Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson Era at a Crossroads.............

Started by hoglady, July 23, 2015, 06:24:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2015, 10:53:45 am
Mike isn't on the Hot seat and I haven't noticed anyone calling for his head either but anyone who doesn't believe Mike has a serious problem when it comes to this years team has their head buried in the sand. Is he capable of solving it?? Absolutely, but it remains to be seen how he'll do that.

He is not capable of solving it, at least not for this season. Solving it is going to require a GREAT recruiting class, especially if the worst case happens and Beard never plays here again.  But this season was looking bad before last week happened. They lost so much of last years team, and there was no one on the roster or coming in that was going to produce like Qualls and Portis. Whitt may turn out to be a very good, even great player, but the rest are not offensive guys any where near BP or MQ. This team was going to be offensively challenged before last week happened.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cram224

hogsanity

24-7 at UAb made the ncaat  23-11 at Mizzu made the NCAAT and won a game. He left UAB after year 4. At Mizzu in year 5 they again went 23-11 and made the ncaat but lost in rnd 1. He then left Mizzu after year 5.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 28, 2015, 11:06:43 am
Good point.

Ok, another good point.

Luck?? We're going to slide this current situation off as bad luck?

It's not been bad luck.  That is pure baloney.

Results like this are not determined by bad luck.  Each of these "tragedies" can be traced to a point of origin, and none of them had to do with bad luck.

Most of it can simply be traced to weak recruiting.  Mike and his staff had nothing but whiffs this spring, and there was a drastic need for them to hit homeruns. 

But doubles and singles would have been awesome.  But to never put the bat to the ball, well, that goes way, WAY beyond bad luck.

As far as Williams and Beard ... I remember a recent quote "You recruit your problems".  It's true.

This is not a doomsday post, nor a "fire Mike" post.  This is a post to give a perspective that needs to be acknowledged.

Mike and his staff have earned a year of grace IMO.  But I also believe they'd better be fighting their best fight out on the recruiting trail, every day, every step, because if they don't start having successes out there, things are not going to be pretty.

Mike will solve it. They have been working the recruiting trail very hard.

Mike has changed the culture in that locker room and around the program. Things were awful in Stan's last couple of years and the entirety of Opie & aunt Bee.

And I still think he can win a championship here.

PRJ

hellwonthaveme

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: hogsanity on July 28, 2015, 09:24:58 am
How so?  Like it or not, HDN had a lot of success as the Hogs HC. took the team to the seccg twice, played in several new years day bowls, beat the snot out of the Longhorns twice.

Some do not want to admit it, but a college basketball program is looked at on what it does in the post season. No one out side of of Arkansas cares if they won 27 games last year. You know what the nation saw? They saw KY blast them in the sectcg, they saw them struggle to win their 1st ncaat game, and then they saw them lose to NC. What they see for the last 4 years is two seasons of no post season, a NIT blowout at CAL, and the ncaat. What they are likely to see this year is at best a NIT appearance.

There is no way you believe anything in that first paragraph you typed out is there? Surely not.

You like to lace this argument in with well...we chased Nutt off, a fine coach and a better Christian, so why is Mike not held to the same. I will tell you why...

Mike has zero...zilch...naxa scumbag tendencies. While your football Jesus, every day he was here, had scum oozing off him, seeping out of every pore on his gimp ass body.

When you realize that, you will understand why Mike has a long leash and is beloved by his boss and his bosses boss.

And Mike is just beginning year 5. How long did the white trash guerilla family get up here again?

PRJ

hogsanity

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 28, 2015, 12:55:18 pm
There is no way you believe anything in that first paragraph you typed out is there? Surely not.

You like to lace this argument in with well...we chased Nutt off, a fine coach and a better Christian, so why is Mike not held to the same. I will tell you why...

Mike has zero...zilch...naxa scumbag tendencies. While your football Jesus, every day he was here, had scum oozing off him, seeping out of every pore on his gimp ass body.

When you realize that, you will understand why Mike has a long leash and is beloved by his boss and his bosses boss.

And Mike is just beginning year 5. How long did the white trash guerilla family get up here again?

PRJ

I do believe everything in the 1st paragraph because it is all FACT.  They did go to the SECCG twice while HDN was HC.  They did go to several New Years day bowl games. They did kick the dog out of Texas twice, once in Austin and once in the Cotton Bowl. 

