Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oklahoma must forfeit 2005 Season

Started by Break & Run, July 11, 2007, 02:26:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ntubjr

USC is not off the hook.A media person that i know told me that the NCAA was burned by their refusal to cooperate and will make an example of them. This is consistent with an article rhat i read in the LA paper a couple of months ago which predicted no tv for 2 years and a similar ban on bowls.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: HoopHog on July 11, 2007, 02:53:23 pm
Quote from: russell33 on July 11, 2007, 02:45:07 pm
ok how does this affect them for the future? i just dont see the real punishment here. its not like they wont the national title that year and must forfeit that. slap on the wrist

The ssnctions are pretty close to what the NCAA handed Arkansas for the exact same offense.  Prepare to hear Otis Kirk use this "black cloud" over the OU program as an excuse for less than stellar Arkansas recruiting classes.  He will exclaim..."that cloud inadvertantly drifted over the Arkansas border!"
There is enough hot air being blown out from Fayetteville towards the west to Keep that or any cloud from crossing the border. 8)

Gushugger

I think this benefits Gus.  Tulsa should make this a much bigger deal than it is and try to pick up some athletes.  Not saying he's going to pull in a bunch of 5 stars but I think he can pull some 4 stars out of this.

arklahoman36

Quote from: Gushugger on July 11, 2007, 08:44:24 pm
I think this benefits Gus.  Tulsa should make this a much bigger deal than it is and try to pick up some athletes.  Not saying he's going to pull in a bunch of 5 stars but I think he can pull some 4 stars out of this.

While this might benefit a Texas, Fla., USC, ND, aTm, OSU, etc. who OU competes with for players, TU is not going to benefit.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: arklahoman36 on July 11, 2007, 08:49:32 pm

While this might benefit a Texas, Fla., USC, ND, aTm, OSU, etc. who OU competes with for players, TU is not going to benefit.

It could. If some lower tier player was trying to decide between being a big star on a team like Tulsa or being just an average lower level player on OU, it might push him in the Tulsa direction.

arklahoman36

Quote from: NuttinItUp on July 11, 2007, 08:56:06 pm

It could. If some lower tier player was trying to decide between being a big star on a team like Tulsa or being just an average lower level player on OU, it might push him in the Tulsa direction.

Why would it help? They can still play for conference championship, NC and might even have a better chance of being something more at OU with the schollies being knocked down by a couple of the next few years.

CORZRBACKFAN

The NCAA ruling is a complete joke. Those jokers are already on probation. Okielahoma should have had much more severe "forward looking" restrictions slapped against them. I'm talking severe cuts in campus visits and scholarships. These bums have cheated their entire existence, and I truly hope they get caught on another major violation soon. It's a matter of time...
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Gushugger

Thanks for that well thought out reply.

arklahoman36

Quote from: Gushugger on July 11, 2007, 09:17:37 pm

Thanks for that well thought out reply.

You're welcome, thought that was short enough and to the point for you.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Porquer4life

The trick is to make sure the recruits know about the infractions but make sure it comes thru a third party not affiliated with your University.   Making public statements about other schools under sanction is a big mistake.  You want to appear to always take the high road and thus make yourself more attractive to kids and their parents.  No one likes a finger pointer.  It's a very Machiavellian business.

slopinhogs

the TRUTH is to big to run around or climb over isn't it. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Break & Run

Quote from: BigDeal on July 11, 2007, 05:40:06 pm
Quote from: HawgPilot on July 11, 2007, 02:30:18 pm
Anyone heard an update on USC/Reggie Bush deal?  Seems like it kinda "went away"... ???

Interesting. If USC has to forfeit the 2005 season, that would mean we are 1 - 1 against them under Nutt.

lol, because of chance...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Oliver

Will OU's AD give Bob Stoops a two year free pass as a result of all of this?

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

RedSatinHog

Quote from: HoopHog on July 11, 2007, 02:38:15 pm
Quote from: arklahoman36 on July 11, 2007, 02:33:30 pm
Anyone heard an update on USC/Reggie Bush deal?  Seems like it kinda "went away"... ???

