Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Everyone is Just Giddy!

Started by Brand X Hog Fan, July 31, 2007, 07:59:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand X Hog Fan

OK guys, Devin Thomas is the 50th best runningback in the country according to Dudley. He is HDN's 19th to sign. I have had several people come up to me today just beaming that we have 18 or 19 recruits signed and what a wonderful job HDN is doing! I don't follow recruiting much but signing the 50th best RB to fill the spots to be vacated by two top 10 backs doesn't make me giddy. I appreciate Thomas' coming to Arkansas and I am sure he will be a great back here but is he the guy to sustain a dominant presence with?

Also, aren't a large number of the recruits receivers? We've seen this before in the past with Snowden, Smith and those guys. Nutt recruited a bunch of great receivers that looked really spiffy running warm up drills before the game.

Please fill me in on why I should be ecstatic because of the recent recruiting "success."
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

LAHOGG

He's the 29th best running back.

moley_russells_wart_hog

im not beaming but he looks pretty good to me

wacohogbill

Lanny

Verbals are not binding.  The real test will be in Feb
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Seebs

Why are people compelled to come up to a guy that doesn't follow recruiting much - to talk recruiting?

While I do not like HDN in the least - many of you are just Sad Sacks
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

GiantFoamFingerMak

Quote from: Seebs on July 31, 2007, 08:21:42 pm
Why are people compelled to come up to a guy that doesn't follow recruiting much - to talk recruiting?

While I do not like HDN in the least - many of you are just Sad Sacks

you are a bag-o-d's
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

Duke of Buckingham

It seems to me that of all the coaching staffs in the country, this is one that should be able to evaluate running backs. So if these coaches are getting running backs they want (which they are) that should be a good sign. IThis extends to other positions besides runningback -- if we are getting the players the coaches want (and it seems to a certain extent we are), then we can't reaonably hope for better.

Personally, I think we are getting too many receivers, but some of them will probably play defensive back.

I would like some more linemen, too.

PigWig

July 31, 2007, 08:34:53 pm #8 Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:37:10 pm by PigWig
Why don't you look at the other offers a player has received, watch his highlight film, research his high school stats, consider what state he is playing in, and weigh opponents' talent before you come on here posting about the quality of a recruit. 

He is a 5.7 rivals rating (5.8= 4*), ranked 26th in the country, plays Texas high school football and has posted great rushing numbers (Game high of 487 yards).  Not to mention he was a "Plan A" player at one of the top rushing schools in the country.  He will compliment D'Anthony nicely and both will post great numbers at Arkansas.

JoeHog27

the fact is they see something great in all these recruits beyond just a position on the field we forget that not all projected great players turn out great you have to be about to scout that greatest and develop it.

Mr. Perfect

You're right you don't follow recruiting or understand it. 

GiantFoamFingerMak

Quote from: JoeHog27 on July 31, 2007, 08:35:25 pm
the fact is they see something great in all these recruits beyond just a position on the field we forget that not all projected great players turn out great you have to be about to scout that greatest and develop it.

excellent first post...for fun, you could try to mix up some simple sentences with your compound-complex-compound-no sense first sentence.
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

COCHISE

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on July 31, 2007, 07:59:16 pm
OK guys, Devin Thomas is the 50th best runningback in the country according to Dudley. He is HDN's 19th to sign. I have had several people come up to me today just beaming that we have 18 or 19 recruits signed and what a wonderful job HDN is doing! I don't follow recruiting much but signing the 50th best RB to fill the spots to be vacated by two top 10 backs doesn't make me giddy. I appreciate Thomas' coming to Arkansas and I am sure he will be a great back here but is he the guy to sustain a dominant presence with?

Also, aren't a large number of the recruits receivers? We've seen this before in the past with Snowden, Smith and those guys. Nutt recruited a bunch of great receivers that looked really spiffy running warm up drills before the game.

