Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beard is a mystery

Started by Like it is, March 17, 2017, 06:10:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Like it is

What has happened to Anton Beard ? He's gained weight and gotten slower ! Who else has noticed that other than me ????? He can't attack & score off the dribble and at one time was one of our best ball defenders ! Surely he & the coaches see that with the naked eye & on film . He needs to wake up and realize his Senior year is right around the corner ! He , along with Trey T could make a HUGE difference!!!!

Stewhog 11

He hasn't been the same since the incident. A lot of people have written him off but I definitely have not. I have no doubt that he will. Hopefully Sunday, but I really look for him to be a key contributor next year. He won't average double digits ppg, but he has the potential to be a difference maker as a distributor, and more importantly a defender. His freshman year that's all he did and there were games late in the year where he was the x factor guy. Steals, diving for loose balls, that's his game and I look for him to find it again before he's done.

Like it is

What about how slow he's gotten though !

Like it is

I say lay off the adult beverages & the late night McDonald's paads!!!

AlmaHog2011

Nothing has happened he's the same as he always have been.
Why he plays at all is a mystery. He's got to have the all time record for getting his shot blocked. I'm sorry but no way Jones wouldn't be doing a whole lot better with those minutes. I would put the walkon in before I played Beard. We were up by 5 he goes in and before he is subbed out we trailed by 8. Best game we played all year is at South Carolina and that's because Mike couldn't play him he was sick.

I am completely dumbfounded as to why Mike keeps playing him????

old_school_hawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 17, 2017, 06:31:11 pm
Why he plays at all is a mystery. He's got to have the all time record for getting his shot blocked. I'm sorry but no way Jones wouldn't be doing a whole lot better with those minutes. I would put the walkon in before I played Beard. We were up by 5 he goes in and before he is subbed out we trailed by 8. Best game we played all year is at South Carolina and that's because Mike couldn't play him he was sick.

Amen. Totally agree.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Stewhog 11

This year he's 6th in minutes per game, 5th in points per game, 3rd in assists, 3rd in assists to turnover ratio, 4th in steals. He's been better than you give him credit for.

Like it is

BrooklynRoss

His entire identity for the past 12 or so years has been tied to basketball and his performance therein. Two better players at his position were brought in this year. It's tough to deal with that, but I have faith that he'll be fine and find his role. We're going to need him firing on all cylinders next year.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

bhogs05

I hope he doesnt touch the court against unc..their guards will absolutely destroy him

Wild Bill Hog

I wonder if he's put on weight trying to maybe get ready for the NBA, and it has slowed him down.  This is the mistake Scotty Thurman made, and it ruined him his last year.

bhogs05

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 17, 2017, 06:47:23 pm
I wonder if he's put on weight trying to maybe get ready for the NBA, and it has slowed him down.  This is the mistake Scotty Thurman made, and it ruined him his last year.

He doesnt have to worry about the nba thats for dang sure

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: bhogs05 on March 17, 2017, 06:48:50 pm
He doesnt have to worry about the nba thats for dang sure

Neither did Scotty.

BoarnSupremacy

I agree that beard hasn't done much at all last dozen games.  He is almost a liability now.

navyhog24

Subject should have been "Beard is a liability".

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 17, 2017, 06:51:49 pm
Subject should have been "Beard is a liability".

Earlier today people were saying the same thing about Thomas.

Stewhog 11

He didn't even play bad today. He didn't score but filled up the stat sheet in other areas.

PonderinHog

Unfortunately, his play is no longer a mystery.  I've come to expect it here lately.  He'll get in there and mix it up on defense, get a deflection/steal or two, but his play his been a net negative for the last several games, lately.  It seems like the offense bogs down when he gets the ball in his hands.  But he hasn't quit, so maybe he breaks out Sunday.  Thomas did today.  Maybe it's his time to fulfill his NCAA experience!

navyhog24

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 17, 2017, 07:00:30 pm
He didn't even play bad today. He didn't score but filled up the stat sheet in other areas.

