Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everyone is Just Giddy!

Started by Brand X Hog Fan, July 31, 2007, 07:59:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ish O

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on July 31, 2007, 07:59:16 pm
OK guys, Devin Thomas is the 50th best runningback in the country according to Dudley. He is HDN's 19th to sign. I have had several people come up to me today just beaming that we have 18 or 19 recruits signed and what a wonderful job HDN is doing! I don't follow recruiting much but signing the 50th best RB to fill the spots to be vacated by two top 10 backs doesn't make me giddy. I appreciate Thomas' coming to Arkansas and I am sure he will be a great back here but is he the guy to sustain a dominant presence with?

Also, aren't a large number of the recruits receivers? We've seen this before in the past with Snowden, Smith and those guys. Nutt recruited a bunch of great receivers that looked really spiffy running warm up drills before the game.

Please fill me in on why I should be ecstatic because of the recent recruiting "success."

Wow. Just wow. Was Dmac the #1 RB in the country coming in as a true Freshman? I believe I read from some of these same "experts" that he should be a free safety. I guess you're a glass is half empty kind of guy.

maximus

you said "beaming" and "giddy" in your posts, thats not great.  are you an interior decorator?
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

little pigee

Quote from: JoeHog27 on July 31, 2007, 08:35:25 pm
the fact is they see something great in all these recruits beyond just a position on the field we forget that not all projected great players turn out great you have to be about to scout that greatest and develop it.
If he runs on like your sentence he will set records!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

hog_heaven_2000

Does anybody know how high Fred Talley was ranked coming out of high school? I bet he wasn't the #1 RB in the nation. He was still a good player for us. Butu was a 1star out of high school. He was a good player for us, too. This star ranking crap is actually a bunch of BS. If you want to know if a recruit is good or not, look at his videos. Ask yourself, "Does he look like could play in the SEC?" I'm impressed by some of the recruits in this class. I'm not that impressed with some of them. If you want to learn more about recruiting, hang out on the Recruiting Forum. They ask that you leave your agendas, for or against Nutt, at the door. The Recruiting Forum is just about sharing information about recruiting.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

BartIV

I am just giddy that kids are still even considering coming to Arkansas.  We should be thankful for just that, especially after the stink that Houston Nutt created.

Choctaw Hog

It's way too early to get excited about where a bunch of verbal commitments rank.  However, for those or you who insist on touting this as a great group ask yourself this this.  What top programs, or ones on the rise, do you think would want to trade us classes? USC? Texas? LSU? Florida? Alabama? Oklahoma? etc.  I may be wrong but I don't think there would be many takers.

ICEman

Go watch his video on rivals.com, the kid is impressive.  Besides, he has a classic running back sounding name - Devin Thomas - which is kind of reminiscent of Thurman Thomas the great 5' 10" back from OSU and the Bills.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Puerco Diablo

Yep.  Avg star ratings on Rivals is 2.89.  That is consistant with what HDN brings in every year.  The only real difference is the amount of early commits, but that seems to be the trend around the country.

Landonhog

Quote from: Eric Cartman on July 31, 2007, 10:34:28 pm
Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 31, 2007, 09:53:57 pm
I understand some of you hate coach Nutt, but why hate the recruits. You know many if not all of these players star ratings will go up during the season. You also know Shuler & Eoff are not 2 star players.  

exactly. Shuler squats almost 700 pounds and runs a 4.6, thats insane. he will be a dominate full-back, thats why Ohio State offered him.

Eoff was rated one of the top sleepers in the south, and the report said because of his committment he probably wont be futher evaluated.

Read it again... 
They said his rating will probably go up, despite not being further pursued by other schools... 

Shizzle

I didn't know Felix Jones was a top 10 running back in the nation when he was recruited out of highschool. Thanks for sharing that with me. OH you are talking about now we have 2 of the top 10 backs in the country. I think this guy has everything it takes to be great only time will tell just like it did with DMac and Felix Jones.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

Pigmund Freud

Actin' like  three - stars   is five -stars doesn't make it so...except here in A-R-K-I-N-S-A-S...brutha...
and
oh yeah,

This is my loser's ring, even if it was my idea... and you'll like it...brutha.

Mr. Perfect

Freud, Which of these players is not worth offering in your opinion?

demonHOG1013

No one has signed yet, signing day is in February. If the Hogs dont win 8 games with the schedule we have, I wouldnt be surprised to see alot of those kids change their minds and go somewhere else.

Boar in the USA

OK guys, Devin Thomas is the 50th best runningback in the country according to Dudley. He is HDN's 19th to sign. I have had several people come up to me today just beaming that we have 18 or 19 recruits signed and what a wonderful job HDN is doing! I don't follow recruiting much but signing the 50th best RB to fill the spots to be vacated by two top 10 backs doesn't make me giddy. I appreciate Thomas' coming to Arkansas and I am sure he will be a great back here but is he the guy to sustain a dominant presence with?

