Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sporting News Says HDN is a Great, Great Coach...

Started by JusJim, April 11, 2007, 05:39:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PowderedToastMan

Why are you bashing a guy for having a positive opinion about someone you hate?  The guy that wrote the article shares the same opinion has many people nationwide.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

RazorsEdge

They have Nutt as the 3rd best coach in the SEC West, about where we usually finish.  I'm so proud.  If that is "great, great" what is Tubberville?  Great, great, great?  What is Saban?  Super duper great?

Bvilleboar

A GREAT GREAT coach wins more than 0 conference championships.
A GREAT GREAT coach goes to more than 0 BCS bowl games.
A GREAT GREAT coach has a better conference record than 38-34.
A GREA GREAT coach doesn't have a 5-18 record against the better teams in his conference.

If THEY think he is a GREAT GREAT coach then THEY can have him.
2012 the year of the HOGS

HoopS

Let's be honest..... why did he win the SEC COTY instead of Urban Meyer?   I mean to come into the SEC and win the National title in his second year and not win COTY is pretty lame.   

hogtusk

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Tom Dienhart is not from Springdale.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

jbcarol

Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:41:58 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:39:36 pm
They are morons.
Maybe it's time to wake up and listen to an unbiased opinion. 

Must have looked at the Avatar.  There was no sarcasm intended.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Porkerpower

Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:39:04 pm
Time for the disgruntled fans to wake up and realize we really DO have a good coach.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=195996

The last sentence says...

"Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach."

Glad I read the paragraph.  There for a minute I thought you were talking about a dedicated article.

He's not ahead of Fulmer, Miles, or especially Mark Ritch. 

Good for you though to find at least somebody that thinks so.

Of the 12 Landers award finalist, Nutt landed ZERO.  Great instate recruiting Hooston.

J. Green

Quote from: clemens on April 11, 2007, 05:46:09 pm
i will say this:

1. nutt is an average coach. he isnt a good coach and he isnt as bad as some make him out to be. We could do better.

2. nutt CANNOT be fired right now or anytime before the season. we could not get a decent coach before the season started. herring would be our 2007 head coach.

3. i hope nutt leaves after winning 12 games next season (my dream scenario). 

4. MM, DW, and GM were not treated as well as they could have been. however, they are gone and im ready to move on.

5. Nutt's character is not as good as once thought.

6. we will have a successful season next year if dmac and felix stay healthy.
good post

sage_dragoon

What people should really notice about the article is not the praise for Nutt but the notion that what Nutt has accomplished at UA is the best that can be expected.  Perhaps they should be more upset that the article basicly says that UA can't succeed much more that what they have under Nutt.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

anthonytkr

DeltaBoy

Time for the disgruntled fans to wake up and realize we really DO have a good coach.

"Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach."

You need to stop smoking CRACK like the Sporting News Reporter.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PeytonManningSUCKS

They are morons.
you mean an uninformed opinion...

RazorRaider

Quote from: anthonytkr on April 12, 2007, 08:22:42 am
Who reads Sporting News anyway.

Huggers grasping at straws trying to find someone that will say something nice about Nutt.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

ksrazorback

The University of Arkansas is better off in the long run to have a guy like Coach Nutt. He also says a very good and non biased statement about Tuberville, another Arkansas boy!!

Go Razorbacks ...
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

RazorRaider

Quote from: ksrazorback on April 12, 2007, 08:45:44 am

The University of Arkansas is better off in the long run to have a guy like Coach Nutt. He also says a very good and non biased about the Tuberville, another Arkansas boy!!

Go Razorbacks ...

You must not want to see the razorback succeed then.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

AR_dustoff

That just proves how jaded you guys are toward HDN...

kathog

PeytonManningSUCKS

If you read it the whole story is a coach pump job.  Apparently every coach in the SEC is sweet and their short comings are only that the programs aren't as lofty as others.  The harshest indictment is against Phat Phil who he says should be in the College Football Hall of Fame.  This writer is looking to get some interviews with this article.

