Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spurrier Threatens To Leave SC

Started by hawg_racer, August 06, 2007, 02:17:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg_racer

"As long as I'm the coach here, we're going to take guys that qualify. If not, then I'm going to have to go somewhere else because I can't tell a young man you come to school here, he qualifies, and not do that. And we did that this year."

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20070805/PSPORTS02/70805003/-1/PSPORTS

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

usnavyhogfan

now thats spoken like a real coach. you will never hear nutt talk like that.
The dream is free, the journey is not.

MysticHog

Trade John White to SC for Steve Spurrier

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 06, 2007, 02:17:29 am
"As long as I'm the coach here, we're going to take guys that qualify. If not, then I'm going to have to go somewhere else because I can't tell a young man you come to school here, he qualifies, and not do that. And we did that this year."

That shows a great deal of character. THAT's the kind of guy I want coaching my team.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgz4Life

The head coach is the face of every college football program. It's my fault. It's nobody else's fault but mine.

This is exactly the reason why Nutt will NEVER be a D1 quality coach. Spurrier, with this one statement, summed up the job of a D1 head football coach. When you win, it was the team...when you lose, it's YOUR FAULT. Spurrier showed more class with this statement than Nutt could ever show in his entire life. Even WITH winning the Easter Seals thingy.

Boarcephus

Isn't this about the same thing that drove him from UF to the NFL?   Seems like I remember about the same scenario playing out in Gainsville but I could be wrong.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

blu

The buck always stops at the top. IF HDN could ever acknowledge that fact and take responsibility for the poor seasons/losses they have had under his tenure, then that one thing alone would go a long way towards repairing his image IMO.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

longtimeHogfan

"...And when you tell a young man that if he qualifies he's coming to your school and it doesn't happen, somebody is misleading, and it's me. I'm the guy. The head coach is the face of every college football program. It's my fault. It's nobody else's fault but mine."

Steve Superior is not one of my favorite people, but this is refreshing.  In 10 years I've never heard anything resembling that come out of Nutt's mouth.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Earl

At least Spurrier takes the full blame for this....does anyone think we might have a shot at getting "ARKee Smith"?  The name is good.

parrishw

You know I have always disliked that guy but he went a long way to getting off my s**t list with this statement.

I think we out to hire him. He always developed great QB's and had an offense that could smash your mouth or go over your head.

Defense wasn't too shabby either.

JIHawg

After this quote, I've concluded the difference in Spurrier and Nutt is day and night.

"As a head coach, one of the big things I've always tried to follow, in a player-coach relationship, honesty has to be the centerpiece of everything you have to do with your players. And it starts when you recruit them. I don't always tell recruits what they want to hear. I try to be honest with them and all I ever guarantee is an opportunity. And when you tell a young man that if he qualifies he's coming to your school and it doesn't happen, somebody is misleading, and it's me. I'm the guy. The head coach is the face of every college football program. It's my fault."

UAfanatic

August 06, 2007, 08:16:57 am #12 Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:04:16 am by UAfanatic
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2007, 05:47:37 am

That shows a great deal of character. THAT's the kind of guy I want coaching my team.

Oh yeah, I want a coach that does not take the time to understand the academic standards of the school that I work for..

It's in the same league as Les at LSU not understanding that he couldn't win the West by beating Arkansas last year.. idiots that can't read the rules...

PhillyHog

Too bad we can't give coaches a +1.

That's a really classy statement by the ole ball coach.

I wonder what the blowback from his administration was like.

PulledPork

Quote from: UAfanatic on August 06, 2007, 08:16:57 am

Oh yeah, I want a coach that does not take the time to understand the academic standards of the scool that I work for..

It's in the same league as Les at LSU not understaanding that he couldn't win the West by beating Arkansas last year.. idiots that can't read the rules...
helluvalot better than an idiot who shows off his second place bling!

Pulled out...

hogtusk

He said the right things, but the bottom line is, he or his staff mislead those kids. Spurrier is still there and those kids are out in the cold.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

wholehog92

Quote from: JIHawg on August 06, 2007, 07:51:14 am
After this quote, I've concluded the difference in Spurrier and Nutt is day and night.

"As a head coach, one of the big things I've always tried to follow, in a player-coach relationship, honesty has to be the centerpiece of everything you have to do with your players. And it starts when you recruit them. I don't always tell recruits what they want to hear. I try to be honest with them and all I ever guarantee is an opportunity. And when you tell a young man that if he qualifies he's coming to your school and it doesn't happen, somebody is misleading, and it's me. I'm the guy. The head coach is the face of every college football program. It's my fault."

