Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 04:37:37 am

Keyboard Warriors

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, November 10, 2017, 09:17:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

So, I know this will probably get removed but I'm just curious if the keyboard warriors on here actually act like this in real life? Or in other words, would you really call someone all sorts of insulting names to their face in real life?

I was raised to respect others. The only people I decide not to respect are morally inept scumbags. But someone who has tried and simply failed is not deserving of insults and personal attacks. Just because no one will ever know who I am has not changed that fact for me. Names like "Butters", "Dumpling", "Fatso", "Bert", etc just show a huge case of immaturity from many of you, and I wonder how many of ya'll are what I asked...like this in real life or just keyboard warriors?

Btw...I'd take name calling for millions too, but that fact hasn't changed my stance on the personal attacks. I want him gone, but he's most likely struggling with this on a personal level. Who wouldn't? Having an entire nation see that you just can't cut it with the big boys. I doubt the money is taking that humiliation away.

When Enos's dad died, I wondered if it was Bret's dad, would the personal attacks stop. Cuz those situations help make many realize that everyone is human and is not far off from being just like us.

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

SDZ_Hog

I want CBB gone.  This goes back to VT and Mizzou colapse.  I don't get the hatred towards him. He seems like a pretty good guy.  The angry should be directed to the overhead if changes aren't made.

NuttinItUp

He is getting paid enough that a few names probably doesn't really bother him much.

The fact that he sucks as a football coach probably bothers him more.

Sow’sEar

I agree. I want to move on from Coach B, but the name calling is not right.  It makes us all look bad.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on November 10, 2017, 10:09:20 am
I want CBB gone.  This goes back to VT and Mizzou colapse.  I don't get the hatred towards him. He seems like a pretty good guy.  The angry should be directed to the overhead if changes aren't made.

I agree. It's just sad to see grown men making 2nd grade insults to someone who tried but just failed.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hamsam

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 09:17:18 am
So, I know this will probably get removed but I'm just curious if the keyboard warriors on here actually act like this in real life? Or in other words, would you really call someone all sorts of insulting names to their face in real life?

I was raised to respect others. The only people I decide not to respect are morally inept scumbags. But someone who has tried and simply failed is not deserving of insults and personal attacks. Just because no one will ever know who I am has not changed that fact for me. Names like "Butters", "Dumpling", "Fatso", "Bert", etc just show a huge case of immaturity from many of you, and I wonder how many of ya'll are what I asked...like this in real life or just keyboard warriors?

Btw...I'd take name calling for millions too, but that fact hasn't changed my stance on the personal attacks. I want him gone, but he's most likely struggling with this on a personal level. Who wouldn't? Having an entire nation see that you just can't cut it with the big boys. I doubt the money is taking that humiliation away.

When Enos's dad died, I wondered if it was Bret's dad, would the personal attacks stop. Cuz those situations help make many realize that everyone is human and is not far off from being just like us.

POTY.... Well written, sir!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

RazorWest

Of course not, Internet is brutal and allows the worst in people to be broadcast to the world.  I do remember one professor at the U of A letting his "keyboard Warrior" fly after a game last year.  That was sad and funny.

hawgmasta

When the internet was created common human decency died. Have you ever read comments on YouTube videos? It's insane and terrifying. And entertaining unfortunately

Birminghog

Couldn't agree more, green. I used to tell my college students that someone can take away anything you own, but the only way for you to lose your integrity is to give it away of your own volition. My parents taught me that, regardless of your state in life, you can always comport yourself with class and dignity. I fall short of that standard too often, but I try to keep it in front of me as a goal to reach.

I've always been proud to be an Arkansan because of the quality of the people. I hope that the appalling lack of civility I have witnessed on MMQB, and sometimes on JB, is an aberration brought about by frustration. We are better than this.

We can be frustrated and express an opinion without ad hominum attacks that dilute the power of our argument and the strength of our viewpoint.

jgcat4

I'll call him Bert, Fat Boy and Shrek to his face. I don't care. I've been fat all my life. I was also made fun of all my life. It made me tough. This is life. Not everyone gets a trophy. Win 8-10 every year and no one cares.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

FutureMan

I agree, the pure hostility towards the man is ridiculous.  It's really disheartening.  I just ignore it because I have learned you won't be able to change anyone's mind.  If that's the way they are going to act then they are already too far gone.

