Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tim Horton's job at Air Force makes him a perfect fit for the Hog program

Started by silvertip, July 19, 2007, 11:35:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Happy Hogger on July 20, 2007, 11:47:08 am
Choctaw, to help me understand, what constitutes a "good ole boy" as you put it?  What prior connection to Nutt does he have?  It appears his stronger connection is to Hatfield who appeared to help open doors for him.  Yes he has a strong Arkansas connection and through his family even a possible connection to Frank.  I don't know if he will be a great addition or not, but it seems there is a lot of rushing to judgement on what his contribution or value to the staff will be. 

LOL. I really hope you ask this question in jest but just in case you didn't here is the "good ole boy" connection. 

1. Harold Horton, Vice President of the Razorback Foundation, is the father of Tim. 
2. Harold has been involved in Razorback Football for decades and is a close friend of Frank, Nutt, and other "movers and shakers" within the Razorback program.
3. The Razorback Foundation significantly supplements Houston's salary.

See the dots starting to connect?  If that doesn't qualify him as one of the "good ole boys" then I stand corrected.  Tell me why you think he isn't part of "good ole boy network". 

311Hog

We are collecting a "who's who" of option dinosaurs in college football on the Hill. I for one couldnt be more excited ........ /sarcasm.

I dont doubt Horton is a good guy, was a great Hog i remember watching him play when i was really young. But the guy is ANOTHER FREAKING COACH WITH ONLY A BACKGROUND IN OPTION FOOTBALL.

Are we ever planning on joining the "modern age" ? Do we ever hope to be better then "pretty good" every 3 years?

Will it ever mean more then "wow a good fight but they couldnt over come their own backwards stupidity", when talking about the Razorbacks and Arkansas in general?

/sigh

WilsonHog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 20, 2007, 12:06:13 pm
Choctaw, to help me understand, what constitutes a "good ole boy" as you put it?  What prior connection to Nutt does he have?  It appears his stronger connection is to Hatfield who appeared to help open doors for him.  Yes he has a strong Arkansas connection and through his family even a possible connection to Frank.  I don't know if he will be a great addition or not, but it seems there is a lot of rushing to judgement on what his contribution or value to the staff will be. 

LOL. I really hope you ask this question in jest but just in case you didn't here is the "good ole boy" connection. 

1. Harold Horton, Vice President of the Razorback Foundation, is the father of Tim. 
2. Harold has been involved in Razorback Football for decades and is a close friend of Frank, Nutt, and other "movers and shakers" within the Razorback program.

See the dots starting to connect?  If that doesn't qualify him as one of the "good ole boys" then I stand corrected.  Tell me why you think he isn't part of "good ole boy network". 

Does it automatically follow that being part of the "good ol' boy network" is a bad thing? 

311Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 12:31:05 pm

Does it automatically follow that being part of the "good ol' boy network" is a bad thing? 

If you are in the "good ole boy network" is isnt a bad thing, but is if you arent.

sage_dragoon

Quote from: Landonhog on July 20, 2007, 08:16:06 am
Quote from: silvertip on July 19, 2007, 11:35:55 pm
Horton's stats over 7 years at Air Force indicate that not only is he a perfect fit for HDN's staff, but he is just the kind of coach that Frank Broyles would love to make the next Hog's Head Coach, if HDN decides to leave.

Here's the stats for the offenses at Air Force, while Horton coached there:

Year.....Run Rank....Pass Rank
1999.......2nd...........109th...... Horton coaching WRs
2000.......3rd.............98th......   "         "          "
2001.......3rd............113th......   "         "          "
2002.......1st............116th......   "         "          "
2003.......4th............115th......   "         "          "
2004.......4th............108th......   "         "          "
2005.......8th............. 99th...... Horton coaching RBs

From his tenure at Air Force as WR coach, it is obvious that coach Horton is content in a program where the passing game is irrelevant. No doubt he can assist coach Shibest in turning Hog WRs into tools of the running game.

Add to that his sterling record with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and his history as an ex-Hog player, and what we have here is another sterling
example of the young up-and-comer that Frank Broyles loves to hire to be the next Hog Head Coach.  WPS!! 

Does the avid or casual fan agree with your opinion?  Only one way to find out! 