I compare Mike to Heath and Pel. As of yet, we have seen nothing better on the court than what those two did.

I have said Mike is a good guy. Never been a hint of scandal around him as a HC. I just think he is an average recruiter, and a average game day coach. 

GoHogs#1

Quote from: hogman99 on July 28, 2015, 12:54:32 pm
We will top both of those records this coming season.  If you don't agree then go kick rocks! All you haters better understand Mike is here to stay.  The current players and coaching staff are working so hard to improve so much you haters are going to eat your words. Go Mike Anderson!!! And oh yeah, Go Arkansas!?

Why the name change FCJ?
Go Hogs

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs#1 on July 28, 2015, 01:16:50 pm
Why the name change FCJ?

I believe he is making fun of FCJ, I took the post in jest.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogman99 on July 28, 2015, 12:54:32 pm
We will top both of those records this coming season.  If you don't agree then go kick rocks! All you haters better understand Mike is here to stay.  The current players and coaching staff are working so hard to improve so much you haters are going to eat your words. Go Mike Anderson!!! And oh yeah, Go Arkansas!?

If the Hogs win at least 18 games this year, I'll call it a good season under the circumstances.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 28, 2015, 12:46:47 pm
Mike will solve it. They have been working the recruiting trail very hard.

Mike has changed the culture in that locker room and around the program. Things were awful in Stan's last couple of years and the entirety of Opie & aunt Bee.

And I still think he can win a championship here.

PRJ

Hope you're right, brother.  I really do.

This program needs: 1-Stability; and 2-Sustained Success.

We really do need Mike to turn this thing around.

I am concerned by the recruiting misses.  They've simply got to get that turned around, somehow, someway.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2015, 01:28:58 pm
If the Hogs win at least 18 games this year, I'll call it a good season under the circumstances.

Yep, nothing says success like a year 5 with being on the NIT bubble.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 28, 2015, 01:41:02 pm
Yep, nothing says success like a year 5 with being on the NIT bubble.
Duke, Kentucky and UNC have all been NIT teams well into their head coaches' tenure. Having a down year IF this turns out to be one would not be exceptional for any successful head coach. Not one.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HotlantaHog on July 28, 2015, 02:06:23 pm
Duke, Kentucky and UNC have all been NIT teams well into their head coaches' tenure. Having a down year IF this turns out to be one would not be exceptional for any successful head coach. Not one.

What's the difference between those schools and Arkansas, though?

They've all won National Championships and been to Final 4s, Elite 8s and Sweet 16s regularly in the last 5-10 years. School like that having a down year every blue moon is acceptable. At Arkansas? It's more concerning because there's no real recent success to take the sting off having another NIT season (if it does come to that).

Personally, I can't stand it when people point to those schools as a reason why it's acceptable. Arkansas is building right now, so to go from 27 wins to the NIT or not even in the NIT is a problem. Shows a lack of sustainability. No one's expecting to win 27 or more games as an encore, but a return trip to the NCAAs isn't too much to ask. I think a lot of fans just want to feel like everything Anderson's built on the court (in terms of wins and postseason advancement) isn't a product of Bobby Portis.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 28, 2015, 02:13:50 pm

. I think a lot of fans just want to feel like everything Anderson's built on the court (in terms of wins and postseason advancement) isn't a product of Bobby Portis.

It wasn't, it was a product of Portis AND Qualls.

Hawg Red

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on July 28, 2015, 02:06:23 pm

While I acknowledge the point you're making there, I do believe it makes a significant difference if that NIT year was preceded and followed by many NCAA tourneys, lots and lots of NCAA tourney wins, and championships.

Don't you?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: hogsanity on July 28, 2015, 02:16:55 pm
It wasn't, it was a product of Portis AND Qualls.

And most importantly, it was a product of a league slate that was considerably less challenging than the other conference teams played.  That's also why the incessant efforts to note 27 wins rings very hollow.

LA Football fan

I give Mike props for stabilizing the APR situation, improving wins each year, and generally rebuilding this program from the ground up.   This is year 5 however, and by that time, this team is his in its entirety.  No blaming recruits being on scholarship from the previous coaches, etc.  This team is still good though.  Losing Beard would be like losing your returning starting qb.  That is the one loss that will bite this team next year.

