Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An SEC coach says this about our QB...

Started by woodhog14, June 22, 2007, 06:17:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LA Football fan

CD will do fine throwing the football.  His problem is that he has absolutely no ability to avoid the rush.  If he feels any pressure it is a sack and momentum killer.  With Nutt's system of throwing to a designated receiver ( usually Monk who you know will be double covered), CD is going to struggle this year and every year until we get an offensive system that doesn't put the qb on an island.  How anyone on here can actually believe our passing game is going to improve is beyond me.  We have watched Nutt for 9 years now and suddenly our passing game is going to jell with a retread OC that couldn't pass when he was here the last time?  Give me a break, our offense is "not" going to be better after losing 3 offensive lineman and the "OCOY".  Lee will run "exactly" what Nutt wants and the SEC DC's know this, so we will see nothing but 8 and 9 man defensive fronts all year with Monk double covered.  If CD gets hurt, we will have a true freshman qb in the game again or a qb with only DII experience, not much to get excited about there either.  We may have the best two running backs in college football, but it takes a lot more than that to win 10 games a year.  We play at Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee and people think we will have a better year than last year? 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pork Twain

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:20:41 pm
Quote from: razorback3072 on June 22, 2007, 09:18:53 pm
2 QBs w/ virtually equal numbers = poor coaching philosophy.

Who was OC last year, I forgot.
Better question is who was in charge of the QB's and WR since those were the weakest links on our team.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 09:31:31 pm

Better question is who was in charge of the QB's and WR since those were the weakest links on our team.

After USC:  Nutt, Nutt and Nutt.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

YellvilleHog

Here's something I don't get. If they felt they needed to hire a different QB coach, why move Alex to WR coach, if he wasn't cutting it one position, adios. That is something that infuriates me about Nutt he hangs onto staff no matter what, too loyal

YellvilleHog

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 22, 2007, 09:32:43 pm

Then how did Gus win the OCY ? I don't get it. Give Nutt his award.

Pork Twain

You're just being silly now.  I fear you have slipped into one of your HDN hating furies.

Now you are just being silly.  I fear you might have slipped into one of your Nutt hating furies.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

cityhog

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 07:44:34 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 22, 2007, 07:38:48 pm
Quote from: Flatfoot on June 22, 2007, 07:37:23 pm
Quote from: IcEwalker on June 22, 2007, 07:36:38 pm
i can't wait til all of those who bash casey dick are proven wrong by him.

the guy has had a full offseason of workouts and is going to be getting most of the snaps. the guy will be greatly improved since last year. we will see more of the qb that won the south carolina and tennessee games.

But failed miserably against LSU, Florida, and Wisconsin

And has a weak arm and even less touch.  I like Casey.  I'm sure he's a great kid.  But he's not the caliber of talent we need to make it to the next level.

you KNOW I respect your opinions, but I think your way off base on Mitch vs Casey. You're basing your opinon of Mitch solely based on what he did in HS. I am CONVINCED that Mitch is an average QB that was made to look better by the system he played in in HS. His performance in both the AA game and last year in college last season would seem to bear that out. I also think Casey is an average QB.

Yeah, Pete Caroll just loves those average QB's at USC.  C'mon man.  Everyone in America wanted him including us.  He should have redshirted.  He wanted to redshirt, but Dork needed to save his job, and give the fans SOMETHING/ANYTHING to be hopeful for after buttkicking part II from USC.

DezNuttstehsuq

If you honestly believe Gus was calling his own plays and not being told what to call from Nutt's playbook with minimal input from his own you are delusional, gullible, blind, not to bright, or some combo of all the above.  Sorry trying not to offend but the truth can sting abit sometimes.

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:35:02 pm

Then how did Gus win the OCY ? I don't get it. Give Nutt his award.

He was able to influence it enough + Dmac.

But there is no way Gus wanted to run out the clock against Florida down 2 scores with no timeouts and 3 minutes left.....or to keep Casey in there for that matter.

It was time for the HUNH, which they HAD practiced.

Nutt was running out the clock.  Had we won, Nutt would have been marketed elsewhere and would be gone, and I know that for a fact!

YellvilleHog

Quote from: DezNuttstehsuq on June 22, 2007, 09:36:16 pm

If you honestly believe Gus was calling his own plays and not being told what to call from Nutt's playbook with minimal input from his own you are delusional, gullible, blind, not to bright, or some combo of all the above.  Sorry trying not to offend but the truth can sting abit sometimes.

