito for ole' El Guapo!
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

BR

Quote from: El Guapo on September 05, 2012, 03:55:33 pm
Love Fido's (FEE-Do's)

have a great time and eat a conch burrito for ole' El Guapo!
I am sure we will, our friend Kelly McGuire plays there quite a bit. Says it  is an awesome place..

BR

B Ray

Went snorkeling inAugust , was the best snorkeling I have ever been on , I was on a Carnival cruise , I was disappointed in the little city that was staged for tourists, we ventured away from the area , wasn't very pleasant, was harassed and felt very uncomfortable... But the water , was awesome !!!!!!!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Shag66 on September 05, 2012, 05:04:49 pm
Belize and the lower area of the Mexican peninsula have some of the prettiest water you will see.  It is beautiful. 

Belize City does have a pirate museum and we toured some of the Mayan ruins there. 

Went to Belize about a year and a half ago and toured the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich.  Highly recommend.  Enjoyed my time in Belize.  I'm not sure I'd recommend going it alone in Belize City, though.  The area just beyond the port is pretty shady.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DeltaBoy

My Church and my HS been down to Belize the past year and both groups loved it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Willyboy

I agree with others that say Caye Caulker is awesome and slower paced.  Went there last March for two days during a mission trip (going back this year too).  The snorkeling is amazing, and the water is perfectly tranquil.  Don't be afraid to buy food from the street vendors and experience the local food.  There's a great little bakery near the bank (not sure of the name of either but it's a small island).  Anyone who goes there MUST eat at Habanero's.  It's one of the better meals I've eaten in my whole life. 

This is pretty sad considering it was a mission trip (hey, have some slack on the college students), but one of the coolest experiences of my life happened there.  We got a bottle of local rum and some coke and had ourselves a little party down by the split (where the island is split in two) and while we were there, this older jamaican man walked up with some mini bongos and played the Banana Boat song ('Day-O') while we sang along.  It was great experience. 

FaytownHog

Quote from: Willyboy on November 15, 2012, 03:35:04 amdown by the split (where the island is split in two)
Even right there is a great place to snorkel! It's crazy how many colorful fish are right around there!

FaytownHog

Quote from: FaytownHog on November 15, 2012, 03:57:29 am
Even right there is a great place to snorkel! It's crazy how many colorful fish are right around there!
I took this picture off the north side of the split at dusk about 3 months ago.

FaytownHog

Here's a few more pics I took out on Caye Caulker 3 months ago.

This is when Hurricane Ernesto was coming in (before we had to evacuate)

El Guapo

Quote from: FaytownHog on November 15, 2012, 04:06:26 am
Here's a few more pics I took out on Caye Caulker 3 months ago.

"The Split"... I love to jump off of the diving board that is out there when the tide is going out, you can jump and let the current pull you right back down to the shallow water, grab a beer and go again!

Willyboy

Quote from: FaytownHog on November 15, 2012, 03:57:29 am

I didn't snorkel down there, but I'll be sure to do that.  There is decent snorkeling off the piers on the reef side.  I saw anemone's and shrimp, giant starfish, and mantis shrimp right next to a pier.  Didn't expect to see that. 

How bad was the hurricane for the island?  I know that last march they were dredging and dumping the sand to extend the beach out.

Willyboy

A few hours after sunset our last night on the island.  Taken from the back yard of our hotel/place.

This anemone (and it's shrimp) were right off the pier.

Out on the reef.

Willyboy

baitshop

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on September 17, 2012, 08:32:05 pm
http://www.pelicanreefvillas.com/  This is where we are staying at...

Have been to Ambergris Caye twice. Loved it...I have also toured the property that you are staying at and I think that you will like it...

My only input to you would be that the "excursions/activities" on the website that you supplied are waaaaaay overpriced. We were there 2 years ago and went reef fishing for 4 hours for $35/person and on reef snorkling for the same price and time. Just ask any of the locals and they can hook you up.

The water at Belize is the most beautiful that I have seen. We snorkled everyday. I would suggest that you take your own snorkel though....the ones that they have there have been used extensively.

Take a good book and sit on the beach in the morning with a good cup of coffee.
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

FaytownHog

Quote from: Willyboy on November 16, 2012, 12:37:28 pm

How bad was the hurricane for the island?  I know that last march they were dredging and dumping the sand to extend the beach out.
I'm not sure. I left before it hit the island. Yea, they are "reclaiming" the sand from the ocean to make more beach front. Not sure how long it will take but I'm guessing quite a few months.

BR

January 30, 2013, 09:59:14 am #23 Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:11:51 pm by Joetown Parrothead
3 days till we get there, can't wait. Got 3" of the white $hit today in Joetown..

ridgehog88

Hope that is 3 inches not feet.  Either way it will be better where you are going.