X2 from me.  My eyes just started leaking when I read that from a head coach.  I have never been a fan of Spurier.  But that was refreshing.  What have we done to get this scourge on our land?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

oldhawg

Oh yeah, I want a coach that does not take the time to understand the academic standards of the scool that I work for..

It's in the same league as Les at LSU not understaanding that he couldn't win the West by beating Arkansas last year.. idiots that can't read the rules...

The "scool" you work for doesn't teach spelling?

HogNuttz

Quote from: PhillyHog on August 06, 2007, 08:24:26 am
Too bad we can't give coaches a +1.

That's a really classy statement by the ole ball coach.

I wonder what the blowback from his administration was like.

I can't imagine there was much blowback at all.  If someone at the top of the food chain at South Carolina is going to come down on someone, Spurrier's statement didn't change that.  However, he might have very well taken the heat of public opinion off of his boss or someone else and placed it on his own shoulders.  If Spurrier receives any blowback, he was going to receive it anyway and now college football fans only respect him more.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

jkcrunch

Basically Spurrier says I did not know the admission policy at South Carolina and now he is trying to mend the fence with high school coaches.  His little speech kinda reminds me of Shakespeare' work when  Marc Anthony eulogizes of Julius Caesar as he repeats the phrase "these were honorable men" in references to the senators who slew Caesar.   Spurrier " I am not blaming the president."  he sure did not but he made it clearly obvious that the president was involved in his opinion.

UAfanatic

Quote from: oldhawg on August 06, 2007, 08:33:07 am

The "scool" you work for doesn't teach spelling?

Thanks spellcheck guy... corrected

Hogblog

Quote from: MysticHog on August 06, 2007, 04:40:19 am
Trade John White & HDN to SC for Steve Spurrier

There, that's better...............

UAfanatic

I don't know why you guys like this statement so much.. It's pure spin..

His Staff did not know the academic qualifications for getting in his school.

He did NOT take ownership of the mistake.

He mistakenly slapped his own school by saying that he thought it would meet the lowest
academic qualifications allowed by the NCAA.. and didn't check any differently.

Dugann

hmmm would it nice to have a coach that has integrity like that ..oh wait we got one... i mean  :puke:
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

oldbooniehog

One quick question?

Do you think Spurrier has ever lost a player because a "paperwork problem" meant that the player had already used up his four years of eligibility, when everyone, including the player himself, thought he'd used only three because Spurrier assured that player that he had used only three years under NCAA regulations?

Just wondering....

obh

MuskogeeHogFan

Oh yeah, I want a coach that does not take the time to understand the academic standards of the school that I work for..

It's in the same league as Les at LSU not understanding that he couldn't win the West by beating Arkansas last year.. idiots that can't read the rules...

Doesn't sound like it is the coach or his staff, but rather the Administration that has their head where the sun doesn't shine, since, according to the article, it is ground they have covered before.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

Spurrier is just starting to set up his exit strategy for when he leaves after another 4 or 5 loss season.  The realization is starting to set in that SC will rarely, if ever, rise above 3rd or 4th in the SECE.  NOW, the admin staff may have dropped the ball on this one, but I dont for one minute think that SPurrier has never mislead a recruit.  They all do it when they are recruting. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Lanlord

Sounds like he got blindsided and he's pissed now.

hogsanity

The thing I liked about Spurrier the most was when he came into SC, he GOT RID OF several in sate kids who had been signed just to keep the natives happy.  HE hacked off the HS coaches to the point that they threatened to pull the HS title games out of Columbia.  Spurrier basically siad, if they are good enough for the SEC, I will keep them.  Some had off field issues, others were just not good enough to play in the SEC. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

budcampbellfan

Sounds like he wants the Arkansas job when Broyles retires and we run the nutt off.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

BartIV

Why did he make these statements?  Was someone pressuring him to get certain players that he didn't want.

wholehog92

Quote from: UAfanatic on August 06, 2007, 09:09:42 am
I don't know why you guys like this statement so much.. It's pure spin..

His Staff did not know the academic qualifications for getting in his school.
He did NOT take ownership of the mistake.
He mistakenly slapped his own school by saying that he thought it would meet the lowest
academic qualifications allowed by the NCAA.. and didn't check any differently.

"I'm embarrassed that I, and our coaches, basically misled these young men into believing they were coming here."

