Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida RB Thomas Shuler talks about the Hogs and commitment

Started by The Recruiting Guy, July 10, 2007, 12:26:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

July 10, 2007, 12:26:44 pm Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:33:38 pm by Richard Davenport
Thomas is a 5'11 235 pound TB/FB with 4.55 speed from Dr. Phillips HS, Orlando Florida. Thomas had over 800 yards rushing with 15 touchdowns last season. I talked to Thomas about 30 minutes ago and here's what he had to say.

TRG: Why Arkansas?

Thomas: Because they like to run the ball and I want to run the ball every play.

TRG: What do you best?

Thomas: Run the ball and running people over.

TRG: Can you list all your offers?

Thomas: I know I have West Virgina, Alabama, LSU, Colorado, Louisville, Ohio St. and I think Florida St offered.

TRG: Who recruited you for Arkansas?

Thomas: Coach Wood.

TRG: How did he convince you to be a Razorback?

Thomas: Basically I wanted to get out of Florida.

TRG: Have you made any visits?

Thomas: I've visited FSU, UCF and Auburn.

TRG: Do you have any idea when you may visit Arkansas?

Thomas: I have to call Coach Woods today and set that up.

TRG: When did you start noticing Arkansas and liking them?

Thomas: When they came and played in the Citrus bowl and when they played Florida in the SEC game.

TRG: Have they talked about your role in the offense?

Thomas: Tailback.

TRG: What's your bench and squat?

Thomas: I bench 405 pounds and squat 675.

TRG: Tell me what you're thinking when you're running the ball and see a defender in front of you?

Thomas: Just run'em over.(Thomas had me laughing on this one)

TRG: Who was the runner up to Arkansas?

Thomas: West Virgina.

I see pain in the future for Arkansas opponents. Thomas has a nasty attitude when it comes to running the ball.

Video:

http://64.237.99.126/clips/2008160Shuler.wmv

jpenrod1

is he a 4.5? Rivals had him at 4.7, but 4.5 would be much better.

COCHISE

235 lbs, benches 405 lbs, running at defenders with 4.55 speed........yeah, I'd get outta the way.

Realist

I have to believe he will be in a Peyton Hillis type role

leavenworth1

Playing in the Citrus Bowl (Cap One) was a great start on getting a solid pipeline in Florida.  This commit is a perfect example.

"Just run 'em over".  I love it.

Realist

I would like to get Carlton Thomas or one other back out of florida.  Maybe still Richard Watson

GalaHawg

He looks to be a better runner than Hillis - but seems to have good hands as well.  He'd be great to have for short yardage and goal-line situations. A very nice compliment to De'Anthony Curtis - Thunder and Lightning? Curtis and Shuler would be like Reggie Bush and LenDale White - may not be as good but have similar characteristics.

Razorback Homer

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 10, 2007, 12:26:44 pm

Looks like a good pickup, but can someone explain why Arkansas would recruit Thomas as a tailback, but insist that B. Green would only be a fullback?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Landonhog

Sounds like a solid back...  Does he have good hands?  I too, can see him in more of a Hillis role...

blueshog2001

I love this guys attitude.  We just need to make sure to tell him to run through the "A"; not over it!! ;)  GHG!!!

peakhog

Earl Campbell with HANDS! He doesn't look like 4.5 until he gets in open field. He was outrunning many of the CB's.

jbhicks

This is great news! Welcome to family Thomas! WPS  :razorback:

jpenrod1

Quote from: Razorback Homer on July 10, 2007, 12:58:32 pm

He is faster and stronger than Green was.

Looks like a good pickup, but can someone explain why Arkansas would recruit Thomas as a tailback, but insist that B. Green would only be a fullback?

forttownpimp

Zen_Hog

He doesn't have any stars on Rivals, but trust me, this kid is a bigtime player. Luckily I'm not playing their team this year, but our school is like 5 miles apart. He's got teammates commited to SEC schools already. QB to Ole Miss, WR to Auburn, a RB to Georgia Tech who had an offer from West Virginia. Dr. Phillips has 10 players with D1 offers.