But it pleases me to know there are others out there that find it as disgusting as I do. 
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

code red

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 10, 2017, 10:33:27 am
I'll call him Bert, Fat Boy and Shrek to his face. I don't care. I've been fat all my life. I was also made fun of all my life. It made me tough. This is life. Not everyone gets a trophy. Win 8-10 every year and no one cares.
He has quit.  He quit in recruiting and he had to know this would happen.  It's just not that easy.  He has been living the gravy train.  He is reaping what he sowed.  I am not a name caller but I will speak the truth and he is a lazy coach.  Which equals no success.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BearsBisonsBoars

November 10, 2017, 10:41:17 am #12 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:53:12 am by BearsBisonsBoars
Quote from: code red on November 10, 2017, 10:38:54 am
He has quit.  He quit in recruiting and he had to know this would happen.  It's just not that easy.  He has been living the gravy train.  He is reaping what he sowed.  I am not a name caller but I will speak the truth and he is a lazy coach.  Which equals no success.

I agree. Name calling is classless and says more about the attacker than the victim.

But criticism is warranted, and I beleive that calling put his apparent laziness is valid.

The NewEra

For so many today, disapproval of someone's job performance has to mean they are evil and must be hated too.  I like Bielema and all of the many fine qualities he has, which are many.  The fact that I think it's time for him to move on doesn't make me dislike him or his family and it shouldn't be that way for anyone else.  His big heart may end up being one of the reasons his teams have turned so soft.

EastexHawg

I want Bielema gone as much or more than anyone, but I have tried to refrain from calling him names.  I think I may have done it once.  I actually don't have nearly as much animosity toward Bielema as Long.  It's not Bielema's fault that he is incapable of winning at Arkansas.  I'm sure he would be more competent if he could.

As for other posters, I try to do the same with them.  If someone wants to disagree with me in a civil manner I will try to do the same.  If they want to get personal sometimes I let my competitive nature and anger get the best of me and stoop to their level.

greenEGnHAWGS

Ah...cuz you were insulted, others should and deserve to be attacked personally too then? Makes sense.

And I'm sorry...but the "everyone doesn't deserve a trophy" argument has zero to do with this conversation. I agree with that thought 100%, but  CBB isn't getting a trophy. He's gonna get canned. He's gonna be humiliated in all the talk shows for not being as good as everyone thought he was. He participated and put forth a good effort, but he's not coming out of this with a sense of accomplishment for losing.

greenEGnHAWGS

If I can just ask, at what point did he quit and in what areas? I mean, is there that much difference now from when he began to make it seem as though the effort changed? I'm pretty level headed and will entertain any thought, but the accusations of him quitting are odd to me.

dpetty121263

Well even if Bert is let go and replaced I am not sure the situation will improve all that much for U of A Fayettenam as the Razorbacks are sucking hind tit for recruits..The biggest,fastest, best catchers and throwers are going elsewhere to bigger and better programs as Football is big business now and these players goes where they can get the best piece of the pie... Recruiting is the life blood to any program and I just think U of A Fayettenam is not a tour of duty many want to make...least wise these days..

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 10:43:04 am
Ah...cuz you were insulted, others should and deserve to be attacked personally too then? Makes sense.

And I'm sorry...but the "everyone doesn't deserve a trophy" argument has zero to do with this conversation. I agree with that thought 100%, but  CBB isn't getting a trophy. He's gonna get canned. He's gonna be humiliated in all the talk shows for not being as good as everyone thought he was. He participated and put forth a good effort, but he's not coming out of this with a sense of accomplishment for losing.

I wouldn't even bother. "Participation trophy", "snowflake", "Millennial", & etc have become buzzwords for those whose arguments can't hold up to scrutiny.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 10, 2017, 10:47:24 am
I wouldn't even bother. "Participation trophy", "snowflake", "Millennial", & etc have become buzzwords for those whose arguments can't hold up to scrutiny.

Ha ha...true.

Birminghog

Code, there is a big difference between the very strong opinion you express and a previous post in this thread. I can't imagine that anyone finds fault with spirited debate among grown folks acting like grown folks.

HawgTide

No you wouldn't. Save the internet tough guy talk. I'm sorry you were picked on, it doesn't make what you are doing ok.