Mike has the ability to recruit some big time players in here but the question is can he close the deal.  The NCAA has basically just turned a blind eye to overseeing recruiting, and teams are buying players left and right again because of this.  The good news is we have some big time talent coming through the state that we should be able to land in spite of other teams bag men.  Mike can reload with this talent as long as he can keep it in state.  I think him and his staff will still bring in a few high level players from other states as well.  Mike just needs to hold what he has on hand together and load up in the fall signing period.  Kapita will get here, but just a year later than expected.  Add him to some more top level talent and I believe we are a couple years away from a significant run of good to great seasons. 

I am disappointed this happened and the fact we really didn't have much luck in the spring recruiting period.  As others have said though, that is why this recruiting class is Mike's crossroads here.  He has been here long enough to show recruits what he wants on the floor in the way of playing style and minutes.  He has been here long enough to show this program is stable again and that they can get to the NBA from here too.  Mike has built enough credibility and job performance to have a rebuilding year without the wolves coming out.  But to keep that credibility he has to show his detractors that he IS reloading and not on a cycle of a couple years of mediocre seasons with one good season every 4th year.   A great fall recruiting class builds on that credibility and like I said, sets the table for us to get on a run beginning in 2017 that I believe could last several years.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 28, 2015, 06:12:29 pm
I give Mike props for stabilizing the APR situation, improving wins each year, and ... last several years.
Damn good post!

hogsanity

We must have the only college bball fans in America that base a coaches success off his APR, instead of wins losses and ncaat appearances. I have seen the APR brought up more in the last two weeks when people are defending Mike against the NO CALLS for his firing than I bet is ever mentioned about all other college basketball coaches combined.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: LA Football fan on July 28, 2015, 06:12:29 pm
I am disappointed this happened and the fact we really didn't have much luck in the spring recruiting period. 

What a perspective.

Man, I hope we start getting some luck in recruiting.  We just can't get no luck.  How sad.

Isn't it interesting the coaches/staffs that can really recruit well keep getting all the luck.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 09:30:51 am
We must have the only college bball fans in America that base a coaches success off his APR, instead of wins losses and ncaat appearances. I have seen the APR brought up more in the last two weeks when people are defending Mike against the NO CALLS for his firing than I bet is ever mentioned about all other college basketball coaches combined.

I wonder if some might be taking their cue from our AD?

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 09:38:37 am
I wonder if some might be taking their cue from our AD?

APR is a PART of building a successful program, but at some point all of the " he is doing such a good job at......." has to translate into meaningful wins. And like it or not, in college bball meaningful wins is winning your conference, your conf tourney, or making a deep run in the ncaat. It also has to translate into consistent success.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 09:41:59 am
APR is a PART of building a successful program, but at some point all of the " he is doing such a good job at......." has to translate into meaningful wins. And like it or not, in college bball meaningful wins is winning your conference, your conf tourney, or making a deep run in the ncaat. It also has to translate into consistent success.

"At some point."

Correct. Perhaps the AD's timetable for that is different than what some on Jump Ball assume?

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 09:44:27 am
"At some point."

Correct. Perhaps the AD's timetable for that is different than what some on Jump Ball assume?

Now we are back to defining success.  My point on that has not changed since day 1 of Mike's employment as HC. He will always be judged differently than if his name was anything other than Mike Anderson. He is going to be given more time than any other coach would have been.

If the school and fans are okay with with feel good fuzzies because Mike is here and Nolan comes and sits and watches games, then I guess that is what we are going to get. And that must be the case because in his 1st 4 years he has not produced anything more than did the previous two coaches. Yet by year 4, both were facing huge outcries for their ouster.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 09:57:37 am
Now we are back to defining success.  My point on that has not changed since day 1 of Mike's employment as HC. He will always be judged differently than if his name was anything other than Mike Anderson. He is going to be given more time than any other coach would have been.

If the school and fans are okay with with feel good fuzzies because Mike is here and Nolan comes and sits and watches games, then I guess that is what we are going to get. And that must be the case because in his 1st 4 years he has not produced anything more than did the previous two coaches. Yet by year 4, both were facing huge outcries for their ouster.

There may be something else at play as well.

If I hire someone for a job that I know to be difficult, I am going to give much more latitude to a known commodity than I would to an unknown one.

ricepig

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 10:01:57 am

If I hire someone for a job that I know to be difficult, I am going to give much more latitude to a known commodity than I would to an unknown one.

