Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fly in the NCAA ointment

Started by LRHawg, March 14, 2017, 01:04:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRHawg

The attention we've been receiving of late is interesting. Smart pundits know we were a force to be reckoned with years ago. Most of these pundits are also tied to eastern schools and other big programs of the basketball establishment. There's not much room at the top, and the Razorbacks returning to their previous place would come at the expense of one of the established schools. During our best years, sports television was just getting off the ground. Now, you have programs in the larger tv markets that get the benefit of the exposure sports tv brings.

We are NOT welcome back to where we were. Any attempts to return will be met with resistance from the media and possibly even our conference, at first. Notice Finebaum attempting to silence Mike! He is the SEC mouthpiece. They will ignore us and act like we don't exist at first. When that fails, the insults and put downs come. If we want to get back to where we were, we are going to have to forcibly take it. Notice all the negative press we are getting for a couple of bad fouls. Vitale's comments reflect those of the blue blood schools that don't want Arkansas back. Look at how he responded when we didn't dare lay down and give in to UK!

Finally, I think Mike has had enough and the fire is stoked. What will our intensity and focus look like against Seton Hall? My guess is we come out playing with our hair on fire, win, but lose to UNC in a close one. I don't think the flame is going to burn out though, I think Mike is mad and is going to ride that to an SEC title in two years and an elite 8 appearance. I'm ready to stand with Mike and take back our spot. Are you?

phadedhawg

I do agree they aren't gonna give it to us and of course we wouldn't want them too. 

I'm hoping Mike channels this negative energy into something positive.  Seton Hall ain't that franchise from Lexington.  We have nothing to be afraid of from them.  They've plays lots of good teams so I'm sure they won't back down from us.  Shooting percentage...that's where we will live or die.  We have to limit those droughts that have plagued us all year.  All teams will have a dry spell but so far our defense hasn't been good enough to cover those up for our offense.  That's where intensity could make all the difference. 

Our boys and especially our seniors have just one more chance to make their mark.  Here's hoping they capitalize on the opportunity.

Dirty

Who is the guy that says before a boxing match?  "Let's get ready to rumbllllllleeeeeeee"

Well, I'm ready

code red

We will?  Ok.  I got a different opinion.  We will come out cold.  Get behind early.  We will get called for every foul in the book and lose in the first round.  Sorry that's the way I see it.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

I think your microwave is monitoring you. Better place that tin foil back on your head.

Hoggish1

If Mike is mad and our hair is on fire I say about time.  We've been getting screwed for a very long time in our own conference.

If we win the first tourney game, which I expect, we are going to have to shoot lights out vs NC and play the best defense we've ever played to win. 

Why?  Because, once again, it's going to be 5 vs 8...

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 14, 2017, 01:38:20 pm
If Mike is mad and our hair is on fire I say about time.  We've been getting screwed for a very long time in our own conference.

If we win the first tourney game, which I expect, we are going to have to shoot lights out vs NC and play the best defense we've ever played to win. 

Why?  Because, once again, it's going to be 5 vs 8...

^^^This^^^

Refs will be against us if we play NC just like in the Kentucky game.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: LRHawg on March 14, 2017, 01:04:04 pm
The attention we've been receiving of late is interesting. Smart pundits know we were a force to be reckoned with years ago. Most of these pundits are also tied to eastern schools and other big programs of the basketball establishment. There's not much room at the top, and the Razorbacks returning to their previous place would come at the expense of one of the established schools. During our best years, sports television was just getting off the ground. Now, you have programs in the larger tv markets that get the benefit of the exposure sports tv brings.

We are NOT welcome back to where we were. Any attempts to return will be met with resistance from the media and possibly even our conference, at first. Notice Finebaum attempting to silence Mike! He is the SEC mouthpiece. They will ignore us and act like we don't exist at first. When that fails, the insults and put downs come. If we want to get back to where we were, we are going to have to forcibly take it. Notice all the negative press we are getting for a couple of bad fouls. Vitale's comments reflect those of the blue blood schools that don't want Arkansas back. Look at how he responded when we didn't dare lay down and give in to UK!

