Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 years

Started by Like it is, July 31, 2015, 07:53:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Like it is

I'd like to see how things pan out if the NCAA passed a two year rule .... I think it'd be another world in recruiting.... Let's face it.... U older / experienced guys reading this .... Think about all the players you use to remember by name on these Top 25 teams.... How many players do u know by name now??? Not many huh ??? Not good for College Basketball ... Bottom Line !!!!!

Nipsey Mussle

How many exclamation points would you use if you were texting someone that their house was on fire?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Like it is on July 31, 2015, 07:53:25 pm
I'd like to see how things pan out if the NCAA passed a two year rule .... I think it'd be another world in recruiting.... Let's face it.... U older / experienced guys reading this .... Think about all the players you use to remember by name on these Top 25 teams.... How many players do u know by name now??? Not many huh ??? Not good for College Basketball ... Bottom Line !!!!!
I am with you I like the football rule actually.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

KSHog1974

Agreed...college bball used to be my favorite...now it's like Groundhog Day at the start of every year.

Hoggard

I agree. It will do two things. One keep Kentucky from hoarding so much of the top talent. And two give teams more time with guys with NBA type talent. If Kentucky still has every player from its team last year then Monk would be ours for two years. As it is we will be lucky to get him for one.

Players like Monk, Portis and Quals fill up arenas. This new young man from Missouri will be worth the price of a ticket next year. IMO. Forgetting his name right now sorry.
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

PonderinHog

Hoggard

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 31, 2015, 08:53:50 pm
Jimmy Whitt.

Thank you sir.. I have watched him play enough. But I'm old..So I forget. He will be worth the price of admission alone. Thats my opinion..
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

berryhog

IMO, while a two year rule would be good, I think the solution is APR.  Make these one and done players count against the number.  Programs couldn't afford to recruit too many of these players each year, which would result in a more competitive recruiting landscape.

HiggiePiggy

I would like to see the baseball setup for basketball.  Either let them go to the pros out of high school or stay in college for 3 years. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

farmhawg

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 31, 2015, 08:10:22 pm
How many exclamation points would you use if you were texting someone that their house was on fire?
Since she is twelve, I would think at least ten....jmo
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Omahabound

I'd like to see the College Baseball Rule. There is no need for a guy like Kobe or Lebron to go to college. If you are good enough to go out of college, GO! But IF you go to college it's THREE years or until you are 21. That would help the college game tremendously. I mean cmon, MJ stayed 3 years and turned out ok.

Supermark101

People saying this would hurt Kentucky don't get it. They were so good last year because the Hariis Twins and other came back. The way it is now they have 5 or 6 NBA players with the rest of the roster being walk-ons and lesser upperclassmen, and you have an occasional miss and down year. If there was a 2 year rule, they could have 10 NBA players, like this year, and they make the final four every year.

As others have said, it needs to be just like baseball.

WarPig88

Quote from: Supermark101 on August 01, 2015, 01:30:22 pm
People saying this would hurt Kentucky don't get it. They were so good last year because the Hariis Twins and other came back. The way it is now they have 5 or 6 NBA players with the rest of the roster being walk-ons and lesser upperclassmen, and you have an occasional miss and down year. If there was a 2 year rule, they could have 10 NBA players, like this year, and they make the final four every year.

As others have said, it needs to be just like baseball.

I think it's you who is not getting it. Every season the top players are choosing Kentucky. They are signing a new team every season it seems.

Players would not sign with them that thought they should get immediate playing time and the talent would be more spread out as a result. While it wouldn't "hurt" Kentucky in recruiting, it would certainly increase the competitive level of the teams they are playing which would make it more difficult for them to win at as high a level as they do now.

BigSexyHog

August 01, 2015, 04:05:49 pm #14 Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:17:16 pm by BigSexyHog
I couldn't name 10 players total in college basketball.   Heck I am not sure I could give you every name on the hogs roster.  College basketball is such an after thought for me.  Back when I was in high school in the late 80's early 90's I could name every starting 5 for the top 20 or 25 teams.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Supermark101

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 01, 2015, 01:44:11 pm

Players would not sign with them that thought they should get immediate playing time

They did this past year, and it worked out for everyone. No reason it wouldn't continue. Plus more players would go over seas.

