Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is recruiting such a struggle here?

Started by jmalott86, July 28, 2015, 07:36:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jmalott86

Quote from: -Blu on August 10, 2015, 08:21:52 pm
You do realize BB has only won 14% of his conference games right?

And I'm not trying to bash CBB, I think he's a good coach and like the direction he has the program going in, but I always find it funny when people come on here and try to bash CMA, with what CBB is doing, like he is just doing so much more.  First off, you can't compare football and basketball, it's completely different.  But, if your going to try to use a football coach to bash a basketball coach, don't use a coach with 2 conference wins in 2 years as an example, you lose all credibility then.

I believe he is talking about recruiting, not W/L record.

HognitiveDissonance

And I'm not trying to bash CBB, I think he's a good coach and like the direction he has the program going in, but I always find it funny when people come on here and try to bash CMA, with what CBB is doing, like he is just doing so much more.  First off, you can't compare football and basketball, it's completely different.  But, if your going to try to use a football coach to bash a basketball coach, don't use a coach with 2 conference wins in 2 years as an example, you lose all credibility then.
I'm usually questioning the Anderson apologists, but this is a good point. First, I never judge a coach until after his third year, and secondly, it does seem silly to laud a coach with two SEC wins in two years, regardless of how one feels about the direction of his program or the recruiting. A little early to be using that comparison.

-Blu

Quote from: jmalott86 on August 10, 2015, 09:51:01 pm
I believe he is talking about recruiting, not W/L record.

I don't follow football recruiting like basketball, but I just looked at 247sports, and the 2015 football recruiting class is ranked #11 out of #14 in the SEC.

And if you want to discuss recruiting, technically CMA has had 2 top 15 classes since he's been at Arkansas.  How many has CBB had?  One CMA retained the players from Pelphrey (He still gets credit for keeping that class together) then in 2013 he was able to have a top 15 class as well.  And he currently has a top 2016 and 2017 class.  Now it's really early, but from the looks of it both of those classes should be solid.  But again, rankings don't mean anything without wins.... I'll take our 2012 class all day long over that highly touted 2011 class. 

jmalott86

Quote from: -Blu on August 10, 2015, 11:27:38 pm
I don't follow football recruiting like basketball, but I just looked at 247sports, and the 2015 football recruiting class is ranked #11 out of #14 in the SEC.

And if you want to discuss recruiting, technically CMA has had 2 top 15 classes since he's been at Arkansas.  How many has CBB had?  One CMA retained the players from Pelphrey (He still gets credit for keeping that class together) then in 2013 he was able to have a top 15 class as well.  And he currently has a top 2016 and 2017 class.  Now it's really early, but from the looks of it both of those classes should be solid.  But again, rankings don't mean anything without wins.... I'll take our 2012 class all day long over that highly touted 2011 class. 

I don't care about rankings, I am talking about recruiting quality players. Even without the suspensions, our team was going to be outgunned. For gods sake we are relying on a guy from Kennesaw state to hold down the post. He cant recruit and/or evaluate consistently, bottom line.

I would be curious to re-rank Bielemas classes vs CMAs classes based on performance (not star ratings) over 3-4 years.

Peter Porker

August 11, 2015, 04:26:41 am #254 Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:46:17 am by Peter Porker

You do realize we are heading into year 3 of CBB's tenure? You do also realize the SEC football conference and the SEC basketball conference are no comparison at all? You do realize that the SEC West in football is stronger the last 2 years than it's been maybe ever? You do realize there are only 2 basketball powers out of 14 teams in the SEC right now? You do realize we gave CMA a top 10 salary? You do realize it's easier to turnover a basketball roster than it is a football roster? You do realize that we shouldn't be rebuilding in basketball this season?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: -Blu on August 10, 2015, 11:27:38 pm

Wow! You give him credit for Pelphrey's recruiting? Lol Heck, let's give him credit for Nolan's national championship too.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HoopS

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 10, 2015, 06:57:08 pm
If CBB were this mediocre after this many years you'd be calling for his job.
recruiting rankings won't get anyone fired. What matters are the results of the season. 27 wins is not mediocre. Now, I get it. Our roster looks less than what we expect it to. Having two bounce early to the NBA is a huge deal for a program at the level we've been. People who make decisions know this and understand what it does to the roster. Three getting in trouble, however, goes as a strike against MA and should we start to see similar things pop up, those 27 wins will be yesterday's news and he will be on thin ice. But as for now, this is an anomaly.