Again, then explain to me how Gus won the OC of the year award? Gee wouldn't have Nutt's huge ego have INSISTED that that award be given to him instead? You accuse "huggers" of not using logic, or common sense, but.........

PS - Name one SINGLE HC that would let ANY OC let alone a first year guy call every play out of his own playbook without input from the HC?

YellvilleHog

Here's one I've got for you shavin, and I want someone to give me a logical explanation for it. If they can.

We have the most conservative scared of passing HC in the modern era of college football. At the end of the LSU game we attempted four long passes down the field in a row. This seems totally out of character for Nutt, yet totally within the realm of possibility for his young OC that was trying to make a name for himself. But when those 4 passes failed everyone wants to blame the conservative running coach for calling them instead of running DMac. I feel quite confident in saying that if one of them would have went for a TD those same people would have been on here trumpeting Gus as a freaking genius for passing when LSU was clearly expecting us to run. Explain to me how that is at all logical?

razorback3072

Once again, it doesn't matter who the QB, WR or their position coaches are if the philosophy is to "throw to this receiver or not at all."  Based on past seasons and conversations I have had with former players that is Nutt's philosophy.  I am not saying MM was better than CD or vice versa.  I don't think it matters who is the QB.  Things aren't going to change as long as the QBs are not allowed to develop and make decisions on their own.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

DezNuttstehsuq

June 22, 2007, 09:45:12 pm #113 Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:49:42 pm by DezNuttstehsuq
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:39:02 pm
Quote from: DezNuttstehsuq on June 22, 2007, 09:36:16 pm

Again, then explain to me how Gus won the OC of the year award? Gee wouldn't have Nutt's huge ego have INSISTED that that award be given to him instead? You accuse "huggers" of not using logic, or common sense, but.........

PS - Name one SINGLE HC that would let ANY OC let alone a first year guy call every play out of his own playbook without input from the HC?

Thats simple really, Gus was able to work magic using the Junior High basis for Nutt's playbook and succeed where even Nutt had failed....clap clap recognition...award goes to Gus...

Then guess what Nutt's ego drove him off.. Hahah aint that grand...

Now on to your 2nd question, Todd Graham, because he has confidence in Gus' skill set and actually lets it flourish rather than squashing it.

Theolesnort

June 22, 2007, 09:45:35 pm #114 Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:48:49 pm by Theolesnort
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 07:44:34 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 22, 2007, 07:38:48 pm
Quote from: Flatfoot on June 22, 2007, 07:37:23 pm
Quote from: IcEwalker on June 22, 2007, 07:36:38 pm
i can't wait til all of those who bash casey dick are proven wrong by him.

the guy has had a full offseason of workouts and is going to be getting most of the snaps. the guy will be greatly improved since last year. we will see more of the qb that won the south carolina and tennessee games.

But failed miserably against LSU, Florida, and Wisconsin

And has a weak arm and even less touch.  I like Casey.  I'm sure he's a great kid.  But he's not the caliber of talent we need to make it to the next level.

you KNOW I respect your opinions, but I think your way off base on Mitch vs Casey. You're basing your opinon of Mitch solely based on what he did in HS. I am CONVINCED that Mitch is an average QB that was made to look better by the system he played in in HS. His performance in both the AA game and last year in college last season would seem to bear that out. I also think Casey is an average QB.
Don't you think that is rather a foolish statement to be making about Mitch this early and under the circumstances he was under this year? For sure Pete would not have given him a scholie to USC if he thought Mitch was just a average qb. Neither would Pat Jones say he was comparable to Aikman coming out of highschool. Mitch will do just fine at USC to our chagrin. After all Troy had to go to UCLA to make his mark.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:43:41 pm
Here's one I've got for you shavin, and I want someone to give me a logical explanation for it. If they can.

We have the most conservative scared of passing HC in the modern era of college football. At the end of the LSU game we attempted four long passes down the field in a row. This seems totally out of character for Nutt, yet totally within the realm of possibility for his young OC that was trying to make a name for himself. But when those 4 passes failed everyone wants to blame the conservative running coach for calling them instead of running DMac. I feel quite confident in saying that if one of them would have went for a TD those same people would have been on here trumpeting Gus as a freaking genius for passing when LSU was clearly expecting us to run. Explain to me how that is at all logical?

I don't know, Yellville.  You got me.  Good point.  Keep bringing it, brotha!

