Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino Lovers

Started by soooieman, September 18, 2017, 11:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: RebHog on September 19, 2017, 05:48:25 pm

Okay that's one guy NONE of these skilled players panned out. Maybe give some credit to the coach and his system that elevated their play. Well Wright does make it on the field here and there so I guess not a total whiff.
DMAC by def is a bust in the NFL but you can still see his talent stick out in the NFL at times just not consistently. It was a bad combo of going to the raiders and injuries caused him to not have a better NFL career.

What about Childs? Want to call him a bust as well?

Let me slow this down for you a bit. How many of those skilled players were drafted? Forget their NFL careers.

How many were drafted?

Now go look at each Arkansas graduating class and tell me how many skilled players were drafted? Far less than this class we are speaking of.

I say give our Arkansas boys more credit. Maybe not knock their NFL careers in order to protect a scumbag like Petrino. Adams, Wright, Childs, Mallett, Wilson will always be Hogs. They care for the school.

Petrino is a self-centered jerk who embarrassed our school. We were ridiculed for hiring the scumbag and were warned. When he lived up to his reputation we were not ridiculed because people were embarrassed for us. Long's decision turned the light squarely on the scumbag as he deserved.

Back to the point. Go look at each class and find me one that had more draftees than that class.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:03:33 pm
What about Childs? Want to call him a bust as well?

Let me slow this down for you a bit. How many of those skilled players were drafted? Forget their NFL careers.

How many were drafted?

Now go look at each Arkansas graduating class and tell me how many skilled players were drafted? Far less than this class we are speaking of.

I say give our Arkansas boys more credit. Maybe not knock their NFL careers in order to protect a scumbag like Petrino. Adams, Wright, Childs, Mallett, Wilson will always be Hogs. They care for the school.

Petrino is a self-centered jerk who embarrassed our school. We were ridiculed for hiring the scumbag and were warned. When he lived up to his reputation we were not ridiculed because people were embarrassed for us. Long's decision turned the light squarely on the scumbag as he deserved.

Back to the point. Go look at each class and find me one that had more draftees than that class.

I don't disagree that BP is a scumbag.  He is.  He's also a great college football coach. However, JLS embarrassed the UA more than BP did.  Now BB is embarrassing the UA with a subpar football record.  All in all we at least had a good football team in the BP years.  Afterwards...........not so much.  BB needs to go and BP has no bearing on that what so ever.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 05:54:16 pm
Adams was a d-back
Wright is pretty small
Childs tore up both knees
Dennis Johnson fumbled
Mallettt has an attitude problem
Cobi Hamilton lacked upper body strength
Gragg has been a platoon player

All these guys were very good college players but the transition to the NFL is low % at best.

Look at the size of that list. Is there any other class from Arkansas where we can talk about their NFL experience? Good or bad they made it to the big show. No other class has produced that many.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MemphisBossHog

what a ridiculous premise---Petrino was/is a lucky coach and thats all it was when he was at ARK--just luck.   And yes, I get that the thread is about BB and not BP.  Well if the point of the thread is to say that Petrino is not an "elite" coach, well.......ok.  Fine he is not Saban. He is not Urban.  Point taken. 

Nevertheless, BP is BETTER than BB.  Plain and simple and to pawn it all off on luck is just wrong.  If Petrino was lucky, then I would love to have some more of that kind of luck. 

Now, I really really hope that this coming Sat, the team comes out focused and in sync and looks like a team that has potential to get better and have a successful season. 

Everyone must realize that this game against A$M is almost a no win situation.  If we win, well A$M is not any good anyway.  They blew a 34 pt lead in just a quarter and struggled to beat Nicholls St.  So beating them will not garner us any kind of national respect.  And God forbid if we lose because once again, A$M is not any good.  They blew a 34 pt lead in just one quarter and struggled to beat Nicholls St.  They are starting a true freshman quarterback and yada yada yada.   

I just hope BB and his staff did some soul searching and have been able to get the team all on the same page with focus and passion. I want it to work with BB.  I really do.  I think the guy is a good guy and I think he has grown to love it at Arkansas.  Now he just needs to figure out how to turn things around.

Wildhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:08:03 pm
Look at the size of that list. Is there any other class from Arkansas where we can talk about their NFL experience? Good or bad they made it to the big show. No other class has produced that many.

As an aside, Dennis Johnson wouldn't have sniffed a Bielema offer.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 06:11:40 pm

BB don't need no water buffalo on rails
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 19, 2017, 06:08:21 pm
what a ridiculous premise---Petrino was/is a lucky coach and thats all it was when he was at ARK--just luck.   And yes, I get that the thread is about BB and not BP.  Well if the point of the thread is to say that Petrino is not an "elite" coach, well.......ok.  Fine he is not Saban. He is not Urban.  Point taken. 

Nevertheless, BP is BETTER than BB.  Plain and simple and to pawn it all off on luck is just wrong.  If Petrino was lucky, then I would love to have some more of that kind of luck. 

Now, I really really hope that this coming Sat, the team comes out focused and in sync and looks like a team that has potential to get better and have a successful season. 

Everyone must realize that this game against A$M is almost a no win situation.  If we win, well A$M is not any good anyway.  They blew a 34 pt lead in just a quarter and struggled to beat Nicholls St.  So beating them will not garner us any kind of national respect.  And God forbid if we lose because once again, A$M is not any good.  They blew a 34 pt lead in just one quarter and struggled to beat Nicholls St.  They are starting a true freshman quarterback and yada yada yada.   

I just hope BB and his staff did some soul searching and have been able to get the team all on the same page with focus and passion. I want it to work with BB.  I really do.  I think the guy is a good guy and I think he has grown to love it at Arkansas.  Now he just needs to figure out how to turn things around.

I have not said BB is better than BP as a head coach. As a human yes, but not as a head coach.

My point is BP lovers need to seriously look at the class of talent that first year. Fact is history shows us the Hogs ride high in years where the state produces talent and low when they don't.

That one bumper class took us very high for two years. Someone posted a very detailed list of the classes BP signed. The attrition was showing big time cracks that I don't believe Saban could have overcome.

As Zeke said, if you want to be proud of the Rent A Center stereo then go for it. I want a coach who can recruit, keep, and scheme to win games. BB is failing in the latter. BP was failing in the second one.

ChitownHawg

Sorry my posts have nothing to do with BB.

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 06:14:31 pm
BB don't need no water buffalo on rails

Oh, I'm a huge DJ fan. 

My point is that there are a lot of people assuming that all of those guys would even get offered by Bielema. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:15:04 pm
I have not said BB is better than BP as a head coach. As a human yes, but not as a head coach.

My point is BP lovers need to seriously look at the class of talent that first year. Fact is history shows us the Hogs ride high in years where the state produces talent and low when they don't.

That one bumper class took us very high for two years. Someone posted a very detailed list of the classes BP signed. The attrition was showing big time cracks that I don't believe Saban could have overcome.

As Zeke said, if you want to be proud of the Rent A Center stereo then go for it. I want a coach who can recruit, keep, and scheme to win games. BB is failing in the latter. BP was failing in the second one.
Hilarious. So that 2008 class that was ranked 25-30 Bielema would've for sure wrecked shop with it? Not buying it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GuvHog

Tell that to the Florida Gators that played under Urban Meyer. The year the Hogs played in Gainsville, they couldn't stop Johnson.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 06:18:03 pm
Hilarious. So that 2008 class that was ranked 25-30 Bielema would've for sure wrecked shop with it? Not buying it.

Yeah, it's bull.  For the most part, those guys are just products of Petrino's system.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 06:18:09 pm
Tell that to the Florida Gators that played under Urban Meyer. The year the Hogs played in Gainsville, they couldn't stop Johnson.