Yeah, some didn't see the progression, I guess. This next year is a freebie, he'll need to land enough good recruits to give some hope for the future, IMO.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 10:01:57 am

If I hire someone for a tough job, I am going to do an exhaustive search for the BEST person to fill that job, not the best feel good story. If Mike Anderson, all his career numbers being the same, except none had been accumulated as an asst at AR, would have never even been looked at for this job, nor would he have wanted it.

I wish he had been hired to replace Nolan, right after Nolan was fired, not over a decade later. And make no mistake, he was not hired to replace Pelphrey, he was hired to replace Nolan and to try to wash away all the time in between.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2015, 10:06:52 am
Yeah, some didn't see the progression, I guess. This next year is a freebie, he'll need to land enough good recruits to give some hope for the future, IMO.

An that is the gripe some of us have, right there. Why is YEAR 5 a freebie? 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2015, 10:06:52 am

I think even his most strident detractors, which I don't consider myself to be one, acknowledge progress has been made.

But, for those people, the progress has been very slow, and not we're not progressing, but rather taking a step back.  And IMO that is troublesome, and should concern every Razorback fan.

Add to those concerns the fact our recruiting this spring was poor, when we had definite, specific needs, and that are facts present that support those concerns.

Those who have no concerns at all are so much in love with Mike, and therefore have confidence in him that goes beyond his current tenure here.

I hope those folks are right, but I'm not wrong for having my concerns.

PonderinHog

Success

Heath never won a NCAA tourney game at Arkansas.  Let's ignore the academic and off court issues for now.

Pelphrey was trending in the wrong direction and had lost control of the team on and off the court.  HoPELess, really.

Anderson has never had a losing season, has led three teams to postseason play, has corrected the APR problem and, until recently, had the off court situation under control, and has shown steady improvement on the court.

How do you define success?  Is it attainable?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2015, 10:17:34 am
Success

Heath never won a NCAA tourney game at Arkansas.  Let's ignore the academic and off court issues for now.

Pelphrey was trending in the wrong direction and had lost control of the team on and off the court.  HoPELess, really.

Anderson has never had a losing season, has led three teams to postseason play, has corrected the APR problem and, until recently, had the off court situation under control, and has shown steady improvement on the court.

You ask this question on jumpball? Tongue in cheek, right?  ;)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

bigdaddyhawg

Success

Good points and a good question.

Is the success Mike has attained so far our new standard?  If it is, then he's done a great job.

Is the success we enjoyed prior to Nolan leaving still our standard?  If that is still our standard, then the results Mike has given us are only barely acceptable, but with him trending upwards, there has been plenty of reason to believe he could attain those earlier standards.

But how do you justify a year or two of no tourney?  I know you guys like Mike very much as a person, and that's fine, but I don't see how you can justify completely changing standards to fit what's going on.

One tourney team out of 5 or 6 years?  How can that be OK?

To me, it seems you're placing your value in Mike over your value of the program as a whole. 

And I see a whole lot of shuffling to find a way to work it so Mike doesn't bear any responsibility for the current situation.  And that's simply not right.

The head coach bears the responsibility for getting the program run right, and winning on the court.  There are no exceptions.  "The buck stops here", with the head coach, and that's the way it should be.

PonderinHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 29, 2015, 10:27:09 am
Good points and a good question.

Is the success Mike has attained so far our new standard?  If it is, then he's done a great job.

Is the success we enjoyed prior to Nolan leaving still our standard?  If that is still our standard, then the results Mike has given us are only barely acceptable, but with him trending upwards, there has been plenty of reason to believe he could attain those earlier standards.

But how do you justify a year or two of no tourney?  I know you guys like Mike very much as a person, and that's fine, but I don't see how you can justify completely changing standards to fit what's going on.

One tourney team out of 5 or 6 years?  How can that be OK?

To me, it seems you're placing your value in Mike over your value of the program as a whole. 

And I see a whole lot of shuffling to find a way to work it so Mike doesn't bear any responsibility for the current situation.  And that's simply not right.

The head coach bears the responsibility for getting the program run right, and winning on the court.  There are no exceptions.  "The buck stops here", with the head coach, and that's the way it should be.
I am not a clairvoyant.  I'll have to wait and see, just like the rest of the mere mortals in here.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 10:11:24 am
An that is the gripe some of us have, right there. Why is YEAR 5 a freebie? 

Because of losing 2 starters, Williams and Beard?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2015, 10:36:41 am
I am not a clairvoyant.  I'll have to wait and see, just like the rest of the mere mortals in here.