DezNuttstehsuq

I ll answer that for you too

Nutt wanted Dick to be a hero like Matt Jones few years before, that way if it played out that way he could take even more credit

Its really not that hard to see thru Nutt's transparencies Yellville, its really a weight lifted when you let it happen ))

YellvilleHog

Two things.

1. Gus is no longer a first year OC, and more importantly.

2. Todd is already convinced that the HUNH with Gus's playbook will work in CUSA, so Gus IS working withing Todd's system.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 22, 2007, 09:45:46 pm

and that my friend is why I respect you. You get caught on a point and you say hey, good point, I'm not changing my mind, but good point and then you bring a good point rather than dropping back to name calling.

Pork Twain

Quote from: DezNuttstehsuq on June 22, 2007, 09:47:13 pm

Nutt wanted Dick to be a hero like Matt Jones few years before, that way if it played out that way he could take even more credit

Its really not that hard to see thru Nutt's transparencies Yellville, its really a weight lifted when you let it happen ))
You sound like the same type of guy that says Nutt cannot recruit but with the talent we had last year we should have could have/should have beaten 3 top 5 teams to finish the year.

You should stop posting and take notes on how Notshavin carries himself.

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:49:17 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 22, 2007, 09:45:46 pm

and that my friend is why I respect you. You get caught on a point and you say hey, good point, I'm not changing my mind, but good point and then you bring a good point rather than dropping back to name calling.

That is what Hogville in essence is all about.  I do respect you.  And that was a great point.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:47:34 pm
Two things.

2. Todd is already convinced that the HUNH with Gus's playbook will work in CUSA, so Gus IS working withing Todd's system.

Gus' system would have worked with whatever coaching philosophy the head coach wants.  You cannot use the lesser conference argument because the skills of the TU players are on par with those of the other CUSA teams and while Gus was here the players on the team here where on par with those on the other SEC teams
So that argument is pointless.

Pork Twain

Quote from: DezNuttstehsuq on June 22, 2007, 09:54:01 pm
Two things.

Gus' system would have worked with whatever coaching philosophy the head coach wants.  You cannot use the lesser conference argument because the skills of the TU players are on par with those of the other CUSA teams and while Gus was here the players on the team here where on par with those on the other SEC teams

So you are saying that stars and recruiting rankings don't mean anything?

YellvilleHog

Two things.

Read what I freaking wrote. I didn't say the HUNH wouldn't work in the SEC. I said what coach that wasn't convinced it would win would allow his OC to run it unchecked, and the answer is none.

razorback3072

Didn't Pete Carroll do that for years?  He was in charge of the D and he let the OC handle the offense.

But they didn't go for a TD.  And one of the explanations I would have would be that your OC specialized in a HUNH offense, yet they were not running any kind of two minute offense on that last possession.  That isn't GM's style.  I don't have a problem with the first pass.  They had DMAC in a good matchup and he had his man beat.  But you don't keep going for it all every time.  Going for it on first down was fine but you have to get yardage after that.   
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

Pork Twain

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:56:24 pm
Two things.

Read what I freaking wrote. I didn't say the HUNH wouldn't work in the SEC. I said what coach that wasn't convinced it would win would allow his OC to run it unchecked, and the answer is none.
Forget the coach the AD would not allow it and he has the real power, not HDN

Smokehouse

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 09:55:05 pm
Two things.

You could be a bad recruiter and still end up with a good class every once in a while. It's perfectly fair to say, "I don't think Nutt is a good recruiter because (fill in argumnet here)," but still admit that we had great talent last year (whether people want to believe it was fluke, kids that would have come here anyway, luck, whatever.)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

razorback3072

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 09:57:46 pm
Two things.

Forget the coach the AD wold not allow it and he has the real power, not HDN

Now that is the truth!

YellvilleHog

Quote from: razorback3072 on June 22, 2007, 09:56:48 pm

Didn't Pete Carroll do that for years?  He was in charge of the D and he let the OC handle the offense.

But they didn't go for a TD.  And one of the explanations I would have would be that your OC specialized in a HUNH offense, yet they were not running any kind of two minute offense on that last possession.  That isn't GM's style.  I don't have a problem with the first pass.  They had DMAC in a good matchup and he had his man beat.  But you don't keep going for it all every time.  Going for it on first down was fine but you have to get yardage after that.   

No Pete Carroll didn't do that for years, he had an OC that ran a philosophy that he Pete already believed in.