Finally, I think Mike has had enough and the fire is stoked. What will our intensity and focus look like against Seton Hall? My guess is we come out playing with our hair on fire, win, but lose to UNC in a close one. I don't think the flame is going to burn out though, I think Mike is mad and is going to ride that to an SEC title in two years and an elite 8 appearance. I'm ready to stand with Mike and take back our spot. Are you?
I love it. +100
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

lstewart

My son and I were talking about this. We should push the "anti-Kentucky" image for us... we don't like them, they don't like us, if they did not offer you a scholarship, come here and go to battle against them. Probably some recruiting inroads to be made as the school that does not get along at all with Kentucky! There is a limit to how many stars they can sign, and the guys that just missed out might like to play for the team they hate.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: code red on March 14, 2017, 01:23:19 pm
We will?  Ok.  I got a different opinion.  We will come out cold.  Get behind early.  We will get called for every foul in the book and lose in the first round.  Sorry that's the way I see it.

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogwood

Quote from: lstewart on March 14, 2017, 01:47:02 pm
My son and I were talking about this. We should push the "anti-Kentucky" image for us... we don't like them, they don't like us, if they did not offer you a scholarship, come here and go to battle against them. Probably some recruiting inroads to be made as the school that does not get along at all with Kentucky! There is a limit to how many stars they can sign, and the guys that just missed out might like to play for the team they hate.

Could be very interesting. We've already got a borderline 5-star in Perry saying things like "Arkansas is my Kentucky". If in 2020 we can get Moody, Doakes, and Moore on that page - we will have some more elites to go to battle.

Hawg Red

We are going to look back on what is going on right now as a major, major turning point for the program. I really do believe Mike having his players' backs against all this criticism is going to inspire our boys to stomp a mud hole in Seton Hall. I won't pretend to be confident that we can knock off UNC, but oh how sweet that would be to see all of the bitterness nationally at Arkansas in the Sweet 16. They are acting like we're one of the worst teams in the field. It's just bizarre to me to see what looks like folks going out of their way to trash us. I think the team is sick and tired of it. Mike is sick and tired of it.

I hope all of these recruits out here see this coach standing tall for his players when everyone comes after them. I hope these referees see this because I see a little Nolan coming out in Mike and that should be enough to put some fear into some folks. If the program embraces this bad guy role everyone seems to be putting us in, it could pay dividends. You want to put the black hat on us? Okay, we'll be the badasses. You aren't going to like what you created. A tone is being set right now. Our fans (most of them) have quit bickering with each other and joined in arms against the outside world coming down on us.

swinesation

Not sure most of sports media hates us; they just don't respect us. I think Arkansas is a good story most of them would like to see re-emerge. We're just not there yet.

Hollywood_HOGan45

010HogFan

I agree that what we saw the other day could be nothing......or it could turn out to be the "shot heard round the world" that wakes up the sleeping giant once again

hobhog

Hope he lets Nolan speak to them before game. Get a big ole chip on our shoulder and come out swinging!

The_Iceman

They sure love to focus on their slick haired coaches on tv. Mike could barely get anyone from the media to notice him.

AlmaHog2011

Fight and claw our way back to the top. Mike has this thing started I wish he could dig up a big for next year a 4 that can finish around the rim actually dunk the ball would be nice.

HOGS!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 14, 2017, 01:53:38 pm
We are going to look back on what is going on right now as a major, major turning point for the program. I really do believe Mike having his players' backs against all this criticism is going to inspire our boys to stomp a mud hole in Seton Hall. I won't pretend to be confident that we can knock off UNC, but oh how sweet that would be to see all of the bitterness nationally at Arkansas in the Sweet 16. They are acting like we're one of the worst teams in the field. It's just bizarre to me to see what looks like folks going out of their way to trash us. I think the team is sick and tired of it. Mike is sick and tired of it.

I hope all of these recruits out here see this coach standing tall for his players when everyone comes after them. I hope these referees see this because I see a little Nolan coming out in Mike and that should be enough to put some fear into some folks. If the program embraces this bad guy role everyone seems to be putting us in, it could pay dividends. You want to put the black hat on us? Okay, we'll be the badasses. You aren't going to like what you created. A tone is being set right now. Our fans (most of them) have quit bickering with each other and joined in arms against the outside world coming down on us.

Well said!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Rawker

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 14, 2017, 01:17:58 pm
I do agree they aren't gonna give it to us and of course we wouldn't want them too. 

