Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tim Horton...being groomed for HC?

Started by twistitup, July 19, 2007, 06:57:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

He has razorback blood, he is on the rise in the coaching world- could Horton be the next Head Coach at Arkansas?

(not that he is ready, but the Good ol' boy system is firmly in place on the hill)

How would you feel?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

razorback903

I'm thinking David Lee is being groomed for the position.  If it's either one of these two, at this point, I'm not impressed.  But then again the season hasn't started, and if the offense looks good and somewhat balanced then they might not be a bad choice.
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

Boarcephus

I feel that when the new sheriff rides into town around the first of the year, the good ol' boy system might be riding out.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

preacherhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 19, 2007, 07:28:37 am
I feel that when the new sheriff rides into town around the first of the year, the good ol' boy system might be riding out.

That would be great, but since the good ole boys are the ones picking the new sherrif, how's that gonna happen?

twistitup

hmmmm....Kinda funny how it is all one big circle- the ones leaving picking their predecessor
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

budcampbellfan

The "good ol' boys" ain't leaving.  Broyles and Nutt maybe but that is the tip of the iceberg.  Depends on whether the gob's want a real coach and program or just more of the same type operation and media intimidation. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: twistitup on July 19, 2007, 06:57:01 am
He has razorback blood, he is on the rise in the coaching world- could Horton be the next Head Coach at Arkansas?

(not that he is ready, but the Good ol' boy system is firmly in place on the hill)

How would you feel?

I feel I would take my allegiance elsewhere.

nextplease

I don't have anything against Horton but it does sicken me that the good ole boy system wins out.

tropical soooiee

July 19, 2007, 08:10:20 am #8 Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 08:12:04 am by tropical soooiee
Quote from: preacherhog on July 19, 2007, 07:30:29 am

That would be great, but since the good ole boys are the ones picking the new sherrif, how's that gonna happen?

I picture it like this....

Good ole boys get out or the new sherrif gets it.

Choctaw Hog

I don't know whether Tim is or will be a good coach for the Hogs but his hiring is but a microcosm of what is wrong on the Hill, another hire from the "good ole boy network".  Until the rot is cleansed from the Hill, 10 years from now we'll still be discussing a .500 SEC record, lost in-state recruits, abysmal bowl performances and record, no SEC Championship and certainly no BCS Bowl game.  Apathy has set in with me in regards to Razorback Football.

rljjr

Choctaw speaks the truth, and even gets +1 for throwing in the use of the word "microcosm."

bwbcpa

Anybody heard anything about the new sheriff? There doesn't seem to be any urgency on the Hill to name any successor. Could the new AD already be in the system?

mrcrowley

How would you feel?
TH hasnt been here a day an he is already being groomed? brotha plz

BartIV

Quote from: razorback903 on July 19, 2007, 07:27:59 am
I'm thinking David Lee is being groomed for the position.  If it's either one of these two, at this point, I'm not impressed.  But then again the season hasn't started, and if the offense looks good and somewhat balanced then they might not be a bad choice.
I agree with this.  HOrton is not HC material just yet, but the program thinks David Lee is and that is scary.  When he coached some school in Texas, his record was 11-46-1.  But something was up on the hill when they hired David Lee, it was either to get him ready for HC or just to give him a job as a favor because he was having to leave Dallas.

tropical soooiee

Quote from: BartIV on July 19, 2007, 08:49:20 am
I agree with this.  HOrton is not HC material just yet, but the program thinks David Lee is and that is scary.  When he coached some school in Texas, his record was 11-46-1.  But something was up on the hill when they hired David Lee, it was either to get him ready for HC or just to give him a job as a favor because he was having to leave Dallas.

Offensive Coordinator is not a "lets just give it to this guy as a favor" kind of job.....but film cutter is.

BartIV

Quote from: tropical soooiee on July 19, 2007, 09:02:05 am
Quote from: BartIV on July 19, 2007, 08:49:20 am

Offensive Coordinator is not a "lets just give it to this guy as a favor" kind of job.....but film cutter is.
Lee threw a ball to Romo one time and Romo made it to the pro-bowl.

tmp

The good ole boy network is alive and well on the hill.

They care nothing about wins, only about keeping things the way they are.

Just play .500 ball, keep the seats filled and the $$ coming in.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: bwbcpa on July 19, 2007, 08:31:27 am

Anybody heard anything about the new sheriff? There doesn't seem to be any urgency on the Hill to name any successor. Could the new AD already be in the system?