Peter Porker

Quote from: HoopS on August 11, 2015, 07:30:19 am
recruiting rankings won't get anyone fired. What matters are the results of the season. 27 wins is not mediocre. Now, I get it. Our roster looks less than what we expect it to. Having two bounce early to the NBA is a huge deal for a program at the level we've been. People who make decisions know this and understand what it does to the roster. Three getting in trouble, however, goes as a strike against MA and should we start to see similar things pop up, those 27 wins will be yesterday's news and he will be on thin ice. But as for now, this is an anomaly.

27 wins in one season isn't mediocre. 27 wins sandwiched by crap seasons is.

HoopS

That hasn't happened. If things play out a some think they will, then he will have trouble keeping his job. But right now if you charted his wins, you'd see a steady climb up. Most expect a drop this season. What that chart does in the next couple years will determine his future.

hogsanity

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 08:44:13 am
27 wins in one season isn't mediocre. 27 wins sandwiched by crap seasons is.

There is NO EXCUSE for season 5 being worse than season 4.  By that point they are all your players, and your upper classmen should have all been in your system for 3 or 4 seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

-Blu

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 04:26:41 am
You do realize we are heading into year 3 of CBB's tenure? You do also realize the SEC football conference and the SEC basketball conference are no comparison at all? You do realize that the SEC West in football is stronger the last 2 years than it's been maybe ever? You do realize there are only 2 basketball powers out of 14 teams in the SEC right now? You do realize we gave CMA a top 10 salary? You do realize it's easier to turnover a basketball roster than it is a football roster? You do realize that we shouldn't be rebuilding in basketball this season?

It's funny your making excuses for CBB, but wanting to bash CMA.  "SEC is football is so hard" "He's only in year 3" "SEC west is really tough".  Ok, that means recruiting should be a lot easier since all good players want to play in the SEC, if you can't handle playing in the SEC don't come here.  Had CMA only won 14% of his conference games in 2 years, you'd probably be dedicating all your time posting and calling radio shows trying to get him fired.  And information that you like to conveniently leave out, the football program was in a much better situation than basketball program.  2 years before CBB took over this was a top 10 program.  2 years before CMA took over we were getting beat at home by mid-majors.

And who said anything about rebuilding?  We haven't even played a game this season yet, have you traveled to the future and watched the season yet?  You must know more than Lunardi, because the first bracketlogy he put out had Arkansas in the tournament.

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 04:29:17 am

Wow! You give him credit for Pelphrey's recruiting? Lol Heck, let's give him credit for Nolan's national championship too.

So, let me get this straight, when CBB keeps guys like Rafe Peavy and other recruits that Petrino recruited, he gets credit for keeping them, but if CMA keeps a class together, he's a poor recruiter and doesn't get credit?  What does he get credit for?  Apparently doesn't get credit for recruiting and  developing players like Coty Clarke, Michael Qualls, and Bobby Portis, who are all on NBA rosters right now.  He doesn't get credit for having the best season in 20 years.  But, he does get credit for potentially having a bad season, on a season that hasn't happened yet?  LOL, you guys are jokes, go back to MMQB with that mess.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2015, 09:36:05 am
There is NO EXCUSE for season 5 being worse than season 4.  By that point they are all your players, and your upper classmen should have all been in your system for 3 or 4 seasons.
They haven't played season five yet.

Anderson doesn't need an excuse. Two guys left after saying they were staying. The 2015 period was virtually over by then but Mike still managed to bring in a kid this summer. We'll see how he works out.

He gambled on another kid being able to clear the clearinghouse. If there's no excuse for that then there's no excuse for the boatload of successful college coaches who've taken the same chance.

As for the three suspended players, yeah I'm sure Mike screwed up by not realizing they were going to get arrested and not recruiting replacements. Yeah, there's no excuse for not being psychic.

WarPig88

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 10, 2015, 06:57:08 pm
If CBB were this mediocre after this many years you'd be calling for his job.

CBB will have to do a lot more winning to get to mediocrity. As of right now, he has a losing record as our coach.

I would say that YOU are the only one here with unrealistic views of Hog coaches at the moment.

HoopS

sure there is. Like two of your vets opting for the NBA. Unless we are Kentucky or Duke, we understand that losing these two will be next to impossible to replace.

The part that MA better make sure doesn't become a trend is the stunt the three knuckleheads pulled. Keep that up and he will lose his job.

