Dual Threat QBs

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, June 19, 2007, 10:43:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 22, 2007, 09:22:26 pm
Quote from: ste4236 on June 22, 2007, 09:19:18 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 22, 2007, 09:13:45 pm
Quote from: ste4236 on June 22, 2007, 09:05:19 pm
It's really not fair to look at the history of dual threat QB's in championship action, given the fact that that hasn't been a big part of football for very long, relatively. Plus, why does it matter that one has never won in the NFL? I wasn't aware that the Hogs played NFL football. Besides, Matt Jones was a pretty good dual threat QB.

How many Championships did Matt win again?

Did you watch much footage of Mustain this season? He really didn't develop from HS to adapt to the college game, in which corners will read a QB's eyes, especially when he telegraphs his pass and doesn't look off receivers. Williams did most of Mustain's work in high school. Quick flare and let Damian beat the defense, that was the main part of Springdale's passing attack. Besides, a high percentage of the Arkansas football team was not a fan of #16, and that is a problem.

For a true freshman, 8-0 is pretty good, regardless of Dmac.

The team was not a fan of him because DALE wanted him to fail and created that kind of atmosphere.

Try to educate yourself a little more before you post this kind of crap.
Sorry, what it looks like you are saying is that every Arkansas QB since 1964 is a failure because they didn't win a championship? Ouch, that's a tough bar to set. Sorry I only educate myself based off facts, broken down footage, and a wide assortment of my personal friends on the UA football team. I fail to see how it's crap other than the fact that you often seem arrogant. Nothing against message boards, but it's not what one should educate themselves with, that's how "crap" gets posted.

As far as recruits, yes, Mitch was THE BEST QB recruit we have ever signed.

Your "personal friends on the U of A football team" says it all.

Our recruiting now SUCKS.

Highest rated but WAY to early to say he is the best ever signed.  They have not always handed out stars and as far as I know he has not won it all yet and I know that is how you judge the worth of a QB.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ste4236

Quote from: BeoPig on June 22, 2007, 09:28:59 pm
It's really not fair to look at the history of dual threat QB's in championship action, given the fact that that hasn't been a big part of football for very long, relatively. Plus, why does it matter that one has never won in the NFL? I wasn't aware that the Hogs played NFL football. Besides, Matt Jones was a pretty good dual threat QB.

Did you watch much footage of Mustain this season? He really didn't develop from HS to adapt to the college game, in which corners will read a QB's eyes, especially when he telegraphs his pass and doesn't look off receivers. Williams did most of Mustain's work in high school. Quick flare and let Damian beat the defense, that was the main part of Springdale's passing attack. Besides, a high percentage of the Arkansas football team was not a fan of #16, and that is a problem.

The team was not a fan of him because DALE wanted him to fail and created that kind of atmosphere.

Sorry, what it looks like you are saying is that every Arkansas QB since 1964 is a failure because they didn't win a championship? Ouch, that's a tough bar to set. Sorry I only educate myself based off facts, broken down footage, and a wide assortment of my personal friends on the UA football team. I fail to see how it's crap other than the fact that you often seem arrogant. Nothing against message boards, but it's not what one should educate themselves with, that's how "crap" gets posted.

Highest rated but WAY to early to say he is the best ever signed.  They have not always handed out stars and as far as I know he has not won it all yet and I know that is how you judge the worth of a QB.
Agreed, I think some of the best players to play the game have emerged once they were in college and adapted to a new system that fits them better. Not sure why my friends say it all, but I guess it really doesn't matter.

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

blu

I am very, very happy with our QB recruits. Every DC in the country has nightmares trying to stop the dual threat QB. With our offense, it seems to make more sense. And all NSTNG can do is say "3 Stars - yawn".  That is his only response. I'll take a Vince Young/Steve Young/Troy Smith any day.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

IcEwalker

why dont you walk up to Jim Youngblood, Cruz Williams, Kale Pick, Dee Williams, and Matt Hall and tell them "our recruiting sucks". i'd love to see matt hall put you on your back.

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Pork Twain

Quote from: IcEwalker on June 23, 2007, 09:58:44 am

why dont you walk up to Jim Youngblood, Cruz Williams, Kale Pick, Dee Williams, and Matt Hall and tell them "our recruiting sucks". i'd love to see matt hall put you on your back.
Honestly, I would love for you to use your head... 