He turned it over on a fast break for sure. Every time he came in Seton Hall made a run. It will be even worse against UNC.

supersaint

He has discovered the joys of carbohydrates.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

sickboy

Quote from: supersaint on March 17, 2017, 07:16:33 pm
He has discovered the joys of carbohydrates.

Like so many of us in life.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 17, 2017, 07:14:18 pm
He turned it over on a fast break for sure. Every time he came in Seton Hall made a run. It will be even worse against UNC.

I remember the turnover, his only one. Also had 2 assists, 2 steals, a block, and a rebound in 13 minutes.

TomasPistola

Bashing players after a win. Classy.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Hoggish1

I tighten up when he enters the game...

Like it is

Did u actually compare Anton & Scotty ?
Big difference there now !!! Lol

hogwood

Quote from: TomasPistola on March 17, 2017, 07:35:23 pm
Bashing players after a win. Classy.

And dissing his weight? WTH? Trash this.

ChicoHog

He hurts us on defense as he usually makes dumb reach fouls.  Earlier in the year he was making a few 3's and looked good on offense.  Not sure if he has lost confidence of what. 

jesterzzn

I agree with those saying he hasn't changed.  He's not slower.  He's not worse.  We just have better players that make him look it.

I actually like Beard.  The talent gap is large, so he gets crap, but its not his fault he was the best we could do the year we signed him. 

Support him.  He doesn't deserve the crap he gets from some people around here.  I think its weird that some of the older posters are so harsh towards him.  They really need to get some perspective.  It's pathetic.

navyhog24

He gets the crap he gets bc he's soon to be senior making freshmen mistakes constantly

rtr

Still has quick hands, he still makes a lot of steals.  We need him. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on March 17, 2017, 06:46:01 pm
His entire identity for the past 12 or so years has been tied to basketball and his performance therein. Two better players at his position were brought in this year. It's tough to deal with that, but I have faith that he'll be fine and find his role. We're going to need him firing on all cylinders next year.
Your editor would send this back marked, VAGUE. I can't wait to read your published works to my grandchildren because the above is written on a 3rd grade level.

So as not to derail this thread, it's my opinion that Beard has gained weight. If Sir Isaac Newton were alive today and a basketball fan, he could explain the science of Beard's situation with an equation or two.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hog_Fink

i dont get it. he showed a lot of potential his freshman year. i thought he'd be a solid 4yr contributor

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: galactivation on March 17, 2017, 11:43:17 pm
i dont get it. he showed a lot of potential his freshman year. i thought he'd be a solid 4yr contributor
I agree. In his first season #31 looked like he had a lot of promise. I never looked upon him as a star on the team but a valuable piece of the puzzle. It's still possible Anton can salvage his senior season with some off-season conditioning.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 17, 2017, 06:54:10 pm
Earlier today people were saying the same thing about Thomas.
Man this is so true. I was one of those railing on Thomas. Then, BOOM!

I give up on trying to analyze our guys.  I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride whether it be one more game or four.

GO HOGS AND WPS!!!!!!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 17, 2017, 06:39:55 pm
This year he's 6th in minutes per game, 5th in points per game, 3rd in assists, 3rd in assists to turnover ratio, 4th in steals. He's been better than you give him credit for.
Oh no you brought facts to a crap throwing contest, how dare you, these DAs might go into a seizure.

Beard however has played poorly most of the last 10 games, it looks eerily similar to what he did at the end of his Freshman year when you could see he was physically beat down.

synthartist69

Fire Beard, just do it and get it over with. We need scoring and ball handling.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 18, 2017, 12:45:11 am
Oh no you brought facts to a crap throwing contest, how dare you, these DAs might go into a seizure.