Please fill me in on why I should be ecstatic because of the recent recruiting "success."
If Thomas had been our #1 RB target, I wouldn't be all that excited about his commitment, but we already have DeAnthony Curtis, #2 APB in the country and Thomas Shuler, one of the top fullbacks so Devin Thomas is an excellent addition to an already strong backfield class.

hirebutchdavis

Lanny is right.  Don't count your chickens till they have signed on the dotted line.  What I can't figure out are the Warren kids.  HDN must have offered Hembree a job!  That's the only thing I can figure.  Of course, it will help with BD standing in the front office come Febuary 1st

Brand X Hog Fan

Information is the key to learning. I asked a question, that is all. You superior recruiting authorities have two choices. You can educate or you can harangue.

Thanks to whomever for agreeing that I don't know about recruiting.

I am not slamming the recruit. I am excited for anyone that gets to play for the Hogs. It is a game to me, and a tradition. 26th or 50th, seems like we could do better. I was impressed with Devin's interview and am more impressed with his GPA and the fact that he turned down some brain farms to come here. He wants to play and he will. My first impression from listening to his opinion of himself is "Fred Talley." Bust it up the middle then make you miss in the open field. I like that.

My question remains . . . why should I be swinging from the rafters because of this recruiting class? From my perspective, it looks vaguely familiar and good enough to get us an 8-4 record and New Year's Eve Bowl.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: 870 RZR on July 31, 2007, 08:41:28 pm
If Thomas had been our #1 RB target, I wouldn't be all that excited about his commitment, but we already have DeAnthony Curtis, #2 APB in the country and Thomas Shuler, one of the top fullbacks so Devin Thomas is an excellent addition to an already strong backfield class.

Good point. It is always good to have several quality backs. I remember several years we went 3 and 4 deep to start because of injuries.

sooieet

One time a program signed the top QB prospect in the country, but it turned out not to be a good fit, and they soon parted ways. 

PigWig

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on July 31, 2007, 08:47:33 pm
Information is the key to learning. I asked a question, that is all. You superior recruiting authorities have two choices. You can educate or you can harangue.

Thanks to whomever for agreeing that I don't know about recruiting.

I am not slamming the recruit. I am excited for anyone that gets to play for the Hogs. It is a game to me, and a tradition. 26th or 50th, seems like we could do better. I was impressed with Devin's interview and am more impressed with his GPA and the fact that he turned down some brain farms to come here. He wants to play and he will. My first impression from listening to his opinion of himself is "Fred Talley." Bust it up the middle then make you miss in the open field. I like that.

My question remains . . . why should I be swinging from the rafters because of this recruiting class? From my perspective, it looks vaguely familiar and good enough to get us an 8-4 record and New Year's Eve Bowl.
Let me first apologize if my original post came off as rude or offensive.  That being said, the reason I am excited about this recruiting class is that we are landing our top targets.

Many states such as Kentucky (Winston Guy), Arkansas (various commits), and others that do not have a long history of quality high school pipelines are not as highly monitored or scouted by sites like Rivals and Scout.

I am excited because we are landing quality prospects.  Two commits already that have sub 4.4 speed (Guy and Wright), as well as other speedy defenders (Robinson and possibly Jones) and huge lineman (Hall) will take shape and build a quality base for the future.

SteelShot

You shouldn't.  Wait till signing day and then compare this class to the past classes and decide if you wanna be giddy or not.  Alot of people are excited how well we are doing in state this year since we tanked last year losing so many good in state recruits. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

rdizzle

Were DMAC and Felix the best 2 running backs out of HS, or did they become that after being on campus for a little while?

Fort Swine

HDN doesn't win, those "verbals" will change real quick.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Fort Swine on July 31, 2007, 09:04:16 pm

This is a good point.  It's a LOOOOOOONG way before they actually sign.  a lot can happen before then.  At 17, kids can be swayed by many things.   Be happy... but be patient. 

Ouachihog

We have verbals from 7 of the top 10 players in Arkansas.  The other 3 are uncommitted, but we have at least a decent shot at the other two, Dennis Johnson and Joe Adams.  We could very easily sign 9 of the top 10 players in Arkansas. 

The thing that is impressive about today's commitment from Devin Thomas is that he wasn't our #1 RB target.  The fact that we already have a 4 star top rated RB committed, and we can still add the 26th best RB in the country as a bonus speaks well of this recruiting class.  Also, keep in mind all of this has happened before the calendar even makes it to August. 

According to rivals, we currently have the 14th rated class in the nation.  This can, and probably will, change before signing day, but it is impressive at this stage.  I gave HDN some criticism for losing several key instate players last year, but it is only fair to point out that the trend has been completely reversed so far this year. 

If all of the verbals end up signing, and if we can finish strong by getting Joe Adams and our other final targets, then this could go down as one of the better recruiting classes in Ark history.  That is why I am excited. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

swinemaster

It is unusual for us to have this many commitments this early in the year.  We have landed most of the top recruits from in state.  We have swept a talent rich town that has been a Tennessee pipeline.  We have gotten verbals from Tx, Ky, Louisiana, AL, GA and FL.  Most of these guys have multiple SEC offers and will be rated higher in the next evaluation.  We are getting good numbers at positions of need.  Look at the size of these receivers.  Didn't we just have a WR recruit get drafted #8 overall as a DE.  We have some momentum that is clear to see. 

Should we be doing backflips?  I don't think so until Feb. 1

Is there reason for excitement and optimism?  Hell yes. 

sihog

FYI..they have a commitment they have not signed yet.
GO HOGS GO

Mr. Perfect

You guys realize it was the end of January last year before we had 19 verbals.

Eric Cartman

Quote from: Fort Swine on July 31, 2007, 09:04:16 pm

really, we will see about that.

"You're breaking my balls."   "Wuteva, I do what I want!"   "Sweeeeeet!"   "Lame"   "Weak"
"You guys, You guys!" (Excited by something he has found) "I will kick you squah in the nuts!"

Fort Swine

A verbal is non-binding.  Recruiting will still take place on all of these kids.  The Hawgs don't win, other coaches will come into the home and tell the kid that they are making a mistake.  I hope all of them come to the Hill.  However, it is a long way until signing day.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 31, 2007, 09:14:50 pm

The critical thing is this season.  Off two down years, a monster resurrection last season, so now what?  Do you ride McFadden to a BCS game?  Or do you drop back to mediocrity (8-4)?  If you keep it rolling the recruits will keep rolling in, and then you can start reloading, and quit replacing. And that's why LSU and Florida and Georgia and Auburn are always better consistently. Sure they have a good recruiting area geographically, but they are proven winners (and proven at putting guys in the NFL).

The recruits are watching. Arkansas is a curiosity to the national experts and a lot of young talent across the nation.  It's a premier conference and a platform to the NFL.  If Arkansas appears to be catching steam, they'll find Fayetteville.   

slopinhogs

now you should altready know when you can't get the best of something you try for second best and if you can't get that ,then it 3rd best. and when you can't get that and look up all that is left is 26th best and you are in no position to say no. now do you understand? :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

silvertip

Quote from: Ouachihog on July 31, 2007, 09:11:38 pm

According to rivals, we currently have the 14th rated class in the nation.  This can, and probably will, change before signing day, but it is impressive at this stage.

Man, talking about this "14th ranked class" just destroys your credibility.

I'm sure you don't realize how meaningless that "14th" is, so I'll fill you in.

I don't know the details, but that ranking is based on the "total points" in the far right column. Those points are basically "Quality X Quantity."

The reason the Hogs are ranked high NOW is because they have 18 commits---compared to say "19th" Penn State who has 5. Compare Hogs' 2.89 star average to PSU's 3.6---the "quality numbers"---and you should realize that PSU will wind up ranked way higher than Hogs, once they report their full class.

FOR ALL FANS FOOLED BY THIS "14TH RANKED" BS---look at this link, think about it, compare Arkansas's rank to Penn State's (you have to scroll down, find it on the left.) PSU is "ranked" 19th.