He said RECRUITING sucks and it does.  He did not say the RECRUITS sucked.  We get out recruited by 75% of the SEC.  That is not impressive.  Do you understand the distinction???
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

blu

Excuse me, but what is "recruiting" other than a reflection of the "recruits"?

351hog

Quote from: BeoPig on June 23, 2007, 10:38:19 am
Quote from: IcEwalker on June 23, 2007, 09:58:44 am

Honestly, I would love for you to use your head... 

He said RECRUITING sucks and it does.  He did not say the RECRUITS sucked.  We get out recruited by 75% of the SEC.  That is not impressive.  Do you understand the distinction???

Its the same thing....if our recruiting sucks, then you are saying our recruits suck.  If we were signing, what he thought, were good recruits, would he say our recruiting sucked?  Nope. 

And you are referring to 75% last year, the prev poster said our recruiting "now" sucks.  If he was talking about last year then he would have said our recruiting sucked (hence the past tense).  So that was a direct shot at our current recruits.  Do you understand the distinction??

Pork Twain

June 23, 2007, 11:01:01 am #308 Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:04:11 am by BeoPig
Gee, I don't remember him saying any of the recruits sucked.  I can say that the cooperate offices of Wal-Mart sucks but I still love Wal-Mart.

Are you happy that we rank in the bottom of the SEC in recruiting almost every year?  Do you like seeing players like D'Angelo Williams, Bret Smith, Matt Stoltz, Wes Helms, Lee Ziemba, Bartley Webb, Slick Shelley, Kodi Burns, Broderick Green, Ryan Mallett, Paul Henry, Zack Pianalto, MM, DW walk out of the state us turn around and sign the same type of player from out of state that is a lower ranked individual???

The way our coaches attack recruiting sucks.

Our approach to recruiting sucks.

351hog

Quote from: BeoPig on June 23, 2007, 11:01:01 am
Gee, I don't remember him saying any of the recruits sucked.

Are you happy that we rank in the bottom of the SEC in recruiting almost every year?  Do you like seeing players like D'Angelo Williams, Bret Smith, Matt Stoltz, Wes Helms, Lee Ziemba, Bartley Webb, Slick Shelley, Kodi Burns, Broderick Green, Ryan Mallett, Paul Henry, Zack Pianalto, MM, DW walk out of the state us turn around and sign the same type of player from out of state that is a lower ranked individual???

Our apporach to recruiting sucks.

Bret Smith:  really good player for the Vols?...laughable
Sholtz:  he is here now and what has he done?
Wes Helms, I think you mean Brett:  very good player, will give you that.
Ziemba:  We were behind from the beginning when both his parents are Auburn alums.
Webb:  let me know how he turns out.
Slick Shelly:  the same Slick that could not make it in the SEC? 
Burns:  we hate dual threat qb's anyways so why would we want him?
Green:  too slow to play Rb, didnt' want to play Fb
Mallet:  how did we screw this one up?  he said he wasn't coming here if we signed Mitch, we signed Mitch and Mallett went elsewhere.
Henry:  Isn't he playing for Ark State?  Yeah, big miss there.
Pianalto:  We signed 2 higher ranked TE's than him...why would we need 3?

Pork Twain

Quote from: 351hog on June 23, 2007, 11:09:11 am

Ziemba:  We were behind from the beginning when both his parents are Auburn alums.
Mallet:  how did we screw this one up?  he said he wasn't coming here if we signed Mitch, we signed Mitch and Mallett went elsewhere.
So it is okay for you to criticize them, but not for Notshavin to critcize our recruiting.  What a joke.

IronHog

All this criticism of our recruiting, but who did we play last year who had dramatically superior players across the starting lineup than Arkansas?

No one.

Now if some of those Arkansas boys had been on the team the depth would have been much better.

Ex)  Smith at WR would help Monk immensely even he never lived up to his HS All-American billing.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

351hog

Quote from: BeoPig on June 23, 2007, 11:11:07 am

So it is okay for you to criticize them, but not for Notshavin to critcize our recruiting.  What a joke.

You see, there is a difference....Notshavin is talking about RAZORBACK commits.  You brought up players that are NOT playing for the Hogs.  We are on a RAZORBACK site and he wants to bash our recruits??  Do you see the difference??   

Pork Twain

Quote from: 351hog on June 23, 2007, 11:17:28 am

You see, there is a difference....Notshavin is talking about RAZORBACK commits.  You brought up players that are NOT playing for the Hogs.  We are on a RAZORBACK site and he wants to bash our recruits??  Do you see the difference??   
I am smart enough to understand that he is talking about the efforts of the coaching staff when it comes to recruiting.  He is not bashing any of the recruits in this thread.

351hog

Quote from: BeoPig on June 23, 2007, 11:18:59 am

I am smart enough to understand that he is talking about the efforts of the coaching staff when it comes to recruiting.  He is not bashing any of the recruits in this thread.

If a person is saying our recruiting sucks then they are saying our recruits suck.  Again, if we had signed all 5 stars do you think he would say anything??  We have not signed 5 stars so he is saying it sucks.  I dont see how you can not relate the two. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: 351hog on June 23, 2007, 11:22:08 am

If a person is saying our recruiting sucks then they are saying our recruits suck.  Again, if we had signed all 5 stars do you think he would say anything??  We have not signed 5 stars so he is saying it sucks.  I dont see how you can not relate the two. 
You have the right to be wrong.  Sorry you cannot see the difference in being critical of a process and not being critical of the product.  I think sweat shops suck but I love my Nikes.

351hog

Quote from: BeoPig on June 23, 2007, 11:25:13 am

You have the right to be wrong.  Sorry you cannot see the difference in being critical of a process and not being critical of the product.  I think sweat shops suck but I love my Nikes.

But you are complaining about the process of recruiting b/c you are not happy with the end result correct?  The end result is our commits, so you are complaining about them.

Again, do you think if we signed all 5 stars that someone would bitch about the recruiting? 

Its like I'm playing cards with my sister's kids.... 

blu

351 wins this one. If you say "our recruiting sucks", one must determine what criterion is used to establish that fact. That would be the relative merits/talents of our signees/commits to others we are competing against. The statement is an indictment of those that were in charge of the recruiting, no question, but it is undeniably also a comment on the recruits themselves.

Pork Twain

June 23, 2007, 01:09:29 pm #318 Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:13:40 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: 351hog on June 23, 2007, 11:33:11 am
Quote from: BeoPig on June 23, 2007, 11:25:13 am

Our approach to recruiting sucks.

But you are complaining about the process of recruiting b/c you are not happy with the end result correct?  The end result is our commits, so you are complaining about them.

Again, do you think if we signed all 5 stars that someone would bitch about the recruiting? 

Its like I'm playing cards with my sister's kids.... 
I am happy with the boys we have but I think we could have done better.  Was there ever a time you really wanted something for X-mas, but did not get it?  Where you happy with what you got and showed your parents love and appreciation, but deep down still wanted the thing you did not get?

I cannot believe I am defending Notshavin', prepare for the end of times.

Pork Twain

Quote from: blu on June 23, 2007, 11:43:48 am
351 wins this one. If you say "our recruiting sucks", one must determine what criterion is used to establish that fact. That would be the relative merits/talents of our signees/commits to others we are competing against. The statement is an indictment of those that were in charge of the recruiting, no question, but it is undeniably also a comment on the recruits themselves.
Glad you think you get to make the call on who won this one.  With better recruiting we all win.

blu

Amen, and I am in agreement with you on a lot of things, but I'm not so sure our recruiting sucks. We were never just flat out-manned this past season (except USC early on). We have some of the most talented players in the country at their positions (D-Mac, Felix, Luigs, Monk) coming back this year, after 2 first rounders, and 1 second rounder in this past years' draft. Have we gotten everyone we wanted? No. Did we miss out on some big in-state recruits the last couple of years? Yes. But even two years ago, we were competitive with almost every team we played. I think our recruiting is OK. We have gotten some awesome players, mostly (but not all) from in-state. We can and will (hopefully) do even better in the future, with or without Nutt.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: blu on June 23, 2007, 02:45:58 pm
Amen, and I am in agreement with you on a lot of things, but I'm not so sure our recruiting sucks. We were never just flat out-manned this past season (except USC early on). We have some of the most talented players in the country at their positions (D-Mac, Felix, Luigs, Monk) coming back this year, after 2 first rounders, and 1 second rounder in this past years' draft. Have we gotten everyone we wanted? No. Did we miss out on some big in-state recruits the last couple of years? Yes. But even two years ago, we were competitive with almost every team we played. I think our recruiting is OK. We have gotten some awesome players, mostly (but not all) from in-state. We can and will (hopefully) do even better in the future, with or without Nutt.

I would qualify our recruiting as average. Yes we do have some stars in the starting lineups on BOTH sides of the ball, but our depth simply isn't up to snuff with the power teams. That's obvious when you realize that EVERY time we have an injury we have to go about switching positions in order to put a competitive team on the field.

31to6

Quote from: blu on June 23, 2007, 11:43:48 am
It is possible to have terrible recruiting without having a problem with any individual recruit. What if we went out and recruited 15 4* kickers or nothing but 190lb offensive linemen with "quick feet"? That would be a fiasco, but according to you it would be wrong to criticize the recruiting because it might hurt the feelings of the recruits.

I don't like people bashing the players here. It lacks class if you call yourself a fan.

But you know, the kids want to be surrounded by the best team the coaches can assemble. That is why good recruiting is contagious: you get a couple hoss linemen and it is easier to recruit running backs to run behind them. You recruit a great QB and the WR's are lining up for a chance to be his target.

OTOH, if your recruiting lacks strategy, is lazy or you only recruit "kids who already want to be Razorbacks" then you aren't out there with a cohesive plan, selling the University and trying to assemble a championship team.

I don't think that criticizing a recruiting class as a whole is unacceptable for a fan because in it's intent it reflects much more of a comment on the effort and skills of the coaching staff than it does about the players.

But badmouthing individual players is low and puts you in the same company as TP in my book.

IcEwalker

according to the reports of Richard Davenport, our coaches are not lazy and are out recruiting hard some of the top players around.

imo, if you think the recruiting sucks, you think the players suck. just try explaining a distinction between the two to one of the recruits, im sure they'll understand...

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: IcEwalker on June 23, 2007, 11:09:40 pm
according to the reports of Richard Davenport, our coaches are not lazy and are out recruiting hard some of the top players around.

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pork Twain

imo, if you think the recruiting sucks, you think the players suck. just try explaining a distinction between the two to one of the recruits, im sure they'll understand...
In the past recruiting HAS sucked and it has nothing to do with what I think about the players we DID get.  The fact is, there were better in-state players that we ignored.  If you look at my post history you will see that I think the last couple of classes have looked much better but we are not where we could have been.

31to6

The 2008 may indeed be a very good class. I do think that in the past the recruiting has lacked intensity. It seems to have picked up, but I'll reserve judgment until the commitments solidify.
By your rationale if the coach just "recruited" the first hundred guys who expressed interest it would still be unacceptable to criticize the recruiting.

Pork Twain

Quote from: wdremington on June 23, 2007, 11:33:54 pm
The 2008 may indeed be a very good class. I do think that in the past the recruiting has lacked intensity. It seems to have picked up, but I'll reserve judgment until the commitments solidify.
By your rationale if the coach just "recruited" the first hundred guys who expressed interest it would still be unacceptable to criticize the recruiting.
Amen

Albert Einswine

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 23, 2007, 04:58:19 pm
Quote from: blu on June 23, 2007, 02:45:58 pm

I would qualify our recruiting as average. Yes we do have some stars in the starting lineups on BOTH sides of the ball, but our depth simply isn't up to snuff with the power teams. That's obvious when you realize that EVERY time we have an injury we have to go about switching positions in order to put a competitive team on the field.

Go buy lottery tickets now!  Yellville and Einswine agree on something!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

YellvilleHog

That's what they call a sign of the apocalypse.

Pork Twain

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 24, 2007, 01:17:30 am
That's what they call a sign of the apocalypse.
I heard that and I have actually defended Notshavin today.  Of course I got sick afterwards...

blu

June 24, 2007, 10:51:18 am #331 Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:52:52 am by blu
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 23, 2007, 11:10:31 pm

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You absolutely kill me. Anything that in anyway reflects positively on the coaching staff is not believed and a joke to you. I used to think you were humorous, now you're getting repetitive and boring. If Odus says it, yeah, take it with a grain of salt, but if TRG says it, I believe it. He has no agenda. His livelihood is not tied to the staff in any way. You need to get back in touch with reality, just a little.