Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CMA Back in Fayetteville?

Started by lookawayquick, July 29, 2015, 03:45:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lookawayquick

Does anyone know, is CMA back in Fayetteville?  Any word on meetings with the suspended players? IMO, Jeff Long and CMA are making a mistake by not addressing the situation.  I understand that both are limited in what they can say given the pending charges but to totally ignore it raises more questions.  Not smart crisis management.

WilsonHog

I don't expect to hear anything further until their arraignment. I guess he could indefinitely suspend Williams again, but that seems redundant. 

hogsanity

Quote from: lookawayquick on July 29, 2015, 03:45:15 pm
Does anyone know, is CMA back in Fayetteville?  Any word on meetings with the suspended players? IMO, Jeff Long and CMA are making a mistake by not addressing the situation.  I understand that both are limited in what they can say given the pending charges but to totally ignore it raises more questions.  Not smart crisis management.

What are they supposed to say?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Danny J

This day and age better to allow some time in between incidents and announcements/pressers. Allow for the next big story to pop up.

lookawayquick

1. We are on top of the situation, we've discussed it with our basketball team. Counseled them not to get caught up in the distraction.  Encouraged them to stay focused on their academics and to motivate themselves to become better players.
2. This is an aberration.  The kids we've recruited are good people who value academics and understand the special trust Arkansas fans place in them.
3. Once the legal proceeding has run its course, we will have more to say about the future of the three players.
4. In the meantime, my coaching staff will redouble efforts to recruit the finest young men to represent the University of Arkansas.  We will recruit winners both on and off the court.

WilsonHog

Quote from: lookawayquick on July 29, 2015, 05:14:46 pm
1. We are on top of the situation, we've discussed it with our basketball team. Counseled them not to get caught up in the distraction.  Encouraged them to stay focused on their academics and to motivate themselves to become better players.
2. This is an aberration.  The kids we've recruited are good people who value academics and understand the special trust Arkansas fans place in them.
3. Once the legal proceeding has run its course, we will have more to say about the future of the three players.
4. In the meantime, my coaching staff will redouble efforts to recruit the finest young men to represent the University of Arkansas.  We will recruit winners both on and off the court.

And....what would that do that needs to be done?

At this point, the story has pretty much died. No need to bring it back before its time.

jesterzzn

In the grand scheme of things, its not a crisis.  It's disappointing.  It's going to have a negative impact on the team.  It's embarrassing for the university.  It's not a crisis.

Besides, jumping out in front of things is a good way to get yourself hit by a bus.

lookawayquick

It is a crisis for the basketball program.  Recruits, parents, donors and fans are all watching closely.  Very seldom a good strategy to go silent. People are engaged with the Hog basketball program.  CMA should provide some reassurance that all is not going up in smoke.

GatorHog

Quote from: lookawayquick on July 29, 2015, 06:02:17 pm
It is a crisis for the basketball program.  Recruits, parents, donors and fans are all watching closely.  Very seldom a good strategy to go silent. People are engaged with the Hog basketball program.  CMA should provide some reassurance that all is not going up in smoke.

What are the consequences of not doing so?  Seems better to try to let the whole thing get buried in the hoopla of football season, if that's possible.  Why blow on the fire?  MA can always announce a 2-3 game suspension 2-3 months down the road when no one cares or is paying attention.

twistitup

A statement? Things haven't played out yet....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hog.goblin

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 03:57:41 pm
I don't expect to hear anything further until their arraignment. I guess he could indefinitely suspend Williams again, but that seems redundant. 

double secret probation for Jacorey

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 03:57:41 pm
Maybe he can limit him to only half the pick up games in Bud Walton.

HAWG MAFIA

Dont jump off the ledge just yet

lookawayquick

I'm no alarmist.  No bridge jumping will take place on my part.  I have watched this same strategy blow up over and over again.  Hiding the head in the sand and hoping it will all blow over just doesn't work in this age of instant communication and social media.  I hope CMA is making lots of phone calls to reassure, parents, recruits, donors and avid fans because he sure is not doing it in a public setting.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: lookawayquick on July 30, 2015, 05:14:52 pm
I'm no alarmist.  No bridge jumping will take place on my part.  I have watched this same strategy blow up over and over again.  Hiding the head in the sand and hoping it will all blow over just doesn't work in this age of instant communication and social media.  I hope CMA is making lots of phone calls to reassure, parents, recruits, donors and avid fans because he sure is not doing it in a public setting.
Why would you assume that CMA is "hiding his head in the sand & hoping it will all blow over?" Do you seriously think he hasn't addressed the situation with his team and spoken with the three who were charged? Just because we haven't heard about the details, doesn't mean he is ignoring it. Maybe he's waiting until all the facts are in? 
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PonderinHog

Biggus Piggus

Just imagine if MA had been doing more spinning. Then his recruiting would really be good.
[CENSORED]!