This season should see the first W dip in his tenure. The following climb will be essential. Should that not happen, then the program will be considered to be trending the wrong way. One season will not. Only if it becomes a pattern. I doubt it will.

-Blu

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 11, 2015, 09:50:40 am

Anderson doesn't need an excuse. Two guys left after saying they were staying. The 2015 period was virtually over by then but Mike still managed to bring in a kid this summer. We'll see how he works out.

He gambled on another kid being able to clear the clearinghouse. If there's no excuse for that then there's no excuse for the boatload of successful college coaches who've taken the same chance.

As for the three suspended players, yeah I'm sure Mike screwed up by not realizing they were going to get arrested and not recruiting replacements. Yeah, there's no excuse for not being psychic.

Thank you Mike.  I don't know why these guys feel like they have to bash CMA on every single thing.  It's getting really old.  And these guys are not even putting together rational arguments.  Guys are complaining about a season that hasn't even happened yet.

WarPig88

There is currently a coach that you would have been calling for his firing for about 2 years now in our own league that you would also claim is a better coach than ours.

As a matter of fact, his school has been far more relevant in the new millennium than Hog basketball has. This is his 17th season at the same school.

In years 14, 15, and 16, he is a whopping 6 games over .500.

73-61 is the record over the last 4 seasons of a coach many were touting for our position when MA was hired. This will be his 11th season as head coach at this same school.

Why is it two coaches at schools who have been more relevant in the decade prior to MA being here get a pass to rebuild years into their tenures but the coach at the U of A who unlike these other two, has never had a losing season, can't get any realistic perspective from fans like you immediately following a 27 win season?

hawginbigd1

There are many inherent issues in comparing football and basketball i.e. number of players, physical ability to contribute early, # of games etc. To compare SEC BB to FB as somehow being equally difficult, then you probably don't know the difference between shoulder pads and maxi-pads. There is absolutely no reason to disparage CBB or football to defend CMA or the other way.

If you can't see the difference in 3 years recruiting for FB vs. 4 years of BB however you are not paying attention. FB will most likely lose 11 starters including 5 or 6 of the best players after this season ( 3 probably leaving early), and the majority of people will not expect much if any decline in on the field performance, because there is depth on the roster. This is still not apples to apples, but I feel much better about recruiting in FB than I do in BB. I feel not as bad about BB as I did a week ago however, but see no possible way that anything happens the rest of the summer that will bring the 2 on equal footing for me.

WarPig88

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 11, 2015, 10:51:10 am
There are many inherent issues in comparing football and basketball i.e. number of players, physical ability to contribute early, # of games etc. To compare SEC BB to FB as somehow being equally difficult, then you probably don't know the difference between shoulder pads and maxi-pads. There is absolutely no reason to disparage CBB or football to defend CMA or the other way.

If you can't see the difference in 3 years recruiting for FB vs. 4 years of BB however you are not paying attention. FB will most likely lose 11 starters including 5 or 6 of the best players after this season ( 3 probably leaving early), and the majority of people will not expect much if any decline in on the field performance, because there is depth on the roster. This is still not apples to apples, but I feel much better about recruiting in FB than I do in BB. I feel not as bad about BB as I did a week ago however, but see no possible way that anything happens the rest of the summer that will bring the 2 on equal footing for me.

You use a word that is critical in this debate, "feel". I am not criticizing you in any way because you admit that is what your gut is telling you.

The truth is that both basketball and football recruiting are on the same level they have pretty much always been on. I heard one of our Razorback recruiting guys on the radio say just yesterday that our recruiting rankings are where they have always been in football. That gets a lot of people mad on this site even though it is true. He said that the difference is in the depth of Oline and Dline kids that have been brought in.

We are bringing in the same level of talent that we have historically brought in to both programs. It's just that the emphasis on what type of talent is needed changes. With CBB, it's been the lines and they have done a fantastic job. With MA, it's been about upgrading in terms of athleticism and he is doing a good job at that.

Both have won more games each season than the previous up to this point and most people are actually expecting a bit of a step back next season in football because of the fact that we will have a new starter at qb and could lose a lot of experience on the O line. Does that mean CBB can't recruit? It shouldn't.

HF#1

Quote from: HF#1 on August 10, 2015, 11:38:12 am
This is easy...

It's a struggle because we don't win enough consistently.

It's amazing folks just ignore this.  It's the 100% absolute truth. 