Lanny

post your pics one you return
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Oklahawg

Belize has been on my radar for a while. I can't wait for the review!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

FaytownHog

February 02, 2013, 09:21:07 pm #27 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:31:21 pm by FaytownHog
For some reason the youtube link button isn't letting me imbed this video but here's a video of snorkeling just off the barrier reef near Caye Caulker. You might even notice one of the Ugly faces of your Uncle in there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__8B-yRlUU

BR

This place is freaking awesome... 

FaytownHog

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on February 05, 2013, 06:54:29 am
This place is freaking awesome... 
The islands are AWESOME! Not too crowded and still like paradise! I wouldn't get into downtown Belize City unless you're joining up with a gang or something though.

BR

We are a block from Jerry Jeff Walkers home. Might buy a place here.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on February 05, 2013, 06:26:13 pm
We are a block from Jerry Jeff Walkers home. Might buy a place here.

When is the hogville house warming party?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BR

The people on Ambergris Caye are some of the nicest we have ever met. My wife and I are blessed to have been almost around the world.. This is one of the best...  I will have a full review with photos next week..  Found a local sausage factory yesterday and got loaded up on some stuff.. They use a lot of Habanero in seasonings down here, love it.

Hankweb

Very blessed to have a place in the mountains in CO as well as a place in Belize....on the beach near Hopkins for us. The attractiveness is mainly the people and the pace for us. There are several areas in the country to check out. We opted for a "less touristy" location but that comes with some limitations (restaurant options, some groceries, a bit more travel to get there etc) that you'd be a lot less likely to experience on Ambergris. But with that trade comes peace and quiet and deserted beach! Some attractive retirement inducements also if your are there or when you get there( to ) retirement.
Gotta have some fry Jacks, beans rice and stew chicken with plenty of hot sauce and try the hudut if you get to a Garifuna place.
Have a blast

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hankweb on February 06, 2013, 10:25:27 am
Very blessed to have a place in the mountains in CO as well as a place in Belize....on the beach near Hopkins for us. The attractiveness is mainly the people and the pace for us. There are several areas in the country to check out. We opted for a "less touristy" location but that comes with some limitations (restaurant options, some groceries, a bit more travel to get there etc) that you'd be a lot less likely to experience on Ambergris. But with that trade comes peace and quiet and deserted beach! Some attractive retirement inducements also if your are there or when you get there( to ) retirement.
Gotta have some fry Jacks, beans rice and stew chicken with plenty of hot sauce and try the hudut if you get to a Garifuna place.
Have a blast

There's a great little place, basically a really small house, called "John's" right off the main road in Dangriga and he cooks and serves all the stuff you just mentioned. Great guy too!

FaytownHog

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on February 06, 2013, 07:20:01 am
They use a lot of Habanero in seasonings down here, love it.
Belize is the home of Mari Sharps!

Hankweb

Quote from: FaytownHog on February 08, 2013, 01:04:40 pm
There's a great little place, basically a really small house, called "John's" right off the main road in Dangriga and he cooks and serves all the stuff you just mentioned. Great guy too!

We usually leave our vehicle in Dangriga, fly into there, and drive down to Hopkins. Are you talking about John's across from the bus terminal? Have eaten there many times! Great guy and great food.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hankweb on February 08, 2013, 02:52:05 pm
We usually leave our vehicle in Dangriga, fly into there, and drive down to Hopkins. Are you talking about John's across from the bus terminal? Have eaten there many times! Great guy and great food.
hmmm.....Here's a pic I found of John cooking up a storm outside his house/restaurant!

pigture perfect

You guys are making me homesick. I grew up there. When I lived there, Hopkins was only accessible by dugout canoe. Dangriga (Stann Creek valley) is my favorite area.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hankweb

Yep that's him. John Castillo

Pigture....road still gets under water but marginally drivable. Was down two weeks ago, and as usual :)..."it's getting paved this year"

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hankweb on February 09, 2013, 03:33:08 pm
Yep that's him. John Castillo

Pigture....road still gets under water but marginally drivable. Was down two weeks ago, and as usual :)..."it's getting paved this year"
How often do you go down there? How much did it cost to buy a house and I'm guessing there's yearly taxes and stuff you have to pay for owning a home there? How much is that? I'd love to have a house down there some day. Can barely stay in the one I have in the states but I can dream!

pigture perfect

Hank. my dad, just moved back in January. I'm going for a visit in March. Hopkins is on our itinerary. I love that place.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hankweb