RazorRaider

Quote from: AR_dustoff on April 12, 2007, 08:52:22 am
That just proves how jaded you guys are toward HDN...

I would call it more informed about about Nutt. Not jaded.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Head Dahn Hog

Quote from: ksrazorback on April 12, 2007, 08:45:44 am

The University of Arkansas is better off in the long run to have a guy like Coach Nutt. He also says a very good and non biased statement about Tuberville, another Arkansas boy!!

Go Razorbacks ...

How do you figure that?

Let me get this straight.  In the long run, you don't want to consistently beat the big time programs in the SEC (LSU, Georgia, Florida), don't want to win an SEC championship, or don't want to play in a BCS game? 

That's the type of attitude that has allowed mediocrity to fester for this long.  I just don't understand why some fans don't want to see our program improve!
No excuses!  Play like a champion today!

kitshicker

I wish he was a Great,Great coach somewhere else.

hogster23

What gets me is the argument that he does more with less....why do we have less then other teams? whose fault is that?

subjectstorm

this is the entirety of the article piece snippet paragraph(?)

5. Houston Nutt, Arkansas. Look, this isn't as sweet a gig as Hogs fans like to think. Nutt knows this, but he won't dare say it. Instead, he suffers in silence, annually doing one of the best coaching jobs in the nation. Alas, with a new athletic director on the horizon, Nutt's days in Fayetteville may be numbered. Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach.

---------
I . . . why would I change my opinion just because some DUDE wrote a paragraph about how under appreciated HDN is?  I don't base my opinion off of other people's opinions.  I really prefer statistics. 

Besides, the ONLY thing he says here is that Arkansas is a crap college and Houston is probably too good for us.

He could have written the same thing about Mike Shula before he left Alabama, or Holtz at SC - and MANY WRITERS DID.  They wondered why the fans couldn't see what great coaches they had.

Isn't it funny that Alabama was considered a school in decline, an overrated coaching opportunity before Saban came?  Now they're everyone's darling.

And South Carolina?  They were being treated the same way before Spurrier.  Just who the HELL did they think THEY WERE to complain about Lou Holtz??!!  Who were they gonna get to come to the other USC?  LOL, they think they can get, what, Steve Spurrier or something LMAOROFL!!!11!!! Deluded Fans! (btw, Did you see Steve's latest recruiting numbers?  How does he get kids to come to that crap university?  deluded coach!)

It isn't a stretch to say that Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll, Jim Tressel or Nick Saban are "great, great coaches".  These guys have all won national championships.  They all routinely bring in huge recruiting classes.  They are annually in contention to win their conference championships - and sometimes they actually WIN!!!!!!  WOW!!!! 

You could more accurately state that Fulmer, Richt, Tuberville, or Meyer are "great, great coaches" than Nutt.

All those guys have won SEC championships.  All have won BCS bowls.  All have better overall records.  Richt is the only one not to win an NC yet - but did you know that 2006 was the first time since 2001 that Georgia failed to reach ten wins or finish in the top-10?  10 wins is practically routine at some schools - here we treat it like some sort of miracle has occurred.

sigh.   you know what?  fine.  i give up.

I wish we could win an SEC championship . . . but Arkansas is such a crap school, we probably shouldn't get our hopes up.  We really should learn to appreciate what we have here.

Winner

So he's a great, great, coach, but fifth in the conference?  that makes sense.

nobryant

Houston h

PAHog

This guy also ranks him 5th in the SEC.  He's "great, great," so what does that make the four guys in front of him?  Great, great, great...?  He throws a nice one-liner in there but says it all when he puts him middle-of-the-pack in the SEC.  He describes him as what we all know him to be: a guy that would have more success in-conference at a mid-major, but is an average coach when shoulder-to-shoulder with other coaches in an elite conference.  What I also don't get is that he is ranked ahead of Fulmer and Richt.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

RazorRaider

No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

arkyvol

The smoking material in the Sporting News cafeteria must be primo.

porkchopscott

They are morons.

Rrrrrrriiiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttt Sure OK

HoopS

Quote from: hogapalooza on April 12, 2007, 01:15:45 pm
Quote from: opineonswine on April 12, 2007, 10:04:05 am
Wonder why he couldn't get hired at Miami or NCar State or the other places he tossed his ridiculous straw hat in the ring since he's so great?
Are you suggesting HDN called these fine University's and or Big $$$ Donors to see about the Jobs when they were open?  Are you suggesting HDN would go behind the Good People of Arkansas to better his own self? 

OUTLANDISH! 

Oh no brother swine.... you better have a link for such a comment....

wooly

Quote from: Winner on April 12, 2007, 10:11:42 am
So he's a great, great, coach, but fifth in the conference?  that makes sense.

Look who's above him. That's about right. However, I do think great is just a tad of a stretch for HDN.  I like to think of him as above average.

skeetmaster24

I liked that article. Last line is very true. Nutt is a great coach. KEEP NUTT AROUND!!!
Stop talking fat man!! You are a liar!!

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 12, 2007, 12:57:22 pm
Quote from: nobryant on April 12, 2007, 11:41:20 am
nutt is a great coach imo and many others

So all 5 of you agree on this, eh?
You mean all 5 screen names controlled by one guy right?  Just because you've never seen a black helicopter doesn't mean they don't exist.

dowils

LZH

He has shown potential.  I thought the 2000(?) season was a pretty good indicator of what we could expect from him.  But.....he isn't consistent, at all.  The 2004(?) year when we slapped Texas around I really thought we had something...then the bottom fell out.

I don't think he's a bad coach, never said that.  At times, he has done more with less; and at other times he's done very little with superior talent.  He certainly gets in over his head when he faces a coach who makes adjustments during the game...because he obviously can't.  And, at times in the past I thought he was a good recruiter...my bad.  I don't know if he just got lazy after the Cobbs/Batman/MJ era or just got lucky in signing some of the blue chippers we have had.

He has taken this program as far as he possibly can.  Couple that with the mess he has created lately, he has got to go.

He lost me when he did everything but take responsibility for losing...just making excuses.  And if that wasn't enough, the last twelve months or so says alot about this guy.  Nutt suckers want to keep repeating "10-4, 10-4"...well, give me a Butch Davis-coached 10-4 team anyday (say, in 2008?).

GorillaJMonsoon

Quote from: football-writer on April 11, 2007, 05:55:30 pm
Keep in mind that I don't work for or in any relation to the U of A or with TSN....are you calling them Morons simply because they said he was a great, great coach?  What if they said he was a terrible coach?  I'm just trying to get your rationale for calling them that.
What is the measuring stick for being a "great, great coach" (Thats 2 "greats", mind you, not just one "great")
Is it the .500 record in SEC play?
Is it the losing record in bowl games, which include losses to Minnesota and UNLV?
Is it the inability to recruit better after a 10-4 SECW championship season than he does when under an NCAA investigation?

I don't see much reason for 1 "great", much less 2.  Maybe that was why the guy called Sporting News idiots.  They claim something that isn't backed by the facts.  I just want to know the criteria they used to come up with "great, great coach".

cbjagman

Yeah, and I'm supposed to seriously believe that Mark Reicht is BELOW HDN? Even Phat Phil at Tennessee has pretty much "owned" us through the years (yes, I'm considering last year as well). While the jury is still out on Les Miles, it's starting to shape up as if he will be added to the long list of SEC coaches that generally consider us a "W". And I'm supposed to take the Sporting News as some great rater of SEC coaches? Sorry, I'll let the long term records of "head-to-head" do that for me!

RazorRaider

Quote from: PeytonManningSUCKS on April 12, 2007, 02:16:40 pm
Quote from: RazorRaider on April 12, 2007, 12:57:22 pm
Quote from: nobryant on April 12, 2007, 11:41:20 am
nutt is a great coach imo and many others

So all 5 of you agree on this, eh?
You mean all 5 screen names controlled by one guy right?  Just because you've never seen a black helicopter doesn't mean they don't exist.