I'm hoping Mike channels this negative energy into something positive.  Seton Hall ain't that franchise from Lexington.  We have nothing to be afraid of from them.  They've plays lots of good teams so I'm sure they won't back down from us.  Shooting percentage...that's where we will live or die.  We have to limit those droughts that have plagued us all year.  All teams will have a dry spell but so far our defense hasn't been good enough to cover those up for our offense.  That's where intensity could make all the difference. 

Our boys and especially our seniors have just one more chance to make their mark.  Here's hoping they capitalize on the opportunity.

Bingo.  Avoiding the drought.  If you looks beyond the chaos near the end of the KY game, we were actually getting the steals we wanted and the mistakes we wanted from KY over the course, but once again, we couldn't put the ball in the hole, even when we really had to have a bucket.  Even Barford's little flippy layup - the one that he's been seemingly hitting 98% of the time - would not find the basket....not even close.  Hannahs got a couple of his runners to go, but couldn't pull out the dagger from three.  If those go in against SH, like they did against Vandy, it's our game to lose.  If they don't, as has been the case for huge chunks of time over the season, it's Seton Hall's game to lose.  Rebound advantages will be negated by TOs and other stats will be negated by still others....it will come down to whether the Hogs avoided the drought and put the ball in the hole.

Intensity and Effort all the time.  Don't get down on ourselves if we have a call go against us or if we miss 4 or 5 point blank shots.  Go like hell every minute, no standing around.  Like most teams, we play our best when we keep moving.  Movement without the ball, with the ball, position rebounding, position on defense.

I would love to see Mike up and in the game, all game long, coaching , scolding, instructing, directing, encouraging, and refusing to be denied.  Bad talent can become decent, good players better and real good players can become excellent when coach is all about it.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 14, 2017, 02:40:54 pm
I agree that what we saw the other day could be nothing......or it could turn out to be the "shot heard round the world" that wakes up the sleeping giant once again

Coach A needs to channel his inner Nolan and tell the refs to "back up and let us go about our business".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFp5XhtpPtw
Hogs up! Covid down!

LRHawg

Quote from: Karma on March 14, 2017, 01:32:24 pm
I think your microwave is monitoring you. Better place that tin foil back on your head.

Of course it is, it's the only place tin-foil can't go!

LRHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 14, 2017, 01:53:38 pm

This is what I'm talking about. Time to get fired up and take back what was once ours.

hawg1221

Isn't it interesting that with all talk about Kentucky and the top recruits they get every year, they really only dominate the SEC. They're not dominating nationally. Coach Calipari has only won 1 national title, the same as his predecessors. There is no Alabama in basketball. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, and a few others say hello. This makes me happy, because I really hate Kentucky and mainly because of their head coach. Such a crappy ego for only 1 national title. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 14, 2017, 03:13:39 pm
Isn't it interesting that with all talk about Kentucky and the top recruits they get every year, they really only dominate the SEC. They're not dominating nationally. Coach Calipari has only won 1 national title, the same as his predecessors. There is no Alabama in basketball. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, and a few others say hello. This makes me happy, because I really hate Kentucky and mainly because of their head coach. Such a crappy ego for only 1 national title.

Conference titles and national titles aren't that important to him.  Putting players in the NBA is his main priority and the most important thing to him.

Not my words.  His.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

LRHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 14, 2017, 03:16:45 pm
Conference titles and national titles aren't that important to him.  Putting players in the NBA is his main priority and the most important thing to him.

Not my words.  His.

Yep. his NC team rode Anthony Davis to the end. No team had an answer for him. I don't see any Anthony Davis' on this year's squad, just a bunch of individuals that will fall apart when things get tough in the later rounds. We'll see soon.

PORKULATOR

Well, your opinion sucks and could have just as well been kept to yourself. Loser.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jgphillips3

Kentucky won't win a title this year and Monk's business decision won't have changed anything except the fact that he could have been a hero to millions in Arkansas and will be forgotten in Kentucky.  If he doesn't make his mark in the NBA, he screwed himself.  We are trying to build a team.  Several role players that play for 4 years and some two and dones maybe with a one and done somewhere in there.  At least we will remember our players.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Hogimus Prime

i don't think the SEC/Kentucky, NCAA or majority of the media want the Hogs to return to its past glory.  They only want to the blue bloods.  When the Hogs joined the SEC they were Kentucky's equal if not better. That didn't sit well with old guard.  Same with Nolan's run in the early to mid 90's.  He steam rolled blie bloods like Duke, Kentucky and UNC and then the NCAA shows up for a witch hunt.  The NCAA has done this to several programs that were set to upset the status quo.