I'll be happy to chip in.......   ;)

OMG I LOL
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

WilsonHog

Quote from: 311Hog on July 20, 2007, 12:33:16 pm

If you are in the "good ole boy network" is isnt a bad thing, but is if you arent.

My point is that life is all about the "good ol boy network." Life is about developing relationships, networking, getting your name out there so that when a position comes open someone can say, "Hey, wait a minute, I know this guy..." Sports, education, business, makes no difference.

If that ain't part of Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest, it ought to be. I don't care how good a guy is at what he does; you show me a man or woman who doesn't pay attention to that reality of life and I will show you a fool.   

pigs rule

Quote from: silvertip on July 20, 2007, 08:59:59 am
Quote from: Oklahawg on July 19, 2007, 11:47:27 pm
Care to discuss the difference in Air Force and a public school in the SEC?

While I can appreciate your angst over this I think the concerns over Horton border on conspiracy theory. Be pleased we wound up with a replacement for Danny this late in the game who (a) has quite a bit of D1 experience and (b) actually has experience coaching RBs.

We could have wound up with an NAIA OC or, gulp, Cliff Ealy. Yes, yes, maybe I'm setting the bar too low.

I caint even spell ankst. But asking me to be pleased with getting Horton is like asking me to be pleased with the offense espoused by JFB, HDN, and Hatfield.

The pattern is too clear. If JFB gets to choose the next Hog HC---look for more of the same lame offense we've suffered thru for decades. And
the split in the fanbase will continue.
He's a RUNNING BACK COACH. You want to hire a running back coach froma team that doesn't run the ball???
People from all over (Kansas and Colorado and here) are saying this was a great hire. What in the world is you problem? Nothing will satisfy you. Good grief, this is ridiculous.
Welcome home, Tim! GHG!

311Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 12:40:06 pm

My point is that life is all about the "good ol boy network." Life is about developing relationships, networking, getting your name out there so that when a position comes open someone can say, "Hey, wait a minute, I know this guy..." Sports, education, business, makes no difference.

If that ain't part of Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest, it ought to be. I don't care how good a guy is at what he does; you show me a man or woman who doesn't pay attention to that reality of life and I will show you a fool.   

Believe me i understand the concept, but does that mean i have to like it? or other people have to?

I mean i have lost jobs to people who couldnt even wipe their own a$$, but they were the son or daughter or frat buddy of the person doing the hiring. That is honestly what is wrong with our world today, to many people get TO FAR in life based solely on the "good ole boy" system, just look at our damn President.

I mean tell me this guy would have gotten the same "fair shake" at the RB coach job if his Dad wasnt basically the "god" of the money train for Razorback football?  Tim Horton could have been a junkie vacuum cleaner salesmen in his previous job, but he has the connection and is in the good ole boy system.

311Hog

Furthermore you are NOT going to be able to tell if he did a good or bad job just like you couldnt with Danny Nutt.

WilsonHog

Quote from: 311Hog on July 20, 2007, 12:50:51 pm

Believe me i understand the concept, but does that mean i have to like it? or other people have to?

I mean i have lost jobs to people who couldnt even wipe their own a$$, but they were the son or daughter or frat buddy of the person doing the hiring. That is honestly what is wrong with our world today, to many people get TO FAR in life based solely on the "good ole boy" system, just look at our damn President.

I mean tell me this guy would have gotten the same "fair shake" at the RB coach job if his Dad wasnt basically the "god" of the money train for Razorback football?  Tim Horton could have been a junkie vacuum cleaner salesmen in his previous job, but he has the connection and is in the good ole boy system.

Most Razorback fans would love to see Butch Davis become the Hogs' next head football coach. I certainly would.

But wait...it's well documented that Davis is a close friend of John Tyson, who is a member of the UA BOT.

If Butch got the job that sorta by definition would make him a member of that "good ol' boy network" that is so evil, huh?   

311Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 12:59:27 pm

Most Razorback fans would love to see Butch Davis become the Hogs' next head football coach. I certainly would.

But wait...it's well documented that Davis is a close friend of John Tyson, who is a member of the UA BOT.

If Butch got the job that sorta by definition would make him a member of that "good ol' boy network" that is so evil, huh?   