2009.  The biggest screw job I've ever seen from a ref crew.

There's still no way DJ gets a CBB offer. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

https://louisville.forums.rivals.com/threads/how-much-are-we-paying-coach-petrino-it-appears-we-are-paying-way-to-much.35278/

https://louisville.forums.rivals.com/threads/ready-for-the-brohm-era.35215/

https://louisville.forums.rivals.com/threads/petrino.35245/

Petrino isn't the Legend many here make him out to be.  I think that was the OPs purpose or should have been.  Let the program move on.   Very good coach.  We may not get one more talented ever from an Xs and Os standpoint.  And better than Bielema certainly from that standpoint.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 19, 2017, 06:19:42 pm
https://louisville.forums.rivals.com/threads/how-much-are-we-paying-coach-petrino-it-appears-we-are-paying-way-to-much.35278/

Petrino isn't the Legend many here make him out to be.  I think that was the OPs purpose or should have been.  Let the program move on.   Very good coach.  We may not get one more talented ever from an Xs and Os standpoint.  And better than Bielema certainly from that standpoint.   

I don't care what he did elsewhere.  I'm 30 years old, and Petrino brought the best football I've ever seen at Arkansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 19, 2017, 06:19:42 pm

Yep, they ain't happy with 2.0.

Atlhogfan1

Don't see where that was claimed. It did fit great for Bobby when you include Mallett's transfer.   May not have worked with BB. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 06:21:16 pm
I don't care what he did elsewhere.  I'm 30 years old, and Petrino brought the best football I've ever seen at Arkansas.

For two years. The attrition rate of his classes was showing he could not maintain that success.

And 2.0 is showing he clearly lost some mojo from the accident.

Some guys win and never stop loving to win. Others win and then fall in love with themselves and fall back into the pack. It seems 2.0 is the latter.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 06:21:16 pm

Yep.  But isn't coming back.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:22:54 pm
For two years. The attrition rate of his classes was showing he could not maintain that success.

Nah. Just a real conference this time at Louisville. 

We had quite a few games where the game plan looked awful.  Against some mediocre to bad teams his adjustments worked.   Better than what is happening now.   

Wildhog

There are bound to be rebuilding years at Arkansas, but there's no evidence that he couldn't replicate the four years from 2008-1011.

Do you really think Bobby goes 4-8 in 2012 or 3-9 in 2013?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 06:25:00 pm
There are bound to be rebuilding years at Arkansas, but there's no evidence that he couldn't replicate the four years from 2008-1011.

Do you really think Bobby goes 4-8 in 2012 or 3-9 in 2013?

No. 7-8 wins in 12. Maybe that in 13 if BM stayed to qb.   Then .....    maybe back up.   

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 19, 2017, 06:24:16 pm

We had quite a few games where the game plan looked awful.  Against some mediocre to bad teams his adjustments worked.   Better than what is happening now.   

An interesting point.  CBP went 9-3 last year in a tougher conference than the SEC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Did I say he wouldn't?

You Petrino lovers are running out of steam. You look at that class and his attrition. His lack of defense and running game. You cannot argue those were issues Hogville was complaining about when he was here. And rightly so.

This reminds me of politics. When losing the argument scream "But Clinton". When losing this argument scream but Bielema.

Problem is I'm not saying BB is better than BP. Other than being a better human being.

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 19, 2017, 06:27:03 pm
No. 7-8 wins in 12. Maybe that in 13 if BM stayed to qb.   Then .....    maybe back up.   

So..... awesome?
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 06:17:16 pm
Oh, I'm a huge DJ fan. 

My point is that there are a lot of people assuming that all of those guys would even get offered by Bielema.

Who is arguing that? As your post was to me.

Wildhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:27:10 pm
Did I say he wouldn't?

You Petrino lovers are running out of steam. You look at that class and his attrition. His lack of defense and running game. You cannot argue those were issues Hogville was complaining about when he was here. And rightly so.

This reminds me of politics. When losing the argument scream "But Clinton". When losing this argument scream but Bielema.

Problem is I'm not saying BB is better than BP. Other than being a better human being.

I don't understand why anyone even has to defend Petrino.  I'm just thankful for the success I got to witness for the first time in my life.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 05:54:16 pm
Adams was a d-back
Wright is pretty small
Childs tore up both knees
Dennis Johnson fumbled
Mallettt has an attitude problem
Cobi Hamilton lacked upper body strength
Gragg has been a platoon player

All these guys were very good college players but the transition to the NFL is low % at best.