You can't convince me that if one of those passes had worked Gus wouldn't have gotten ALL the credit. Also you can't convince me that Gus didn't have to talk Nutt into passing on every down in that situation. Look at the dude's history. As it's often said on here. run run run punt.

Pork Twain

June 22, 2007, 10:00:55 pm #129 Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:02:32 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: Smokehouse on June 22, 2007, 09:58:07 pm
Two things.

You could be a bad recruiter and still end up with a good class every once in a while. It's perfectly fair to say, "I don't think Nutt is a good recruiter because (fill in argumnet here)," but still admit that we had great talent last year (whether people want to believe it was fluke, kids that would have come here anyway, luck, whatever.)
So you are saying that stars and recruiting rankings don't mean anything?  I am not talking about recruiting.  I am talking about the talent on our campus as opposed to that on the other SEC campuses that we compete against.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 09:51:16 pm
Quote from: DezNuttstehsuq on June 22, 2007, 09:47:13 pm

You sound like the same type of guy that says Nutt cannot recruit but with the talent we had last year we should have could have/should have beaten 3 top 5 teams to finish the year.

You should stop posting and take notes on how Notshavin carries himself.

Im just messing with Yellville hence the smileys at the end
I dont think Nutt can or has recruited worth a flip but I will give him credit for getting the kids ready to smash heads with some of the best and come oh so close to winning
Where we fall short is the coaching the finer details.  With a smidget of time management we beat LSU, with a little extra prep on special teams and game scenarios we beat Florida,  with a serviceble QB we beat Wisconsin.

And actually I generally read every one of Notshavins posts, he is a hero of mine ))

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 06:36:45 pm
Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on June 22, 2007, 06:34:42 pm
That's what ONE coach in the SEC thinks about Casey Dick.  I don't like it anymore than anyone else does but this guy is going to be our QB this year.  Fact is Casey's only started 7 or 8 football games so no one has seen enough of him to make a fair assessment of what he can do.  I for one hope he's able to find his niche in the offense and contribute to some wins.
Fact is CD missed most of the preseason practices last year and never had a chance to get into any kind of rythm with his receivers.  I think it will be a different story this year, because he looked better at the end of the year before than he did last year.
The LSU game was a new Bible on "Passing SEC Style "

The wait till next year gig is done. Learn it

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 09:57:46 pm
Two things.

Forget the coach the AD would not allow it and he has the real power, not HDN

Best post on the thread, Beo..

razorback3072

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 09:59:47 pm

No Pete Carroll didn't do that for years, he had an OC that ran a philosophy that he Pete already believed in.

You can't convince me that if one of those passes had worked Gus wouldn't have gotten ALL the credit. Also you can't convince me that Gus didn't have to talk Nutt into passing on every down in that situation. Look at the dude's history. As it's often said on here. run run run punt.

and Nutt didn't believe in GM's philosophy or there would have been more HUNH than one series in the USC game.  I agree with your point about Nutt's history but I think it was panic time.  I think Nutt thought he could use DMAC to beat everybody and win the game with one play but it didn't work(more than once).  Monk had been doubled all night and he thought they could use DMAC.  It worked on the first play and was a good call but the pass was off.  You have to try something different, especially after the second pass was off as well. 

I think CD and DMAC would have gotten the credit just like MJ and DB did.  No one remembers that MJ had only completed like 3 passes until the long one to Smith and then the one to DB.  They only remember the pass to DB.  I think it would have been the same way.  But we will never know.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 10:00:55 pm
Two things.

So you are saying that stars and recruiting rankings don't mean anything?  I am not talking about recruiting.  I am talking about the talent on our campus as opposed to that on the other SEC campuses that we compete against.

I do believe stars and ranking play a major role in the overall talent of a team no doubt about it.  And I believe we are probably upper middle in the talent department.  That is why it is so important that Nutt and his staff just beat every fine detail into the kids so they are set up to succeed when the opportunity presents itself.

So far Ive not seen that.  I ll give you an example...The Fish Fumble...Shibest, Nutt, Gus, and even Reggie should have pulled Fish aside and threatened bodily harm/expulsion from the UofA to make a point that he not even attempt to catch that ball inside the 10 and to be aware of where he was.  History proved otherwise.