You are repeating yourself, i already answered this question. It is good if you are in, bad if you are out.

I think it is pretty obvious, which "good ole boy" network is in full control of the BAC and it isnt the one led by Mr. Tyson.

Choctaw Hog

No.  But history suggests that it is.

Choctaw Hog

I wonder how much of Vince Dooley's "good ole boy network" Mark Richt retained?  How about Nick Saban?  Bob Stoops? 

Choctaw Hog

I'm not of the opinion that Butch is the best person for the job.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Well.....yes it would.  However, I can't name five coaches that I'd rather have over Butch Davis.  Sometimes, GOBN or not, a good candidate is a good candidate regardless the connections.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

311Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 20, 2007, 02:02:48 pm
Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 20, 2007, 01:41:32 pm
Sometimes, GOBN or not, a good candidate is a good candidate regardless the connections.

Absolutely.

Not everything is black or white.

I agree with this, i said in another thread things like this "power circles" usually have life cycles that end when they need to end. I consider a large portion of our "problems" on the Hill to be from a power circle that is refusing to go "quietly into that good night" and it is forcably extending its life cycle beyond what would be termed "healthy".

ksrazorback

Tim Horton is a really good hire for Arkansas, at this time, no doubt about that. He did an excellent job at K-State his one year there as RB Coach...

Falcons posted five winning seasons and made two bowl appearances from 1999 through 2004, Horton coached the Academy's wide receivers. Prior was viewed as a liability but became one of the strengths. Horton mentored wide out Matt Farmer, who hauled in 34 catches for 484 yards.
He develop Ryan Fleming who is regarded as the best option-era receiver ever produced by the Academy, led the Mountain West Conference in receiving with 52 receptions for 930 yards, second best as AFA receiver.

So what I am saying, he did make changes for the good at AF, those figures by Silvertip, to me are misleading at the best to what Tim Horton can really do... and without the good ol'boy syndrome of by association.

Tim Horton deserves the respect until proved different, he deserves that chance!!

+1

[/quote]

:razorback:  Go Razorbacks   :razorback:   :razorback:
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

311Hog

The point people are missing is that Horton did a good job developing

<<<<<<<OPTION TEAM WIDERECIEVERS>>>>>>>>

So you ask ? "311hog what do you mean ?"

I mean i would bet money not a single WR coached by Mr. Horton is currently in the NFL. What i mean is he did a good job getting something from an "after thought" position in an option offense. All this talk about "improving the passing game" is utter horseshiet, we hire an option OC, an option WR/RB coach what exactly do you think our current WR core has to look forward to?

My guess would be alot of down field/crack back blocking with the occasional "miracle jumpball" thrown in for flavor.

silvertip

The obvious difference is that Butch Davis has a proven track record that would justify being hired as the Hog's Head Coach---while HDN did not. To find anything in Horton's resume that indicates he's a good RB coach, you'd have to check his record at D-1AA Appalachian State---which I haven't seen anyone do. His 2 years as a D-1 RB coach are not as impressive as his ties to the GOBN.

NCAA coaches are a small community and everybodt has their connections. Networking is part of it.

But that doesn't mean that some networks aren't better than others.
Coaches like Richt, Bowden, Spurrier, Saban---they manage to network with some of the best. Nutt's staff, with a few exceptions, are a collection of career mediocrities who have banded together.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on July 20, 2007, 02:30:10 pm

I mean i would bet money not a single WR coached by Mr. Horton is currently in the NFL. What i mean is he did a good job getting something from an "after thought" position in an option offense. All this talk about "improving the passing game" is utter horseshiet, we hire an option OC, an option WR/RB coach what exactly do you think our current WR core has to look forward to?

My guess would be alot of down field/crack back blocking with the occasional "miracle jumpball" thrown in for flavor.

Well, since AF players owe the govt 5 years, no, none that he coached are in the NFL. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2007, 04:35:01 pm

Well, since AF players owe the govt 5 years, no, none that he coached are in the NFL. 

oh yeah like they would be there if they didnt right?

songofthesword

my only gripe is shouldn't a running back coach acutally have played running back at some point in time? YOu wouldn't hire Reggie Bush to be a quarterback coach

Hogchick

Is there a good 'ol gal network because I would like to join.