Housing cost varies greatly depending on location. Where in the country, where in relationship to certain "traits" (river, beach, etc). There is also usually a "Belizian price" and a non belizian price. Meaning....if it's a Belizian owned property and pigture's Dad approaches them to buy he will get a much better price than you, a "rich American", might get.
For beachfront in Hopkins or Sarteneja built to "American standards" a 2-3 br home with electricity and water might be 300- 350 plus and Placencia and Ambergris can be more. I've also seen Belizian type homes (either concrete block or Mennonite built wood....nice, comfortable, but maybe not granite counter tops and stainless appliances) much cheaper. There are a couple of houses now one or two tiers back in Placencia that are in the 150-180 range. A partially blocked ocean view on one and 2 or 3 minute walk to the beach on both and both in town. There is a house in Maya Beach that is 700+. Inland land, farms, homes, are usually very reasonable.
Real estate agents in Belize are not regulated in any way. Print cards and you're an agent but reputable ones can be helpful and they do charge a commission comparable to here. Many many properties are still sold just simply word of mouth and very often without signs or anything so if you can some how make a local connection, especially in the smaller villages, you likely will find a better deal. A lot of expats who have been there a while like to say that your second house there is better and cheaper...because you've made connections. Also never a bad idea to rent a house for a while in a location you are interested in to see if you like it. Also, ideally, make sure you see it at the height of rainy season. That idyllic location may not be quite as great if it's covered by water for several months or if you're renting for a couple of months the inability to get a good steak to grill along with a lack of red wine to go with it may be a deal breaker!
  In Belize you should always have a lawyer represent you in a home/land purchase. Unlike their bad rap here lawyers are very respected pillars of the community in Belize and some of the families with the richest Belizian histories are lawyers. Clear title, transaction details, registration, etc all handled by the lawyer and the fee is about 1.5-2% of purchase I believe. Also a 5% stamp tax is levied (Used to 10-15% for non Belizians until a few years ago) and there is a property tax that varies by district but I think most are 1.5% and many are on property only value not the structure.
Have a great trip in March! Should be perfect.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hankweb on February 11, 2013, 10:06:50 am
Housing cost varies greatly depending on location. Where in the country, where in relationship to certain "traits" (river, beach, etc). There is also usually a "Belizian price" and a non belizian price. Meaning....if it's a Belizian owned property and pigture's Dad approaches them to buy he will get a much better price than you, a "rich American", might get.
For beachfront in Hopkins or Sarteneja built to "American standards" a 2-3 br home with electricity and water might be 300- 350 plus and Placencia and Ambergris can be more. I've also seen Belizian type homes (either concrete block or Mennonite built wood....nice, comfortable, but maybe not granite counter tops and stainless appliances) much cheaper. There are a couple of houses now one or two tiers back in Placencia that are in the 150-180 range. A partially blocked ocean view on one and 2 or 3 minute walk to the beach on both and both in town. There is a house in Maya Beach that is 700+. Inland land, farms, homes, are usually very reasonable.
Real estate agents in Belize are not regulated in any way. Print cards and you're an agent but reputable ones can be helpful and they do charge a commission comparable to here. Many many properties are still sold just simply word of mouth and very often without signs or anything so if you can some how make a local connection, especially in the smaller villages, you likely will find a better deal. A lot of expats who have been there a while like to say that your second house there is better and cheaper...because you've made connections. Also never a bad idea to rent a house for a while in a location you are interested in to see if you like it. Also, ideally, make sure you see it at the height of rainy season. That idyllic location may not be quite as great if it's covered by water for several months or if you're renting for a couple of months the inability to get a good steak to grill along with a lack of red wine to go with it may be a deal breaker!
  In Belize you should always have a lawyer represent you in a home/land purchase. Unlike their bad rap here lawyers are very respected pillars of the community in Belize and some of the families with the richest Belizian histories are lawyers. Clear title, transaction details, registration, etc all handled by the lawyer and the fee is about 1.5-2% of purchase I believe. Also a 5% stamp tax is levied (Used to 10-15% for non Belizians until a few years ago) and there is a property tax that varies by district but I think most are 1.5% and many are on property only value not the structure.
Wow! That's a lot to think about! How about we just rent your house while we're in town and call it good? Haha.

BR

Quote from: Hankweb on February 11, 2013, 10:06:50 am
I know, we looked at a couple of condos and also a house that are in foreclosure.. Lots to think about.. Got to know a lot of Ex-Pats that own places around town, said they will help us out if we pull the trigger.

BENTON PIGGEE

Do they speak more English or Spanish?

YepItsMe

El Guapo in Belize did you rape the horses and ride off on the women?

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: YepItsMe on February 12, 2013, 10:29:45 pm
El Guapo in Belize did you rape the horses and ride off on the women?

No comprehenday senior!

pigture perfect

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on February 12, 2013, 09:25:22 pm
English is the national language. It is spoken well by all the people groups.

BR

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on February 12, 2013, 09:25:22 pm
Almost all of them speak great English. It is a British Colony. They do speak Spanish a lot among themselves. I think that way they can talk about the crazy tourist that is trying to barter them down on something.