Mike has to win with average/good players before we consistently land players good enough to get in the tournament year in and year out.

We need 2-4 years of sustained success.  Especially to get the attention of in-state talent.  Cause right now, Kentucky is the preferred choice of elite talent in this state.

In basketball, a single 27 win season and a tournament appearance isn't going to get you anything.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 11, 2015, 10:06:38 am
There is currently a coach that you would have been calling for his firing for about 2 years now in our own league that you would also claim is a better coach than ours.

As a matter of fact, his school has been far more relevant in the new millennium than Hog basketball has. This is his 17th season at the same school.

In years 14, 15, and 16, he is a whopping 6 games over .500.

73-61 is the record over the last 4 seasons of a coach many were touting for our position when MA was hired. This will be his 11th season as head coach at this same school.

Why is it two coaches at schools who have been more relevant in the decade prior to MA being here get a pass to rebuild years into their tenures but the coach at the U of A who unlike these other two, has never had a losing season, can't get any realistic perspective from fans like you immediately following a 27 win season?

Where did I even mention another coach, much less say they should get a pass?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on August 11, 2015, 12:11:04 pm

In basketball, a single 27 win season and a tournament appearance isn't going to get you anything.

except a pass

Peter Porker

You recruit your problems.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2015, 01:29:45 pm
except a pass
well, it sure won't put one on the hot seat. MA has improve his WL record every season so far. Most likely that will earn he or anyone else a little more time.

-Blu

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 02:29:33 pm

Are you CBB's nephew or something?  You can't make a single post without some type of reference to him or something he's said.  If you want to talk about him and his accomplishments then go to MMQB there's plenty of football fans there, clearly jump ball is for basketball fans.

But, while your still here, since you know everything.  Could you please post Beard, Williams, and Thomas criminal history for us please, since obviously there must have been signs and previous records that showed they would take counterfeit money from someone.  Oh, wait I know, CMA clearly forgot to do the ole offer the kid counterfeit money on his official visit and see if he will take it trick, shame on him.

And another side note for you.  If your going to have Love God and Love Others as a saying on your avatar.  Why don't you actually practice that.  Your coming on here badmouthing a coach and his players and telling us how bad he is at his job and how bad these kids are he's recruiting. I don't think that's the definition of loving others, what about you?

hogsanity

I just think going into year 5, your roster should be able to handle a couple of players leaving, for any reason. When you have a talent like Portis, you have to plan like they will leave, and if they do not, then lucky you.  I'll give him Qualls, when the season started, not sure anyone even gave him leaving as a thought.

Even before the leagal issue of the 3 suspended players, he was in a bind, and the roster was short. HE mishandled Babb, terribly imo, and watched him walk away. Then, knowing he really needed a player on campus, he takes a chance on Kapita, and that did not work out. 

There just really should not be this much uncertainty heading into anyone's 5th year.

And no, he should not get any blame, at all, for the three currently on suspension.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 02:29:33 pm
Nonsense. Anderson has had one issue like this in four seasons. Try something else. That stuff won't fly.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2015, 01:29:14 pm
Where did I even mention another coach, much less say they should get a pass?

Your entire premise is that an established coach shouldn't be "rebuilding" this far into his tenure. I just gave examples of two guys I am sure you would prefer to MA who have been at their jobs much longer and are in MULTIPLE YEAR rebuilds at this point.

They are Matt Painter and Kevin Stallings.

Peter Porker

Quote from: -Blu on August 11, 2015, 03:21:39 pm
Are you CBB's nephew or something?  You can't make a single post without some type of reference to him or something he's said.  If you want to talk about him and his accomplishments then go to MMQB there's plenty of football fans there, clearly jump ball is for basketball fans.

But, while your still here, since you know everything.  Could you please post Beard, Williams, and Thomas criminal history for us please, since obviously there must have been signs and previous records that showed they would take counterfeit money from someone.  Oh, wait I know, CMA clearly forgot to do the ole offer the kid counterfeit money on his official visit and see if he will take it trick, shame on him.

And another side note for you.  If your going to have Love God and Love Others as a saying on your avatar.  Why don't you actually practice that.  Your coming on here badmouthing a coach and his players and telling us how bad he is at his job and how bad these kids are he's recruiting. I don't think that's the definition of loving others, what about you?

1. Pot Meet Kettle

Quote from: -Blu on March 07, 2010, 01:46:25 pm
Thank you!  These last 2 years under Pelphrey has been an embarrasement. There is no way they fire Heath and he made the tourney his last 2 years, and not fire Pelphrey.

