Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We lost talented coaches...

Started by twistitup, November 06, 2017, 08:08:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

CBB couldn't retain a quality staff...it's all about quality assistants and an identity

We have neither...this has killed recruiting and development
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HawgPilot

But Bret needed more $ to retain them ???

Boarcephus

November 06, 2017, 08:21:43 am #2 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:55:08 am by Boarcephus
 NM
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Piggfoot

Broyles lost many assistants. That is the nature of the game. The key to success
Is identifying potential assistants and keeping in contact with them. Pittman lied to Bielema and blindsided him.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Sundog

Quote from: twistitup on November 06, 2017, 08:08:17 am
CBB couldn't retain a quality staff...it's all about quality assistants and an identity

Truth

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 06, 2017, 08:23:21 am
Broyles lost many assistants. That is the nature of the game. The key to success
Is identifying potential assistants and keeping in contact with them. Pittman lied to Bielema and blindsided him.

Yes and Broyles assistants went on to won NC and Super Bowls.
Coach BB guys have done nothing.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

It's not just about Pittman - it's more CBB's failure to replace these coaches with quality assistants that could recruit and develop players. Coaching turnover is part of coaching and so is being able to recruit more quality assistants into the fold. These assistants should share his overall philosophy on football (if he has one). Enos is like mixing oil and water, in addition to that, he failed at CMU...and that is all CBB could find?

It appears CBB has burned bridges w past assistants - I don't see him being able to put together a quality staff in the future - he doesn't have one now...and more of the same won't change a thing.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: twistitup on November 06, 2017, 08:41:44 am
It's not just about Pittman - it's more CBB's failure to replace these coaches with quality assistants that could recruit and develop players. Coaching turnover is part of the game, but has to be able to recruit more quality assistants into the fold. These assistants should 'ideally' share his overall philosophy on football (if he has one). Enos is like mixing oil and water, in addition he failed at CMU...and that is all CBB could find?

It appears CBB has burned bridges w past assistants - I don't see him being able to put together a quality staff in the future - he doesn't have one now...and more of the same won't change a thing.

I think CBB is toxic in the assistant football world. He has to go out and get assistant to the assistant type coaches. He has some issues at Wisconsin but the common problem is Bert.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 06, 2017, 08:41:38 am
Yes and Broyles assistants went on to won NC and Super Bowls.
Coach BB guys have done nothing.

You sure about that? His former assistants are actually pretty successful coaches.

BallHog1

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 06, 2017, 08:50:12 am
You sure about that? His former assistants are actually pretty successful coaches.
He's rarely "sure" about anything, just likes to comment....a lot.....without saying anything.

nichc85

Always being willing to listen to facts and learn, can you give specific information that supports your statement about his assistant coaches being successful?

twistitup

Quote from: nichc85 on November 06, 2017, 09:48:14 am
Always being willing to listen to facts and learn, can you give specific information that supports your statement about his assistant coaches being successful?

I think he is saying some past assistants have gone on to be successful......not current assistants.

Ex- Chaney, Pittman, Shannon, Partridge, Ash, etc...

Georgia has our old Offensive crew and they are #1. Many on this board will trash Georgia and their staff - saying it's all the recruiting base...I CALL B.S.

We let some top notch coaches move down the road just to come back a few years later to the SEC and be great - makes CBB look bad. He can't retain a quality staff, it has nothing to do w $$ and everything to do w CBB

Razorbackers

Partridge, Pittman, and Singleton were great coaches. Partridge and Pittman were our top recruiters.

The fact is, Reggie Mitchell is a good coach and has a solid recruiting background, but he's the only one who has any real recruiting wins to his name as a coach in his time at Illinois and Kansas.

Anderson has been the flop of flops. So was Segrest. Both of those guys failed horribly in the scheming department. Now, that being said, Anderson has a couple of nice 3 star recruits under his belt here already, but holy crap the line is a mess.

