Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino Lovers

Started by soooieman, September 18, 2017, 11:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 20, 2017, 03:18:02 pm
The 14 defense was made to look better by the poor qbs faced that season. Been a theme with our defense under BB.  Bad qb play and we may have a chance.   

That's true.  I sat through that game against LSU and their QB play that cold night was even worse than Miles' typical pathetic standard.  Ole Miss started off with Wallace throwing one interception after another, two of them after marching to the Arkansas goal line (one a pick six), then some hapless scrub who had about as much business playing QB in an SEC game as I did coming in when Bo got injured.

hawganatic

Petrino's accomplishments at Arkansas:

1.  21-5 over a two year period
2.  Only BCS Bowl in school's history
3.  Only two losses in season 4 were to the two teams that played for the NC (two teams that are considered two of the best in college football history)
4.  Ranked #3 going into the last game of the season in 2011 with a chance to play our way into the NC game
5.  Ranked #5 in nation at the end of the 2011 season
6.  Ranked #8 in BCS rankings at the end of the 2010 season
7.  Turned Casey Dick into a serviceable QB (possibly biggest accomplishment)

And we have a 8 page long thread on if he was a good coach or not?  Seriously?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 03:24:19 pm
That's true.  I sat through that game against LSU and their QB play that cold night was even worse than Miles' typical pathetic standard.  Ole Miss started off with Wallace throwing one interception after another, two of them after marching to the Arkansas goal line (one a pick six), then some hapless scrub who had about as much business playing QB in an SEC game as I did coming in when Bo got injured.

Don't want to take too much away from D especially Flowers as he wrecked some offenses and hit Bo. 

Texas qb was awful.  Missed plays downfield

K St qb in bowl the following season another example. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawganatic on September 20, 2017, 03:27:09 pm

3.  Only two losses in season 4 were to the two teams that played for the NC (two teams that are considered two of the best in college football history)
4.  Ranked #3 going into the last game of the season in 2011 with a chance to play our way into the NC game

No. Good coach not debatable. Legend whom we should never get over is the debate. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on September 20, 2017, 03:22:52 pm
I agree Eastex. Petrino's biggest problem on defense was he kept Willy Robinson as DC too long. He and Willy parted ways in 2011  right after the regular season and the improvement in the defense under the new DC was already very noticeable against a top 10 ranked Kansas State team in the Cotton Bowl.

WR had little to work with in 08 and 09. Those underclassmen became effective as Jrs and Srs. 

Tusks

I don't know about legendary but he's the best or 2nd best coach to be on the hill since JFB retired.  He had the best 3 year run for the Hogs since joining the SEC and finished #5, the highest since Holtz finished #3 in 77.

So maybe better than 'good'.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tusked on September 20, 2017, 03:34:48 pm

I don't know about legendary but he's the best or 2nd best coach to be on the hill since JFB retired.  He had the best 3 year run for the Hogs since joining the SEC and finished #5, the highest since Holtz finished #3 in 77.

Best Xs and Os. Not in Broyles class as a program builder. If Lou had been as focused as he was at ND he was as talented.   

Augustus

I swear to God, it took me 3 times of reading the title on this thread...

before I realized the title wasn't "Petrino Leftovers"

... I was scrolling past on the main forum, thinking:  "Yeah, I want no part of that"

Wildhog

Quote from: Augustus on September 20, 2017, 03:43:45 pm

... I was scrolling past on the main forum, thinking:  "Yeah, I want no part of that"

I'm here for the scraps!

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgtime

amen AND offensive play makers were jumping at the chance to play for us.  I didn't sweat it when we had to score, I knew that we had a 90
% chance of doing just that!!!

oh well

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgtime on September 20, 2017, 04:52:43 pm
amen AND offensive play makers were jumping at the chance to play for us.  I didn't sweat it when we had to score, I knew that we had a 90

oh well

Offensive playmakers were?   

IronHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 20, 2017, 03:18:02 pm
The 14 defense was made to look better by the poor qbs faced that season. Been a theme with our defense under BB.  Bad qb play and we may have a chance.   

Alabama has looked better then they really are the past few years due to poor QB play in the SEC.