Also, aren't a large number of the recruits receivers? We've seen this before in the past with Snowden, Smith and those guys. Nutt recruited a bunch of great receivers that looked really spiffy running warm up drills before the game.

Please fill me in on why I should be ecstatic because of the recent recruiting "success."

He's in the upper eschelon of high school RBs. To say that he's not as good as, say, the 10th ranked RB is ridiculous. Those rankings cannot be used to make distinctions like that; they are too subjective. For example, Cobbs was certainly one of the highest rated RBs coming out of high school, but many RBs ranked below him had better college and pro careers. On the flip side, D-Mac was ranked very high and has lived up to that ranking. Quit looking for reasons to deride our program.

Hogchick

I guess it is better to be miserable than giddy?  I will take the latter.

Boner

I remember when we got DMac and Felix.  DMac was the #2 athlete and Felix was the #19 athlete.

First of all, WTH?  Athletes?  You'd think since we like to run the ball so much, we could at least recruit REAL running backs, not some guys that aren't even listed as running backs.  Much like being listed as a "dual threat QB", being listed as an "athlete" must mean that you can do a bunch of things poorly, instead of one thing well.

Second of all, this McFadden guy may turn out to be a decent player if he ever finds a position.  But don't expect too much.  I know that Odis and Trey really beefed up his rankings, but did you know he isn't even invited to the Army All-American game?  And really only had like 4 other offers.  I think Tennessee was the only decent school on there.  Odis claims he could've had a Bama offer if he visited, but instead he committed to Arkansas.  Top prospect my ass.

Third, so this Jones guy (who OU didn't even want, BTW) is the 19th rated guy who can't find a position.  There are 18 other clueless players out there in front of him looking for a position as well.  Also, this guy was like our 5th choice to fill this spot.  And other schools want him to play DB.  So we promise that he can play RB?  Sounds like everyone knows something we don't.  Nothing new.

What a joke.  Typical Nutt. 

Razor-back

We recruited a bunch of receivers so Herring can use them on defense.  :)

Pigmund Freud

Quote from: Mr. Perfect on August 01, 2007, 09:46:26 am

I speak in general terms based on reviews by non -biased posters and articles, and 9 years of watching the second -rater recruit , always taking the path of least resistance(e.g.avoiding Texas altogether). Citing Dmac in every post to demonstrate how good  HDN is at developing talent is a little intellectually dishonest. Finally, I refuse to criticize any specific recruit. It would be rude and non productive.  In general, some of them seem rather short, and recruited by mediocre midwestern colleges without top rate programs. If the shoe fits, wear it , but I think it could be different. Frank was a better recruiter in hostile territory. He didn't just give up.

And please, call me Pigmund.

hogsanity

When you consider how many HS running backs there are around the country, and when you see he is somewhere around the 30th best, and that he is a TX back, yea it is a pretty good pickup. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Razor-back on August 01, 2007, 10:14:39 am

We recruited a bunch of receivers so Herring can use them on defense.  :)

It's a well established fact that wide receivers always make the best defensive ends,  ALWAYS............at least once, anyway.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Newhopehog

If we don't throw the football this year watch those warren players disappear faster than and ice cube in aug...

SoTexHog

August 01, 2007, 10:53:40 am #71 Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:57:18 am by SoTexHog
Forget about Nutt and let's just try to be a little objective concerning Devin Thomas, who by the way has no control over who coaches the Hogs.
Rankings from Scout.com.  I tried rivals but they break down positions differently, that is RB and ATH so a comparison wouldn't work as well.  But, feel free to go take a look there.
Rank                                                                                              Measurables
  61    Felix Jones           (Washington HS)   Tulsa, OK                      5-10/195/4.55       Verbal 
  45    Devin Thomas      (Madison HS)        San Antonio, TX            5-11/180/4.40       Verbal 

It would appear any current concerns about the potential lack of a contribution by Mr. Thomas would be a bit premature.

GO     :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GO

Boner

Quote from: Newhopehog on August 01, 2007, 10:36:32 am
If we don't throw the football this year watch those warren players disappear faster than and ice cube in aug...

And at that exact moment, they'll become good recruits in everyone's mind.  Until then, they're just a 4-star, a 3-star, and two 2-stars that really aren't that great.

razorhog52

Quote from: Pigmund Freud on August 01, 2007, 10:16:25 am
Quote from: Mr. Perfect on August 01, 2007, 09:46:26 am

I speak in general terms based on reviews by non -biased posters and articles, and 9 years of watching the second -rater recruit , always taking the path of least resistance(e.g.avoiding Texas altogether). Citing Dmac in every post to demonstrate how good  HDN is at developing talent is a little intellectually dishonest. Finally, I refuse to criticize any specific recruit. It would be rude and non productive.  In general, some of them seem rather short, and recruited by mediocre midwestern colleges without top rate programs. If the shoe fits, wear it , but I think it could be different. Frank was a better recruiter in hostile territory. He didn't just give up.