Well we all have to remember last year was a perfect storm. Middle of road fan expectations, the OL was tight, the backs were spectacular, Reggie worked miracles with a patchwork quilt and we had superb talent spread across the whole team, angels from Heaven showered us with luck early on and the team rode that on to great win streak.  We had a potential miracle season regardless of the star ranking and recruiting and what really irks me most is the kids deserved more from the coaching staff in a few situations that could have turned potential into reality

cityhog

Quote from: razorback3072 on June 22, 2007, 10:09:23 pm

and Nutt didn't believe in GM's philosophy or there would have been more HUNH than one series in the USC game.  I agree with your point about Nutt's history but I think it was panic time.  I think Nutt thought he could use DMAC to beat everybody and win the game with one play but it didn't work(more than once).  Monk had been doubled all night and he thought they could use DMAC.  It worked on the first play and was a good call but the pass was off.  You have to try something different, especially after the second pass was off as well. 

I think CD and DMAC would have gotten the credit just like MJ and DB did.  No one remembers that MJ had only completed like 3 passes until the long one to Smith and then the one to DB.  They only remember the pass to DB.  I think it would have been the same way.  But we will never know.

My ? is why do wait until desperation time to get serious about passing the ball?

Smokehouse

Two things.

Your point was about recruiting based on your early post about Darksiders that will say that Nutt is a bad recruiter but that we had talent last year. Maybe I should have just quoted that, I thought your comment on stars was continuing on that post. My point on that, however, is that it is possible for one to be a bad recruiter and occasionaly get a good class. Also, your point on the fact that some Darksiders are illogical isn't really a good point to use in a debate. I'll give you that some Darksiders aren't illogical (i.e., people that give Nutt blame for any bad call and Gus credit for all good calls. I don't know how the play calling went, and I don't think Nutt is a good coach, but there's no reason to believe there's that much of a dichotomy in the calling.) However, there are plenty of Huggers that don't use the best logic either. Really a moot point as far as debate goes.

And regarding stars, I think they obviously do matter somewhat. The stars are given based on people that spend most of their time watching these guys, studying these guys, and learning about these guys. Will they be wrong occasionally? Yes. There's always a chance a kid did great in high school, but can't cut it in college. Maybe some off-the-field issues (which would generally be unforseeable) hurt his performance. Whatever. I'm willing to bet, however, that those players ranked four/five stars end up ranging from good to great players much more often than they do busts. You can certainly go for a "Diamond in the rough" approach and try to find overlooked players, but the problem is you just dig through a lot of rough to get a diamond, when you could just go get some diamonds. I would say go after the big recruits and then pull in some lower recruits and see if they pan out would generally be the way to go.

Sorry that post was so wordy, for a journalism major I'm too vociferous.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

razorback3072

Quote from: cityhog on June 22, 2007, 10:22:49 pm
Quote from: razorback3072 on June 22, 2007, 10:09:23 pm

My ? is why do wait until desperation time to get serious about passing the ball?

That's a very good question.  There was another thread that discussed the comparisons of previous seasons and it was said that the only season since 1999 that we had averaged over 200 yds/game was in 2004 with MJ.  We went 5-6 that year.  I think the reason we had the higher numbers in passing that year was that we were playing catch up.  If you wait until then to start throwing the ball, you are toast.  You don't have to have a great passing game, just a threat of one.  The Auburn game this year was a great example of that.  Connect with a couple of early passes to relax the D and you can dominate them.

Pork Twain

Quote from: DezNuttstehsuq on June 22, 2007, 10:17:25 pm
Two things.

I do believe stars and ranking play a major role in the overall talent of a team no doubt about it.  And I believe we are probably upper middle in the talent department.  That is why it is so important that Nutt and his staff just beat every fine detail into the kids so they are set up to succeed when the opportunity presents itself.

So far Ive not seen that.  I ll give you an example...The Fish Fumble...Shibest, Nutt, Gus, and even Reggie should have pulled Fish aside and threatened bodily harm/expulsion from the UofA to make a point that he not even attempt to catch that ball inside the 10 and to be aware of where he was.  History proved otherwise.

Well we all have to remember last year was a perfect storm. Middle of road fan expectations, the OL was tight, the backs were spectacular, Reggie worked miracles with a patchwork quilt and we had superb talent spread across the whole team, angels from Heaven showered us with luck early on and the team rode that on to great win streak.  We had a potential miracle season regardless of the star ranking and recruiting and what really irks me most is the kids deserved more from the coaching staff in a few situations that could have turned potential into reality
How can we be upper/middle when we rank in the lower half in recruiting on a yearly basis?