Want to win at Arkansas?  Get a coach that can get good QBs on the field!
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

gchamblee

Quote from: Augustus on September 20, 2017, 03:43:45 pm

i lol'd

RebHog

Well would this not make him a legendary coach at Arkansas? That is a sad statement though cause his stint was so short and ended the way it did(bad look for everybody involved) but really in Arkansas history who else is there?

PonderinHog

Quote from: RebHog on September 20, 2017, 08:10:31 pm
Well would this not make him a legendary coach at Arkansas? That is a sad statement though cause his stint was so short and ended the way it did(bad look for everybody involved) but really in Arkansas history who else is there?
Unfortunately, he was more infamous than legendary.

LZH

I honestly think, with a few weeks to prepare, Bobby Petrino would have whipped TCU's ass. That's just the difference I see in between the two coaches. Frankly, I think he could take Arkansas's second team offense and score at will against our first-team defense. Light me up however you wish, i know he is gone but we need another whiz kid to be able to compete like that again.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: IronHog on September 20, 2017, 05:15:50 pm

Alabama has looked better then they really are the past few years due to poor QB play in the SEC.

Want to win at Arkansas?  Get a coach that can get good QBs on the field!

We have a good qb. Just poor coaching. O line is terrible, recievers are also not very good, and the head coach stares out into space often on the side lines.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

RebHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 20, 2017, 08:13:32 pm
Unfortunately, he was more infamous than legendary.

I hope we get some success that will make your statement true for me but it we have another Nutt era run which we are headed down at this point I think it cements his position. Hopefully I am wrong cause I don't want to see this whether it be CBB or who winning will make his stint be a distant memory.

LZH

Quote from: RebHog on September 20, 2017, 08:51:25 pm
I hope we get some success that will make your statement true for me but it we have another Nutt era run which we are headed down at this point I think it cements his position. Hopefully I am wrong cause I don't want to see this whether it be CBB or who winning will make his stint be a distant memory.

Oh, cement is in his future.

mckinneyhog5

Uh no he didn't, Hatfield was 29-8 from 87-89 and we fired him, not because he slept with a direct subordinate. We fired Hatfield because he couldn't win the big one. His last two years at Arkansas he went 10-2 followed by another 10-2 season. Ended his career at Arkansas with a 55-17-1 record.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: LZH on September 20, 2017, 08:18:16 pm
I honestly think, with a few weeks to prepare, Bobby Petrino would have whipped TCU's ass. That's just the difference I see in between the two coaches. Frankly, I think he could take Arkansas's second team offense and score at will against our first-team defense. Light me up however you wish, i know he is gone but we need another whiz kid to be able to compete like that again.
Oh yeah, no doubt about it...CBP & the Hogs would have won 35-17.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 20, 2017, 09:01:48 pm
Uh no he didn't, Hatfield was 29-8 from 87-89 and we fired him, not because he slept with a direct subordinate. We fired Hatfield because he couldn't win the big one. His last two years at Arkansas he went 10-2 followed by another 10-2 season.

That isn't quite the reason he was fired. He was fired because he didn't obey Frank. See, Nutt did exactly what Paw Paw asked all the way to every monday, Hootie made that long walk and while discussing next week's game plan, he did Paw Paw's nails....

Ken got fired because he didn't take direction.

PRJ

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 09:05:57 pm
That isn't quite the reason he was fired. He was fired because he didn't obey Frank. See, Nutt did exactly what Paw Paw asked all the way to every monday, Hootie made that long walk and while discussing next week's game plan, he did Paw Paw's nails....

PRJ
Regardless, Hatfield had a better run than BP.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

LZH

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 20, 2017, 09:05:29 pm
Oh yeah, no doubt about it...CBP & the Hogs would have won 35-17.

Bobby would have had those receivers timing just right, he would have watched 40 hours of video, and he would have been playing chess while Patterson was playing checkers. Petrino thinks three and four plays down the road. Not too many guys can do that.

And don't get me wrong, Enos is one hell of a play collar and a good quarterback coach. But Petrino is top 10 at least. Those guys are hard to come by, unfortunately he thought he was bigger than the program and screwed himself out of a possible SEC Championship.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 20, 2017, 09:07:13 pm
Regardless, Hatfield had a better run than BP.
Yeah, back in those days, 10 was more than 11. And although Kenny never had a team finish in the top 5, he still had a better run. ;)

hawganatic

Quote from: hawgtime on September 20, 2017, 04:52:43 pm

oh well

Yeah it was fun knowing that we could score on any drive, any play.  Made the game a lot more fun to watch.