Over 50% of the guys on that list are still on an NFL roster, and at one point they all were. Petrino can't control what guys do or don't do once they get into the League. His job is to get them there, and he did that job.

WilsonHog

It's amazing to watch threads run in for five pages that should be settled in one. This is not rocket science. We are not splitting atoms.

Bobby Petrino is a helluva offensive mind. May be the best play-caller in the game.

Now, does the best play caller in the game worry about building a program to last 7 to 10 years? No. Does he worry about signing a bunch of studs on the defensive side of the ball? No. Waste of time. What he does is go get a bunch of stud offensive players and outscore your ass 51-48. Reads the same in the win-loss column as 17-10.

Bret Bielema (and Jeff Long) placed a bet five years ago. They bet that given five years, Bielema could build a program at Arkansas the traditional way, recruiting with the resources we have and going the player development. So far, that bet has not paid off. Does that make Bret a "bad coach?" Bad coaches don't land Big 10 and SEC jobs for $4 million a year. No, what it means is that to this point it looks like a bad fit for a good coach.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 06:27:23 pm
So..... awesome?

With the poor qbs we faced in '14 perhaps.  Roster would have been very different especially oline and RB.   

Silver Hog

Bobby beat Georgia, that felt so good.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 19, 2017, 06:22:22 pm
Don't see where that was claimed. It did fit great for Bobby when you include Mallett's transfer.   May not have worked with BB.

They are losing the argument so they are bringing up a strawman to cover their lack of an argument.

Wildhog

Quote from: Silver Hog on September 19, 2017, 06:29:55 pm
Bobby beat Georgia, that felt so good.

CBB beat Florida.  That felt great too.  Just giving credit where it's due.

1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 19, 2017, 06:24:16 pm

Good point as they are in a different conference this go around. And he lost to Kentucky last year. Can you imagine this board if he were our coach with a Heismann QB and we lose to Kentucky.

There would not be a single BP lover on the board.

Razorbax

Similarly, you and your Bielema Butt Boys get the same lack of defense and running game without the wins.
Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:27:10 pm
Did I say he wouldn't?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 06:29:16 pm
It's amazing to watch threads run in for five pages that should be settled in one. This is not rocket science. We are not splitting atoms.

Bobby Petrino is a helluva offensive mind. May be the best play-caller in the game.

Now, does the best play caller in the game worry about building a program to last 7 to 10 years? No. Does he worry about signing a bunch of studs on the defensive side of the ball? No. Waste of time. What he does is go get a bunch of stud offensive players and outscore your ass 51-48. Reads the same in the win-loss column as 17-10.

Bret Bielema (and Jeff Long) placed a bet five years ago. They bet that given five years, Bielema could build a program at Arkansas the traditional way, recruiting with the resources we have and going the player development. So far, that bet has not paid off. Does that make Bret a "bad coach?" Bad coaches don't land Big 10 and SEC jobs for $4 million a year. No, what it means is that to this point it looks like a bad fit for a good coach.

Not with you on the scoring part.  We've had those games without him as coach. What he does is beat almost every team his should which maxes a teams win total.  Underachievement doesn't happen.  Houston debacle last year an anomaly.  The Clemson game wasn't. 

Will be interested to see if he stays much longer after Strong's recruits and Jackson leave. If so not sure what Louisville will be.   Never have seen him stay and build something and replenish it. 

Wildhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:30:52 pm
They are losing the argument so they are bringing up a strawman to cover their lack of an argument.

Did you post this in the wrong thread?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbax

Losing because you said so?....SMH
Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:30:52 pm

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:15:04 pm

I mean BP was here all of 4 years, right? Four. The first year was a transition year as BP's system was completely different from Hootie's.  Two years later, we were in New Orleans playing OSU in the Sugar Bowl--BCS.  Next year, the Cotton Bowl and a #5 ranking.  That all cant be just luck.  He did all that in 4 years.