Bosston

That's what ONE coach in the SEC thinks about Casey Dick.  I don't like it anymore than anyone else does but this guy is going to be our QB this year.  Fact is Casey's only started 7 or 8 football games so no one has seen enough of him to make a fair assessment of what he can do.  I for one hope he's able to find his niche in the offense and contribute to some wins.
Fact is CD missed most of the preseason practices last year and never had a chance to get into any kind of rythm with his receivers.  I think it will be a different story this year, because he looked better at the end of the year before than he did last year.

that alone is tells me all I need to know. how can we be in a position to chose betwen a true freshman and a guy who missed most of spring practice (not to mention very little experience before that)

you have to run a program. that means you have a QB coming back every year with sec experience. are you telling me that RoJo would have been any worse than Dick last year? RoJo could have (not)run the wildcat as well as Dick or Mustain.

HDN burns redshirts to save his ass every year and the program suffers for it.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Bosston on June 22, 2007, 10:39:22 pm

that alone is tells me all I need to know. how can we be in a position to chose betwen a true freshman and a guy who missed most of spring practice (not to mention very little experience before that)

you have to run a program. that means you have a QB coming back every year with sec experience. are you telling me that RoJo would have been any worse than Dick last year? RoJo could have (not)run the wildcat as well as Dick or Mustain.

HDN burns redshirts to save his ass every year and the program suffers for it.

What is the point of your post? "Burning" redshirts has little if anything to do with having a starting QB every season. It would definitely effect your depth chart, but not your starter, unless your relying on RS Fr to start every season?

ThinkPig

This is what I hate about this site. 

What coach said that?

Like back when the poll was being pumped, who did it?  As it turned out it was done by an unknown firm with no credibility. 

So what coach dissed Casey Dick?  The head coach of the University of Northern South Dakota at Hoople? 

Please!

YellvilleHog

Quote from: ThinkPig on June 22, 2007, 10:44:55 pm

What coach said that?

Like back when the poll was being pumped, who did it?  As it turned out it was done by an unknown firm with no credibility. 

So what coach dissed Casey Dick?  The head coach of the University of Northern South Dakota at Hoople? 

Please!

Ummm - HUH?

As for you hate this site. see the little red X on the upper right corner of the screen..........

razorback3072

June 22, 2007, 10:50:35 pm #143 Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:53:46 pm by razorback3072
Quote from: ThinkPig on June 22, 2007, 10:44:55 pm

What coach said that?

Please!

It was in one of the pre-season magazines.  I saw it the other day in the store and was thumbing through it looking at what was being said about AR.  They had quoted "what an SEC coach has to say about AR" and that was in the quote.  They didn't say who the coach was or what school he coached at.  I don't remember what magazine it was but it was in there.
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 10:48:17 pmUmmm - HUH?

As for you hate this site. see the little red X on the upper right corner of the screen..........

LOL!   That's one point we can agree on Yellville.

hoggystyle78

It doesn't matter anyway, all Casey's gonna do is handoff and throw 3 yd routes to Hillis. I like Casey too, I just don't think he's the QB we need to get where we want. Maybe next year one of the incoming freshmen will come on, until then get ready to see plenty of Mcfadden, Jones and Hillis around the line of scrimmage, cause that's about how wide open it's gonna be this year fellas.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 22, 2007, 06:17:31 pm
quoted "I don't think they'll miss Mitch Mustain, but I don't think Casey Dick is very good."

That's what opposing coaches think of our QB play and passing game.

Thanks Dale!!!!  :-[

Why would anyone expect any other type of comment or opinion? I mean, what has Dick done in the past year and a half that would elicit any other kind of comment? Based on his play and stats as a QB, he's mediocre at best. And in the SEC, medicore is going to get a team nowhere.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Tmac813

I have to chime in on this post, because I think a few posters are doing CD a disservice, simply because he is not M-16.  IMHO there was not much difference in either QBs performance, although CD played against much tougher defenses(LSU, Florida, Wisc).  I don't have the exact stats, but I think all three of those defenses were in the top ten categories in the Nation?  Every one keeps bringing up this particular coach, but don't the coaches vote on specific players of the year?  Someone please tell me how CD went from being on the all SEC Freshman team to just an average, not ready for the SEC QB?

paraloma

Southern QB Rankings

By B.J. Bennett
SouthernPigskin.com Senior Editor

We open our annual position rankings by listing the best quarterbacks of the ACC and SEC.