CBB needs to be gone and will be shortly. The personal attacks on him are just sad and pathetic

Dwight_K_Shrute

I try to keep it 100 so yes I'm an ass in real life too.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 10:17:14 am
I agree. It's just sad to see grown men making 2nd grade insults to someone who tried but just failed.

I am pretty sure that You and I have either had this conversation, or else we simply feel the same about it. The insults say more about the author than the insulted.
I actually got to thinking about this while working last night and it caused me to drop prayers for CBB, Long, The Players and then the rest of us. I say a bunch of stupid and vulgar things without even thinking about it, but the name calling and derision I too find tasteless.
I wish him well in his transition, but I also wish he would pull the plug on his time here and put all of us out of our misery. Even if he resigns and promises to stay until the last snap of the season, it would stop much of the vitriol. The only exception being when people disagree on why he sucks every time his name is brought up hereafter.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BoogaHog

Quote from: Birminghog on November 10, 2017, 10:25:05 am
Couldn't agree more, green. I used to tell my college students that someone can take away anything you own, but the only way for you to lose your integrity is to give it away of your own volition. My parents taught me that, regardless of your state in life, you can always comport yourself with class and dignity. I fall short of that standard too often, but I try to keep it in front of me as a goal to reach.

I've always been proud to be an Arkansan because of the quality of the people. I hope that the appalling lack of civility I have witnessed on MMQB, and sometimes on JB, is an aberration brought about by frustration. We are better than this.

We can be frustrated and express an opinion without ad hominum attacks that dilute the power of our argument and the strength of our viewpoint.
Sir, that is so well said.  Thank you for reminding us.  It is a most humbling and edifying rebuke that we can all use.

pattymac

A old song with internet modifications.
I want to be a keyboard Ranger, live the life of constant danger, carry a keyboard until I die.

Treat people as you would like to be treated.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 10, 2017, 10:53:25 am
I try to keep it 100 so yes I'm an ass in real life too.

I appreciate the honestly and/or humor, but I'll ask you this. What if it was his dad that died instead of Enos? Then being an ass is still all good?

If the answer is yes, then I feel bad for you.

If the answer is no, then why? Probably cuz it's moments like that that make us remember that there are more important things in life. This is always correct way of handling things, but we tend to forget this until tragedy strikes and it's too late.

WaltonCollege

He's getting paid almost 5 million bucks I'll call him what I want thanks tho

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 10, 2017, 10:12:06 am
He is getting paid enough that a few names probably doesn't really bother him much.

The fact that he sucks as a football coach probably bothers him more.

So everybody can call you anything they want because you're big enough to take it?  That's silly.  People shouldn't call him names just because he's lost games.  Calling him names is immature or worse. Anyone condoning that just because he should be able to take it is crazy.  That would be like saying hitting a great boxer is ok, because as a boxer he should be able to take a lick.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 10, 2017, 11:07:39 am

We know you will. We aren't saying that you'll stop and be a man.  We're just saying you should.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pig in the Pokey

yet you voted for Trump, who is all about said technique SMFH
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DoctorSusscrofa

People with screen names are always tougher than people that face television cameras every week while doing their job in front of thousands of on-site critics and millions of home viewing critics.  It is the screen name guys that are really the toughest people in the world.  They're not afraid of anything and they don't mind critique.  They can stand up to anybody.

Sincerely
Mark Barton

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 10, 2017, 11:15:48 am

Wait...what?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 10, 2017, 11:15:48 am

That's a good point actually, although I agree with his post.

Pig In The City

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 10:17:14 am

Well said. The job he was tasked to do was not an easy one. He had it in track in year three but got derailed somewhere. Doesn't matter now.  Don't kick a guy when he is down. Just time to move on for everyone.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 11:07:19 am
I appreciate the honestly and/or humor, but I'll ask you this. What if it was his dad that died instead of Enos? Then being an ass is still all good?

If the answer is yes, then I feel bad for you.

If the answer is no, then why? Probably cuz it's moments like that that make us remember that there are more important things in life. This is always correct way of handling things, but we tend to forget this until tragedy strikes and it's too late.

OFFS
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jkstock04

Y'all are crying over commonplace. I don't call Bielema names because I find calling out what a piss poor coach he is plenty enough without making it personal.

But, the whining and crying over it simply because you like the guy or still think he should be our coach is laughable. Answer me this, what public figure in any field isn't subject to scrutiny or personal verbal attack?