Beard however has played poorly most of the last 10 games, it looks eerily similar to what he did at the end of his Freshman year when you could see he was physically beat down.
The time of his demise in play seemingly coincides with the first time I noticed some baby fat around the waist line. Anton depends on being crafty and a quick first step. The craftiness is still there, however the quick first step is not. All I'm saying is the young man needs to lose about 15 to 20 pounds over the Summer so Anton can make his senior season one to remember.

HOGINTENNESSEE

He was much better earlier in the year. Even looked faster.

I'm not sure what has happened.

lynbug

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 17, 2017, 06:39:55 pm
Yeah, I was SHOCKED when I looked at the stats for the year.  Still....just don't put him out there in clutch situations...that's all I ask.

ChicoHog

Quote from: rtr on March 17, 2017, 11:26:51 pm
Still has quick hands, he still makes a lot of steals.  We need him. 
True, but he makes a lot of dumb fouls so it cancels out the steals.

hawg1221

He turns the ball over carelessly and makes bad decisions. I often cringe when he's in the game at critical moments.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 18, 2017, 10:19:52 am
He turns the ball over carelessly and makes bad decisions. I often cringe when he's in the game at critical moments.

At the beginning of the year in non-conference he was our best player in those situations.

Ever since that "illness" around the SC game. He has been a different player. In a negative way

The_Iceman

He has had his good stretches for us and his bad. Right now, he is bad. Looks like he will be a backup again next year. Wonder what kind of development and production we would have gotten out of CJ Jones if he would have gotten Beards minutes.

lynbug

Mike and his renovation projects....hmmmm......sometimes they work out.  Just scary to watch.

cableguy

My pressure literally  goes up everytime Beard goes in the game and comes down when he comes out. He needs to drop the weight. My great-great grandmother has more ups than Beard. He either lose weight next year or he needs to ride the pine.

niels_boar

It's BS that the Beard that we have seen the last few weeks is the same Beard that we have always seen.  He's not playing well now, but he was quite good in the first half of the season.  He scored in double figures in 6 of our first 8 SEC games and was shooting over 40% from the arc.  That's why he worked his way into the starting lineup.  He's only scored in double figures twice since the beginning of February.  I wonder if the shoulder injury earlier in the season is still affecting him.  He seems to have trouble catching and handling the ball.  For his career he has been one of the least TO-prone players on the team.  He's currently playing far below his norm.  Something isn't right - injury, loss of confidence, who knows? 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Nipsey Mussle

Alandise Harris has him beat to hell on that record.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: niels_boar on March 18, 2017, 12:50:05 pm
It's BS that the Beard that we have seen the last few weeks is the same Beard that we have always seen.  He's not playing well now, but he was quite good in the first half of the season.  He scored in double figures in 6 of our first 8 SEC games and was shooting over 40% from the arc.  That's why he worked his way into the starting lineup.  He's only scored in double figures twice since the beginning of February.  I wonder if the shoulder injury earlier in the season is still affecting him.  He seems to have trouble catching and handling the ball.  For his career he has been one of the least TO-prone players on the team.  He's currently playing far below his norm.  Something isn't right - injury, loss of confidence, who knows?

Exactly, obviously he hasn't been playing great but way he is trashed on here is sad. You'd think he wasn't a razorback basketball player, ya know, trying to help us win. Critique is fine, but that's not what a lot of this crap is. I really don't understand all the hate, especially at a time like this. It doesn't do any good.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: niels_boar on March 18, 2017, 12:50:05 pm
Good call, he played well early in the season and we needed him badly in those games. If he doesn't step up in the beginning of the season, we may not be in the dance right now. Not to mention, the leadership he provided early in the season when everyone was finding their role.

I'm not sure what has caused his down turn, but it could be confidence. Barford and Macon are now playing above Beard's ceiling, and that can't be good for one's self-esteem. I still believe he can help us against UNC as well as next season, though.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

His freshman year he played like he had something to prove. He was tenacious and played extremely hard on defense. Now its like hes afraid to drive to the basket and it looks like hes moving in slow motion
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.