In BB's 4th year, we had a chance for a 9-4 season but lost the last 2 games by blowing leads against Mizzou (who was winless in the SEC up til then) and VaTech.  And in BB's 5th year, his team turned in the worst home performance since we lost to Vanderbilt at home several years ago. (I got that from a friend of mine who's father in law has a luxury box at DWRRS and has gone to every home game for the last 10 years). 

Luck or no luck, I will take BP over BB every time. 

Razorbax

Conversely, CBB could have 12 First team All Americans, a Heisman and an Outland winner, lose to an Auburn by 50 and you'll still spew....But Petrino couldn't beat Alabama
Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:33:17 pm
Good point as they are in a different conference this go around. And he lost to Kentucky last year. Can you imagine this board if he were our coach with a Heismann QB and we lose to Kentucky.

There would not be a single BP lover on the board.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 06:29:16 pm

That is where I landed after our last four games. Now I was saying similar with MA after that losing streak which including the dusting at OSU. Then they went on a run and made to the Dance. I give MA credit for that, but he does need to take another step forward this year.

BB the same.

Wildhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 06:38:23 pm
That is where I landed after our last four games. Now I was saying similar with MA after that losing streak which including the dusting at OSU. Then they went on a run and made to the Dance. I give MA credit for that, but he does need to take another step forward this year.

BB the same.

Totally agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 19, 2017, 06:34:30 pm
Not with you on the scoring part.  We've had those games without him as coach. What he does is beat almost every team his should which maxes a teams win total.  Underachievement doesn't happen.  Houston debacle last year an anomaly.  The Clemson game wasn't. 

Will be interested to see if he stays much longer after Strong's recruits and Jackson leave. If so not sure what Louisville will be.   Never have seen him stay and build something and replenish it.
I believe BP signed a 7 year contract extension with UL.   I doubt he is going anywhere anytime soon.  His contract has a $10M buyout clause if he wants to leave.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/louisville-makes-odd-decision-gives-bobby-petrino-a-hefty-new-deal/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bobby-petrino-says-louisville-is-his-destination-job/

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 19, 2017, 06:39:58 pm
I believe BP signed a 7 year contract extension with UL.   I doubt he is going anywhere anytime soon.  His contract has a $10M buyout clause if he wants to leave.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/louisville-makes-odd-decision-gives-bobby-petrino-a-hefty-new-deal/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bobby-petrino-says-louisville-is-his-destination-job/

I think he stays because few would be interested in him as far as better jobs.   They can hire well without having to deal with him. 

Going to be interesting to see where this goes in the ACC especially if Richt gets Miami going.   

Tusks

You BB lovers sure get but hurt when discussing the state of the program and his record.  You like to attack posters to deflect from the deflated record.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Razorbax on September 19, 2017, 06:38:12 pm
Conversely, CBB could have 12 First team All Americans, a Heisman and an Outland winner, lose to an Auburn by 50 and you'll still spew....But Petrino couldn't beat Alabama

Not realize this discussion isn't a defense of BB?  Not much to defend.

soooieman

Some guys win and never stop loving to win. Others win and then fall in love with themselves and fall back into the pack. It seems 2.0 is the latter.
Bingo

Wildhog

Quote from: tusked on September 19, 2017, 06:45:32 pm
You BB lovers sure get but hurt when discussing the state of the program and his record.  You like to attack posters to deflect from the deflated record.

I haven't noticed any attacks from either side.  Maybe I missed them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on September 19, 2017, 06:07:18 pm
I don't disagree that BP is a scumbag.  He is.  He's also a great college football coach. However, JLS embarrassed the UA more than BP did.  Now BB is embarrassing the UA with a subpar football record.  All in all we at least had a good football team in the BP years.  Afterwards...........not so much.  BB needs to go and BP has no bearing on that what so ever.

Embarrassing is the road rash press conference. Embarrassing is a coach telling the press to smile.

Losing is disappointing to me but not embarrassing. And I agree BP doesn't factor into the coaching decision moving forward.