Yes, morally its not the "right" thing. But instead of starting a campaign to simply protect Bielema or Long..maybe you should start the campaign to correct current human culture, or maybe even look in the mirror yourself and ask if you have ever done the same to someone you didn't approve of. Maybe your boss? Maybe a govt official in office? Etc.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 10, 2017, 11:20:44 am
That's a good point actually, although I agree with his post.

I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton. I skipped several races where I thought all the candidates were immoral or unethical to a point that I couldn't make myself vote for them.

Birminghog

This is not about him. It's about us.

I sometimes hear people express sympathy for big-time coaches because of how hard they work and how many hours they put in. No doubt they do, but they are generously compensated. My answer is always, "Okay. Tell you what. Put me in that position for a year and then can me because I don't win. I'll retire on the bread they pay those guys for one year."

We do not hurt others when we resort to ad hominem attacks. We simply hurt our own reputations.  Let's show those who see us from afar that we can be critical, if need be, in a way that raises the discourse, not lowers it. I think that is all that some of us are asking. Let's be the proud Arkansans our parents and grandparents reared us to be, and be the example needed by our children and our society.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 10, 2017, 11:26:00 am
Y'all are crying over commonplace. I don't call Bielema names because I find calling out what a piss poor coach he is plenty enough without making it personal.

But, the whining and crying over it simply because you like the guy or still think he should be our coach is laughable. Answer me this, what public figure in any field isn't subject to scrutiny or personal verbal attack?

Yes, morally its not the "right" thing. But instead of starting a campaign to simply protect Bielema or Long..maybe you should start the campaign to correct current human culture, or maybe even look in the mirror yourself and ask if you have ever done the same to someone you didn't approve of. Maybe your boss? Maybe a govt official in office? Etc.

As I see it, it becomes more important to be respectful when you don't like someone. I make an effort to use politician's titles when criticising them. (ie Sec. Clinton, Pres. Trump)

How cheaply will you sell your dignity? I love the Hogs, but football isn't worth acting like a child.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

That stain is left on your shirt not his...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

But, the whining and crying over it simply because you like the guy or still think he should be our coach is laughable.

Answer me this, what public figure in any field isn't subject to scrutiny or personal verbal attack?

And completely in your head...

greenEGnHAWGS

I actually agree with your points. But don't think that because CBB is being discussed that anyone is against "helping our current culture". But if I was to try this, who should I have started out using as an example of overstepping our boundaries in the personal attacks on Hogville? CBB is the one used as he is the one who is attacked here. Yes, I like CBB as a person but I didn't just start having these standards in my life just when CBB was starting to spiral downward and the insults started up.

Calling out those who are discussing personal attacks to the current head coach of the Razorbacks and saying that we should try political figures first or our current boss is silly. This is where the attacks are regarding a current head coach. So this is an appropriate place to discuss such things. But don't assume that anyone who support that standard of class is ONLY practicing it here and not at their job, school, or wherever.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 10, 2017, 11:29:49 am
I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton. I skipped several races where I thought all the candidates were immoral or unethical to a point that I couldn't make myself vote for them.
i was just pointing out that it was our POTUS' technique, too. Crooked Hillary, Uncle Bernie, Lil Marco, yada yada yada
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

WilsonHog

To answer the original question, no, not everyone on here would. Some would, because people are people.

The internet, because of the relative anonymity it affords, gives people an opportunity to say things that previously would have been reserved for one-on-one or small group conversations around the water cooler or the hood of a truck.

Paul

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 10, 2017, 11:39:57 am
i was just pointing out that it was our POTUS' technique, too. Crooked Hillary, Uncle Bernie, Lil Marco, yada yada yada
I agree.  I think he's on Hogville & reads this.  What pseudonym is he using?  Hmmm

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 10, 2017, 11:39:57 am

Yes, Trump's technique is exactly like this.  I think I will benefit from his choices for Supreme Court Justices.  But I still couldn't justify voting for him because I think he's just too unethical and too argumentative to be my leader. He's the president because other people elected him.  But he's not my leader.

Smashmouth2004

I'm going to love reading the posts of some of you after Saturday's game!

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on November 10, 2017, 11:49:04 am
I'm going to love reading the posts of some of you after Saturday's game!

Definitely follow what I say. I'll assure you "fatso", "Bert", "loser", etc won't be posted by me.