Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No respect from Heel fans.

Started by rhog1, March 18, 2017, 03:10:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: lefty08 on March 19, 2017, 12:28:58 am
Why do you think arkansas wears out before they do?  Just curious

Seton Hall was a good example of what Andersons fastest 40 minutes is supposed to accomplish, wearing down a numerically inferior team until they get mistake prone.  This aggressive style of play usually has some negative effect on Arkansas shooting accuracy as the game goes on but it also leads to mistakes by the opponent who can't keep up.

Unfortunately he employs the exact same style against teams that are deeper, rebound better and shoot about as well, and are less foul prone.  When those other teams withstand the onslaught Anderson pushes his own team harder and harder and they almost always wear themselves out first.

CMA's approach is not unlike what Nolan did successfully in his first decade.  The difference is that CMA doesn't have the talent advantage Richardson had at the time against all but a few teams and more importantly Richardson had a tremendous advantage in this his style played into rules changes (shot clock & 3pt rule).  Rules changes that threw out the established game before 1985 into a game that favored aggressive attacking teams and played to CNR's style. 

CMA's style is inflexible.  When he plays that style for the full 40 minuets one team or both will wear down.  The year to year talent fluctuations determine if his teams will be slightly above or below average.  This year he's recruited a bunch of players that are not just athletes but have a sense of the game.  That helps against ordinary teams but not much against national contenders.  Unless he is very lucky, catching a good opponent not ready to play in an NCAAT situation, most of the time the good opponent will not fold under pressure and CMA's team will exhaust itself in high stakes games just like today. 

If Arkansas is ever to compete again with this style of play the talent level has to be much, much higher. Higher even the what Nolan could assemble given CMA isn't coaching in an era of favorable rules changes.  Otherwise all that the best of CMA's teams will do is just enough to tease the fans into believing in just one more year. 

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: JayHog on March 18, 2017, 04:21:51 pm
We've won all year by winning the second half of our games. Why? Because our depth wore most teams down. That's what we do. Dance with who brought you. Let's try to wear them down and hope that our bench and outscore their bench. If we can keep it to single digits most of the game and it gets down to the last 10 minutes, anything can happen. But we need to stick to what we do (and that's to wear teams down and win the 2nd half)
Our bench scored zero points against Seton Hall.  Luckily we still won thanks to Moses.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

870hogfan

Quote from: 12247 on March 19, 2017, 07:02:35 am
We got exactly one chance at winning this game.  1.  Their players take us totally lightly and we play 4 quarters of Total Effort Ball.  That could happen.

You mean 2 halves?

hogcam

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on March 19, 2017, 09:03:54 am
Our bench scored zero points against Seton Hall.  Luckily we still won thanks to Moses.
Our bench did not score zero points

TeufelHog

Why should they give us any respect?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: TeufelHog on March 19, 2017, 10:27:46 am
Why should they give us any respect?
Because the slobberin' Hog beat the greatest UNC team of all time...that's why...matter of fact we beat their second greatest team of all time, too    Now if only the past mattered for the present
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Brandon72

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2017, 03:46:01 pm
MA's teams can beat anyone just like they can lose to anyone.

To be fair, other than the UNCONN women and Geno Auriemma every team and coach would fall under this statement.   

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 19, 2017, 10:49:19 am
Because the slobberin' Hog beat the greatest UNC team of all time...that's why...matter of fact we beat their second greatest team of all time, too    Now if only the past mattered for the present
This ^^^^ I like, but respect seems to be a, "what have you done for me lately" thing.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

niels_boar

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 19, 2017, 08:51:56 am

CMA's style is inflexible.  When he plays that style for the full 40 minuets one team or both will wear down.  The year to year talent fluctuations determine if his teams will be slightly above or below average.  This year he's recruited a bunch of players that are not just athletes but have a sense of the game.  That helps against ordinary teams but not much against national contenders.  Unless he is very lucky, catching a good opponent not ready to play in an NCAAT situation, most of the time the good opponent will not fold under pressure and CMA's team will exhaust itself in high stakes games just like today. 

That's just not true.  CMA actually slowed the pace considerably this season.  We were 9th in the SEC in possessions per game this season.  In fact, A&M, Vandy, and Bama were the only teams that played significantly slower than we did.  He modulated the defense to fit the opponent in many instances.  We went 5-0 against the top-4 OReb teams in the SEC.

Where we run into problems is against teams that have long athletes with skill, especially if they have an uber-quick PG.  We're small on the wing, not particularly athletic at the #4, and have inherent offensive-defensive tradeoffs at guard.  Most systems have trouble against teams that are longer and faster with skill.  Virginia's ultra-fundamental D didn't do a lot to slow UF. A true SF like Day that can score would do wonders.  The better length would allow us to reduce the tradeoffs between challenging shots and rebounding.  We also could use another flat-out burner at guard.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

code red

It would be the upset of the tourney.  I see us losing by 20.  The rebounding disperity will be staggering.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: niels_boar on March 19, 2017, 12:10:44 pm
That's just not true.  CMA actually slowed the pace considerably this season.

That is because CMA had more confidence in his team and more importantly he faced very few truly must win game situations this year.  Today is must win.  Against UNC it will be all out from the start because CMA doesn't have THAT much confidence in his team against a team is talented as UNC.

lefty08

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 19, 2017, 01:05:30 pm
That is because CMA had more confidence in his team and more importantly he faced very few truly must win game situations this year.  Today is must win.  Against UNC it will be all out from the start because CMA doesn't have THAT much confidence in his team against a team is talented as UNC.

Are you drunk?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

niels_boar

I'm not expecting us to walk it up the court.  On D we seem to only have least-bad options unless UNC helps us. Might as well do what's best for the O.  Now watch it be a grinder.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

alohawg

Quote from: code red on March 19, 2017, 12:33:19 pm
It would be the upset of the tourney.  I see us losing by 20.  The rebounding disperity will be staggering.

Yep, if ever there were a game that both Kingsley and Thompson should be in a lot of minutes together, this is it.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Inhogswetrust

The only time there is a must win for a coach is IF he losses that game he gets fired. Mike has not had a must win game since coming to Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GoHogs1091

Quote from: cram224 on March 19, 2017, 06:17:56 am
Thought I would help you a little bit. CMA's record against top ten programs is 6 wins and 34 loses.

He had 1 win and 9 losses against Kansas when he was at Missouri.

This North Carolina team is probably better than some of those Kansas teams.

Inhogswetrust

March 19, 2017, 04:40:07 pm #66 Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:17:37 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: cram224 on March 19, 2017, 06:17:56 am
Thought I would help you a little bit. CMA's record against top ten programs is 6 wins and 34 loses.

MOST coaches would have a losing record against top 10 teams unless they also have consistent top 10 teams themselves. But that is not a good record for him. Lets hope he can start to turn that stat around!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nchogg

As the old saying goes. "Never say never". It will be a tough game. The Hogs need their A game. I want them to win as bad as anyone else. Playing them for a 3rd time could give us a bit of a chip on our shoulder. Go Hogs! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Scott7703

Quote from: code red on March 19, 2017, 12:33:19 pm

So far you are right on the money.

Albert Swinestein

My daughter is a student at UNC Chapel Hill.  She is at the game and texted me that the size advantage is as large as she has seen since their early season, pre-ACC games.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 19, 2017, 10:49:19 am

But Jeff Long banished Slobberin Hog
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

southarkhog06

They will act smug like it was never in doubt, but they were emotional wrecks for a few minutes there.