Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Explanation of Flagrant Foul Against Seton Hall

Started by moses_007, March 17, 2017, 07:36:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

This says it all.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/here%e2%80%99s-the-official-explanation-for-the-controversial-flagrant-foul-call-in-the-seton-hall-game/ar-BByicvE?li=BBnb7Kz

moses_007

What's amazing is that this call went in our favor, after we committed two flagrant's at the end of the Kentucky game.

Hoggish1

Quote from: moses_007 on March 17, 2017, 07:44:02 pm
What's amazing is that this call went in our favor, after we committed two flagrant's at the end of the Kentucky game.

Well, one out of infinity ain't bad.

GS99

Maybe this was pointed out in one of the other threads, but I was out of state, driving, and listening to the national radio broadcast of the game with John Thompson. They had it as a flagrant from the second it happened and kept saying it was the right call.

TheEnemy

How could you argue that as a bad call?

He tripped and pushed him from behind.  It was completely intentional and was not any kind of basketball move or fundamental

jbigs77

I think it was a bad call. The SH player pushed with both hands and tripped him. It should have been a ejection. But at least he called it a flagrant. The announcer was obliviously for Seton Hall. And by the way the head officials was there. Humm. wish he was at all our games. First time we got justice all year. By the way SEC refs are not honest. If they was we would be a 3 seed. Just sayin.

Stewhog 11

Wow, according to that description he gave of the rule, that could be in a training video for young officials for what a F1 is. Now if people don't like the actual rule that's fine, but it was called exactly how it should no question.

Wild Bill Hog

hogcard1964

He knocked the sh&® out of him.  It was flagrant.   

Game over.

rude1

Anyone who knows anything about the rule should know it was correctly called. Change the rule if you don't like it, but the rule clearly says you must be playing the ball or the player, pushing him in the back after you are beaten is not playing the ball or player.........

Moses against UK - not flagrant. Maybe not a foul.
Seton Hall today - should be ejected

Uberanubis

Quote from: GS99 on March 17, 2017, 08:09:19 pm
Maybe this was pointed out in one of the other threads, but I was out of state, driving, and listening to the national radio broadcast of the game with John Thompson. They had it as a flagrant from the second it happened and kept saying it was the right call.

off topic but i loved listening to the calls on the national network. sooo much better then our less then steller color men
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Cmheinley

The difference between Arkansas and Kentucky fans. We won't seek out every form of social media to throw a bytch fit about that foul. Kentucky fans are the most entitles cry babies I have ever seen. WPS! great win!

Cmheinley

moses_007

The TV announcers kept saying it was just an accidental trip.  As Nolan used to say, a blind man could see that... (that it was flagrant.......)

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Karma on March 17, 2017, 08:42:23 pm
Moses against UK - not flagrant. Maybe not a foul.
Seton Hall today - should be ejected

Moses against UK - clearly flagrant, arguably flagrant two, but irrelevant since it was #2 on him.
Seton Hall today - it was a flagrant one, clearly not a two.  No ejection for flagrant one.

0/2
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

rtr

The rest of the nation hates Arkansas, been that way since 1836,
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

upperdeck_hawg

did anyone else see that Macon took three steps before dribbling before the flagrant
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2017, 08:36:07 pm
Anyone who knows anything about the rule should know it was correctly called. Change the rule if you don't like it, but the rule clearly says you must be playing the ball or the player, pushing him in the back after you are beaten is not playing the ball or player.........
This. Letter of the law its a flagrant. I don't think it was dirty or think he tripped Barford on purpose. But clearly not a basketball play and a F1. We've had F1's called on is for less.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

niels_boar

Geezus, refs don't let that call go...ever.  It's just that 99.9% of college basketball players know not to shove a ballhandler to the ground from behind when trying to stop the clock.  Rodriquez should be thanking his lucky stars that he isn't getting the pile-on for an idiotic play like Fisher-Davis.  Nevermind that it made a one point and one second difference in the game.  If Seton Hall had made that trey, the game would have been in the same situation with only 4 seconds off the clock.  They didn't score in last 1:45. 

I guess had that foul not been called correctly Seton Hall would obviously have made their first three-pointer in 11 minutes, stopped us on a last possession, and then won OT with an exhausted and foul troubled lineup after having been outscored 23-9 in the last 10 minutes.  Otherwise, yeah, it decided the game.  What a load of click-bait crap.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

jm

Quote from: niels_boar on March 18, 2017, 12:33:39 am
Geezus, refs don't let that call go...ever.  It's just that 99.9% of college basketball players know not to shove a ballhandler to the ground from behind when trying to stop the clock.  Rodriquez should be thanking his lucky stars that he isn't getting the pile-on for an idiotic play like Fisher-Davis.  Nevermind that it made a one point and one second difference in the game.  If Seton Hall had made that trey, the game would have been in the same situation with only 4 seconds off the clock.  They didn't score in last 1:45. 

I guess had that foul not been called correctly Seton Hall would obviously have made their first three-pointer in 11 minutes, stopped us on a last possession, and then won OT with an exhausted and foul troubled lineup after having been outscored 23-9 in the last 10 minutes.  Otherwise, yeah, it decided the game.  What a load of click-bait crap.

It could have made the difference in the game. There is a big difference in pressure  when you are at the line up 1 and up 1 knowing you get the ball if you miss. To change one call  or for any one play could be the difference in a one point game in the final minute.

TippecanoeHawg

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 18, 2017, 12:07:57 am
did anyone else see that Macon took three steps before dribbling before the flagrant

Sure did.

niels_boar

Quote from: jm on March 18, 2017, 12:08:14 pm
It could have made the difference in the game. There is a big difference in pressure  when you are at the line up 1 and up 1 knowing you get the ball if you miss. To change one call  or for any one play could be the difference in a one point game in the final minute.

There's also a big difference in shooting FTs alone at the line.  Barford has been an 80% FT shooter since January.  Not exactly like the odds were with Seton Hall that he miss the front end. It helped, but this notion that the refs are supposed to ignore the rulebook in order to make a more exciting game is BS.  Arkansas would have had more to complain about than SH if they hadn't made the call.  I was yelling flagrant as soon as it happened, not because of the trip, but because of the shove.  You have to make at least a half-hearted attempt to play the ball.   
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

moses_007

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 18, 2017, 12:07:57 am
I didn't see that, and glad the ref's missed it too............

Nova didn't get the flagrant call in the favor. No attempt on the ball. Same rule as our game. Except it's never called to the letter.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Karma on March 18, 2017, 04:07:41 pm
Nova didn't get the flagrant call in the favor. No attempt on the ball. Same rule as our game. Except it's never called to the letter.

You are absolutely as clueless as they come.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

moses_007

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 17, 2017, 11:17:53 pm
Moses against UK - clearly flagrant, arguably flagrant two, but irrelevant since it was #2 on him.
Seton Hall today - it was a flagrant one, clearly not a two.  No ejection for flagrant one.

0/2
Moses' foul appeared to be entirely accidental.  He went up to deny the shot and accidently came down on the KY player's face.  That type of thing happens all the time in basketball. 

my3boneheads

It was flagrant. The media keeps saying but what if. It's not what if it's what actually happened.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.