And please, call me Pigmund.

How have we avoided Texas? We had 8 guys from Texas last year, 8 the year before. We have two so far this year, with many more on the radar. People get pissed if offer a player who doesn't have offers from big name schools. They also get pissed if we aren't the first to offer. Do I think HDN helped develop DMAC? No, he would have been good everywhere he went. What about Jamaal Anderson, Jonathan Luigs, Marcus Monk, and Freddie Fairchild? They might of been good whereever they went as well. The problem is, they didn't get any other big offers (outside of maybe Monk). So either they were great evaluations by the staff, or great development by the staff. Either way, you have to give them some credit. Will I give the coaches credit for an overall job well done? Not yet, because I want to see an SEC title. However, they are doing a good job recruiting so far this year and I enjoyed watching our team last year. I hope this year we can get over the hump.

Wolfhound05

I bet if any other coach was at Arkansas and had this recruiting class you would be singing praises from the rooftops.

Tusks

My biggest surprise is the early commitments....I don't know what someone spiked Hooten's ovalteen with but he's all of a sudden decided to recruit early....10 years into the program.

In the end when all the dust settles, if all the players sign that are committed then Hootens class will fall somewhere between 25 and 32.  It always has and always will.  It did after 98 and 99 winning seasons and after 04 and 05 losing seasons.  It did with the cloud and without the cloud.  Heck I believe Hooten had one of his top 3 classes while under the cloud.

25 to 32....wait and see.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

abraHAM_lincoln

Where's the Cornerbacks????  Are a couple of the Warren Receivers going to be COrnerbacks??  With what we have on campus and the two "project" Div-II offered Corners coming in.. Herring might want to read a book or two on Zone Defenses. 

The rest of the conference must be drooling with anticipation of one on one coverage...

pfrg999

Quote from: PorkOpine on July 31, 2007, 08:42:32 pm
Quote from: Duke of Buckingham on July 31, 2007, 08:27:49 pm
It seems to me that of all the coaching staffs in the country, this is one that should be able to evaluate running backs. So if these coaches are getting running backs they want (which they are) that should be a good sign. IThis extends to other positions besides runningback -- if we are getting the players the coaches want (and it seems to a certain extent we are), then we can't reaonably hope for better.

Personally, I think we are getting too many receivers, but some of them will probably play defensive back.

I would like some more linemen, too.

Of course they can evaluate RB's.  That's the only thing they know and are comfortable with. 

QB's, TE's and Receivers are another matter.  They should be called DECOYS in Nutt's offense.

lmao
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Brand X Hog Fan

August 01, 2007, 01:01:09 pm #78 Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:03:55 pm by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: maximus on August 01, 2007, 08:40:25 am
you said "beaming" and "giddy" in your posts, thats not great.  are you an interior decorator?

LOL, sthay . . .

Sarcasm. What can I say? We need a friggin' game!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

claytongray

Quote from: abraHAM_lincoln on August 01, 2007, 12:37:38 pm
Where's the Cornerbacks????  Are a couple of the Warren Receivers going to be COrnerbacks??  With what we have on campus and the two "project" Div-II offered Corners coming in.. Herring might want to read a book or two on Zone Defenses. 

The rest of the conference must be drooling with anticipation of one on one coverage...

Is this shtick? Ugo Okpara and Marcal Robinson are each nice CB prospects.

HoggieStyle

Have any of these guys actually signed letters of intent?

Didn't thinks so....verbal commits aren't worth the paper they're written on. ;)

abraHAM_lincoln

Quote from: claytongray on August 01, 2007, 01:28:38 pm

yea, but they won't be on campus this year...  and cornerbacks as Freshmen against the Likes of Florida, Tenn, LSU...hell even Troy is going to have our Corners stretched to the limits...  we dont' have the numbers and definately a serious lack of experience in what we will have this season.

Boner

Quote from: abraHAM_lincoln on August 01, 2007, 03:40:09 pm
Quote from: claytongray on August 01, 2007, 01:28:38 pm

yea, but they won't be on campus this year...  and cornerbacks as Freshmen against the Likes of Florida, Tenn, LSU...hell even Troy is going to have our Corners stretched to the limits...  we dont' have the numbers and definately a serious lack of experience in what we will have this season.

This thread is about the 2008 recruiting class.

OklaU

Quote from: claytongray on August 01, 2007, 08:24:51 am
Quote from: OklaU on July 31, 2007, 09:56:28 pm
For all you fraternity brothers out there...doesn't this kind of remind you of the "rush-week", especially those poor frats (I won't say who) that got 25 pledges in one day...only it was 25 that no one else wanted?

Someone needs to tell Nutt not to rush.

Wow, great analogy, except that January is when teams get the recruits that no one else wanted. Nice try though.

But...the season hasn't even started yet...still a wee bit early.  Aside the ones who sign in January are also those who hold out because everybody wants their services.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

RazorBloggin30