Nothing will happen. Because no one involved will cooperate.
No cooperate, no problems with the NCAA.
The NCAA has no subpeona power, and once a kid graduates, what are they going to do to him? Nothing, because they can't.

That's not how it went down for the Michigan basketball program. Weber and crew left Michigan, but the problem still rearred its ugly head.  The school got slammed and Chris Weber got pulled into the court room.  The NCAA will find someone out in LA to cooperate.

If my memory serves me well, it was the school which identified the infractions and imposed in-house sanctions to stave off NCAA sanctions.  Weber was pulled into a court room due to a criminal case involving a former booster, and that was when was subpoenaed to appear and testify.

Maybe I have Weber confused with someone else, though.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

NWASooner

Quote from: Oliver Miller on July 11, 2007, 10:07:10 pm

Um, no.  Stoops didn't ask for a two year pass, either.

Also, FWIW, we're shaping up to have the top class in the country in 2008.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: NWASooner on July 11, 2007, 10:38:33 pm

Stoops won't NEED a two-year pass.  Hell will freeze solid before he has back-to-back losing seasons at OU. 

Oliver

I forgot to hit the "sarcasm" button.  I was taking a shot at Broyles, don't get all upset.  I'm sure you will be laughing again come signing day next year.

arklahoman36

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 11, 2007, 10:31:03 pm

The NCAA has no subpeona power, and once a kid graduates, what are they going to do to him? Nothing, because they can't.

That's not how it went down for the Michigan basketball program. Weber and crew left Michigan, but the problem still rearred its ugly head.  The school got slammed and Chris Weber got pulled into the court room.  The NCAA will find someone out in LA to cooperate.

If my memory serves me well, it was the school which identified the infractions and imposed in-house sanctions to stave off NCAA sanctions.  Weber was pulled into a court room due to a criminal case involving a former booster, and that was when was subpoenaed to appear and testify.

No, it was Webber, he was indicted on a perjury charged and pleaded to a lesser offense.

It was the criminal prosecution involving the booster that held up the decision (I think the NCAA decision came about 4 yrs after the investigation began).

OKCHogFan

RedSatinHog

Quote from: arklahoman36 on July 11, 2007, 11:10:39 pm

No, it was Webber, he was indicted on a perjury charged and pleaded to a lesser offense.

It was the criminal prosecution involving the booster that held up the decision (I think the NCAA decision came about 4 yrs after the investigation began).

However it shook out, the NCAA investigation and subsequent sanctions happened as a result of the indictment in what amounted to a criminal trial.  Even still, the sanctions which resulted were imposed upon Michigan BY Michigan.

arklahoman36

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 11, 2007, 11:15:55 pm

However it shook out, the NCAA investigation and subsequent sanctions happened as a result of the indictment in what amounted to a criminal trial.  Even still, the sanctions which resulted were imposed upon Michigan BY Michigan.

It wasn't the school that IDed the infractions, a bunch of players and recruits were in a wreck, and the media started asking questions about who really owned the SUV that I think Maurice Taylor was driving.

Unlike USC, Michigan didn't have much choice but to impose sanctions on itself and hope for the best.

Initially Michigan didn't jump on the questions, until 7 or 8 months later more and more started to surface about booster Ed Martin and his connection to the program. Then it was revealed that Coach Fisher knew about benefits provided to players -- and although he ordered them to return their ill-gotten booty -- covered up the benefits.

It makes it different from USC on a couple points.

No one is yet making accusations that there is widespread corruption like there was at Michigan and the only possible court action so far is the threat of civil suits, that all but one so far have been settled except with one party.

I know there is an investigation into claims of blackmail by Bush and his family, but I'm betting once he settles with the last party, the family will no longer cooperate with any criminal investigation.

I don't know that USC will skate off scott-free, but I don't think the most serious accusations floating around out there will be proven, resulting in the worst, an NCAA finding of minor violations.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: arklahoman36 on July 11, 2007, 11:35:47 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 11, 2007, 11:15:55 pm

It wasn't the school that IDed the infractions, a bunch of players and recruits were in a wreck, and the media started asking questions about who really owned the SUV that I think Maurice Taylor was driving.

Unlike USC, Michigan didn't have much choice but to impose sanctions on itself and hope for the best.

