Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I thought the hearing for the 3 suspended players was today?

Started by nwahogfan1, August 25, 2015, 12:23:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

I did not see anything so I guess I  was wrong.

Anyone help me with the date?

hog.goblin

chiefhawg

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

nwahogfan1

Anybody have any inside scoop on how this is going to play out?

The_Iceman

All that was delayed was the arraignment, right? There isn't much to that. You walk in, plead not guilty, and they give you a court date.

hoglady

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2015, 09:21:51 am
All that was delayed was the arraignment, right? There isn't much to that. You walk in, plead not guilty, and they give you a court date.

Just looked it up and you are right - it was just an arraignment.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

The_Iceman

Quote from: hoglady on August 25, 2015, 09:25:30 am
Just looked it up and you are right - it was just an arraignment.

But I'm sure we will have Breaking News story from 5 News reporting Beard pleads "Not Guilty". Everyone pleads not guilty. They pretty much won't even let you plead guilty. So I never understand why arraignments are taken so seriously by the media.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2015, 09:33:49 am
But I'm sure we will have Breaking News story from 5 News reporting Beard pleads "Not Guilty". Everyone pleads not guilty. They pretty much won't even let you plead guilty. So I never understand why arraignments are taken so seriously by the media.

But if they're working on a plea deal (as speculated), there wouldn't be a "not guilty" plea, correct? And that could very well be the reason for the delay, that they're still working on the plea deal. Or does a plea deal come after the initial plea at the arraignment?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2015, 09:36:08 am
But if they're working on a plea deal (as speculated), there wouldn't be a "not guilty" plea, correct? And that could very well be the reason for the delay, that they're still working on the plea deal. Or does a plea deal come after the initial plea at the arraignment?

Possibly. If Beard wants to get the charges dropped before arraignment and before having the news stations standing outside the courtroom video taping him in front of the judge. But in terms of the impact of the "Not Guilty" plea at arraignment on a possible plea deal, it means nothing.

WarPig88

There are only two suspended players that I am aware of.

Williams has been dismissed.

hog.goblin

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2015, 09:21:51 am

not guilty, guilty plea'd down, decisions decisions

Wild Bill Hog

Could a "No Contest" plea, and a subsequent related deal be entered at an arraignment?  Just asking.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on August 26, 2015, 07:22:40 am
Could a "No Contest" plea, and a subsequent related deal be entered at an arraignment?  Just asking.

Short answer, yes, according to my old fishin buddy judge. But when you're hot you're hot.-"Jerry Reed."

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on August 26, 2015, 07:22:40 am

In the 100+ arraignments I was involved with in Washington County when I was with the Public Defender's office, I never heard anyone plead anything but not guilty. The not guilty at arraignment doesn't mean much in terms of the prosecutor and future deals. Its more of a procedural step.

TOM "tbw1"

"Enter a plea of not guilty, waive formal arraignment, Your Honor"

30 seconds tops
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Scott7703

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on August 31, 2015, 12:08:00 pm
"Enter a plea of not guilty, waive formal arraignment, Your Honor"

30 seconds tops

Some dealing going on.

blacksuit

Felony charges, hard to get too hopeful. Circuit courts typically do P&A in person and from what I can tell that will happen tomorrow:

http://5newsonline.com/2015/08/24/arraignment-hearing-for-basketball-players-postponed/

The_Iceman

Update: Beard charged with 3 felonies. Arraignment coming soon.

hoglady

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 01, 2015, 07:17:35 pm

Hate, hate to hear that.
Not good for Beard and his future / and not good for the basketball team.

JayBell

Hard to see Beard back on the court for Arkansas.  At the very least, not this season.

-Blu

The_Iceman

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 01, 2015, 07:17:35 pm
What are the felonies he's charged with?

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

Hawg Red

WorfHog

moses_007

It's highly doubtful the legal process will be over before basketball season begins.  I don't see Beard playing this upcoming season, guilty or not.

azhog10

Quote from: moses_007 on September 02, 2015, 11:33:56 am
It's highly doubtful the legal process will be over before basketball season begins.  I don't see Beard playing this upcoming season, guilty or not.
If he doesn't get a deal before basketball season then I think he takes this to court. The only reason for him to plea to a lesser charge is to try and get back on the court, assuming CMA allows that.

arkmark

Quote from: azhog10 on September 02, 2015, 02:28:39 pm
If he doesn't get a deal before basketball season then I think he takes this to court. The only reason for him to plea to a lesser charge is to try and get back on the court, assuming CMA allows that.

Not quite azhog, how about the reason to plea to the charge or a lesser charge in order to avoid a jail or prison term?  Seems a little more important than his basketball season.  No matter how much he or we may think what he may have done doesn't deserve that, it is on the table.

azhog10

Quote from: arkmark on September 02, 2015, 05:33:54 pm
Not quite azhog, how about the reason to plea to the charge or a lesser charge in order to avoid a jail or prison term?  Seems a little more important than his basketball season.  No matter how much he or we may think what he may have done doesn't deserve that, it is on the table.
Like I said if he pleas it happens before the season. If he doesn't then it goes to court.

-Blu

Anybody know what happened with Thomas?  Wasn't his hearing suppose to be this week?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: -Blu on September 10, 2015, 08:54:57 am
Anybody know what happened with Thomas?  Wasn't his hearing suppose to be this week?

"The third player involved in the case, Dustin Thomas, has an arraignment scheduled for September 14."

-Blu

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 10, 2015, 09:02:46 am
"The third player involved in the case, Dustin Thomas, has an arraignment scheduled for September 14."

Ah ok... Thanks.