Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sporting News Says HDN is a Great, Great Coach...

Started by JusJim, April 11, 2007, 05:39:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

The proof is in the pudding. The people who say how good Nutt is are the people who think we can't win big time so we should not expect to be play in a bcs bowl game. The mere FACT that you don't see anyone coming around trying to hire this guy away tells you what other programs think about this guys ability to get it done.

hawgbawb

"this isn't as sweet a gig as Hogs fans like to think. Nutt knows this, but he won't dare say it. Instead, he suffers in silence, annually doing one of the best coaching jobs in the nation....Nutt's days in Fayetteville may be numbered. Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach. "

I think he hit the nail on the head.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

twistitup

Quote from: hawgbawb on April 11, 2007, 08:28:52 pm
"this isn't as sweet a gig as Hogs fans like to think. Nutt knows this, but he won't dare say it. Instead, he suffers in silence, annually doing one of the best coaching jobs in the nation....Nutt's days in Fayetteville may be numbered. Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach. "

why would we have ANY more trouble getting a coach than South Carolina.....did they have something to offer 'the ol' ball coach' that we don't have?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:39:04 pm
Time for the disgruntled fans to wake up and realize we really DO have a good coach.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=195996

The last sentence says...

"Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach."

This Guy is another example of a fellow who assumes he knows this is a good as it can get at Arkansas - I also suspect HDN has fed that attitude - Its to his advantage to feed that attitude - - Summers in silince please!  - "Why we all know how HDN gets out there and bounces around with great effort"  There is no silence to it - just ask him - "He called the Plays - Brother"

HuntinHog421

April 11, 2007, 08:44:01 pm #104 Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:51:23 pm by HuntinHog421
Geez, do you guys ever get tired of the words "mediocre" and "mediocrity"?. Good grief. It's beating a dead horse. It's lost its impact.
Nutt has gone to the SEC championship 3 times, but he's lost every one of them. Some people use this is proof that Nutt's awesome, others use it as proof that he's terrible. While I would certainly like to be #1 in the SEC, I don't expect it from Arkansas. I don't expect to get into a BCS bowl every year. I expect it this year, but some people act as if it was always the goal to get into a BCS bowl or be #1 in the SEC. Let me tell you this: Nutt has gotten within the reaches of an SEC championship and BCS bowl, and each time it's been snatched away from him by big-name coaches and teams. In his first season and also his most recent season at Arkansas, the SEC champion that Nutt lost to was the national champion. The only exception, Georgia (the 02-03 season) were Sugar Bowl Champions. So if Nutt had won those SEC tournaments, he would have been beating two national champions and a sugar bowl champion. So I see it as amazing that he's won the SEC west thrice.
Another thing, Nutt is apparently mediocre because he had two losing seasons in the SEC, right? Well Mr. Tuberville has had two losing seasons in the SEC, but you don't see people calling him "mediocre" and saying he's so terrible.
And rude1, Nebraska and LSU both wanted Nutt, so......
Nutt is gone, so let's move on.

pigmania

Time for the disgruntled fans to wake up and realize we really DO have a good coach.

"Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach."
I'm willing to take that chance

oldhawg

Quote from: twistitup on April 11, 2007, 08:31:41 pm

why would we have ANY more trouble getting a coach than South Carolina.....did they have something to offer 'the ol' ball coach' that we don't have?

More warmer weather----Spurrier does not like cold weather.

Lanlord

Quote from: opineonswine on April 11, 2007, 08:19:50 pm
Houston Nutt is the worst thing to happen to Ark athletics ever, in my opinion.  He is a hollow, white shoe promoter who is no more a good football coach than a monkey.  He has done just enough, at the right times, to save his sorry butt.  I will not rest, nor will I relent, until the day the sorry excuse for a Razorback coach hits the state line on his way somewhere else.

Anyone who gives him any credit or benefit of the doubt is reaching beyond where I am able or willing to reach.  I think I speak for thousands of Razorback fans and a few Trustees.  His departure can not come soon enough to suit me.  (I do not advocate running him off at this point in the year, however.  Would not be best for the program though it would do wonders for my mental health.  But waiting a day past the last game of the upcoming season is waiting a day too long.)