Right now I'm happy when we pick up a first down.

hawganatic

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 20, 2017, 09:05:57 pm

PRJ

Seriously man, show some respect and drop the "Paw Paw."  Just the classy thing to do at this point.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hawganatic on September 20, 2017, 10:18:12 pm
Seriously man, show some respect and drop the "Paw Paw."  Just the classy thing to do at this point.
Nah, he hates all things Razorbacks..well besides BP.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 20, 2017, 10:23:35 pm
Nah, he hates all things Razorbacks..well besides BP.

I don't hate anything Razorback nor am I infatuated with Bobby Petrino. You are wrong on both accounts but I should expect nothing less from a dude who loves a coach so much, you strain your thumbs with rebuttal after rebuttal to anyone who points out anything short of wanting a statue built of him....

PRJ

johnny cash

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 03:13:41 pm
This sort of thing is repeated over and over.  Here are the facts:

In Petrino's third and fourth years at Arkansas, playing most his own recruits and with his staff's coaching, his teams gave up the following in SEC games:

2010  28.1 points per game
2011  24.6 ppg

In Bielema's third and fourth seasons, when he was playing mostly his own recruits and with his staff's coaching, his teams gave up:

2015  30.1 ppg
2016  37.3 ppg

Consider that Petrino's defenses put up those numbers playing opposite his offense, while Bielema's gave up more points despite the fact that he tries to run clock time on offense.

Oddly enough, Bielema's best defense was the 2014 unit that featured, among others:

Trey Flowers...Petrino recruit.  I said at the time he was the best overall player in the SEC.  Patriots fans might agree
Darius Philon...Petrino recruit
Deatrich Wise...Petrino recruit
Taiwan Johnson...Petrino recruit
Rohan Gaines...Petrino recruit
Tevin Mitchell...Petrino recruit
Martrell Spaight...Bielema recruit
Brooks Ellis...Bielema recruit

Petrino left Bielema Flowers, Philon, Chris Smith, Robert Thomas, Wise, and Johnson on the defensive line.  Name six Bielema defensive line recruits as salty as that group. 

That Petrino never recruited for or cared about defense is yet another myth that is gladly spread by two groups of people...those with an agenda and those ignorant enough to believe what the people with agendas tell them.

please don't put facts in here. It will ruin this whole website.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 20, 2017, 09:01:48 pm
Uh no he didn't, Hatfield was 29-8 from 87-89 and we fired him,

Might want to check your facts there big guy, Hatfield wasn't fired, he quit to take the Clemson job.

hamsam

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 20, 2017, 10:53:40 pm
Might want to check your facts there big guy, Hatfield wasn't fired, he quit to take the Clemson job.

This is hogville... why bother with facts?!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 20, 2017, 10:53:40 pm
Nutt wasn't fired either, right? He quit and took the Ole Miss job.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on September 20, 2017, 03:22:52 pm
I agree Eastex. Petrino's biggest problem on defense was he kept Willy Robinson as DC too long. He and Willy parted ways in 2011  right after the regular season and the improvement in the defense under the new DC was already very noticeable against a top 10 ranked Kansas State team in the Cotton Bowl.

With a one dimensional QB who couldn't throw.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GuvHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 21, 2017, 07:45:29 am
Nutt wasn't fired either, right? He quit and took the Ole Miss job.

Different situation. Kenny had a new Razorback Head Coach contract sitting on his desk in the BAC for his signature when he resigned and went to Clemson. Nutt was told either resign and take the buyout or be fired.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on September 20, 2017, 03:27:09 pm

Frank use to take us to the Cotton Bowl when it was one of four New Years Day bowls. There was no BCS, but it was one of the tops just like BCS.

So Frank was doing it numerous times.