Initially Michigan didn't jump on the questions, until 7 or 8 months later more and more started to surface about booster Ed Martin and his connection to the program. Then it was revealed that Coach Fisher knew about benefits provided to players -- and although he ordered them to return their ill-gotten booty -- covered up the benefits.

It makes it different from USC on a couple points.

No one is yet making accusations that there is widespread corruption like there was at Michigan and the only possible court action so far is the threat of civil suits, that all but one so far have been settled except with one party.

I know there is an investigation into claims of blackmail by Bush and his family, but I'm betting once he settles with the last party, the family will no longer cooperate with any criminal investigation.

I don't know that USC will skate off scott-free, but I don't think the most serious accusations floating around out there will be proven, resulting in the worst, an NCAA finding of minor violations.

I truthfully didn't follow the case closely at all, except to know that it involved some criminal investigation of a school booster.  It was so cliche at the time, I really didn't care to keep up with it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: arklahoman36 on July 11, 2007, 09:02:33 pm

Why would it help? They can still play for conference championship, NC and might even have a better chance of being something more at OU with the schollies being knocked down by a couple of the next few years.
I am not arguing that it would make a huge difference, but if you are saying that the amount of kids wanting to go to OU is not at all decreased because of this, then you are mistaken. If it is even slightly decreased (which I think it is), then it helps all other schools which might be in a competition for any kind of athlete. (including Texas, ND, etc....and the lower tier ones like Tulsa)

You have to understand that some kids (whether you agree with them or not) are at a marginal almost tipping point between OU and other places (including Tulsa). This incident might be enough to push them to the other side. I am not arguing that their choice is logical, or that their choice is the right one, or anything like that, but if you understand the way a decision making process works when weighing schools and things, there are some kids (who we hear about all the time) that are in a decision making process between 2 (or more) schools for whatever reason, and OU just hurt themselves in that respect.

(I could go on about the relationship to economics and supply and demand curves, and a bunch of other stuff, but I don't want to bore you, haha. ;))

arklahoman36

Quote from: NuttinItUp on July 12, 2007, 12:55:30 am
Quote from: arklahoman36 on July 11, 2007, 09:02:33 pm

I am not arguing that it would make a huge difference, but if you are saying that the amount of kids wanting to go to OU is not at all decreased because of this, then you are mistaken. If it is even slightly decreased (which I think it is), then it helps all other schools which might be in a competition for any kind of athlete. (including Texas, ND, etc....and the lower tier ones like Tulsa)

You have to understand that some kids (whether you agree with them or not) are at a marginal almost tipping point between OU and other places (including Tulsa). This incident might be enough to push them to the other side. I am not arguing that their choice is logical, or that their choice is the right one, or anything like that, but if you understand the way a decision making process works when weighing schools and things, there are some kids (who we hear about all the time) that are in a decision making process between 2 (or more) schools for whatever reason, and OU just hurt themselves in that respect.

(I could go on about the relationship to economics and supply and demand curves, and a bunch of other stuff, but I don't want to bore you, haha. ;))

I agree some schools could see a benefit at the cost of OU, I just don't think TU is one of them.
They don't recruit the same players, not  in state or out-of-state.

If you checked on Scout, going back to the beginning of Stoops' tenure, and check the commits (I don't know if it goes back that far, but probably at least 6 or 7 years).
In all those years combined, I bet you won't find more than a half dozen players recruited by both schools, if that many. Not even the one- and two-star type players.

I also think there is less to leverage now, than before the penalties were announced. The uncertainty of the unknown can no longer be introduced by schools competing with OU for the same players.

I have no doubt that was used against Arkansas, while the NCAA investigation was ongoing, and recruits who've committed to OU for 2008 have named schools who were giving doomsday scenarios.

Like I said, I don't doubt there is the potential that probation could affect decisions, but it's going to benefit the schools OU competes with for players, and that's not TU.

NWASooner

Quote from: Oliver Miller on July 11, 2007, 10:59:32 pm

I forgot to hit the "sarcasm" button.  I was taking a shot at Broyles, don't get all upset.  I'm sure you will be laughing again come signing day next year.