Other Offers: Cincinnati, Colorado, Iowa St, LSU, Louisville, Michigan St, Ohio St, Nebraska, West Virginia

Razorback Homer

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

LordStanleysHog

your link shorts him on his recent reported bench(405) and squat(675) so I'll hold off on their evaluation.

bcdrules

I think that Shuler would be a better fullback than tailback.  I think that he will be utilized much like hillis is in our offense, but I hope he gets more touches than hillis. 

Razorback Homer

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on July 10, 2007, 01:27:42 pm
your link shorts him on his recent reported bench(405) and squat(675) so I'll hold off on their evaluation.

My links shows what Rivals has him rated (which is what FTP asked).  His max bench and squat were probably recorded at the end of the school year and his current max is the result of some hard work over the summer.  I fully expect that he will jump up over his 5.2 rating during the fall, though.

Zen_Hog

COCHISE

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on July 10, 2007, 01:43:31 pm

He's a hog through and through!
No wonder he chose Arkansas, our offers are much prettier...  :D

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Razorback Homer on July 10, 2007, 12:58:32 pm

I was thinking the same thing!

SoTexHog

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on July 10, 2007, 01:20:45 pm
He doesn't have any stars on Rivals, but trust me, this kid is a bigtime player. Luckily I'm not playing their team this year, but our school is like 5 miles apart. He's got teammates commited to SEC schools already. QB to Ole Miss, WR to Auburn, a RB to Georgia Tech who had an offer from West Virginia. Dr. Phillips has 10 players with D1 offers.

Other Offers: Cincinnati, Colorado, Iowa St, LSU, Louisville, Michigan St, Ohio St, Nebraska, West Virginia
those aren't offers that a guy with 2* talent gets.  glad he's coming to the HOGS

OzarkHighs

jb11

Quote from: Tomcat on July 10, 2007, 12:33:45 pm
Reminds me of Earl Campbell and the Oilers of yesteryear.  I love his attitude!
I was thinking Jerome Bettis.  He has the same number as he did. #36

jhogfan554

Another great pick up. A kid with a great attitude and a huge upside. Super job by the coaches and in particular Coach Wood on this one

TheHogFan

Quote from: diehardfan on July 10, 2007, 03:25:14 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on July 10, 2007, 12:33:45 pm
Reminds me of Earl Campbell and the Oilers of yesteryear.  I love his attitude!
I was thinking Jerome Bettis.  He has the same number as he did. #36
Me too. His running style reminds me of him.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: Razorback Homer on July 10, 2007, 01:38:45 pm
Quote from: LordStanleysHog on July 10, 2007, 01:27:42 pm

I fully expect that he will jump up over his 5.2 rating during the fall, though.

Don't you mean you expect him to run it over...LoL

I guess we got a new punt catcher...In all seriousness, I'm ecstatic.  Congrats to this young man...

dennis7758

He has good movement through the line.  Reminded me of Barry Foster coming out of the FB spot watching him run.
"I didn't come here to be a backup," Mustain said. "It would be kind of pointless for me to keep working to do that."

Sportsguy120

this guy looks like a great pickup, its good to know we got a bigger back for all those 4th and 3 plays

mrcrowley

the kid squats 675!  wow!!! welcome aboard thomas!!!

WPS!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

The Boar War

Go to the video Richard Davenport provided and look at the hits this guy gives at :42; 2:04; and 2:38.  Then look at the running power at 4:00.  This kid is a MAC truck and looks to be much better than a 2 star. 

Hawgfan23

The heading on Rivals main page for Arkansas said "Hogs land 10th committment"  who is the 10th after the RB from Florida
National Championship, 6 Final Fours, 9 Elite Eights, 14 Sweet Sixteen Appearances, 27 NCAA Bids, 93 First Team All-Conferences Selections -- 31 Conference Titles.