Was that a fresh breath of spring air?

oldhawg

Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 11, 2007, 08:44:01 pm
Geez, do you guys ever get tired of the words "mediocre" and "mediocrity"?. Good grief. It's beating a dead horse. It's lost its impact.
Nutt has gone to the SEC championship 3 times, but he's lost every one of them. Some people use this is proof that Nutt's awesome, others use it as proof that he's terrible. While I would certainly like to be #1 in the SEC, I don't expect it from Arkansas. I don't expect to get into a BCS bowl every year. I expect it this year, but some people act as if it was always the goal to get into a BCS bowl or be #1 in the SEC. Let me tell you this: Nutt has gotten within the reaches of an SEC championship and BCS bowl, and each time it's been snatched away from him by big-name coaches and teams. In his first season and also his most recent season at Arkansas, the SEC champion that Nutt lost to was the national champion. The only exception, Georgia (the 02-03 season) were Sugar Bowl Champions. So if Nutt had won those SEC tournaments, he would have been beating two national champions and a sugar bowl champion. So I see it as amazing that he's won the SEC west thrice.

Nutt coached teams have been to the SEC championship game twice----this past year against Florida, and the embarrassment against Georgia. 

Danny Ford also took a Razorback team to the SEC championship once.

Lanlord

I think he hit his head on a nail.

oldtimerhog

I hope it's soon.  Good Gawd!  What is Tom thinking?
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

HoopS

Who is Dale?

A Prince among Peasants.
A Dove among Pheasants. 

A friend among Haters.
Fresh grass and Gatorade, or

A leader among quitters.
The pick of the litter. 

A Stallion among Horses.
Doesn't believe in divorces. 

A giver among takers.
The real deal, not a faker.

Quickest thumbs in the south.
No need to open his mouth.

He'll keep stayin the course.
Screw them haters up North.

He's OUR Prince  among peasants.
Let's thank Frank for his presence.

*HoopSlap is temporarily out of the office. 

oldtimerhog

If anybody wants him, please take him off our hands.  But know, you will regret it!

Bucksnort

Do they know something we don't know?????

TX SUX

Nice post..  Thanks for the link..  I couldn't agree more.

Justifiable Hogicide

Yeah, he's  great, great.

Somebody else please take him, take him.

:razorback: :razorback:

HuntinHog421

Quote from: oldhawg on April 11, 2007, 08:50:20 pm

Nutt coached teams have been to the SEC championship game twice----this past year against Florida, and the embarrassment against Georgia. 

Ah, thank you for correcting me. We almost beat the soon-to-be National Champion Tennessee on their home field in 1998. That's right.It took Tommy Tuberville 10 years in the SEC to finally win the SEC and get into a BCS game. This is Nutt's 10th year in the SEC. Maybe?
Also, if below 10 wins is average for a coach, (Houston's record is "average" to some people) then 3 of Nick Saban's five years at LSU were "average" (2 8-wins and a 9-win) Tommy Tuberville was "average" and "below average" for 10 years, in darksider terms.
Guys, Houston is a good coach. He will be missed when he finally decides this place isn't worth all the trouble.
Nutt is gone, so let's move on.

Flatfoot

Tom Dienhart has his opinion and I have mine Brutha!  I also stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.  I have the last 10 years of Nutt to bring to the table and points to be made about his poor coaching and recruiting.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

oldtimerhog

The Sporting News is wrong.  I wonder if they will still cover him when he is coaching in CUSA as an assistant?

hawgibalboa

Prediction...If Nutt leaves after this season, we will have one Jack Crowe after Jack Crowe after Jack Crowe.  We will not be able to get a big name coach.  If Butch Davis was interested he would have been here a long time ago.  Grow up people and show respect to the best coach for the job and that is HDN.  Call me a hugger but, atleast Im not bitter. 

jmark

Quote from: hawgibalboa on April 11, 2007, 10:05:41 pm
Prediction...If Nutt leaves after this season, we will have one Jack Crowe after Jack Crowe after Jack Crowe.  We will not be able to get a big name coach.  If Butch Davis was interested he would have been here a long time ago.  Grow up people and show respect to the best coach for the job and that is HDN.  Call me a hugger but, atleast Im not bitter. 

Bitter.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

mword

Now I know why I never bought The Sporting News.

mword

mword

Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:41:58 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:39:36 pm
They are morons.
Maybe it's time to wake up and listen to an unbiased opinion. 

Maybe it's time you might want to consider opening up your eyes for once and seeing that Nutt is NOT a HC and never will be.

Poker_hog

How can being 5th out of 12 be considered great?
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jabohog

They are morons.
This guy (Tom Dienhart) is saying Arkansas ain't all that! We should be glad that we get what we get. Screw him! In 10 years of coaching, Nutt has proven that he can't coach a passing game and a kicking game. He has done all he can do, it is time to try and move to the next level. Which ever level that is, I will never be more glad about anything Razorback, than knowing Houston Nutt is gone from our football program.

Boggercounty Hog

Brahahahahahahahaaha
Brahahahahahahhahaha
Please stop before my side busts

WestMemphisHogFan

Great read. Thanks for the link.  There is so much negative being reported on HDN, it is good to see something positive from someone.

bphi11ips

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 11, 2007, 06:26:39 pm
I would love to sit down with this reporter and ask him how many of the games he has actually witnessed.