"I don't always tell recruits what they want to hear. I try to be honest with them and all I ever guarantee is an opportunity.[/color]
"I begged and pleaded, pleaded and begged, and our provost relented and let them in."
"I can't operate misleading young men."

I don't think there was any mistake in slapping his school.  He seemed pretty clear that he disagreed with the policy of the school.

The fanbase is desperate for people to address issues directly here.  Any resemblance to that will create longing from us.  Treating recruits to honesty is a similar refrain from fans.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hogsanity

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 06, 2007, 10:54:14 am
Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2007, 10:46:19 am
Spurrier is just starting to set up his exit strategy for when he leaves after another 4 or 5 loss season.  The realization is starting to set in that SC will rarely, if ever, rise above 3rd or 4th in the SECE.  NOW, the admin staff may have dropped the ball on this one, but I dont for one minute think that SPurrier has never mislead a recruit.  They all do it when they are recruting. 

I knew what you're response would be before I even read what you had to say.

I don't know why you think he can't have some measurable amount of success there.  Holtz had at least one and maybe two 8 wins seasons when we only played 11 games followed by two victories over a John Cooper led Ohio State team.

Spurrier is recruiting better than Holtz.  He's played everyone tough and has beaten the traditional Top 3 in the east.  I'm not predicting a national title but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave without having one or two 10 win seasons and possibly a BCS bowl. 

He's too good of a coach to put up HDN like numbers at SC for two or three more years. 

I think that may be part of your bigger point of defending HDN's record at Arkansas.  You don't think we can do much better and SC is your perfect example if the ol' ballcoach can't get it done. 

YEs, and GA & Fla are recruiting better than when Holtz was at SC as well. 

A coach can take swipes at his employer, IF he is winning.  Spurrier, so far, is not.  At least if SC fans define winning like our vocal fans do, TITLES.

Hawgballz

What makes anyone think this will be the last time he (and other college coaches) does this.  This is not the first time that players have been cut loose because he oversigned and he will do it again in 2-3 years and he will come out with this "higher than thou" speech again and everyone will call him a man of character again and nothing will change.  Winning allows him to spit out this type of bullsh!t and be praised for it and then get by with doing the same thing again later.  I am not saying the practice of oversigning players is right or wrong, but it is a fact of college football recruiting.  I bet TT at Auburn wishes he would have oversigned considering that 10 of this year's recruits did not qualify.  Much like the cheating spouse who declares each time that this is the "last time", I don't think Spurrier deserves our praise for spouting this crap unless he follows through this time.  The only thing that this "speech" is about is trying to lessen the damage to future recruiting classes since these players being turned away has hurt them PR wise.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

hogsanity

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 06, 2007, 11:16:03 am
Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2007, 11:01:32 am

I don't know why you think he can't have some measurable amount of success there.  Holtz had at least one and maybe two 8 wins seasons when we only played 11 games followed by two victories over a John Cooper led Ohio State team.

Spurrier is recruiting better than Holtz.  He's played everyone tough and has beaten the traditional Top 3 in the east.  I'm not predicting a national title but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave without having one or two 10 win seasons and possibly a BCS bowl. 

He's too good of a coach to put up HDN like numbers at SC for two or three more years. 

I think that may be part of your bigger point of defending HDN's record at Arkansas.  You don't think we can do much better and SC is your perfect example if the ol' ballcoach can't get it done. 

A coach can take swipes at his employer, IF he is winning.  Spurrier, so far, is not.  At least if SC fans define winning like our vocal fans do, TITLES.

Spurrier has been hanging in there without the players.  If you don't think he can coach circles around Fulmer, you're out of your mind.

In 2005, he beat Tennessee in Knoxville and beat Florida at home. 

In 2006, he lost to all three but was a TD away and had a 1 point loss against Florida.  If you'll recall, they had a FG blocked or would have won that game.

My point is not about moral victories.  It's the fact that he is already competitive before his recruiting has kicked into full swing despite dismissing several players when he first got there.

The east is very competitive but if you don't see him making a run or two I don't know what to tell you.   

I did not say NEVER.  I said RARELY.  I just dont think they will become the perinnial power in the SECE that FLA was under Spurrier. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 06, 2007, 11:24:33 am
Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2007, 11:18:46 am
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 06, 2007, 11:16:03 am
Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2007, 11:01:32 am

Spurrier has been hanging in there without the players.  If you don't think he can coach circles around Fulmer, you're out of your mind.