JayHog

Yep. We were beating the Kentucky's, and Dukes, and UNC's of the world in the 90's and they weren't going to have that. So they go and go a how rule change to shut down the way we played defense (the hand Check rule)

LZH

Yes, as bad as I want think so, I just can't convince myself we are there yet. Even as bad as we played against Kentucky at times, we gave them a hell of a fight. But we really haven't done anything other than have a good run at the end of the year. I am cautiously "optimistic."

Birminghog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 14, 2017, 03:38:01 pm
Kentucky won't win a title this year and Monk's business decision won't have changed anything except the fact that he could have been a hero to millions in Arkansas and will be forgotten in Kentucky.  If he doesn't make his mark in the NBA, he screwed himself.  We are trying to build a team.  Several role players that play for 4 years and some two and dones maybe with a one and done somewhere in there.  At least we will remember our players.

Right as rain, jg.

ThisTeetsTaken

Send in the enforcer Mr Holmes!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

WorfHog

March 14, 2017, 09:06:48 pm #35 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:43:13 pm by WorfHog
The thing that pisses me off most about Finebaum is that he wouldn't be caught dead interrupting his heroes Saban and Calipari. Show Coach A some respect you milquetoast jock sniffing front runner loving talentless AlabamaTennessee hack. Dude couldn't even cut it in Tennessee where he went to school so he ran off to Alabama to rile up a bunch of dumb rednecks who became unfunny and uninteresting caricatures, just like Finebaum.

F Paul Finebaum and F the Blue Bloods!

ChicoHog

Quote from: JayHog on March 14, 2017, 05:10:55 pm
Yep. We were beating the Kentucky's, and Dukes, and UNC's of the world in the 90's and they weren't going to have that. So they go and go a how rule change to shut down the way we played defense (the hand Check rule)
I don't think they were worried about us.  We had a small 5-6 year run in the early 90s and have  not done anything since. We are a speck compared to the so called Blue Bloods of college basketball.  UK could not care less about us because we are not a threat to them now.  Maybe down the road but not since 1996 have we been competitive on a consistent basis.  Just like the rules change in football to get more offense in the game the powers that be did the same for basketball with the 3 point shot, no charge under the basket and of course the hand checking.  Good teams adapt to new rules.  We never did under Richardson.  I think Anderson finally saw the light this year and  seemed a little more flexible playing some zone and not always trapping and pressing.  Hope he continues to do what's best for the team and not what he wants to do.  Bring on Seton Hall!

Athog

Quote from: LRHawg on March 14, 2017, 01:04:04 pm

You have to win! The media did not take us away----losing did and that is the only thing that will bring the program and the fans back!!

GuvHog

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 14, 2017, 09:42:00 pm
I don't think they were worried about us.  We had a small 5-6 year run in the early 90s and have  not done anything since. We are a speck compared to the so called Blue Bloods of college basketball.  UK could not care less about us because we are not a threat to them now.  Maybe down the road but not since 1996 have we been competitive on a consistent basis.  Just like the rules change in football to get more offense in the game the powers that be did the same for basketball with the 3 point shot, no charge under the basket and of course the hand checking.  Good teams adapt to new rules.  We never did under Richardson.  I think Anderson finally saw the light this year and  seemed a little more flexible playing some zone and not always trapping and pressing.  Hope he continues to do what's best for the team and not what he wants to do.  Bring on Seton Hall!

The thing that helps Kentucky stay Elite and keeps Arkansas from seriously competing Nationally is the NBA's "One and Done" draft rule. Calipari just gets a bus load of 5 star elite players every year, wins, they opt for the NBA Draft, and he gets another bus load for the next year. He isn't the only one doing it. There are a few Elite schools that do it too and they are the ones that dominate College basketball. Because of that rule, it's far more difficult for coaches to build programs. If the NBA changed to a "3 and done" rule, the 5 star Elite players at schools like UK would not be eligible for the draft this year meaning they could not go out and hoard all of the 5 star players coming out of High School which would allow other schools to get them thus leveling the playing field.