JW is keeping his search for the next AD on the down low.  So much so that I don't even think he knows who he's been in contact with.  The most popular rumored names I've heard are Hatfield and Terry Don Phillips.  I'm just afraid the next AD will fit right in with the good ol boys on the BOT...
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

razorback93

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 19, 2007, 08:16:29 am
I don't know whether Tim is or will be a good coach for the Hogs but his hiring is but a microcosm of what is wrong on the Hill, another hire from the "good ole boy network".  Until the rot is cleansed from the Hill, 10 years from now we'll still be discussing a .500 SEC record, lost in-state recruits, abysmal bowl performances and record, no SEC Championship and certainly no BCS Bowl game.  Apathy has set in with me in regards to Razorback Football.
I understand why some are concerned, but I don't think he should be lumped in with the rest of them up there.  Everything I know about him (which isn't much) indicates that he is the kind of person we should be proud to have representing our program and working with these players.  I think he should be given a fair chance, but it seems like some people have made up their minds already.  He may turn out to be more dead weight carried by this staff, but I don't think so.  However, I hope he is not being groomed as future hc unless it is 10-15 years down the road.  He is not close to being ready for that.

Melhog

Quote from: rlh06 on July 19, 2007, 09:24:09 am

JW is keeping his search for the next AD on the down low.  So much so that I don't even think he knows who he's been in contact with.  The most popular rumored names I've heard are Hatfield and Terry Don Phillips.  I'm just afraid the next AD will fit right in with the good ol boys on the BOT...

White will be the next AD.  The person hired as the new AD won't be. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Melhog on July 19, 2007, 09:27:27 am
Quote from: rlh06 on July 19, 2007, 09:24:09 am

White will be the next AD.  The person hired as the new AD won't be. 

Sadly, this is probably true... :puke:
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: razorback93 on July 19, 2007, 09:26:40 am
I understand why some are concerned, but I don't think he should be lumped in with the rest of them up there.  Everything I know about him (which isn't much) indicates that he is the kind of person we should be proud to have representing our program and working with these players.  I think he should be given a fair chance, but it seems like some people have made up their minds already.  He may turn out to be more dead weight carried by this staff, but I don't think so.  However, I hope he is not being groomed as future hc unless it is 10-15 years down the road.  He is not close to being ready for that.

I didn't state that he shouldn't be given a chance, I stated that his hiring was a mere microcosm of a bigger problem.  Regardless of how good of a coach he is or isn't, he is part of "the good ole boy" network and that network has given us a .500 SEC record, Zero SEC Championships, Zero BCS Bowl appearances, an horrendous bowl record and unprecedented on and off the field embarrassments.  Those are facts and are undeniable.  A good measure of insanity is doing the same things and expecting different results. 

slopinhogs

the times they are a changing. get out of the new road if you don't understand for the times they are a changing. come senators and congressman football powers at large and listen to me for the old road it is ragged get out of the new road if you can't lend your hand for the times they are a changing. to quote Peter ,Paul and Mary. the boys on the hills time is limited and the writing is on the outhouse wall and they know what has to be for the times they are a changing :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

UhOhioHog

To play Devil's Advocate:  We have let many coaches with Arkansas ties get away!

Pete Carroll
Monte Kiffin
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Tommy T.
and......some guy they called:

THE BEAR

Razor-back

I agree with you too...but it also amazes me the people who thought a high school coach would get us out of this rut.

ballhog™

The next head coach will not be from this staff.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

hawaiianhogster

Doesn't matter how the ordinary fan feels they will hire who they want. No need winning championships when we get enough money from the SEC anyway. When you start winning big you have to pay the coaches more money to keep them here. The next coach will be another no named coach. We are stuck in mediocrity land it just makes my head spin.

abraHAM_lincoln

I don't want an unproven Head Coach or a "Flash in the Pan" type like Coach Heath was...

...give us a guy who has been head coach before and shown he is worthy of being the head hog.

Choctaw Hog

July 19, 2007, 03:07:43 pm #28 Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:26:07 pm by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: Razor-back on July 19, 2007, 11:35:03 am
I agree with you too...but it also amazes me the people who thought a high school coach would get us out of this rut.

You can count me in as one of the ones who believes that a great high school coach with great potential, i.e. Gus Malzahn, is better that a hundred "has beens" who have let the game pass (no pun intended) them by.  I came to that conclusion after years of watching Gus and the way he conducts himself both on and off the field and no, I'm not from Springdale, I'm from Rogers. 

Call it a gut feel but I liked his apparent organization skills, innovativeness, mannerisms, and the overall way he conducted himself.  Was it a risk?  Sure.  But we all knew what Nutt was capable of because he had years of college coaching history to show us.  Personally, I could see very little downside in letting Gus demonstrate what he could do (remember the entire reason Nutt was forced to hire an OC was his back-to-back losing seasons and his inability to develop any type of a good passing game). 