Casey Dick. While BP did a great job you have to consider we called the other coach QB Killa for a reason. Your "facts" are why we have so many pages.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 03:13:41 pm
This sort of thing is repeated over and over.  Here are the facts:

In Petrino's third and fourth years at Arkansas, playing most his own recruits and with his staff's coaching, his teams gave up the following in SEC games:

2010  28.1 points per game
2011  24.6 ppg

In Bielema's third and fourth seasons, when he was playing mostly his own recruits and with his staff's coaching, his teams gave up:

2015  30.1 ppg
2016  37.3 ppg

Consider that Petrino's defenses put up those numbers playing opposite his offense, while Bielema's gave up more points despite the fact that he tries to run clock time on offense.

Oddly enough, Bielema's best defense was the 2014 unit that featured, among others:

Trey Flowers...Petrino recruit.  I said at the time he was the best overall player in the SEC.  Patriots fans might agree
Darius Philon...Petrino recruit
Deatrich Wise...Petrino recruit
Taiwan Johnson...Petrino recruit
Rohan Gaines...Petrino recruit
Tevin Mitchell...Petrino recruit
Martrell Spaight...Bielema recruit
Brooks Ellis...Bielema recruit

Petrino left Bielema Flowers, Philon, Chris Smith, Robert Thomas, Wise, and Johnson on the defensive line.  Name six Bielema defensive line recruits as salty as that group. 

That Petrino never recruited for or cared about defense is yet another myth that is gladly spread by two groups of people...those with an agenda and those ignorant enough to believe what the people with agendas tell them.

Toxichog made the same point I did in this thread. Louisville fans are saying BP 2.0 isn't as good as 1.0. ATL mentioned being in a tougher conference is also responsible.

The three of us have not compared him to BB. I simply don't put BP on a pedestal.

GuvHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 21, 2017, 07:51:14 am

The Arkansas defense made him that way on that night. They weren't ranked in the Top 10 going into the Cotton Bowl that year for no reason.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 08:01:21 am
You talking about KSU's QB Kaepernick?? The guy was drafted by an HFL team and was a starter but destroyed his career when he chose to kneel for the National Anthem in protest. He could pass.

Dude...he didn't play for KState...he played for Nevada...delete this cuz you are gonna get roasted Guv...

PRJ

Ex-Trumpet

You talking about KSU's QB Kaepernick?? The guy was drafted by an HFL team and was a starter but destroyed his career when he chose to kneel for the National Anthem in protest. He could pass.

This is gold.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ChitownHawg

The Arkansas defense made him that way on that night. They weren't ranked in the Top 10 going into the Cotton Bowl that year for no reason.

Really? What was his total passing yards and completion percentage? How many tds to ints?

GuvHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 21, 2017, 08:04:59 am
Dude...he didn't play for KState...he played for Nevada...delete this cuz you are gonna get roasted Guv...

PRJ

You're right. It was Collin Klein not Colin Kaepernick that played for K- State.

GuvHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 21, 2017, 08:16:26 am
Really? What was his total passing yards and completion percentage? How many tds to ints?

He threw for 173 yards and 1 TD against the Hogs. That's how good the Hogs Defense was that night.

Gonzo

Man, y'all remember that time Matt Ryan led the Hogs to a huge win in Austin then went on to big things with the Carolina Panthers? ;)

Go Hogs!

ChitownHawg

I think you are accurate.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 08:21:28 am
He threw for 173 yards and 1 TD against the Hogs. That's how good the Hogs Defense was that night.

Are you sure you have the right stats for the right QB this time?

I checked too and he was a bit better that year passing than I remember. Not sure what happened but he has 1900 his junior year and 2600 his senior.

But his forte was running.

GuvHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 21, 2017, 08:33:02 am
Are you sure you have the right stats for the right QB this time?

I checked too and he was a bit better that year passing than I remember. Not sure what happened but he has 1900 his junior year and 2600 his senior.

But his forte was running.

Yeah, he was a dual threat QB but the Arkansas defense held him to less than a hundred yards rushing that night. The passing stats I listed are correct per Wikipedia.

IndianaHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 21, 2017, 07:51:14 am

So CBP win is diminished because he beat a QB recruited for that offense that was top 10 team in the country? Hogville logic smh

hogfanincajunland

QuoteRegardless, Hatfield had a better run than BP.

Hatfield vs. Petrino last three years at Arkansas

Hatfield = 29-8

Petrino = 29-10

Yes, obviously Hatfield had a better run. Give me a break.  ??? :P