I love post history. It allows you to easily find the hypocrites.

2. Ahhhhh This Is Why You BLINDLY Follow CMA

Quote from: -Blu on March 23, 2010, 08:52:22 pm
man..... this is the worse news I've heard in a while.  I'm sorry but Pelphrey is not the answer for razorback basketball.  I watched Mizzou play in the tournament, that full court press made my heart tingle it took me back to my childhood watching the razorbacks 40 minutes of hell.  That style of play represents what razorback basketball is and should always be. 

For the first time in my life, after watching razorback basketball since I was 5 years old, I really don't care what they do next year as long as Pelphrey is the coach.  Good Luck with Pel....

You thought by hiring CMA you were going to get the Nolan years back. How's that working out for you?

3. Welp, It's Here Now (so are we gonna win it all)

Quote from: -Blu on December 01, 2012, 04:56:39 pm
I think Michelson just really struggles in MA's system.  He always starts off the game looking pretty solid, then as the pace speeds up he completely disappears and gets out played.  Unless something changes I don't see him sticking around here for another year.  I think he would maximize his potential in a more half-court oriented team.  With that said, I can say the same thing about Powell, I don't think he is at his full potential in MA's system.  He is constantly out of position on defense and has slow lateral speed and commits very silly fouls on a regular basis.

I can't wait until we get a full roster of MA's recruits, what a lot of people don't understand is that you have to have certain type of players to play in this system, you can't just put anyone in it and expect them to be successful.  As of right now we only have a handful of guys that are the "right" fit.  I keep hearing people say this type of style hasn't work since the 90's, that's completely untrue, MA has had huge success at UAB and Mizzou running the same type of style at lesser programs, we will get there.

On a positive note I was really impressed with Dee Wagner and Jacorey Williams, they showed no fear as freshmen in a huge basketball game.  These guys are the type of players that can play in this system and will be great in it.  As of right now I only see Young, Wade, Madden, Wagner, Williams, and Clarke, being the only people truly comfortable playing at this pace.  Scott, I don't know about, he is so inconsistent I don't know what's going on with him sometimes.  And Bell has got to get these jitters out of him, you can tell he can shoot, but some of his shots have just been ugly.  I still think we will be in the mix come around Tournament time, and looking forward to the rest of the season.

What ya think? Elite 8 or Final 4 this year?

4. Is That Right?

Quote from: -Blu on January 30, 2013, 01:16:11 am
I agree with most on here that our biggest problem is we can't shoot.  Unless we can shoot the ball we will struggle on the road.  I don't think Mike anticipated that we would be this bad at shooting.  I mean you would assume Wade, who lead the sec in 3 point field goal percentage last year, would come back this year with an even better stroke.  We bring in Anthlon Bell, who everyone thought would be a key guy off the bench coming in and hitting 3's for us, but has really struggled. You would assume BJ, who shot the 3 ball decently last year would improve, and I'm sure Anderson saw that Powell had the ability to make outside shots as well.  None of those guys except Powell has improved their shooting, and that has been a problem.

With that said, I must admit I was upset after the USC loss, but people on here are acting like we are 7-12, with a 1-5 conference record.  We're 12-7 (3-3) which isn't bad. Yes, the USC loss was a bad loss, but we are still in the mix, we get a win at Alabama, or even if we lose at Alabama and take care of our home court against Tennessee and Florida, we will still be right where we need to be. In my opinion we are moving in the right direction, just 3 seasons ago we were losing to Morgan State, East Tennessee St., and South Alabama at home.

And I don't know what's up with all the Mike Anderson bashing.  He's been here a year and a half and people expect him to just erase a decade of a poor basketball program, let him get his recruits in here, and get guys that want to play this style of basketball and buy in to it.  Anyone can see that some of these guys aren't buying in to this play style and I honestly think that's holding us back a little bit.  We got guys making twitter posts when they don't get to play as much as they like, instead of worrying about getting ready for the next game.  Let's be honest this play style isn't for everyone, and you can't make everyone buy in to it.  The majority of the kids that are here didn't sign with Arkansas to play like this, so it may take longer than a year to get these guys to see the light.  Mike is a winner, and has proven it everywhere he has been.  He will put Arkansas back on the map, It just may not be as quickly as some of you guys want.  In my opinion we are progressing like we should be.  I still think we'll finish up conference play at 10-8, and give ourselves a chance to be considered for the tournament.  And I say by the end of Mike's 4th year this razorback program will be where we expect it to be and where it should be.

