Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roundup Ready alfalfa update

Started by 195bc, July 03, 2009, 07:52:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

195bc

For those interested in an update on Roundup Ready alfalfa, those of us involved in the legal process believe it could be available once again in February or March, which would be in time to plant north of I-40 next spring.

For those that do not know the situation, when the USDA approved Roundup Ready alfalfa to sell several years ago, the Sierra Club and other tree huggers found a anti-biotechnology district judge in California and sued the USDA, claiming RR alfalfa was not deregulate (studied) properly, claiming it caused adverse envirnonmental conditions, which is total BS. So the parent company I work for (Land O'Lakes) and Monsanto, who jointly developed RR alfalfa, have been assisting the USDA in conducting what they call an Environmental Impact Statement/Study, which can take more than two years to complete. The study is almost complete and we think there is a good chance RR alfalfa will be deregulated, for the second time, in early spring.

It's great stuff, and will grow all over Arkansas, contrary to popular belief. Just need to get a proper soil pH on well-drained soil.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Will it out compete Johnson grass?
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

195bc

No, but you can keep spraying it with Roundup until all the Johnson grass is dead. Of course, there is some areas where Johnson grass is developing a resistence to Roundup, primarily because people didn't apply the proper amount when spraying before.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: 195bc on July 03, 2009, 09:50:14 pm
No, but you can keep spraying it with Roundup until all the Johnson grass is dead. Of course, there is some areas where Johnson grass is developing a resistence to Roundup, primarily because people didn't apply the proper amount when spraying before.

I may have one of those areas!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

HogBreath

I'd like to hear what Pork This thinks of this new fangled stuff.  Does it meet Pork's standards?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

195bc

Pork This still has much to learn. While some of his comments on forages is accurate, don't take all his advice as fact.