ThisTeetsTaken

Would any of you have a problem sending your kid to play for Mike Anderson?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PonderinHog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 02, 2015, 03:38:11 pm
Would any of you have a problem sending your kid to play for Mike Anderson?
Yeah, none  of them can play basketball for darn! Other than that, no!   ;D

Like it is

Some of the people that respond on this message board are clueless!!! One word : ridiculous.. Lol

Soooie21

He is the coach, not a babysitter...If players make bad choice's in life....Blame the player....

hoglady

He has addressed the situation - the players are suspended indefinitely while this situation plays out.
There's really nothing left to say at this point in time.
Legal issues don't resolve overnight - I understand with social media people want immediate answers - my guess is there are no answers right now.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hoglady on August 03, 2015, 09:54:53 am
He has addressed the situation - the players are suspended indefinitely while this situation plays out.
There's really nothing left to say at this point in time.
Legal issues don't resolve overnight - I understand with social media people want immediate answers - my guess is there are no answers right now.

pretty much sums it up.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

WorfHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 02, 2015, 03:52:22 pm
Yeah, none  of them can play basketball for darn! Other than that, no!   ;D

+1

lookawayquick

Quote from: Soooie21 on August 03, 2015, 09:43:44 am
He is the coach, not a babysitter...If players make bad choice's in life....Blame the player....

Tell that to the mothers of the kids being recruited.

Mick Hogger

I'm sure he will. But that doesn't mean you'll know about it.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

majp51

Look I'm not a Blind Long or CMA backer, but come on. Legally their hands are tied, and this is a tad murky.

-If they come out supporting the kids and the kids are guilty, they catch all sorts of grief for being part of the problem with the entitlement mentality that kids have today and athletes have in spades.

-If they come out and throw the kids under the bus, then they likely hurt recruiting even more.

-If they come out and say they are taking this seriously , then they get crucified for not really saying anything.

Honestly at this point silence is by far the smartest thing that they can do. Because Silence has no long term impact. All the other option do.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Too much sense and reason in this thread.  Am I on Hogville, or possibly trapped in an alternate reality?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: lookawayquick on July 29, 2015, 05:14:46 pm

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HotlantaHog

In an era of 24-hour news, it is better to be transparent even if you are limited in what you can say.

It wouldn't hurt to say :

``We are excited about the outlook for Arkansas basketball this year and are looking to have a good year and focused on building for the future. We think we have the pieces for success this year and into the future. I have never felt more optimistic about the long-term success for Arkansas basketball. I was part of the the championship under Nolan and that is where we plan to be again.''

BTW I am a MA supporter -- but I think you either dominate the news cycle or it dominates you.

And right NOW is when season ticket holders are making the decision whether to renew for this year. Renewals due later this month. Give them a reason to renew if they are on the fence.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on August 04, 2015, 05:33:50 pm
In an era of 24-hour news, it is better to be transparent even if you are limited in what you can say.

It wouldn't hurt to say :

``We are excited about the outlook for Arkansas basketball this year and are looking to have a good year and focused on building for the future. We think we have the pieces for success this year and into the future. I have never felt more optimistic about the long-term success for Arkansas basketball. I was part of the the championship under Nolan and that is where we plan to be again.''

BTW I am a MA supporter -- but I think you either dominate the news cycle or it dominates you.

And right NOW is when season ticket holders are making the decision whether to renew for this year. Renewals due later this month. Give them a reason to renew if they are on the fence.

I agree with you.  CBB is always looking to the national media to get his name and the Hog brand on ESPN, SECN, Fox and etc.

I think CMA does a good job in front of the camera but he doesnt look to get his program and his brand in front of the camera.  He should have all the facts now about what these kids have done and have a plan looking forward.  He needs to get out there, get on camera and share it with us.  Maybe no specifics but at least his broad based plan for these kids. 

rude1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 04, 2015, 06:06:54 pm
I agree with you.  CBB is always looking to the national media to get his name and the Hog brand on ESPN, SECN, Fox and etc.

I think CMA does a good job in front of the camera but he doesnt look to get his program and his brand in front of the camera.  He should have all the facts now about what these kids have done and have a plan looking forward.  He needs to get out there, get on camera and share it with us.  Maybe no specifics but at least his broad based plan for these kids. 
Seriously? With an ongoing police investigation into something much bigger than these three players, you think CMA should have all the facts by now? I would be curious on just how do you believe he could have something I am sure law enforcement doesn't have yet?

hoglady

Quote from: rude1 on August 04, 2015, 08:07:27 pm
Seriously? With an ongoing police investigation into something much bigger than these three players, you think CMA should have all the facts by now? I would be curious on just how do you believe he could have something I am sure law enforcement doesn't have yet?

Yes - this is a little different than your run-of-the-mill DUI, bar fight or theft of an item.
New territory here - feds, secret service and local police involved. The whole thing goes way beyond these players.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rude1

Quote from: hoglady on August 05, 2015, 08:49:36 am
Yes - this is a little different than your run-of-the-mill DUI, bar fight or theft of an item.
New territory here - feds, secret service and local police involved. The whole thing goes way beyond these players.
What is amazing to me is that this would even have to be stated to anyone.......

secfan30

We are talking about student athletes that are waiting due process. It would be horrible crisis management to say anything right now. They are suspended indefinitely. Nothing else needs to be said.