Now, you will be FREE to quit falling for this nonsense, until close to the final rankings next January. UNTIL THEN, the way to compare classes is the "Quality" component---which is the "average star rating."

http://www.rivals.com/

By the way, everybody, this much and more on the rivals.com site is FREE. Play with it, and hopefully the general level of recruiting debate on this board will improve.  WPS!!

Ouachihog

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 09:44:56 pm

According to rivals, we currently have the 14th rated class in the nation.  This can, and probably will, change before signing day, but it is impressive at this stage.

I don't know the details, but that ranking is based on the "total points" in the far right column. Those points are basically "Quality X Quantity."

The reason the Hogs are ranked high NOW is because they have 18 commits---compared to say "19th" Penn State who has 5. Compare Hogs' 2.89 star average to PSU's 3.6---the "quality numbers"---and you should realize that PSU will wind up ranked way higher than Hogs, once they report their full class.

FOR ALL FANS FOOLED BY THIS "14TH RANKED" BS---look at this link, think about it, compare Arkansas's rank to Penn State's (you have to scroll down, find it on the left.) PSU is "ranked" 19th.

Now, you will be FREE to quit falling for this nonsense, until close to the final rankings next January. UNTIL THEN, the way to compare classes is the "Quality" component---which is the "average star rating."

By the way, everybody, this much and more on the rivals.com site is FREE. Play with it, and hopefully the general level of recruiting debate on this board will improve.  WPS!!

That is why I said it probably will change.  I thoroughly understand it, thanks. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

GiantFoamFingerMak

that is crazy talk...we should celebrate the 14 rank NOW...i know i sure do regret not celebrating our national championship while i could before we lost to lsu, fla, and wisc...i will not let that happen again.

DeltaBoy

It is past time to fire the NUTT!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mr. Perfect

I understand some of you hate coach Nutt, but why hate the recruits. You know many if not all of these players star ratings will go up during the season. You also know Shuler & Eoff are not 2 star players.  

OklaU

For all you fraternity brothers out there...doesn't this kind of remind you of the "rush-week", especially those poor frats (I won't say who) that got 25 pledges in one day...only it was 25 that no one else wanted?

Someone needs to tell Nutt not to rush.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

lovethosehogs

last year at this time we had 8 recuits.  I think we are doing good.  rivals ranking we ar 14th. only two sec schools ahead of us! Georgia and Alabama.   

OklaU

In lieu of the BAND PREGAME THREAD...

The William Tell Overture sounds like it would be a soundtrack to Nutt's recruiting practices.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

razorhog52

First of all, signing day is in February, not January. The rankings are fun to watch and we are not fools for following them. How do you know Penn St. will not fill up their class with 2 and 3 stars? I am happy with the players we have. Also, several of our players have not been evaluated by Rivals. Before you show me that all of our players haves at least two star, this is because Rivals rates any player committed to a D1 program at least a 2 star. It's not your fault not knowing this, because like you said, you don't know the details. Austin Eoff and Thomas Schuler are almost certainly going to move up.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PorkOpine on July 31, 2007, 08:42:32 pm
Quote from: Duke of Buckingham on July 31, 2007, 08:27:49 pm
It seems to me that of all the coaching staffs in the country, this is one that should be able to evaluate running backs. So if these coaches are getting running backs they want (which they are) that should be a good sign. IThis extends to other positions besides runningback -- if we are getting the players the coaches want (and it seems to a certain extent we are), then we can't reaonably hope for better.

Personally, I think we are getting too many receivers, but some of them will probably play defensive back.

I would like some more linemen, too.

Of course they can evaluate RB's.  That's the only thing they know and are comfortable with. 

QB's, TE's and Receivers are another matter.  They should be called DECOYS in Nutt's offense.

Too late, Nutt already has a name for them.  They're called "Additional Downfield Blocking Specialists".
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Cartoon Man

Hey Pig Wig, I like your photo.  The crane reminds me to ask if they have ever started on the new Hotel? When will it be completed?

silvertip

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 31, 2007, 09:20:36 pm
Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 31, 2007, 09:14:50 pm

The critical thing is this season.  Off two down years, a monster resurrection last season, so now what?  Do you ride McFadden to a BCS game?  Or do you drop back to mediocrity (8-4)?  If you keep it rolling the recruits will keep rolling in, and then you can start reloading, and quit replacing. And that's why LSU and Florida and Georgia and Auburn are always better consistently. Sure they have a good recruiting area geographically, but they are proven winners (and proven at putting guys in the NFL).