Way too much is made about coaching experience at the college level and I offer Houston Nutt as example "A" to torpedo that theory.  Houston's college coaching experience at Murry State and Boise State certainally hasn't seemed to help him much, has it?  If you take out all the "rent-a-wins" in Houston's 9 years, you know, the games that the players themselves could coach while our crack head coach texted himself silly in the locker room, his winning percentage would be around .400.  What a terrific accomplishment!

Any good, innovative coach with great upside potential, regardless of where his coaching experience came from, would be hard pressed to do any worse that Nutt has done in 9 years.  In fact, I firmly believe that if you appointed Gus today as the head coach and give him the same 9 years that Nutt has had, he would have a better overall and SEC record that Nutt, although that's not really saying much.  All coaches have a ceiling as far as their coaching ability is concerned and Nutt reached his a long time ago as a GA while Gus' better days are ahead.

Boarcephus

I'm not sure the good ol boys are picking this one.  If the new one is TDP, he's his own man and Frank will be only as close as TDP wants him to be.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: ballhog on July 19, 2007, 11:37:25 am

If this staff gets to a couple of major bowls over the next 2 yrs it will remain status quo.  Coach Nutt like him or hate him is not going to stick around much longer especially if he gets a 12 Win season under his belt he will want to go out with a bang with this being his best opportunity since 98'.    I believe he is mentally burnt out from the criticism and he may either seek the open AD position or semi-retire only to re-emerge at another University.    If anyone were to take the reigns it would be Coach Lee and only then if the passing game shows a phenominal improvement over the last 2 yrs. 

Now if it remains a run dominated offense then you will see the bot & fans want to clean house and start from scratch.  This is just my unbiased opinion as a observer (Not Darkside or Hugger affiliated)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

grayhawg

did I read somewhere JW would have new AD named and on campus in Aug or Sep?

The Boar War

Quote from: grayhawg on July 19, 2007, 03:52:14 pm
did I read somewhere JW would have new AD named and on campus in Aug or Sep?

That seems like the original plan and we're getting eerily close.

HogFanLR

Quote from: tmp on July 19, 2007, 09:19:25 am

The good ole boy - is that the new talking points??? 

What about Coach Horton suggests he is not a great pick at this time of the year.  I do not understand this point of view.  Other than HDN hired him so he must be bad.  Is hiring Coach Horton going to cost us games?  I read his bio and actually thought it was a good hire.  Do you know something contrary?

Razor-back

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 19, 2007, 03:07:43 pm
Quote from: Razor-back on July 19, 2007, 11:35:03 am

You can count me in as one of the ones who believes that a great high school coach with great potential, i.e. Gus Malzahn, is better that a hundred "has beens" who have let the game pass (no pun intended) them by.  I came to that conclusion after years of watching Gus and the way he conducts himself both on and off the field and no, I'm not from Springdale, I'm from Rogers. 

Call it a gut feel but I liked his apparent organization skills, innovativeness, mannerisms, and the overall way he conducted himself.  Was it a risk?  Sure.  But we all knew what Nutt was capable of because he had years of college coaching history to show us.  Personally, I could see very little downside in letting Gus demonstrate what he could do (remember the entire reason Nutt was forced to hire an OC was his back-to-back losing seasons and his inability to develop any type of a good passing game). 

Way too much is made about coaching experience at the college level and I offer Houston Nutt as example "A" to torpedo that theory.  Houston's college coaching experience at Murry State and Boise State certainally hasn't seemed to help him much, has it?  If you take out all the "rent-a-wins" in Houston's 9 years, you know, the games that the players themselves could coach while our crack head coach texted himself silly in the locker room, his winning percentage would be around .400.  What a terrific accomplishment!

Any good, innovative coach with great upside potential, regardless of where his coaching experience came from, would be hard pressed to do any worse that Nutt has done in 9 years.  In fact, I firmly believe that if you appointed Gus today as the head coach and give him the same 9 years that Nutt has had, he would have a better overall and SEC record that Nutt, although that's not really saying much.  All coaches have a ceiling as far as their coaching ability is concerned and Nutt reached his a long time ago as a GA while Gus' better days are ahead.

You make a good point.  He would be better than Nutt at this point.  Thanks for the response.

HoggieStyle

Quote from: HogFanLR on July 19, 2007, 04:26:44 pm

What about Coach Horton suggests he is not a great pick at this time of the year.  I do not understand this point of view.  Other than HDN hired him so he must be bad.  Is hiring Coach Horton going to cost us games?  I read his bio and actually thought it was a good hire.  Do you know something contrary?

The post you quote makes no mention of whether or not the poster is of the opinion that Horton is not a good hire.

HogFanLR

Quote from: HoggieStyle on July 19, 2007, 04:31:18 pm
Quote from: HogFanLR on July 19, 2007, 04:26:44 pm

The post you quote makes no mention of whether or not the poster is of the opinion that Horton is not a good hire.