I thought he was talking about the voices in his head. :)
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

B21SWISH

i'm new on the block but if nutt was a good coach whats he still doing at ark. good coaches are in demand and i haven't heard his name mentioned for another coaching job. we have an average coach

RhodeHog

Quote from: B21SWISH on April 12, 2007, 03:39:42 pm
i'm new on the block but if nutt was a good coach whats he still doing at ark. good coaches are in demand and i haven't heard his name mentioned for another coaching job. we have an average coach

That's exactly the point no Nutt supporter can defend.  Why does nobody want the SEC coach of the year?  Oh yeah, they gave him that award so we would be stuck with him.

Choctaw Hog

msudawgs64

Quote from: HoopSlap on April 12, 2007, 08:08:40 am
Let's be honest..... why did he win the SEC COTY instead of Urban Meyer?   I mean to come into the SEC and win the National title in his second year and not win COTY is pretty lame.  

SEC COY is voted on before any bowl games first off.  Secondly, Nutt got it from a +6 in the win column from 2005 to 2006 and a SEC West title when predicted to finish 4th.  Florida was predicted to finish first in the East so from that standpoint, Meyer did not do anything out of the ordinary, Nutt did.

But to be honest and in my opinion I think Croom could have won 10 games with McFadden and Jones, that OL and that defense.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

spraycanhog

Look no one can claim Nutt is a great coach, he has never won the SEC...he won the SECW twice but really tied both times....its obvious Hire Gus!
Gus at least won the National High School Title!  thats soo much more of an accomplishment than tying for the SECW!  geeez  why cant people see the the obvious!

The running game never wins!
Go Hogs!
Fire Nutt!

pioneerhawg

Quote from: clemens on April 11, 2007, 05:46:09 pm
i will say this:

1. nutt is an average coach. he isnt a good coach and he isnt as bad as some make him out to be. We could do better.

2. nutt CANNOT be fired right now or anytime before the season. we could not get a decent coach before the season started. herring would be our 2007 head coach.

3. i hope nutt leaves after winning 12 games next season (my dream scenario). 

4. MM, DW, and GM were not treated as well as they could have been. however, they are gone and im ready to move on.

5. Nutt's character is not as good as once thought.

6. we will have a successful season next year if dmac and felix stay healthy.

3 will happen, hope is not required
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage. And then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."  William "Hogville" Shakespeare

dfresh

Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 12, 2007, 06:06:44 pm
Let's be honest..... why did he win the SEC COTY instead of Urban Meyer?   I mean to come into the SEC and win the National title in his second year and not win COTY is pretty lame.  

SEC COY is voted on before any bowl games first off.  Secondly, Nutt got it from a +6 in the win column from 2005 to 2006 and a SEC West title when predicted to finish 4th.  Florida was predicted to finish first in the East so from that standpoint, Meyer did not do anything out of the ordinary, Nutt did.

But to be honest and in my opinion I think Croom could have won 10 games with McFadden and Jones, that OL and that defense.

So, I guess what your saying is Croom would have won with our team?  You've just accounted for 18 of our 22 starters.

jbcarol

Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 12, 2007, 06:06:44 pm

Your second sentence is the point that drives us all crazy.  I think he could too, maybe 11.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rabrya

Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:45:42 pm
LONGEST TENURE COACH AT A BCS SCHOOL THAT HAS NOT APPEARED IN A BCS BOWL GAME.  WE ARE THE ONLY FREAKING SCHOOL THAT PUTS UP WITH THIS CRAP.  THE ONLY ONE!!!

Moreover, I wonder how long it takes for a BCS school to no longer be a BCS school if they do not make it to a BCS bowl game in a certain time period.

Prosciutto

Two years ago when Houston was faced with 2nd down and 2. He ran 2 consecutive running plays over the right side for no gain. He then called a time out, and by a stroke of genius, he came up with the idea of another running play over the right side for no gain.

This proved to me he was a moron.

Semper Hogelis

Exactly. time for a Sporting News subcrip.
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....