The recruits are watching. Arkansas is a curiosity to the national experts and a lot of young talent across the nation.  It's a premier conference and a platform to the NFL.  If Arkansas appears to be catching steam, they'll find Fayetteville.  

Exactly, Mark.  Nutt was not going to get the Springdale kids because they saw what he did in '05---when he no longer had Matt Jones to blame for his "passing attack."

Recruits and commits will watch this season, to see if Lee can fix the problem---now that Nutt no longer has Gus & MM to blame for his unbalanced offense.

I hope we see no more commits except 4 or 5 star Big-Uglies to this class, until November or so.

silvertip

Quote from: GiantFoamFingerMak on July 31, 2007, 09:49:08 pm

that is crazy talk...we should celebrate the 14 rank NOW...i know i sure do regret not celebrating our national championship while i could before we lost to lsu, fla, and wisc...i will not let that happen again.

I see your point...I wish I'd thought of that last Friday night...WPS!!  WE'RE #14!  WE'RE #14!!

silvertip

Quote from: Ouachihog on July 31, 2007, 09:46:33 pm

That is why I said it probably will change.  I thoroughly understand it, thanks. 

You also said you thought it was "impressive."  It simply did not occur to me that anyone could "thoroughly understand" that "14th" and still find it "impressive."

Sorry, but I know there are others out there that benefitted from my effort.  WPS!!

Eric Cartman

Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 31, 2007, 09:53:57 pm
I understand some of you hate coach Nutt, but why hate the recruits. You know many if not all of these players star ratings will go up during the season. You also know Shuler & Eoff are not 2 star players.  

exactly. Shuler squats almost 700 pounds and runs a 4.6, thats insane. he will be a dominate full-back, thats why Ohio State offered him.

Eoff was rated one of the top sleepers in the south, and the report said because of his committment he probably wont be futher evaluated.

"You're breaking my balls."   "Wuteva, I do what I want!"   "Sweeeeeet!"   "Lame"   "Weak"
"You guys, You guys!" (Excited by something he has found) "I will kick you squah in the nuts!"

Mr. Perfect

Is that through today? Does that take in to account that 2 players haven't been evaluated yet? I don't think there's any info on Gragg yet.

BustinANutt

Quote from: rdizzle on July 31, 2007, 09:03:11 pm
Were DMAC and Felix the best 2 running backs out of HS, or did they become that after being on campus for a little while?

Many times the Rivals evaluation of a player does not determine that player's college and pro success. I think felix jones and DMAC's Rivals evaluations were rare cases when they were exactly right. DMAC was rated a 5 star athlete, which is exactly what he has become. Felix Jones was rated a 4 star running back and that is exactly what he has become. A 5 star player should be a first round draft pick and a 4 star player should be one of the better players at their position in their conference and should go pro.

Ouachihog

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 10:30:51 pm
Quote from: Ouachihog on July 31, 2007, 09:46:33 pm

You also said you thought it was "impressive."  It simply did not occur to me that anyone could "thoroughly understand" that "14th" and still find it "impressive."

Sorry, but I know there are others out there that benefitted from my effort.  WPS!!

B/c 19 commitments at this stage is impressive....to some.  As for quality, we have some idea, but we will not know for certain until they actually step on the field. 

claytongray

On the subject of credibility, pot meet kettle.

claytongray

Quote from: OklaU on July 31, 2007, 09:56:28 pm
For all you fraternity brothers out there...doesn't this kind of remind you of the "rush-week", especially those poor frats (I won't say who) that got 25 pledges in one day...only it was 25 that no one else wanted?

Someone needs to tell Nutt not to rush.

Wow, great analogy, except that January is when teams get the recruits that no one else wanted. Nice try though.