WarPig88

Peter Porker

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 11, 2015, 06:06:59 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Obtuse

But you're willing to wait forever in basketball...

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 12, 2014, 12:40:14 pm
We were a dumpster fire when Petrino got here. Truly devoid of talent all over the field. One running back, no 4 star qbs, 1 receiver, no defensive linemen or secondary.

In year 2, we won 9 games. In years 3 and 4, we finished in the top 10.

Sorry, but I am not willing to wait over half a decade to be a player anymore.

Like him or not, Petrino showed the potential of this program and it is greater then the potential of Miss St.

-Blu

I'm confused...What exactly did you find?  That I thought Pelphrey wasn't a good coach in 2010, after we had multiple losing seasons? Congratulations.  I could have told you that without you wasting your whole afternoon going through my post history LOL.  And apparently our AD, and most other ADs agreed with my assessment considering he got fired and hasn't had another head coaching opportunity. 

And your trying to change the subject, your the one coming over here, bashing a coach that just had 27 wins, and trying to diminish his accomplishments with a coach that has 2 conference wins in 2 years.  That makes absolutely no sense at all.  But, then again nothing you have said has made any sense, so it's not surprising.  Anyways, it was nice of you to visit jumpball.... Isn't football season about to start?  You sure they aren't missing you in MMQB right now?  You seem like your a poster guys would miss if they didn't see them for a while, you might want to check back with them over there.

jmalott86

Quote from: -Blu on August 11, 2015, 06:39:43 pm
I'm confused...What exactly did you find?  That I thought Pelphrey wasn't a good coach in 2010, after we had multiple losing seasons? Congratulations.  I could have told you that without you wasting your whole afternoon going through my post history LOL.  And apparently our AD, and most other ADs agreed with my assessment considering he got fired and hasn't had another head coaching opportunity. 

And your trying to change the subject, your the one coming over here, bashing a coach that just had 27 wins, and trying to diminish his accomplishments with a coach that has 2 conference wins in 2 years.  That makes absolutely no sense at all.  But, then again nothing you have said has made any sense, so it's not surprising.  Anyways, it was nice of you to visit jumpball.... Isn't football season about to start?  You sure they aren't missing you in MMQB right now?  You seem like your a poster guys would miss if they didn't see them for a while, you might want to check back with them over there.

I maybe should have changed the title of the original post to "Why is CONSISTENT recruiting and player RETENTION such a struggle here". Seems to be a lot of transfers and guys that just don't work out. A basketball program can be turned around in one season if you have the recruiting gusto to do it, but no more than three seasons. We were blessed to have the conference player of the year in our back yard and wanted to come here. Now that he is gone we can see how bare the cupboard has been for years.

Hoggard

Quote from: -Blu on August 11, 2015, 03:21:39 pm

Plus 1 Why is it always the ones openly proclaiming their love for God are always the most judgmental and hateful among us ?  Nail meet hammer.
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

Hoggard

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 05:25:57 pm
1. Pot Meet Kettle

You thought by hiring CMA you were going to get the Nolan years back. How's that working out for you?

4. Is That Right?

Come on Peter. Even Kentucky has down years. NIT seasons where they exit early sound familiar ? I don't understand why you want to compare football to basketball either. CBB may not be the x's and o's guys that Petrino was but he's getting us there his way. And so far we are improving and thats fine with me.

As far as basketball goes we haven't even had a down year yet... Every year under Mike has been an improvement. Now you can look at next years roster and say that you don't expect us to make the NCAA's.  But they haven't played yet. So that makes you look like someone with an agenda. Even if we do have a down year so what ? Cal has them. All coaches have them. You clearly have an anti Mike agenda.. Why ? Did he not recruit you or your son or something ? Did he ignore you at Denny's or something ?
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hoggard on August 11, 2015, 09:03:37 pm
Plus 1 Why is it always the ones openly proclaiming their love for God are always the most judgmental and hateful among us ?  Nail meet hammer.

Where am i being hateful?

To answer your question about football, warpig88 hasn't let up off of CBB since he's been here. That's why I brought that up.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 09:23:58 pm

To answer your question about football, warpig88 hasn't let up off of CBB since he's been here. That's why I brought that up.
You need to cool it. You're about to get this thread canned.