I know.  :-)  The thing that always got me about Nutt's excuse about the NCAA investigations is that almost every coach in the SEC has that rumor floating around about him.  They manage.  What's the difference?

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hollywood_HOGan45

July 12, 2007, 08:06:47 am #78 Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:08:20 am by Hollywood_HOGan45
Why is Boren cryin like a little bitch??  :'(

They just got a little slap on the wrist. Those guys got overpaid by thousands of dollars and only got two ships take away for only a couple years.

The NCAA took MORE ships away from us for only overpaying by 100 dollars when this occurred about 9 years before anybody found out about it happening.

More double standard ruling by the dad gum NCAA.

This is nothign new for oklahoma. They've been on probation for about half of their history.

HoopHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 12, 2007, 08:06:47 am

They just got a little slap on the wrist. Those guys got overpaid by thousands of dollars and only got two ships take away for only a couple years.

The NCAA took MORE ships away from us for only overpaying by 100 dollars when this occurred about 9 years before anybody found out about it happening.

This is nothign new for oklahoma. They've been on probation for about half of their history.

Actually, we imposed stifer penalties upon ourselves in an attempt to be contrite.  Apparently the NCAA places no value upon being forthright.

wbs gurl

From what I gather on ESPN, it's like those games just don't exist.  I think the NCAA is trying to make an example out of OU, but they're probably hurting themselves in the long run because other programs won't be so forthright and turn themselves in now.  Also, this is just going to motivate the Sooners more this coming season  to replace those W's.

Shocktheman

Sucks for Oklahoma fans.  Better them than us!

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: HoopHog on July 12, 2007, 08:12:04 am

Actually, we imposed stifer penalties upon ourselves in an attempt to be contrite.  Apparently the NCAA places no value upon being forthright.

Precisely.  USC is living proof that covering things up, sandbagging, stonewalling and lying are the better tactics.

Reggie was basically a pro athlete during his last year or two at USC and he just bought off the potential witnesses.

OU dismissed the number 1 high school QB in the nation and self reported to the NCAA. You can say lots of things about the OU program under Stoops, but being dirty is certainly NOT one of them.  I've read a lot more jocking for Pete Carroll on this board and his tenure at USC has been shady at best.

OklaU

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on July 12, 2007, 11:49:40 am
Quote from: HoopHog on July 12, 2007, 08:12:04 am

Precisely.  USC is living proof that covering things up, sandbagging, stonewalling and lying are the better tactics.

Reggie was basically a pro athlete during his last year or two at USC and he just bought off the potential witnesses.

OU dismissed the number 1 high school QB in the nation and self reported to the NCAA. You can say lots of things about the OU program under Stoops, but being dirty is certainly NOT one of them.  I've read a lot more jocking for Pete Carroll on this board and his tenure at USC has been shady at best.

Amen, +1 for you.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

Donald Miller

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 11, 2007, 04:17:48 pm
Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 11, 2007, 04:07:09 pm
Quote from: Hogblog on July 11, 2007, 03:18:18 pm
Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 11, 2007, 03:11:16 pm
Quote from: HighonSwine on July 11, 2007, 02:55:11 pm
I guess the 3 years it took to investigate us helped the NCAA determine in less than a year what to do to Oklahomo for roughly the same thing happening.  Glad we were able to help the NCAA resolve someone elses case 2 years "sooner" for the Sooners then what it took to resolve our case.

Maybe the next school that has this happen will be over and done in 6 months.
And the result of the 3 years to investigate gave us two 4 win seasons and basketball went down the tubes as well...Oh, I forgot we arn't supposed to use that as an excuse for the down years....

See how quickly it's over and done when the school cooperates.........Frank is the reason the investigation took as long as it did. Dale is the reason for less than stellar recruiting, not the NCAA....
Where did you hear that Frank held up anything. That would be breaking news. The NCAA said because of a divorce it was hard to get information out of the truck line. Do you really not think that an ongoing NCAA investigastion and possible probation would hurt recruiting.

We lost two players at the last minute.  Zarnell Fitch and Montgomery.  One went to A&M and the other to Tennessee.

Name me the others.
You are correct Fresh.  And, Fitch was ineligible and never played a down at TN.