When it's all said and done...bad luck with coaching hires might play the biggest role in Bret's failure here. Smith, Segrest, Rhoads (3-4 omg), Anderson....they didn't do well AT ALL.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 06, 2017, 08:50:12 am

It's true for the most part of his Arkansas assistants who he has hand picked.  Makes you wonder if he had "help" picking his assistants at Wisconsin, because several of those have had success.

younghog

well we see what Coach Randy Shannon is doing these days..
GO HOGS

twistitup

Quote from: younghog on November 06, 2017, 11:10:32 am

He needs 5 years to get things going down there....get the right pieces in place, develop a redshirt program, etc, etc, etc

They will give him 5, right?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: younghog on November 06, 2017, 11:10:32 am

What?

He may well be without a job at years end.

Danimal

Pittman told Bielema he didn't need a contract. That's not "blindsiding" someone -- it's more like saying "my days here are soon over". Bielema should have been getting his ducks in a row on a serviceable replacement and clearly didn't. At best that makes him gullible. At worst -- just dumb and lazy.

Hogusta National

Maybe Bielema lied to Pittman.  I get your 'technical' point of Pittman telling Bielema that he wouldn't leave so no need for it in the contract.  But goodness, it appears to me that Bielema has bailed on his own belief in a strong running game to cater to his OC's beliefs.  Perhaps that in itself is a lie!

reds10

It's hard to retain quality assistants when you don't have a quality head coach.

twistitup

Quote from: reds10 on November 06, 2017, 12:31:03 pm
It's hard to retain quality assistants when you don't have a quality head coach.

I think that's the issue - assistants don't want to go down w a sinking ship...and why we end up w guys like Enos who had very few options after failing at CMU

snoblind

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 10:54:18 am
It's true for the most part of his Arkansas assistants who he has hand picked.  Makes you wonder if he had "help" picking his assistants at Wisconsin, because several of those have had success.

I don't wonder about it, if you get my drift.

farmhawg

Quote from: twistitup on November 06, 2017, 10:36:40 am
I think he is saying some past assistants have gone on to be successful......not current assistants.

Ex- Chaney, Pittman, Shannon, Partridge, Ash, etc...

Georgia has our old Offensive crew and they are #1. Many on this board will trash Georgia and their staff - saying it's all the recruiting base...I CALL B.S.

We let some top notch coaches move down the road just to come back a few years later to the SEC and be great - makes CBB look bad. He can't retain a quality staff, it has nothing to do w $$ and everything to do w CBB
Those same people that are saying he had successful assistants are also the same people that swore those assistants were the problem. They have their heads stuck in the sand and are saying anything right now.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: snoblind on November 06, 2017, 12:42:56 pm
I don't wonder about it, if you get my drift.

Heck I'm not drifting, I'm sailing!

Right over that guy's head!

Vantage 8 dude

Yep, one more than one occasion I've wondered the same thing. At Wisconsin we're told he wasn't given adequate monies to hire and/or retain the ones he wanted or needed. Since he's been at Arkansas apparently the funds have been available, however, there's been a constantly revolving door when it comes to coordinators, position coaches, etc. While there have been a few that have left for HC jobs or perhaps more compensation, the vast majority of changes have not been. It seems CBB is always seeking that ever elusive "next big thing" when it comes to his staff. Alas, that person never seems to arrive.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I would assume Barry Alvarez had a big say in whom CBB hired as assistant coaches.

younghog

GO HOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2017, 02:05:17 pm
Yep, one more than one occasion I've wondered the same thing. At Wisconsin we're told he wasn't given adequate monies to hire and/or retain the ones he wanted or needed. Since he's been at Arkansas apparently the funds have been available, however, there's been a constantly revolving door when it comes to coordinators, position coaches, etc. While there have been a few that have left for HC jobs or perhaps more compensation, the vast majority of changes have not been. It seems CBB is always seeking that ever elusive "next big thing" when it comes to his staff. Alas, that person never seems to arrive.