Tradition Speaks for Itself.

COCHISE

Quote from: Hawgfan23 on July 10, 2007, 04:57:30 pm
The heading on Rivals main page for Arkansas said "Hogs land 10th committment"  who is the 10th after the RB from Florida
I believe they're still counting Dee Williams.  Technically, Shuler is the 10th commitment this year but after Dee's departure we only have 9 commits.

selfexplanatory

RBs are shaping up nicely this class.  Glad to have you Thomas!
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

piggingout

Good lord that is a big running back!! Imagine when he gets a full steam going, I feel bad for any db's.

hawgfandude

Welcome aboard the Hog train.  You can be the next Heisman candidate from Arkansas.

3kgthog

If the 40 time listed on Rivals is accurate (4.72) then this kid is a FB from the moment he steps on campus.

pignparadise

Dr. Phillips High has 13 players with Division I offers. My son transfered from Winter Park (another 6A high school in Orlando) to Har-Ber this off season. He has always said Dr Phillips has the most talent in the Orlando area. Interesting though he says kids take football more seriously at Har Ber than in Orlando and he also says the coaching is better here.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

hogsmaster

I think he is closer to 4.55-4.6 range.  He doesn't look fast, but he ran away from some LB and DB's on the film.  Good hands also.  Great pickup since he picked us over the other schools.

ksrazorback

Awesome, big and brutal!!

TRG:      Tell me what you're thinking when you're running the ball and see a defender in front of you?
Thomas: Just run'em over.(Thomas had me laughing on this one).

:razorback:  Go Future Razorbacks     :razorback:     :razorback:
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: jpenrod1 on July 10, 2007, 12:30:27 pm
is he a 4.5? Rivals had him at 4.7, but 4.5 would be much better.

He's a 4.5 guy foreal once he breaks into the open field.   He does attempt to avoid contact which makes for fewer break aways plays. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pork Twain

Quote from: SoTexHog on July 10, 2007, 03:17:46 pm
Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on July 10, 2007, 01:20:45 pm

those aren't offers that a guy with 2* talent gets.  glad he's coming to the HOGS
Maybe our staff, that knows a thing or two about running the ball, just did not want BG.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MM-gohogs

i loved that kids video. he owned those little high school DBs. that is peyton hillis' replacement next year. starter at FB and in short yardage situations you can line him up at the deep back to get 2-3 hard yards. looks like he has great hands.

i don't think he'll line up at TB too much though because 5'11 235? he'll put on 10 more pounds of muscle and growth at least this year. but he'll see the field a ton.
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Zen_Hog

Quote from: pignparadise on July 10, 2007, 08:57:40 pm
Dr. Phillips High has 13 players with Division I offers. My son transfered from Winter Park (another 6A high school in Orlando) to Har-Ber this off season. He has always said Dr Phillips has the most talent in the Orlando area. Interesting though he says kids take football more seriously at Har Ber than in Orlando and he also says the coaching is better here.

What was his name and position for WP? Interesting he says that the coaching is better in Arkansas, but Winter Park had one of the best coaches of all time in Central Florida and he just recently retired this year. He was the the all time winningest coach in Central Florida, so it's hard to believe he has a better coach elsewhere...

HogNuttz

Quote from: GalaHawg on July 10, 2007, 12:48:05 pm
...like Reggie Bush and LenDale Davis

That would be LenDale White.

I wasn't overly impressed with the video, but it is hard to argue the list of schools recruiting him.  I don't expect him to play any TB like he said he was recruited for.  Maybe it doesn't help that I just watched the Sam McGuffie video (again) before watching this one.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

whitecohogg

My best friend just moved back from Morgantown, WV and he told me that even the prominent people are missing teeth up there and "good looking women" is an oxy-moron!

forttownpimp

Why is he still taking more visits this fall?  I'm a little nervous about him visiting Ohio State during football season.