I would ask him:

1.  Does a great, great coach go for it on 4th and 1 on your own 29 on your first drive of the game with a true freshman making his first start?
2.  Is a great, great coach someone that (until this past year with gus calling most of the plays) panic during play calling duties and only gives his QB about 12 seconds to get the play called in the huddle an to the line...leading to unnecessary timeouts and delay of game penalties?
3.  Is a great, great coach someone that is so predictable that other DC's say they only have to prepare for 10 plays that Arkansas might run?
4.  Is a great, great coach someone that is so predictable that the other team's LB's are calling out which hole we are running into as soon as our line gets set?

Now, combine all of that with his record.  His record vs. winning teams.  His recruiting.

Doesn't add up does it Jusjim.  Just doesn't add up.

You see, those national media guys don't think we deserve better.  Very few of them have watched (even lived and died) with every play for the last several years.  Yes, those guys know football, but this fan base is also well informed and educated in the ways of football.  We know poor coaching when we see it.  And we have seen it over and over again.  Those guys don't have all the information and experience of watching every play like most of the real fans of the Razorbacks.

+1 Ugly.  You da man!
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

probiotic

this is typical of the national media.  they think that because arkansas is a small state that we should accept mediocrity.

jkstock04

If he's so great...lets see where he winds up and how he does after he leaves here.  My bet is he won't make it at any other major D-1 school as a head coach....he won't have the protection that he has here, he'll actually have to accept responsibility for his shortcomings and mistakes...opposite of the way it is for him now. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Big_D

Quote from: Catfish on April 11, 2007, 06:21:19 pm
Houston Nutt is the RC Slocum of the SEC.

This man speaks the truth. This is about as good a description of HDN as it gets.

redbarn

I as much as anyone want to see Nutt gone cause he just "ain't gettin the job done".  He is mediocre at best and lousy at the very worst.  He has no personality for the fans, seems to land mediocre recruits, has no integrity, needs to go back to college and take a course on how to have a great quarterback and keep him, etc....etc.....etc.  That said and done, I must now say that his personal life is no ones business.  But abuse of his cell phone in what has transpired and the fact that he did not apparently put much effort into landing star recruits such as Kodi Burns can not go unnoticed.  Perhaps there are reasons we are not aware of that brings this about.  I do know for a fact that he personally recruited Grant Lee as a TE and did have dinner with Grant and his Mother in their home.  How many times he text messaged Grant, I do not know.  I do know that Tommy Tubberville and his Offensive Coordinator came to Ft. Smith and not only talked to Kodi Burns but watched him play.  I don't know if Houston Nutt ever did this but I do know that this impressed Kodi Burns tremendously.  My point is that with Grant Lee, Houston Nutt put out some effort and was rewarded with a four star player.  (I believe he is the only four star recruited this year)  With no effort apparently put forth, Kodi Burns is now going to play for Auburn.  In my own opinion, Houston Nutt is being payed over a million dollars per year to be the head coach at Arkansas.  This being the case, I do not think he would have time to spend on his cell phone text messaging anyone 2000 times other than Arkansas recruits during this crucial time and all of his spare time would be spent personally recruiting these guys whether Gus Malzahn or any other coach was already recruiting them or not.  If you don't agree, check our recruiting list and then look at Nick Sabans or Steve Spurriers.  If you want something, you work at it.  Apparently this philosophy is not in Nutts mind.  You don't send an assistant  after the top recruits in the state without making an effort to personally let those recruits know that you want them to be part of your team.  I am not bashing Nutt in any way.  I am just saying that his system doesn't work and no one can say otherwise as the records speak for themselves.

"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

HogFan1973

Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:42:54 pm
They are morons.

Maybe that guy didn't even look at facts.  Facts like the ones in my sig line.  Did you ever think of that?

38-36 in SEC play
5-18 vs. TN, FL, GA, and LSU
0-2 in SECCGs
0-2 vs. USC (120 - 31 for total points)
2-5 in bowl games (0-3 vs. Big Ten)
0 BCS appearances (Longest tenure coach with 0)

You know, that just it though - I don't think any of these national people do look at the numbers - because if they did - they wouldn't think the guy is a great coach.  Either that, or they simply can't interpret numbers.

Newcoachplease

Could of...
should of...
what if...
but...

The most common used words by Nutt Lovers! No facts...just abunch of if Fish doesnt drop the punt, if they dont run the touchdown back, if "someone" doesnt get hurt etc etc etc...The real point is every coach has these problems. Some overcome them...some dwell on them. Great teams and coaches overcome these obstacles!