WarPig88

Quote from: Supermark101 on August 01, 2015, 10:02:15 pm
They did this past year, and it worked out for everyone. No reason it wouldn't continue. Plus more players would go over seas.

I guess you missed where Calipari said he would never do that again.

Omahabound

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 01, 2015, 04:05:49 pm
I couldn't name 10 players total in college basketball.   Heck I am not sure I could give you every name on the hogs roster.  College basketball is such an after thought for me.  Back when I was in high school in the late 80's early 90's I could name every starting 5 for the top 20 or 25 teams.
I could name the hogs, but nothing like the 90s and late 80s. College BB overall is terrible now. One and dones have ruined the college game IMO.

dagnamit

style of play has ruined the game not the one and dones

SuperSid4Ever

One of the big obstacles as I see it would be getting the NBA players union to agree to it, something which in my opinion will never happen.

As it relates to Kentucky, their school is so dialed in and focused on anything and everything involved with basketball, so it would barely make a ripple in the pool of how they compete.

Biggus Piggus

The NCAA can't pass any such rule. It is up to the NBA to change its behavior. College basketball has no control. You can't force people to stay in college any amount of time.
[CENSORED]!

KentuckyFan

I think a 2-year rule would actually still benefit the best recruiters.  Think about it.  Guys know they have to stay 2 years.  They don't expect immediate starting time and minutes from day one.

Does UK still get EVERY recruit?  Probably not.  Kansas, Duke and Arizona probably fall down a bit as well.  Do those schools still get the best players?  Yes.  And they get almost as many, because the Freshman know they will have the spotlight because they are forced to stay 2 years.

The only way this would benefit other schools would be actually choosing a school because of the SCHOOL.  The location would matter a bit more, considering it's not just a race to the highest NBA Draft stock, and you actually will be spending 2 years on a campus.

Kentucky, while it's a great campus that would offer a lot to a student, recruits almost everyone from outside the state.  Many, not all, but many, consider UK heavily and even choose them over closer/longer connected options because they will usually be on a great team, get a ton of exposure, play against the best talent and help their NBA stock.

Hoggard

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 02, 2015, 02:40:15 pm
The NCAA can't pass any such rule. It is up to the NBA to change its behavior. College basketball has no control. You can't force people to stay in college any amount of time.

And its a real problem too imo. You hate to tell a kid that has the talent that he can't just go straight to the NBA. Forcing them to go to school even for a year seems wrong. On the other hand its much better for the college game when these young men stay in school for at least a couple of years.

I would like to see the NBA start to be more concerned about their final product. It seems to me like the quality of basketball in the NBA has gone way way down. Does Lebron even know how to dribble the dang ball ? All the traveling and fouling has caused the pro game to lose its appeal for people like me. So hopefully the NBA will be concerned enough about their product to let these young men develop their skills in college.

One other factor is these young men making fans while in college who will also follow their career in the NBA. Maybe that factor isn't big enough for the NBA to care. IDK. What I do know is that the NBA sucks imo and they are hurting the college game. And they aren't going to make any changes unless those changes benefit them as a league.

KentuckyFan

Unfortunately, the NBA isn't as enjoyable as it was when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, the NBA is just about at an all-time high in-terms of popularity.

Many "older school" fans may not love the product, but it's certainly making a killing.  There's not going to be a change anytime soon.  And what you reference is NOT a college/NCAA/NBA Draft issue.  It's an issue that starts much, much younger.  What lacks in today's game is the overall fundamentals and basketball IQ, both of which are just about signed, sealed and delivered by time a kid gets to college.  The problem starts much, much lower, at the elementary/middle school level, where these kids are being "recruited" to play at "basketball-focused" high schools and AAU clubs.

razoredge178

Quote from: Omahabound on August 01, 2015, 09:20:23 am
I'd like to see the College Baseball Rule. There is no need for a guy like Kobe or Lebron to go to college. If you are good enough to go out of college, GO! But IF you go to college it's THREE years or until you are 21. That would help the college game tremendously. I mean cmon, MJ stayed 3 years and turned out ok.

Exactly. And it would be an NBA rule, not the NCAA.