That is the point of the thread and he stated the "Good ole boy network"  If I took him out of context ok - maybe I should just assume SSDD HDN sucks.  if so fine.

Flatfoot

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on July 19, 2007, 03:44:53 pm

If this staff gets to a couple of major bowls over the next 2 yrs it will remain status quo.  Coach Nutt like him or hate him is not going to stick around much longer especially if he gets a 12 Win season under his belt he will want to go out with a bang with this being his best opportunity since 98'.    I believe he is mentally burnt out from the criticism and he may either seek the open AD position or semi-retire only to re-emerge at another University.    If anyone were to take the reigns it would be Coach Lee and only then if the passing game shows a phenominal improvement over the last 2 yrs. 

Now if it remains a run dominated offense then you will see the bot & fans want to clean house and start from scratch.  This is just my unbiased opinion as a observer (Not Darkside or Hugger affiliated)

I just have a problem understanding if David Lee is the best thing since sliced bread, Why in the blankity blank blank is he here for the Third time!
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

hog_heaven_2000

Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Justifiable Hogicide

If we are lucky enought to get a new head coach, these two cats are gone.

hog_heaven_2000

The PTB will probably tap Lee as HC, Horton as OC, and will keep Herring on as DC.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

granny grunt

Quote from: Flatfoot on July 19, 2007, 04:37:35 pm

I just have a problem understanding if David Lee is the best thing since sliced bread, Why in the blankity blank blank is he here for the Third time!
Lee is not here because he is a great OC.   He is here to cover Nutt's ars'.   Nutt couldn't wait to get rid of Gus [a man that was a threat to hooten's ego]  so Nutt back-doors Malzahn and hires Lee,  then spins the story about what a GREAT pro-style offensive coach Lee will be on his third try at Arkansas.  
I ain't buying it..... The proof will be in the passing game that is supposed to impress us all this year...  

TheHogFan

How would you feel?
Way too early to come to that conclusion. I have no clue if he will be a good RB coach much less a HC>

Flatfoot

Quote from: granny grunt on July 19, 2007, 04:54:14 pm
Quote from: Flatfoot on July 19, 2007, 04:37:35 pm

Lee is not here because he is a great OC.   He is here to cover Nutt's ars'.   Nutt couldn't wait to get rid of Gus [a man that was a threat to hooten's ego]  so Nutt back-doors Malzahn and hires Lee,  then spins the story about what a GREAT pro-style offensive coach Lee will be on his third try at Arkansas.  
I ain't buying it..... The proof will be in the passing game that is supposed to impress us all this year...  

I totally agree Granny, that is why I wrote the post.  If he was so great why is he here for the third time after being told to leave twice already.

Just another "Yes" man for Nutt. 
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

bwbcpa

Strictly speculation, but since we are so close to August and and it doesn't appear there is a concerted effort to replace Frank, think about this - after this season, Houston goes to AD (with his annuity), D.Lee goes to HC, and Horton to OC.  :'(. We don't know how much D.Lee or Horton are going to help until we get into the season, but - oh forget it! This couldn't possibly happen... could it?

Stella

Quote from: TexasHogfan on July 19, 2007, 10:31:05 am
To play Devil's Advocate:  We have let many coaches with Arkansas ties get away!

Pete Carroll
Monte Kiffin
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Tommy T.
and......some guy they called:

THE BEAR

Yeah, it funny.  We let the good ones get away and keep bringing back the bad ones!  INSANE!

bwbcpa

Quote from: Cooper on July 19, 2007, 05:08:55 pm
Quote from: bwbcpa on July 19, 2007, 05:07:35 pm
Strictly speculation, but since we are so close to August and and it doesn't appear there is a concerted effort to replace Frank, think about this - after this season, Houston goes to AD (with his annuity), D.Lee goes to HC, and Horton to OC.  :'(. We don't know how much D.Lee or Horton are going to help until we get into the season, but - oh forget it! This couldn't possibly happen... could it?

No way in hell that a guy who cut film last year ends up head coach.

Sorry! Don't know WHAT I was thinking! I'll try to delete my post...

Coondog Hog

There will always be a Good Ole Boy system at AR whether it's JFB's boys or somebody else's.  It is like this at many schools there will always be an explayer or booster with money who pull strings at these schools to get his kid a scholarship or friend a coaching job it will never go away even if Nutt and his guys leave.  You guys who don like it or understand that had best prepare yourselves top deal with it as it is.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

slopinhogs

i know his daddy has some pull ,but do you think it's that much? :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Boss Hogg

You guys just don't get it...DP will be the next Hog AD & HC...yeah that's right...Dan Patrick, why else would he leave ESPN?