No disrespect, as I think you're a quality poster on here, but you aren't even willing to talk about that possibility?

Unless you're in a position where you might have to make a formal decision on Mike's contract, i.e. AD, chancellor, board member, I don't understand the reluctance to even talk about that possible future.

WilsonHog

July 29, 2015, 10:44:07 am #137 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:02:43 am by Tom Bennett
Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 10:10:41 am
If Mike Anderson, all his career numbers being the same, except none had been accumulated as an asst at AR, would have never even been looked at for this job, nor would he have wanted it.

Huh??

Name me a basketball coach we have hired in the last, oh, 45 years with a better resume at the time of hire than Mike Anderson.

Wait, I'll save you the research.

Eddie Sutton: 82-50 (.621) and one NCAA Regional appearance at Creighton.

Nolan Richardson: 119-37 (.763) at Tulsa, with three NCAA First Round Exits, one NIT championship, and one NIT First Round exit.

Stan Heath: 30-6 (.833) at Kent State with one NCAA Tournament appearance (Elite Eight).

Dana Altman: 321-197 (.619) at Marshall, Kansas State, and Creighton. His teams went to the NCAA Tournament eight times and never made it past the Second Round. Five of his teams went to the NIT; one made it to Madison Square Garden.

John Pelphrey: 80-67 (.544) at South Alabama, with one NCAA First Round exit and one NIT First Round exit.

Mike Anderson: 200 and 98 (.671) at UAB and Missouri, with six NCAA Tournament appearances, including two Second Round appearances, one Sweet Sixteen, and one Elite Eight, and a NIT quarterfinal team.

The other coach reportedly in the mix when Mike was hired was Buzz Williams. At the time, his career record was 83-54 (.606) at New Orleans and Marquette, with one NCAA First Round exit, one NCAA Second Round appearance, and one Sweet Sixteen appearance.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2015, 10:41:04 am

All goes back to the late-period recruiting performance to me. Nothing Anderson can do about what happened with Williams and Beard other than deal with them, but those unfilled spots after a 27-win season and sending a conference POY to the fist round of the NBA draft increases the impact of a losses like that. And that is on Anderson. That left the team exposed if an injury or something bad like this happened. For that reason, I disagree that this season should be a freebie. In fact, I can't think of any reason why it should be outside of winning a National Championship or a period of years where the team was going deep in the tournament.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 29, 2015, 10:47:05 am
All goes back to the late-period recruiting performance to me. Nothing Anderson can do about what happened with Williams and Beard other than deal with them, but those unfilled spots after a 27-win season and sending a conference POY to the fist round of the NBA draft increases the impact of a lose like that. And that is on Anderson. That left the team exposed if an injury or something bad like this happened. For that reason, I disagree that this season should be a freebie. In fact, I can't think of any reason why it should be outside of winning a National Championship or a period of years where the team was going deep in the tournament.

Solid logic IMO.  There are truths involved here that way too many want to act as if don't exist.

That concerns me as much as what 2015-2016 will end up being.

hogsanity

Success is making the NCAAT 7 out of 10 years, the NIT in two of the other 3, and one year with no post season.

I was writing off year 1 and 2 for whoever replaced Pelphrey. No questions, asked, just let them get going. BUt, going into year 5 there should be no complete rebuild going on, and this team was in that mode BEFORE the events of last week.

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2015, 10:41:04 am

People were giving a pass BEFORE last week happened.   

PonderinHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 29, 2015, 10:43:33 am
No disrespect, as I think you're a quality poster on here, but you aren't even willing to talk about that possibility?

Unless you're in a position where you might have to make a formal decision on Mike's contract, i.e. AD, chancellor, board member, I don't understand the reluctance to even talk about that possible future.
I guess I have "groan" weary of the nattering nabobs of negativity.  That said, the rebuild has taken much longer than I thought it would when Mike was hired.  And no disrespect to you, sir.

hogman99

Quote from: hogsanity on July 28, 2015, 01:23:04 pm
I believe he is making fun of FCJ, I took the post in jest.

I was intitally make fun, but after further thought I have turned over a new leaf. 

I want this team to do well, but there is not anything I can do to make that happen. I look for the coaching staff to put the work in to do whatever they can to make this team good.  Every cloud has a silver lining and maybe these off court issues will show others what not to do and how they can get you in trouble.  This can be used as a valuable teaching tool by the staff and help pull the team closer.