Boner

Quote from: 311Hog on July 20, 2007, 04:39:14 pm

Ya think, maybe, just maybe, the fact that they give 5 years of service could cause most with NFL talent to not attend Air Force in the first place.

The service academies are a totally different ballgame when it comes to recruiting, and sending talent to the NFL.  1st, if you're NFL caliber talent and want to get to the NFL you just don't go to Air Force.  2nd, those guys truly are soldiers and students first, and athletes second.

I'm amazed that Army, Navy, or Air force is even able to compete at the D-1 level.  takes a special kind of student athlete, and a special kind of coach.

Boner

Quote from: songofthesword on July 20, 2007, 04:43:44 pm
my only gripe is shouldn't a running back coach acutally have played running back at some point in time? YOu wouldn't hire Reggie Bush to be a quarterback coach

Why?  You know how many coaches there are that never even played football period?

pigs rule

Uh, last time I checked we were not in the NFL.
He developed good COLLEGE WR's. Isn't that the point for a college coach???

And I guess you didn't notice, but ...he's the running backs coach, not WR's.

jtgreer

Am I missing something?  We hired the OC from Air Force (to coach our running backs), and Air Force is one of the top rushing teams year in and year out and people are upset about the hire?  I would understand the frustration if he was going to be the OC, but he is going to be the running backs coach.  Why dont we want the OC from one of the top rushing schools in the country to coach our running backs?  I think this is a great hire for RUNNING BACKS COACH.

claytongray

Horton's stats over 7 years at Air Force indicate that not only is he a perfect fit for HDN's staff, but he is just the kind of coach that Frank Broyles would love to make the next Hog's Head Coach, if HDN decides to leave.

2000.......3rd.............98th......   "         "          "
2001.......3rd............113th......   "         "          "
2002.......1st............116th......   "         "          "
2003.......4th............115th......   "         "          "
2004.......4th............108th......   "         "          "

From his tenure at Air Force as WR coach, it is obvious that coach Horton is content in a program where the passing game is irrelevant. No doubt he can assist coach Shibest in turning Hog WRs into tools of the running game.

Add to that his sterling record with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and his history as an ex-Hog player, and what we have here is another sterling
example of the young up-and-comer that Frank Broyles loves to hire to be the next Hog Head Coach.  WPS!! 

What a pathetic post. I don't think you'd be happy with anyone that got the job.

DaniHog

So many on this board find the negative in anything the program does.  I am not surprised to see a class act such at Tim Horton get such negative feed back from several on this board.  This site has degrated the cheerleaders, the band, the Sports Information Department, the hiring of the radio play by play, and I bet after the first home game someone here will complain about too much butter being on the popcorn and will say the "head of vending" needs to resign. 

DaniHog

Tim Horton played running back in Jr. High School and High School.  He played WR to get more playing time at UA.  The likes of Barry Foster and James Rouse were getting a majority of the carries when TH played at the U of A.   

oldtimerhog

Quote from: UAfan on July 20, 2007, 06:55:15 am

2000.......3rd.............98th......   "         "          "
2001.......3rd............113th......   "         "          "
2002.......1st............116th......   "         "          "
2003.......4th............115th......   "         "          "
2004.......4th............108th......   "         "          "

Its amazing that you can completely turn this around into a negative subject.  We are talking about the AFA tell me the last time they were ranked in the top 50 in passing.  I'm sure its been a pretty long time if ever.  They are known for the option and I'm sure Horton used the athletes he had and made the most out of that offense.  He's not the OC just the RB's coach and for you to think that this is a conspiracy theory is absolutely ludicrous.  Get your head out of you arse and start enjoying Razorback football.

When was the last time we were in the top 50 in passing?  Pathetic!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

311Hog

Quote from: pigs rule on July 20, 2007, 07:10:00 pm

Uh, last time I checked we were not in the NFL.
He developed good COLLEGE WR's. Isn't that the point for a college coach???

And I guess you didn't notice, but ...he's the running backs coach, not WR's.

no that isnt the point of a college coach, if you want to compete at the highest level, and go to and win BCS bowl games you have to recruit and create NFL READY TALENT and players.

If you are some service academy, or Conference USA school then yeah i suppose it doesnt matter, but is that what we are?