In 2005, he beat Tennessee in Knoxville and beat Florida at home. 

In 2006, he lost to all three but was a TD away and had a 1 point loss against Florida.  If you'll recall, they had a FG blocked or would have won that game.

My point is not about moral victories.  It's the fact that he is already competitive before his recruiting has kicked into full swing despite dismissing several players when he first got there.

The east is very competitive but if you don't see him making a run or two I don't know what to tell you.   

I did not say NEVER.  I said RARELY.  I just dont think they will become the perinnial power in the SECE that FLA was under Spurrier. 

No, what you said was you thought he was setting up his exit strategy after another 4 or 5 loss season.   I'm predicting a few things:

-He won't leave after this season
-He'll have more than "rare" success
-You won't be able to use him as an example to justify your position with respect to HDN

We will see on the first 2, and you know my stance on HDn.  It wont make me one bit of difference if he is or is not the coach of the Hogs.

twistitup

Do you think Spurrier would consider coming to Arkansas if Nutt left after this year...

Could we land a top notch coach like Spurrier....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Boardon Hamsay

August 06, 2007, 11:42:22 am #37 Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:44:40 am by rlh06
He loves golf so he would like the NWA area.  However, I don't think the PTB would fork out the cash to attract a coach like Spurrier.  Plus, the good old boy system at the UofA would surely have to find one of their own to make head coach.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

cmakrzrbak

He's a grade A prick, but I would accept him with open arms.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

missippihog

missippihog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 06, 2007, 11:56:03 am
Quote from: missippihog on August 06, 2007, 11:54:31 am
Way to far from Augutsa National.

Papaw can fly him down there. 

Still too far away. He wants to be able to get in a round after practice.

PigWig

I don't think I want Spurrier anymore.  At one point I did, but not now.

He hasn't really done much at USC except get them bowl eligible and have a few mediocre years.  I don't know how great of a coach he is, away from the fertile recruiting hotbed that is Florida.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2007, 11:37:50 am
Do you think Spurrier would consider coming to Arkansas if Nutt left after this year...

Yes, we could if.............
1) Have to open up the check book.
2) JFB would have to be relegated to being a good will respresentive(and even that would be shaky with the things that periodically come out of his mouth these days).
3) The meddling would have to stop(50-75% of this accomplished by putting JFB out to pasture).
4) Free Pinnacle Membership for life( as well as periodic trips to Augusta).

This guy could and would absolutely revive our program, synergize donations, the fan base and take us to BCS land.
Go Hogs Go!

HangTenHog

He wouldn't be my first pick....having said that, he would be an upgrade.

However, I reckon he would look at our position as a lateral move. We all know better; however, in the grand scheme of things, this position doesn't give a higher profile for him to make a move. Additionally, the next coach is going to face some high expectations with a cupboard getting barer (watch the amount of talent that moves on this year).

IMHO, only a true innovator would have success after Nutt's demise. 

kgr

How many SEC championships has he won?

How many has Ark. won?

How many N.C. has he won?

How many has Ark. won?

cbjagman

I doubt it. As much as I detest SS at times, I also admire his attitude of accepting nothing less than the best and his willingness to take responsibilty for problems with the program. None of these traits, as much as they're needed, are present in our current HC. In addition, Spurrier seems to sincerely care about winning and getting the program to another level. Another quality that IMHO is definitely lacking in much of the current Athletic Dept and BOTs.

hogfan064

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2007, 12:06:06 pm

Yes, we could if.............
1) Have to open up the check book.
2) JFB would have to be relegated to being a good will respresentive(and even that would be shaky with the things that periodically come out of his mouth these days).
3) The meddling would have to stop(50-75% of this accomplished by putting JFB out to pasture).
4) Free Pinnacle Membership for life( as well as periodic trips to Augusta).

This guy could and would absolutely revive our program, synergize donations, the fan base and take us to BCS land.

We wouldn't have to open the checkbook up.  Spurrier is payed nearly the same as Nutt is.  He actually turned down more $$ at USC to give to assistants and other athletic departments.  $$ wouldn't be a factor.

Spurrier loves USC, but this recent development with the president has angered him.  Leaving for a SEC program like Arkansas isn't impossible, just not sure if it would be likely.

Seconds

Quote from: kgr on August 06, 2007, 12:15:37 pm
How many SEC championships has he won?

How many has Ark. won?

How many N.C. has he won?

How many has Ark. won?

Boo-ya!
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.