Richard_white

April 11, 2007, 11:06:07 pm #135 Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:29:32 am by Richard_white
Quote from: hawgibalboa on April 11, 2007, 10:05:41 pm

Do you know for a fact that we can't get a high profile coach?  You must have faith in our administration, don't you?  Because if you did, it's the reason why you believe what you do.  The administration is the probelm, not Arkansas.  The AD is the problem, not Arkansas.  The HC is the problem, not Arkansas.

If we keep believing that we can't get a top coach at Arkansas than we might just sit back and accept it for what it is.  But that isn't me. I will continually believe that Arkansas can be more that a every 4 or 5 year good team.  I will keep believing that we are better than what HC/AD has given us. 

Catfish

Quote from: Big_D on April 11, 2007, 10:38:32 pm
Quote from: Catfish on April 11, 2007, 06:21:19 pm
Houston Nutt is the RC Slocum of the SEC.

And take it from an Aggie, as much as we are not satisfied with Fran, nobody longs for the days of 7-4 Slocum

This man speaks the truth. This is about as good a description of HDN as it gets.

moses_007

Yeah and George Bush is a great, great president.

Richard_white

He is so good of a coach that NC State, Miami and Alabama were trying to get him.

Big_D

Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 11, 2007, 09:11:48 pm

Ah, thank you for correcting me. We almost beat the soon-to-be National Champion Tennessee on their home field in 1998. That's right.It took Tommy Tuberville 10 years in the SEC to finally win the SEC and get into a BCS game. This is Nutt's 10th year in the SEC. Maybe?
Also, if below 10 wins is average for a coach, (Houston's record is "average" to some people) then 3 of Nick Saban's five years at LSU were "average" (2 8-wins and a 9-win) Tommy Tuberville was "average" and "below average" for 10 years, in darksider terms.
Guys, Houston is a good coach. He will be missed when he finally decides this place isn't worth all the trouble.
Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 11, 2007, 09:11:48 pm

You are right he will be missed , all that car salesman pitching , that's special, you gotta love the helmet crap. Please someone hire him, I can't wait to miss him.

vol_in_ar

Why is that a shock, he was coach of the year..

snortyann

NuttinItUp

hawaiianhogster

FIRE NUTT. I don't read that S------- anyway. We'll realize we should have fired him 4 years ago.

hawaiianhogster

I would rather have someone like Gus. An up and comer with a vision of how to play real football and recruit 5 star recruits and not be scared of them or scare them away.

Wash Hogwallop

It is the same old "does more with less" that we always hear.  Why should we be satisfied to remain mediocre?  Why should we not expect excellence?  Why?  Is it because we are JUST Arkansas?  Is it because we are not MICHIGAN or OHIO STATE?  Well I never have been open to the view that excellence cannot be achieved instead of proclaimed upon a program by said experts.  In my opinion, Nutt has simply proved he cannot achieve.  Nutt's record is full of cupcakes sprinkled occasionally with a tempting morsel of hope.  I just ain't eating the crumbs anymore!

yawnoc

April 12, 2007, 05:11:28 am #146 Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:16:49 am by yawnoc
The national view and local state view are at complete odds over the whole Nutt thing.  The little sidepoints and facts never make it to attention-grabbing headlines; a very simple equation which dictates what news is reported on the national/worldwide level.  The rest of the nation only sees "dream kid leaves mad, state blames coach", and never gets past that.

We are, however, on the verge of the 2nd Internet age.  Open online communities, blog and forum worlds (including sites such as Youtube and Hogville) , are forcing change on how the average joe obtains information.  The ever-more-constant media and personal attention demanded upon such positions (such as the UA football head coach postion) allows far fewer opportunities for secretive intiatives.

I believe the current local pressure on Nutt is a perfect example of this.  Had Nutt been totally transparent in his intentions from the beginning of the Springdale affair, I believe his local pressures would have been far less, and the national media would not have martyred him.

NuttinItUp

Sporting News is wrong wrong wrong.

I think it is how the rest of the nation feels, though.

bobc

Quote from: bosshawg38 on April 11, 2007, 05:44:45 pm
Quote from: BigDeal on April 11, 2007, 05:43:17 pm
They are morons.

This reminds me of being off beat from everyone else doing jumping jacks. The swindling number of hardcord darksiders STILL don't  get it. Everyone else is wrong, and  they are right.

Amazing !

So Nutt supporters can have an opinion, but others cannot? This seems to be a common theme with your posts lately.

It is hard to believe someone on Hogville even making a statement like that This is the home of Nutt hatters.

limousin

Sounds like someone looked at things objectively and came up with a true answer. Great article