Did we not change attorneys after almost one yr into the investigation, thus effectively restarting the process all over? 

arklahoman36

Actually I think it was the same number of scholarships, just structured different.

OU lost two a year over four years, while Arkansas (proposed and the NCAA accepted), a loss of three the first year, two the second year, two the third year and one the fourth year.

a_Rev

You guys just wish you could can your 05 season.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: a_Rev on July 12, 2007, 03:51:06 pm
You guys just wish you could can your 05 season.

this probation thing should not be that big of a deal to oklahoma.

ou should be used to being on probation by now.

Razorback_Z71

Quote from: booogaga on July 11, 2007, 03:42:23 pm
Quote from: russell33 on July 11, 2007, 02:53:56 pm
i wonder how long til the sooner fans start firebobstoops.com

lol

LoL!!!!

Stoops  86-19   82% winning percentage    over eight seasons
Nutt    102-67   60% winning percentage    over 14 seasons.

Now who here should really be fired?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Razorback_Z71 on July 12, 2007, 05:39:32 pm

lol

LoL!!!!

Stoops  86-19   82% winning percentage    over eight seasons
Nutt    102-67   60% winning percentage    over 14 seasons.

nutt wouldnt have lasted 4 years at oklahoma.

They wouldnt put up with his titty baby ego up there without winning big.

HoopHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 12, 2007, 05:46:51 pm
Quote from: Razorback_Z71 on July 12, 2007, 05:39:32 pm

lol

LoL!!!!

Stoops  86-19   82% winning percentage    over eight seasons
Nutt    102-67   60% winning percentage    over 14 seasons.

nutt wouldnt have lasted 4 years at oklahoma.

They wouldnt put up with his titty baby ego up there without winning big.

or virtually anywhere else.

Porkem

It would be cool if we could pick up some OU players who would want to transfer because of this.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Jerk Pork

Quote from: Hogblog on July 11, 2007, 03:18:18 pm
Quote from: Jerk Pork on July 11, 2007, 03:11:16 pm
I guess the 3 years it took to investigate us helped the NCAA determine in less than a year what to do to Oklahomo for roughly the same thing happening.  Glad we were able to help the NCAA resolve someone elses case 2 years "sooner" for the Sooners then what it took to resolve our case.

And the result of the 3 years to investigate gave us two 4 win seasons and basketball went down the tubes as well...Oh, I forgot we arn't supposed to use that as an excuse for the down years....

See how quickly it's over and done when the school cooperates.........Frank is the reason the investigation took as long as it did. Dale is the reason for less than stellar recruiting, not the NCAA....
Stoops will be glad to know that investigation and probation will not hurt his recruiting...

OklaU

Quote from: butchdavisisback on July 13, 2007, 12:28:16 pm
It would be cool if we could pick up some OU players who would want to transfer because of this.

Why would anyone transfer?  It doesn't effect anyone.

4thdownnutt

poor utn the school that invented cheating just cant get it out of their blood.  what do do think the word sooners mean?  cheaters because they went over the line before the land grab started. Their just lucky dfw is in their back yard otherwise no winning seasons

OklaU

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on July 13, 2007, 01:29:23 pm
Their just lucky dfw is in their back yard otherwise no winning seasons

what's your excuse?

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: OklaU on July 13, 2007, 06:52:03 pm

what's your excuse?

They are the single greatest team in the history of college football.
Location has nothing to do with their greatness. They have the will to win and will not accept anything less than excellence. The scholarship loss isn't even a speed bump for a program like Oklahoma. Aside from the fact that they policed themselves.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on July 13, 2007, 07:42:20 pm
Quote from: OklaU on July 13, 2007, 06:52:03 pm

what's your excuse?

They are the single greatest team in the history of college football.

Notre Dame is better

4thdownnutt

wonder what it feels like to loose 2 nat. championships?

MuskogeeHogFan

What helped was that Oklahoma disciplined itself immediately and turned everything they had already investigated, over to the NCAA and gave them an open door "full access" to all the records. Even so, this should have been resolved much sooner than it was, but it was just the NCAA dragging it's bureaucratic feet.
Go Hogs Go!