WarPig88

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2015, 06:30:30 pm

But you're willing to wait forever in basketball...

We just had a 27 win season and advanced in the NCAA tourney for the second time in 15 years after a steady progression in wins for the program.

I see why you would be so disappointed........................................sarcasm off

WarPig88

??????????

WarPig88

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 30, 2015, 04:26:10 pm
Overall Football recruiting is right where it has been. Sure there were a couple of down years, but they were outliers, not the norm.

Where CBB is doing what hasn't been done here before is on the offensive line. There is no argument that what is going on in that unit is unheard of around here. We are talking about not only having talent there, but depth of talent as well. That hasn't been done here since integration.

Is this an example of your accusation?

Hoggard

1. Pot Meet Kettle

4. Is That Right?

This is where you are being hateful. I love God as much as anyone but I don't believe He wants us to be hateful to each other.  Accusing a poster of blindly following our basketball coach ... Thats not very kind. Why can't Hog fans support their coach ? Why is that a problem for you ? What great injustice has he done to you and yours ?  All he has done is steadily improved the program since he arrived. Ok so it may be fair to say that next year COULD be a down year. But why jump off the bandwagon before the season even starts ? SMH.

Also you called another poster a hypocrite. Last I checked thats not a compliment. Are we going to make the elite 8 or final four this year. Its not impossible is it ? So what if we don't only 4 teams make it that far. Is that the bar every year for you ? Because I'm not sure even Cal can achieve that at Kentucky even with all the talent he gets.

Posts like this are one of the reasons I was unsure of joining the site to begin with. Its tiring to see people dog the program you love. Especially on a site thats dedicated to said fans. I could understand if you had some reason to be frustrated. Or if we had another HDN on our hands. But I just don't see that. IF Mike doesn't bring in a decent class in 2016 then he needs to evaluate his assistants and consider bringing in a top notch recruiter imo. But he's a dam good coach and I'm happy with what he's done.

porkinsons disease

1. Pot Meet Kettle

4. Is That Right?

Enough said. +1000. Too many excuses.......b,b,bbbut  we won 27 games last year....embrace mediocrity
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hoggard on August 12, 2015, 12:37:19 am
This is where you are being hateful. I love God as much as anyone but I don't believe He wants us to be hateful to each other.  Accusing a poster of blindly following our basketball coach ... Thats not very kind. Why can't Hog fans support their coach ? Why is that a problem for you ? What great injustice has he done to you and yours ?  All he has done is steadily improved the program since he arrived. Ok so it may be fair to say that next year COULD be a down year. But why jump off the bandwagon before the season even starts ? SMH.

Also you called another poster a hypocrite. Last I checked thats not a compliment. Are we going to make the elite 8 or final four this year. Its not impossible is it ? So what if we don't only 4 teams make it that far. Is that the bar every year for you ? Because I'm not sure even Cal can achieve that at Kentucky even with all the talent he gets.

Posts like this are one of the reasons I was unsure of joining the site to begin with. Its tiring to see people dog the program you love. Especially on a site thats dedicated to said fans. I could understand if you had some reason to be frustrated. Or if we had another HDN on our hands. But I just don't see that. IF Mike doesn't bring in a decent class in 2016 then he needs to evaluate his assistants and consider bringing in a top notch recruiter imo. But he's a dam good coach and I'm happy with what he's done.

I'm going to PM you because 1. the thread doesn't need to be hijacked and 2. I don't think you understand what Christianity means. Like, you don't have to compliment everyone. The Bible says, "don't throw your pearls bedore swine." How is one to know who/what swine is? Continued in PM....

Peter Porker

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 11, 2015, 11:34:54 pm
Is this an example of your accusation?

More like this, and there are others

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 28, 2014, 08:48:45 pm
I agree.

The posters who blindly support a coach who is now 0-11 in SEC play probably have an agenda.

latrops

Quote from: Hoggard on August 12, 2015, 12:37:19 am
I could understand if you had some reason to be frustrated. Or if we had another HDN on our hands. But I just don't see that. IF Mike doesn't bring in a decent class in 2016 then he needs to evaluate his assistants and consider bringing in a top notch recruiter imo. But he's a dam good coach and I'm happy with what he's done.

If Mike doesn't bring in a good class next year, then we are likely looking at no NCAAT in 5 out of 6 years....which makes your last sentence a little perplexing to many.  Most would have expected that by years 5 and 6 we would be past worrying about whether we might make the NCAAT in either of the next two years.