The staff appears to be recruiting harder than ever and that is a good positive sign. I can see us getting a few good quality players who can be difference makers, but also quality people as well which will be huge for the program. Go Hogs!!  :razorback:

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2015, 10:55:10 am
I guess I have "groan" weary of the nattering nabobs of negativity.  That said, the rebuild has taken much longer than I thought it would when Mike was hired.  And no disrespect to you, sir.

None taken.

I can understand the fatigue.  I know many on here lump me in with the constantly negative, but I don't believe that's right.  But I'm not willing to look away from what I see before me, simply in the hope that everything will be fine, somehow, someway.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 29, 2015, 10:47:05 am
All goes back to the late-period recruiting performance to me. Nothing Anderson can do about what happened with Williams and Beard other than deal with them, but those unfilled spots after a 27-win season and sending a conference POY to the fist round of the NBA draft increases the impact of a losses like that. And that is on Anderson. That left the team exposed if an injury or something bad like this happened. For that reason, I disagree that this season should be a freebie. In fact, I can't think of any reason why it should be outside of winning a National Championship or a period of years where the team was going deep in the tournament.

I would bet Jeff Long can think of a reason or two. He seems sorta competent. I think I will cosign on whatever decision our award winning AD makes. Did I mention he chairs the College Football Playoff committee? He seems pretty accomplished but maybe he'll give it all up and start posting on Hogville full-time. Just to boost his credibility.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 29, 2015, 11:02:31 am
I would bet Jeff Long can think of a reason or two. He seems sorta competent. I think I will cosign on whatever decision our award winning AD makes. Did I mention he chairs the College Football Playoff committee? He seems pretty accomplished but maybe he'll give it all up and start posting on Hogville full-time. Just to boost his credibility.

Is Jeff Long giving him a freebie? Did I miss that announcement? I wouldn't think Long would want to see a 27-win season followed by a 15-win season (or thereabouts).

No one is saying Anderson's job should be in jeopardy if we have a poor season, but to say that it basically doesn't count if he does? Ridiculous. He would be partially responsible for the Hogs have a down year (if that happens). Flip side is, it would look that much better if the team does well. But I can't get down with saying it doesn't matter if the team does bad but it does if they do well. That's essentially what a "freebie" in this situation. The season will be what it will be, and whatever happens, it's going to reflect on Anderson to whatever degree (we can argue that all day long).

PonderinHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 29, 2015, 11:02:24 am
None taken.

I can understand the fatigue.  I know many on here lump me in with the constantly negative, but I don't believe that's right.  But I'm not willing to look away from what I see before me, simply in the hope that everything will be fine, somehow, someway.
We are slowly regaining relevance, based on the 2016 recruiting offers and interest.  I'd just hate to see us cut off our nose to spite our face.  This year's team may be more scrappy than we think.  And again, I don't lump you in with the constantly negative.  Borderline, maybe...   ;)

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 29, 2015, 11:10:03 am
Is Jeff Long giving him a freebie? Did I miss that announcement? I wouldn't think Long would want to see a 27-win season followed by a 15-win season (or thereabouts).

No one is saying Anderson's job should be in jeopardy if we have a poor season, but to say that it basically doesn't count if he does? Ridiculous. He would be partially responsible for the Hogs have a down year (if that happens). Flip side is, it would look that much better if the team does well. But I can't get down with saying it doesn't matter if the team does bad but it does if they do well. That's essentially what a "freebie" in this situation. The season will be what it will be, and whatever happens, it's going to reflect on Anderson to whatever degree (we can argue that all day long).

I guess we'll have to disagree on "freebie," I don't say it doesn't count, but if we suck bad, he won't be fired type "freebie." I also agree he should have landed someone to replace Qualls, just as you said to avoid any roster disruption.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2015, 11:16:28 am
I guess we'll have to disagree on "freebie," I don't say it doesn't count, but if we suck bad, he won't be fired type "freebie." I also agree he should have landed someone to replace Qualls, just as you said to avoid any roster disruption.

they could go 10-23 and he won't even be on a seat that is warm. He is not getting fired, not after this season, not after next season. He would have to have 3 consecutive non post season seasons to get booted.

PonderinHog

"When Mike Anderson comes to the fork in the road, I hope he takes it." Yogiponderinhog.