There's some real misinformation in this post. First, every team in college football, especially in the SEC, has a revolving door of assistants and coordinators. It's the nature of the game, so it's hard to blame that on CBB or his personality or whatever you all think it is. It's no different anywhere else.  Also, most of the people who have left here have done so for a promotion.

Ash: promotion
Partridge: promotion
Chaney:  fired
Pittman: left angry for a promotion
Singleton: promotion
Shannon: promotion
Thomas: promotion
Segrest: fired
Smith: fired

Maybe I missed a couple but your contention that the vast majority haven't left for a promotion is simply false.  Still want to fire him, just saying you're wrong.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 06, 2017, 02:21:36 pm
There's some real misinformation in this post. First, every team in college football, especially in the SEC, has a revolving door of assistants and coordinators. It's the nature of the game, so it's hard to blame that on CBB or his personality or whatever you all think it is. It's no different anywhere else.  Also, most of the people who have left here have done so for a promotion.

Ash: promotion
Partridge: promotion
Chaney:  fired
Pittman: left angry for a promotion
Singleton: promotion
Shannon: promotion
Thomas: promotion
Segrest: fired
Smith: fired

Maybe I missed a couple but your contention that the vast majority haven't left for a promotion is simply false.  Still want to fire him, just saying you're wrong.
So approximately half were for promotions (not sure whether some actually turned out to be) and Chaney was fired  but went on to become the current OC at UGA and if I recall correctly isn't Pittman with Chaney now?

snoblind

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2017, 02:05:17 pm

Well, I don't about that.  Anderson is pretty big...

Oh wait, you meant big as in reputation, etc...  Never mind.

King Kong

Well, I didn't matter which Asst we lost for Petrino. He was the guy that made that thing go.

East Clintwood

But Broyles replaced his losses with other quality assistants.  Bert's replacements are always a step down from the guy they are replacing.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

DeltaBoy

Yes and He failed to hire anyone as good or better.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 06, 2017, 02:30:01 pm

But Broyles replaced his losses with other quality assistants.  Bert's replacements are always a step down from the guy they are replacing.
Exactly, thank you. Yep, while Broyles wasn't always accurate when it came to the eventual success of some assistants, for a very long time he was creating a future head coaching "machine" when it came to staff that came through the program. Why do you think they came up with the annual award by the same name that goes to the top football assistant?

swinemaster

Chaney wasn't officially fired.  We think we know the story but I remember Mike Irwin jumping all over me when I claimed that he was "fired".  He left Arkansas to take the OC job at Pitt.  ??????

ballz2thewall

what we're seeing on the field after 4+ years isn't assistants so much as the head coach. even with the "good" assistants we were schizophrenic as hell.

indeed. i came around to that conclusion just after i was preaching for rob smith's scalp but just before he was fired. after i thought about it [at that time] i finally coughed up the hairball - it AIN'T smith, it's headset bret....

same for the others. with the headset man in charge you just don't have a good baseline to judge other coaches...
The rest of the frog.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 06, 2017, 02:39:37 pm
what we're seeing on the field after 4+ years isn't assistants so much as the head coach. even with the "good" assistants we were schizophrenic as hell.

indeed. i came around to that conclusion just after i was preaching for rob smith's scalp but just before he was fired. after i thought about it [at that time] i finally coughed up the hairball - it AIN'T smith, it's headset bret....

same for the others. with the headset man in charge you just don't have a good baseline to judge other coaches...

This is right, regardless of how good or bad a individual appears to be you need to start your judgement a rung or two above him.  Maybe it's not even him it's the product,  according to some it's the fans.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2017, 02:27:39 pm
So approximately half were for promotions (not sure whether some actually turned out to be) and Chaney was fired  but went on to become the current OC at UGA and if I recall correctly isn't Pittman with Chaney now?

Your fractions are terrible. 6 left for promotions and three were fired.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 06, 2017, 03:10:24 pm
Your fractions are terrible. 6 left for promotions and three were fired.
Not in inverted math. I.E. Chinese calculus :) ;)