Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tonight's game

Started by AFWarrior83, March 19, 2017, 06:11:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

I know UNC will be a huge challenge, but a win tonight would show the world of College basketball that the Razorbacks have finally returned to being relevant again.  Idk about you guys, but to me this game almost seems like a must win if we want to be considered a contender on the national stage going forward.  We need to get back to the sweet 16!  That momentum along with the incoming recruits would skyrocket our program to the next level.
Hogville member since 2005.

blu

I wouldn't call it a must win. Big win for sure - every win from here on out is gravy this year.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Not a must win but if we won, it would send a signal throughout the BB world.  A well played game with all out effort is actually more important in my opinion.  We win the BB world will say NC overlooked us, including me saying that.  If we play excellent hard fought, max effort BB and come close or win, then the BB world has to acknowledge that.

1highhog

Well, I'll say it's a game that's a much needed win for a fan base that has become used to mediocrity.  A whole generation has grown up not knowing anything about just how great Razorback Basketball once was.  Even dating back to the Eddie Sutton years, we could lay back in our recliners, favorite beverage in hand, with at least a 90% chance we were assured a win, that's how much confidence I had in our team and two Coaches we had throughout those years.  So tonight's game, even though with this team I just about have zero confidence in because I never know which team will show up to the game, I give them about a 10% chance of winning tonight.  All year long I've been waiting on Kingsley to have a game like he did against Seton Hall, he'll need another just like it against N.C.  Hannahs, Macon, will have to come out of their shooting slump and fire on all cylinders, something they haven't come close to the last two games, and Barford will need to be possessed like he was against Seton Hall.  We need huge defensive help from Watkins and Beard plus what offensive help they bring to their maximum ability.  That, in other words, is something we haven't seen from this team all at once.  If this team could play with all cylinders clicking, they could beat anyone in the tournament.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: 1highhog on March 19, 2017, 06:40:45 am
Well, I'll say it's a game that's a much needed win for a fan base that has become used to mediocrity.  A whole generation has grown up not knowing anything about just how great Razorback Basketball once was.  Even dating back to the Eddie Sutton years, we could lay back in our recliners, favorite beverage in hand, with at least a 90% chance we were assured a win, that's how much confidence I had in our team and two Coaches we had throughout those years.  So tonight's game, even though with this team I just about have zero confidence in because I never know which team will show up to the game, I give them about a 10% chance of winning tonight.  All year long I've been waiting on Kingsley to have a game like he did against Seton Hall, he'll need another just like it against N.C.  Hannahs, Macon, will have to come out of their shooting slump and fire on all cylinders, something they haven't come close to the last two games, and Barford will need to be possessed like he was against Seton Hall.  We need huge defensive help from Watkins and Beard plus what offensive help they bring to their maximum ability.  That, in other words, is something we haven't seen from this team all at once.  If this team could play with all cylinders clicking, they could beat anyone in the tournament.
I'll second this one, especially this part.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

LZH

We used to win our fair share of these games, and there was a stretch in the early-to-mid 90's that the only way anyone could beat us was to get red hot shooting the ball or to outrebound us (which happened quite a bit).

Tonight I'm afraid that we're gonna get blown out.  I just don't have much confidence in us against a team like UNC.  I don't remember the last time we beat a top five team, but it's been a while.  We played really well Friday, and if we can repeat that and keep them from getting put-backs then I'd love to see how it shakes out.  Unfortunately, I think we fold.  We've wanted this opportunity to 'prove ourselves', but I'm afraid that we'll get what we asked for.

I'll be OK if we play balls out, don't stand around waiting to jack up a three, get mean on the boards (if you foul, get your money's worth), and no player disappears (c'mon BK).  It's not impossible for us to play like this and get beat by 25 points, but it's alot less likely.  I just hope we give them all they can handle....I wanna win more than anything, but given the recent (lack of) success I'll live if we go down swinging.

GlassofSwine

I don't think Arkansas has to win to gain a measure of national relevance.  If we play a great game and lose we will win some respect. No one thinks we have a shot in this game. I just want to see them leave it all on the court.  :razorback:

TexArkHogFan

I watched the Villanova-Wisconsin game yesterday.  We could have beaten either one of those teams. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

ArkansasI

Good teams lose all the time. Villanova is out. North Carolina has lost 7 (I think) games this year.

In order to win, we need to play great defense - Rotate! No open shots and defend the basket - and get the best play possible from Thomas, Thompson and Cook.

We don't need a miracle. We need determination and to meet our assignments.

BTW, Florida held Virginia to 39 points last night. D 'em up!

Hoggish1

daBoar

Hollywood_HOGan45

One thing that gives me hope is Joel Berry's injury. He may play but I don't think he will be at full strength.

Our guards have to be hitting with NO scoring droughts!

1highhog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on March 19, 2017, 08:38:49 am
I watched the Villanova-Wisconsin game yesterday.  We could have beaten either one of those teams. 

Neither one of those teams IMO could beat N.C

rzrbcksooie

Razorback basketball is not "back". Win or lose tonight it was a great season. But an 8 seed does not mean we're back. I feel that next year and the following year will prove we are back.  I love this team but we still need more talent. Good thing it is on the way...

Appreciative of Hannahs and Kingsley. Solid players that helped bring back the excitement that will take us to the next level.

JONAS

Quote from: 1highhog on March 19, 2017, 06:40:45 am

You are correct.  I was talking with a young guy the other day.  He had no clue that the Hogs had been to 6 Final Fours and won the 1994 National Championship.  This guys was not that young either.  He was born in the mid 80s.

Biggus Piggus

We have little chance, but we're here.
[CENSORED]!

hogman99

Quote from: 12247 on March 19, 2017, 06:29:42 am
Not a must win but if we won, it would send a signal throughout the BB world.  A well played game with all out effort is actually more important in my opinion.  We win the BB world will say NC overlooked us, including me saying that.  If we play excellent hard fought, max effort BB and come close or win, then the BB world has to acknowledge that.

???

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged