Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kid From Greenwood NOT Considering ARKANSAS ?

Started by BigDeal, June 15, 2007, 06:41:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Besides all that MML, I'm just more than a little concerned about a QB whose last name is Pick!  LOL.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

slopinhogs

he needs to listen to Weiss at Notre Dame you don't win the big games with a rushing offence. you must learn to pass the ball. what if you rush for 425 yards in the game and lose 28 -21 who will care. to quote Mr. Weiss.
:razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 09:47:42 pm
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 09:41:37 pm
Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 09:36:12 pm
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 09:28:58 pm
Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 09:22:17 pm
Quote from: HOGBITS on June 15, 2007, 08:45:55 pm
Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 07:03:05 pm
Ask your buddy Nutt why he's been a day late and a dollar short with this kid?

(Hint: He might have had to actually work for him so he just took the kid who would fall over because of an offer from the Hogs, which usually speaks volumes for who was recruiting him prior when he's from Kansas)

Would you rather have the rivals #5 quarterback at his position or the #21 at his position?

I'm glad Wilson put the restraint on or I would have told you that you have rocks in your head.  This post is a prime example but I won't resort to that.  I can make my point just fine although it would be nice to add some emphasis for fun but I understand folks get too worked up.

If you'll re-read my post, you'll notice that I did not call for us to pick between Youngblood and Wilson.  Youngblood is not from Kansas.  I'd like to have both.

SO you're not happy about Pick then? I personally would like to have both Youngblood and Wilson on our team, but understand the danger in recruiting 2 kids that are likely to go into pro baseball rather than play college football.

No, I'm not happy one bit about Pick.  I would fine with his recruitment if the following two items were true:

1)  Nutt wasn't so late on Wilson and chose to be lazy rather than recruit. 
2)  He had more big time schools recruiting him. 

All we hear is about improving the passing game, yet Nutt doesn't want the kid who can throw the ball who is only an hour and a half away.  It's pure hogwash.

The excuse about baseball doesn't apply:
1)  Youngblood could play baseball too.  It doesn't how matter how many QBs leave.  If 1 or 20 go, they are no help to your team.
2)  Even if both of these kids go, we have plenty of QBs, unless you believe last year's class was a dud (which I do).  Nathan Dick may be able to help but I don't think Chaisson is big enough or fast enough to cut it in the SEC.

I agree with you about last years class, and so think that it is crucial that we have at least one QB that we know will be on campus out of this particular recruiting class. It is far from a sure thing that either Youngblood or Wilson play college football, and I can understand not wanting to use your 2 scholarships on 2 kids that may not even show up on campus. We took the chance on one, but that other scholarship MUST be used for a kid that we are POSITIVE will be on campus.

No, you can take a risk.  That's where we differ.  You're going the conservative route.  I'm going with the high risk, high reward.  BTW, I really don't think it's that likely but I'll call it high risk to be fair in regards to your argument.

To me, we should have never been in this situation.  I wouldn't have ran Mr. You know who off but that's water under the bridge now.  Even under the circumstances, I would still take both. 

You also factor in that we're just letting more schools come in and take our kids and open up pipelines.  It's a dangerous trend.  Not to mention, schools weren't exactly knocking down the door of Pick.  To me, we'd been better off taking the gamble.  If not, I'm comfortable that Casey and Nathan are better than this Pick kid.

To me, it comes down to this:  You can't go tell everyone you're trying to improve the passing game and then sign two dual threat QBs and barely sniff the town of Greenwood with a kid who completed 67% as a junior. 

But not one single bit of that fits Nutt's style. He is a conservative guy, and I can understand his being conservative on this. Should he have been after Wilson? IMO hell yes, but between being bit in the ass over Mitch last season (no I'm not saying Mitch did anything wrong, just saying in the end trying it bit Nutt in the ass) and the fact that both of these kids could go pro on baseball I can understand his reasoning.

razorback3072

Quote from: slopinhogs on June 15, 2007, 09:50:10 pm
he needs to listen to Weiss at Notre Dame you don't win the big games with a rushing offence. you must learn to pass the ball. what if you rush for 425 yards in the game and lose 28 -21 who will care. to quote Mr. Weiss.
:razorback:

See LSU game. 

Yeah, I know special teams hurt us but DMAC ran all over them and we still lost and we lost in the end because we had no passing game or two minute offense.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 09:54:36 pm
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 09:51:58 pm
But not one single bit of that fits Nutt's style. He is a conservative guy, and I can understand his being conservative on this. Should he have been after Wilson? IMO hell yes, but between being bit in the ass over Mitch last season (no I'm not saying Mitch did anything wrong, just saying in the end trying it bit Nutt in the ass) and the fact that both of these kids could go pro on baseball I can understand his reasoning.

Do I understand Nutt?  Yes.  He's scared of his own shadow if I may exaggerate a tad.

But we're not talking about whether we understand him.  We're talking about do we agree?  I say the answer to that is an emphatic no!  Why sign people just to fill a roster spot?

Do you agree with me that you would take either Casey or Nathan over this Pick kid?  I sure would.

To be quite honest, I haven't seen enough of Pick to know if I would take him or not. It sounds to me like your more upset about recruiting Pick then you are about not recruiting Wilson, is that accurate?

razorback3072

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 09:51:58 pm

It bit him because of his own ego.  Getting MM here helped boost ticket sales(helping to save his job) and won us 7 games in a row(not counting SC for either QB).  benching him finished us 2-3.  Bottom line is he is scared to recruit top QBs because ever since the 2000 season he has done what Frank wanted and been super conservative.  If he brings in a "passing" QB then that won't make daddy happy.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Albert Einswine

Yellville,  110 posts per day in the 4 days since you've been a member.

That's some impressive marketing you're doing for the BAC.  What are they paying you?

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

THHAWG

Wilson's terrific passing stats and 5A state title, in which he played great when it mattered most, would lead me to prefer him over Youngblood.  But that would be assuming Nutt was going to implement a real passing game.  Youngblood could build a case in 2007 though.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 15, 2007, 10:03:04 pm
Yellville,  110 posts per day in the 4 days since you've been a member.

That's some impressive marketing you're doing for the BAC.  What are they paying you?

They pay me in nachos and all the coeds I can handle.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BigDeal on June 15, 2007, 06:41:25 pm
Is this some mistake on rivals.com ? What is going on here. I notice his speed is not the greatest, but wondering if he is not being recruited by Arkansas, or does he not like a pro-style offense ?

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=56871

Is he a QB? Is he being recruited by the upper echelon of college programs? If the answer is "yes" to both questions, then why would he consider Arkansas? If I was a QB in HS and being recruited by top 20 programs of the past 10 or so years, the Hogs would literally be last on my list even if I lived in the Hogs' backyard. Nutt couldn't coach a QB if his life depended on it. And neither can Lee.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Justme

Regardless, I still can't believe Nutt didn't offer him.

tigerLSU

Quote from: LawnHog48 on June 15, 2007, 06:52:16 pm
Another big mistake by Nutt. I guess they didn't want him. I know LSU wants him and he has as much talent throwing the ball and moves very well in the pocket. I think Tyler is right there with Mitch Mustain in throwing the ball and maybe even moves better in the pocket.
Many people think that he will committ to LSU..soon

Justme

Quote from: tigerLSU on June 15, 2007, 10:14:51 pm
Another big mistake by Nutt. I guess they didn't want him. I know LSU wants him and he has as much talent throwing the ball and moves very well in the pocket. I think Tyler is right there with Mitch Mustain in throwing the ball and maybe even moves better in the pocket.
Thanks, HDN.  Another outstanding decision.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 10:14:15 pm
David Lee will use the routes Nutt has always used.  He'll defer when Nutt wants to call plays.  Nutt won't have to worry about the fans watching him to see if he overrules Gus or is doing the chickendance to signal in those plays.  The fire drill on the sidelines will resume.

Don't worry and Pseudo called this idea back in about February...

Nutt saw what McFadden could do in the wildcat and had flashbacks to Matt Jones.  No one teaches that option like David Lee though.  We saw clips on the news in the spring with McFadden running that same radar option.  Just wait and see.

See and I would think that if Nutt truly had the big ego that some say he does that he would go all out with the pass this next season as a big Frank you to all his detractors.

Justme

SteelShot

(Hint: He might have had to actually work for him so he just took the kid who would fall over because of an offer from the Hogs, which usually speaks volumes for who was recruiting him prior when he's from Kansas)

This is the absolute truth.  I have always said that Nutt would rather recruit against teams that he knows he can beat (TCU, RICE, New Mexico, Iowa St., Lousianna Tech) than go against the big dogs and lose a kid.  Especially in state kids!  If an instate kid even looks at another school seriously, then Nutt is ready to pull his offer and put Grit on the "destroy the kid" war path. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

BigDeal

Quote from: Hawgon on June 15, 2007, 06:52:33 pm
Is this some mistake on rivals.com ? What is going on here. I notice his speed is not the greatest, but wondering if he is not being recruited by Arkansas, or does he not like a pro-style offense ?

The Great Nutt has decided not to recruit Mr. Wilson.  He considered some other schools so obviously, he doesn't "want to be a Razorback" bad enough to play for Mr. Nutt.

I'm not sure I am satisfied with that answer. Any three star pro-style rated QB in a coach's back door should have the home school on his short list, even if the final committment isn't there.

Something doesn't stir right with this.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: SteelShot on June 15, 2007, 10:23:36 pm

This is the absolute truth.  I have always said that Nutt would rather recruit against teams that he knows he can beat (TCU, RICE, New Mexico, Iowa St., Lousianna Tech) than go against the big dogs and lose a kid.  Especially in state kids!  If an instate kid even looks at another school seriously, then Nutt is ready to pull his offer and put Grit on the "destroy the kid" war path. 

What a bunch of BS - like Nutt calls up Grit and says "Ok I didn't want Player X , so make sure you write it up that he isn't a very good player" knowing full well the level of scrutiny given to recruiting.

Richard_white

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:30:30 pm

What a bunch of BS - like Nutt calls up Grit and says "Ok I didn't want Player X , so make sure you write it up that he isn't a very good player" knowing full well the level of scrutiny given to recruiting.

Yeah I wonder who was spreading those Kodi rumors around ???

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Richard_white on June 15, 2007, 10:31:50 pm

I seriously doubt it was the coaching staff, or are you suggesting that Coach Nutt also breaks NCAA rules by commenting on recruits before they have signed a LOI even though there has never been even a hint of breaking the rules on Nutt's part.

Richard_white

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:33:46 pm

I seriously doubt it was the coaching staff, or are you suggesting that Coach Nutt also breaks NCAA rules by commenting on recruits before they have signed a LOI even though there has never been even a hint of breaking the rules on Nutt's part.

No.  I was saying someone was spreading rumors about Kodi during the recruitment year.  Auburn or Arkansas.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Richard_white on June 15, 2007, 10:36:44 pm

No.  I was saying someone was spreading rumors about Kodi during the recruitment year.  Auburn or Arkansas.

So, either you're saying that Nutt's staff broke rules or you're saying Tube's staff broke rules.

Richard_white

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:39:06 pm

So, either you're saying that Nutt's staff broke rules or you're saying Tube's staff broke rules.

NO.  I am saying either Auburn or Arkansas.  It can be anybody in the state.  Get it?

Newhopehog

well nutts staff broke the agreement with the NCAA that no booster would be on the sideline, so what would another little stretch mean.....

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Richard_white on June 15, 2007, 10:40:29 pm

NO.  I am saying either Auburn or Arkansas.  It can be anybody in the state.  Get it?

Auburn is not a state, they are a school. If it was someone at Auburn, it was someone at the school, it stands to reason that you aren't saying it was either someone  at Auburn the school or Arkansas the state.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Newhopehog on June 15, 2007, 10:42:17 pm
well nutts staff broke the agreement with the NCAA that no booster would be on the sideline, so what would another little stretch mean.....

Did he? The ONLY place that I have read that there are boosters on the sidelines of our games is on here. I go to all the games and have never seen a booster on the sideline. I admit I wasn't scouring the site looking for signs of one, but I have looked at the sideline and never noticed one.

SteelShot

You are truly lost if you do not think that Nutt and the MSM talks to Grit about recruits.  The Kodi burns incident wasnt the first time it happened, but it was the worst that I can remember. 

Richard_white

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:43:48 pm
Quote from: Richard_white on June 15, 2007, 10:40:29 pm

Auburn is not a state, they are a school. If it was someone at Auburn, it was someone at the school, it stands to reason that you aren't saying it was either someone  at Auburn the school or Arkansas the state.

It could possibly be.  I'm not sure.  I am saying that someone was spreading rumors about Kodi to try to influence him to make a decision.

oldtimerhog

No mistake on rivals.com bigdeal. The kid is obviously very intelligent.  No way he should consider Arkansas with Nutt and Lee at the helm on offense.  Get ready, the mouthpieces for the Hill will start hyping Youngblood and Pick and putting down Wilson.  Screwing with the life of a 17 year old.  That is their style.  Wilson will be the best QB of the three of course and he will always be happy he didn't chose Nutt!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

YellvilleHog

Quote from: SteelShot on June 15, 2007, 10:45:27 pm

You are truly lost if you do not think that Nutt and the MSM talks to Grit about recruits.  The Kodi burns incident wasnt the first time it happened, but it was the worst that I can remember. 

Of course they talk in generals, but they don't talk about specific recruits. I can't believe our own "fans" are now accusing our staff of NCAA violations. Sad.

Newhopehog

So you are saying that TP was never on the sideline and did not have a sideline pass.......

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Newhopehog on June 15, 2007, 10:47:50 pm
So you are saying that TP was never on the sideline and did not have a sideline pass.......

I am saying that I never saw her there, and the only "confirmation" I've had that she was came from this site.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 10:49:44 pm
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:18:53 pm
Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 10:14:15 pm
David Lee will use the routes Nutt has always used.  He'll defer when Nutt wants to call plays.  Nutt won't have to worry about the fans watching him to see if he overrules Gus or is doing the chickendance to signal in those plays.  The fire drill on the sidelines will resume.

Don't worry and Pseudo called this idea back in about February...

Nutt saw what McFadden could do in the wildcat and had flashbacks to Matt Jones.  No one teaches that option like David Lee though.  We saw clips on the news in the spring with McFadden running that same radar option.  Just wait and see.

See and I would think that if Nutt truly had the big ego that some say he does that he would go all out with the pass this next season as a big Frank you to all his detractors.

Well you're going to have to pick between his ego and his conservative nature now.

I would think his ego would over ride his conservatism.

oldtimerhog

Quote from: BigDeal on June 15, 2007, 10:27:40 pm
Quote from: Hawgon on June 15, 2007, 06:52:33 pm

The Great Nutt has decided not to recruit Mr. Wilson.  He considered some other schools so obviously, he doesn't "want to be a Razorback" bad enough to play for Mr. Nutt.

I'm not sure I am satisfied with that answer. Any three star pro-style rated QB in a coach's back door should have the home school on his short list, even if the final committment isn't there.

Something doesn't stir right with this.

Nutt never "stirs" right!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

Richard_white

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:49:54 pm

I am saying that I never saw her there, and the only "confirmation" I've had that she was came from this site.

Well she had to been on the sideline or someone had been talking to her. She couldn't have known what she typed in that email to Mitch if she wasn't there first hand or someone talking to her.  Which one do you believe is true?

DaForsaken

According to my understanding of the rules, a coach CAN comment on certain recruits.  However, it cannot be in a public forum, or to a reporter that might report and/or publish any comments.  Coaches talk to their friends and family about recruits all of the time.

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Richard_white on June 15, 2007, 10:51:58 pm

Well she had to been on the sideline or someone had been talking to her. She couldn't know what she typed if she wasn't there first hand or someone talking to her.  Which one do you believe is true?

I can believe she was at practices, which wasn't against the rules, and I can believe that she was hearing things from people that led her to have her crazy thoughts. Neither of those things broke the rules about her being on the sidelines during a game.

Newhopehog

then why did the uni revoke her sideline pass over the email????

SteelShot

Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:46:58 pm

Of course they talk in generals, but they don't talk about specific recruits. I can't believe our own "fans" are now accusing our staff of NCAA violations. Sad.

What is sad is that you belive that coaches dont talk to writers about players (yes, even recruits). Grit gets his info from the coaches and others, then writes about it.  He never tells his source.  And you are saying this does not go on here, and probably every other school?

hoghearted

Quote from: Richard_white on June 15, 2007, 10:51:58 pm

Well she had to been on the sideline or someone had been talking to her. She couldn't have known what she typed in that email to Mitch if she wasn't there first hand or someone talking to her.  Which one do you believe is true?
Now Richard, you know Houston and Danny would never ever do such a thing as torpedo their player(s) by spewing venom about them to an outsider. Nor would they violate a self-imposed restriction by allowing a booster on the sidelines. I'm sure that TP has extra-sensory clairvoyant talents that gave her that information for her poison letter.

;)
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

YellvilleHog

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 15, 2007, 10:55:07 pm
Quote from: YellvilleHog on June 15, 2007, 10:46:58 pm

I'm going to sit here and accuse our school and every other country in the nation of breaking NCAA rules.  Are you telling me Nutt has never broken an NCAA rule in 10 years?  Baloney.  I understand your point but it happens.  No, I'm not condoning it in the least bit.

How do you think Otis knows all of those recruits? 

It has been suggested before you came around by those that moderate this board that Nutt has "left" or "leaves" recruiting lists on his desk.  It was also suggested Nutt donated about $4K to Otis after his fire.  The two are close and there's no denying that.  Shoot all they have to do is hold up a list and Otis tells Nutt to point to the kid he's going to visit and then point to the ones that have committed.  There, Nutt has not "commented" on recruits. 

No, I'm not suggesting that Nutt has never broken an NCAA rule - heck I'm sure all coaches do, I am saying he's not stupid and wouldn't be so blatant about it as to make sure his buddy Grit destroys every recruit that gets away from UA. I'm sure that Grit does that on his own.

RD

June 15, 2007, 11:29:59 pm #91 Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:10:22 pm by RD
Quote from: tigerLSU on June 15, 2007, 10:14:51 pm
**delete**

baitshop

I had lunch with Tyler's Dad today and asked him about the "baseball" thing..........

Otis is WRONG and has been from day one.........he (Otis) has NEVER spoken to Tyler or his family in regards to baseball.........

LSU...........looking VERY good right now..........decision to be made sooner than later.......

FACTS........no opinion.......
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

YellvilleHog

Quote from: baitshop on June 15, 2007, 11:55:35 pm
I had lunch with Tyler's Dad today and asked him about the "baseball" thing..........

Otis is WRONG and has been from day one.........he (Otis) has NEVER spoken to Tyler or his family in regards to baseball.........

LSU...........looking VERY good right now..........decision to be made sooner than later.......

FACTS........no opinion.......

Oh great, another poster with sources..........

Chief Mac

Quote from: BeoPig on June 15, 2007, 07:22:11 pm
I know that hating on Nutt is the thing to do but is it possible that Lee wants more dual threat Qbs for his offense???  Why offer to a guy that does not fit your style?

but I thought Lee was implementing a pro-style offense and grooming QB's the way he did Romo in Dallas?  Isn't that the latest propaganda?  If so, Wilson should be falling over himself to play under the tuteledge of such a great developer of QB's.     ;)
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

toshortrock

is this really a shock to anyone,,that a  good quarterback does not want to play for Nutt,and he acts like he doesn;t want him,,well,Let Bama or LSU have him,so in the future he will be back to stomp the dodoo out of us
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

1longshot

Quote from: Realist on June 15, 2007, 08:31:41 pm
Hes a 3 star QB, Youngblood is a 4 star.  Yet you complain when Youngblood is clearly the better pro style QB and not just some pass happy spread QB

i'd trust espn to rank the quality of the players if i were you they seem to be a little more reliable over time than rivals

and by the way
wilson: espn 150 watchlist - 80
youngblood:  75

WilsonHog

A couple of things.

(1) How did this become a thread about a booster?

(2) It may not be a part of his offensive package now, but in his last stint with us David Lee was the guru of the midline option. I was coaching high school ball at the time, and we heard him speak about the midline at several clinics we attended. Those were the days of Matt Jones and Mark Pierce.

(3) I am not surprised that Nutt isn't recruiting Wilson for two reasons. First of all, Nutt seems to believe that Arkansas kids really shouldn't have to be recruited. Even if he does believe that, his belief is obviously incorrect as evidenced by players like Ziemba, Burns, Shelley, etc. leaving the state the past few years. Secondly, a passing quarterback isn't needed to run Nutt's offense. All he needs is a quarterback who can be a caretaker; a low-risk, low-reward guy. Take care of the football, throw the occasional play-action pass, and above all don't get us beat. Like it or not, that seems to be his philosophy (or more accurately JFB channeling through him).

billypig

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2007, 08:49:58 pm
we don't want a throwing qb, us fans need to get used to that.  they want another quinn grovey

I would take another Quinn Grovey and his W/L records anyday. 

waphill

Quote from: THHAWG on June 15, 2007, 07:33:38 pm
Man, roll-outs with Monk on an out and a fullback as a relief valve.........seems deadly.

Shush! You can't be giving out our secret plays like that. Opposing coaches could be reading this. Keep it on the DL.