Top Quarterbacks in the ACC/SEC

1. Andre Woodson, Kentucky – Woodson emerged as one of the premier quarterbacks in the nation last season, showing great touch on his downfield passes and the ability to make big plays routine. Perhaps more importantly, Woodson learned to minimize his mistakes. His 31-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio was simply stunning.

2. Erik Ainge, Tennessee – Offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe had a great impact on Ainge, helping him fulfill his potential after a disappointing sophomore season. Ainge showed pinpoint accuracy in 2006, completing 67% of his passes. If he can fully recover from an off-season injury, the veteran Ainge should be poised for a banner senior year.

3. Matt Ryan, Boston College – The leading signal caller in the ACC, Ryan brings consistency, experience and poise to the Eagle offense. Ryan threw 15 touchdown passes last season while averaging 245 yards through the air per game. He and the passing game should benefit from a new coaching staff, which plans to implement a more wide-open attack.

4. Tim Tebow, Florida – As a true freshman, Tebow made quite a name for himself playing behind senior Chris Leak. Now it's his time. One of the most athletic and versatile quarterbacks in all of college football, Tebow is the perfect fit for Urban Meyer's offense. He scored 13 touchdowns in spot duty last season, a testament to his explosiveness.
5. John Parker Wilson, Alabama – Set a school record for touchdown passes in a season with 17 in 2006. Wilson has quick-strike ability and gives Alabama, and new offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, many options in the passing attack. With receivers D.J. Hall and Keith Brown back for another run, expect the Crimson Tide offense to put up big numbers through the air.

6. Matt Stafford, Georgia – Though it took a few games for the initiation to begin, Stafford was thrown to the wolves as a true freshman in the SEC. It was a learning experience, but the young gun showed his unlimited potential. Now armed with experience, to go with his ideal set of skills, Stafford is ready to take charge. He and Sean Bailey, back from injury, will put up big numbers.

7. Brandon Cox, Auburn – Cox will provide savvy senior leadership for the Tigers in 2007. As a junior, he threw for 2,021 yards and 14 touchdowns while keeping his interception total to just nine. This young Auburn team will look to Cox for a big final season out on The Plains.

8. Matt Flynn, LSU - Has shown flashes of brilliance in limited duty. Flynn obviously has huge shoes to fill with his predecessor JaMarcus Russell having just recently been the top pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. A senior, the job is now his. Flynn has good athleticism and strong leadership. He and the Tigers are the early favorites in the SEC.

9. Chris Nickson, Vanderbilt – A dynamic playmaker, Nickson compiled 2,779 total yards and 24 total touchdowns for the Commodores last season. With Nickson, there is never a busted play as he has tremendous elusiveness along with the ability to make throws on the run. He was the leading rusher for Vanderbilt in 2006.

10. Taylor Bennett, Georgia Tech – Yes, he's a first-year starter, but Bennett may be the next big thing in the ACC. He threw for over 300 yards and three touchdowns in a Gator Bowl opportunity against West Virginia. He has shown great pocket poise in limited action thus far. With Calvin Johnson gone, he will have to distribute the ball around.

These same guys have McFadden and Jones as #1 and #2.
Dallas Washington for Heisman

hawgdog2005

What did you expect with HDN developing a QB????

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 07:34:51 pm
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on June 22, 2007, 07:32:58 pm
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 22, 2007, 07:27:53 pm
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on June 22, 2007, 07:24:54 pm
Quote from: woodhog14 on June 22, 2007, 06:17:31 pm
quoted "I don't think they'll miss Mitch Mustain, but I don't think Casey Dick is very good."

That's what opposing coaches think of our QB play and passing game.

Thanks Dale!!!!  :-[

My take on the not missing Mitch statement is that this coach knows that Mitch would never see the field again as long as Nutt was the head coach.  You don't miss something you are not using.

That theory makes no sense. Even if the guy thought Mitch would never start he would assume he would be used in practice. I take it to mean he meant he didn't think Mitch would have contributed anything to the Hogs. I find that theory stupid, but that seems to be what he meant.

Perhaps I'm wrong but most coaches and fans don't make statemets about "practice" players not being missed. 

No, but they do make comments on depth.

The coach didn't say anything about depth.  If the statemet is true, he mentioned Mitch by NAME!  That's not a comment about depth.