Mike Anderson is doing a great job but the "One and Done" rule will keep him form having any chance to have the success Nolan had when recruits had to play 4 years before being eligible for the NBA Draft.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LRHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on March 15, 2017, 08:26:52 am
The thing that helps Kentucky stay Elite and keeps Arkansas from seriously competing Nationally is the NBA's "One and Done" draft rule. Calipari just gets a bus load of 5 star elite players every year, wins, they opt for the NBA Draft, and he gets another bus load for the next year. He isn't the only one doing it. There are a few Elite schools that do it too and they are the ones that dominate College basketball. Because of that rule, it's far more difficult for coaches to build programs. If the NBA changed to a "3 and done" rule, the 5 star Elite players at schools like UK would not be eligible for the draft this year meaning they could not go out and hoard all of the 5 star players coming out of High School which would allow other schools to get them thus leveling the playing field.

Mike Anderson is doing a great job but the "One and Done" rule will keep him form having any chance to have the success Nolan had when recruits had to play 4 years before being eligible for the NBA Draft.

I agree, Guv. The only thing that could change this back to 2+ and done is the money drying up from the current model.

ChicoHog

I'd rather they just go straight to the NBA or have a 2 year requirement.   Most fans don't follow college basketball nearly as much as they did 20 years ago because of the constant turnover in rosters. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogwood on March 14, 2017, 01:53:35 pm
Could be very interesting. We've already got a borderline 5-star in Perry saying things like "Arkansas is my Kentucky". If in 2020 we can get Moody, Doakes, and Moore on that page - we will have some more elites to go to battle.
whatcha wanna bet Cal comes calling for Moody. Battle we need to win.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: swinesation on March 14, 2017, 02:07:10 pm
Not sure most of sports media hates us; they just don't respect us. I think Arkansas is a good story most of them would like to see re-emerge. We're just not there yet.
you couldnt be more wrong about that. the return of "rat ball"? they SCARE
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

dude, we have beaten them as often as theyve beaten us under Anderson. We have 2 25 win seasons in the last 3 years and that's with us missing out on the best two players from Arkansas in the past decade. We wont be missing out on those guys anymore. If we had KaVaughn and Monk right now, we'd already be the #1 SEC team,.

LZH

not since 1996 have we been competitive on a consistent basis.

Just imagine the day following rthe 1995 NCAA Championship game you hear someone say that. We had just won a championship, played for another, three Final Fours in six years, and were expecting to break into that elite club of 6 or 8 programs that rule the basketball world.

If  someone had said that the day after the 1995 Championship - that we would only be competitive nationally for just one more year - no way in hell. Who would have believed it?

But it's true.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: GuvHog on March 15, 2017, 08:26:52 am

This rule has hurt NCAA and NBA...neither product is what it was in the past.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 15, 2017, 09:20:21 am

Much more at play than simply the one-year age limit. Entitlement culture, marketing/branding desires, money, national/worldwide exposure at ages as young as 16 years old have all played a role in reducing the quality, competitiveness, and toughness of the players and product of NCAA and NBA basketball. Implementing a baseball or NFL-style age limit/rule will not erase many of those factors. Kids are coddled much more coming now than they were 15-20 years or more ago. 2-3 years more in college isn't going to de-program a lot of that, especially with so many programs allowing their players to take online classes furthering distancing them from the academic experience and the growth that comes along with it. Kids now grow up learning what it takes to stand out as a flashy offensive player and not just a good basketball player like in the '90s and decades previous. No age limit is going to change that. No doubt that players will get better, develop better and come into the NBA more prepared/equipped/skilled, but the bigger issue is being set in before they even get to a college campus.

GuvHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 15, 2017, 09:20:21 am

100% agree. The NBA needs to change to a "3 and done" rule like the NFL has.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LRHawg on March 15, 2017, 08:39:12 am
I agree, Guv. The only thing that could change this back to 2+ and done is the money drying up from the current model.
Maybe the veterans in the NBA will get tired of the 19 year olds coming in and taking their spots like the NFL veterans got tired of the rookies coming in making more than them.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 14, 2017, 03:09:17 pm
Coach A needs to channel his inner Nolan and tell the refs to "back up and let us go about our business".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFp5XhtpPtw
Classic! ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"