Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkaznsas deserved to lose this game

Started by forrest city joe, March 16, 2018, 04:40:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

Just did not play well.when  you can't get stops on defense or rebound the ball you are going to lose. Hogs did not play well at all.missing wide open shots.and playing very bad defense.Mike has got to go out and get him some men that can rebound and play defense..just did not play well today.and missed wide open shots all game.still proud of the Hogs. looking to next year with all the new talent coming in. Butler shot almost 50% from the field.and out rebounded Arkansas by 20. it's a miracle they game stayed in this game as long as it did.Butler just played way better today.simple as that.still proud of the HOGS.love them.

PygmalionEffect2

MA needs to go out and get some men that can coach defense, rebounding, and fundamentals.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

SmokinHog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 16, 2018, 04:43:26 pm
MA needs to go out and get some men that can coach defense, rebounding, and fundamentals.

No, Mike Anderson just needs to go find a new place to coach.

Its time we get a REAL coach - and forget dreaming about re-living the Nolan days. Its dead, move on.

pignparadise

MA needs to go period.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

McKdaddy

Despite fcj swearing I'm a hater, I'm not advocating for MA's firing b/c I don't think we are an attractive job any longer. But Mike's ceiling is nearby.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

root_hawg

Joe,

What on the newcomers coming in has you excited.  I know you follow Mike A and the basketball team closer than I.  I know we have 6 coming in but none are in the top 100 players in the country or the top 20 at their position.  I also seem to remember that the tallest one wasn't but 6'7 or 6'8. 

Thanks for the answer.

rude1

Just how confident are you Joe  that the new players are going to bring any better results?

RagingHawgOn

Amen. I see better fundamentals in pickup games at the rec center.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: SmokinHog on March 16, 2018, 04:45:19 pm

Its time we get a REAL coach - and forget dreaming about re-living the Nolan days. Its dead, move on.

No one would hire him.

pigture perfect

Thank you Joe for an honest assessment. I think that is what fans have been saying for awhile.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Marshfieldhog

Mike needs to go out and get some real assistants or leave if he can't. He needs to recruit better to fill positions of need. The 4 position was horrible this year. We have very few options down low next year if Gafford leaves. He gets caught with his pants down in recruiting.

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 16, 2018, 04:46:58 pm
Thank you Joe for an honest assessment. I think that is what fans have been saying for awhile.

Yes PP, quite a long while.

PygmalionEffect2

Yeah, guess my statement wasn't clear enough that he could replace himself while he's at it, but that's not going to happen this year.

Surely if he doesn't get us to the Sweet Sixteen in year eight he will be gone.  Surely the university I use to be so proud of has not gotten to the point that we give up and accept mediocrity in basketball?
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

The real Hogules

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 04:40:58 pm
Just did not play well.when  you can't get stops on defense or rebound the ball you are going to lose. Hogs did not play well at all.missing wide open shots.and playing very bad defense.Mike has got to go out and get him some men that can rebound and play defense..just did not play well today.and missed wide open shots all game.still proud of the Hogs. looking to next year with all the new talent coming in. Butler shot almost 50% from the field.and out rebounded Arkansas by 20. it's a miracle they game stayed in this game as long as it did.Butler just played way better today.simple as that.still proud of the HOGS.love them.

He hasn't went out and recruited what you are suggesting in SEVEN years, so what makes you think he can, or will do it now??? Did his light bulb finally come on, after another disappointing end to another season?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

alohawg

Right answer
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Kevin

you love Anderson more
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

McKdaddy

Quote from: Kevin on March 16, 2018, 04:50:55 pm
you love Anderson more

And you, Kevin, are a hater b/c you also don't love MA more.

(smdh)

jfred59

Mike needs to quit being attached at the waist to Cleveland and Watkins and get some new blood in there

McKdaddy

Our local Razorback club is trying to get out of having MA as our speaker for our Spring Rally due to how low attendance will be, but the Foundation will likely tell us we can't change speakers at this point in time and must keep MA or cancel the event.  ugh.

hawgfan4life

MA doesn't need to go, but he darned well needs to get more than what he got from his team today.  I really cannot understand 6 seniors coming into a game with no energy, focus, and determination.  Coaches didn't have us ready or the players completely ignored Butler thinking it was a gimme.  Embarrassing, disappointing, and inexcusable.

lookawayquick

What galls me is the total BS line about Hog defense and wearing the other team down.  This team played horrible defense and did not rebound consistently.  Two of the three senior guards were lazy, unsound fundamentally and seemed to care more about stats than winning.  Ready for a fresh start!

McKdaddy

One Sweet 16 in 7 years was too much to ask.

MemphisBossHog

YES YES YES.  This was embarrassing today. They shot 36 freakin % from the floor in the biggest game of the season. Got outrebounded by 20.

The last two games, ARK has lost by 18 and 17.  Unless Ark plays a team that just can't take care of the ball and allows Ark to shoot 45+% from 3, they get killed.  If the 3s aren't falling, well you can forget rebounding cause Ark does not believe in it.

The SEC Tourney and today were "moneytime" for the Hogs as a team and coaching staff and they followed up a pitiful performance with......yes....another pitiful performance. 

Let's be real here. Nolan could actually coach and he got some men to implement his system and it got him an NC in 94. Mike has no "men" who can take over or who won't get pushed around. He has a bunch of athletes who aren't "players". Got to hope Mike can recruit some better talent cause there is no "coaching em up" at Ark.

forrest city joe

Rebounded and defense for the most part is want too.and having the big bodies who can go get the ball.Darnell Robinson,Lee Wilson and Corliss.Hogs were limited on their front line this year.other than Gafford and Trey they had no one.and they were very limited of G.Macon and Barford,and very little else.Mike has to and will bring in better players.Hogs have some exciting players coming in.

McKdaddy

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 05:01:17 pm
Rebounded and defense for the most part is want too.and having the big bodies who can go get the ball.Darnell Robinson,Lee Wilson and Corliss.Hogs were limited on their front line this year.other than Gafford and Trey they had no one.and they were very limited of G.Macon and Barford,and very little else.

True.

At our Razorback Club when Mike last spoke to us, a question from the crowd was why Mike didn't seem to be able to recruit and land many big men.  I thought it was a dumb question and not one a coach can answer well without getting defensive or making himself look bad.  I'd rather us not have fan Q&A, but that's not my call.

But Mike's response was "show me where they are and I'll go recruit them."

The crowd audibly groaned.

forrest city joe

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on March 16, 2018, 04:59:52 pm
YES YES YES.  This was embarrassing today. They shot 36 freakin % from the floor in the biggest game of the season. Got outrebounded by 20.

The last two games, ARK has lost by 18 and 17.  Unless Ark plays a team that just can't take care of the ball and allows Ark to shoot 45+% from 3, they get killed.  If the 3s aren't falling, well you can forget rebounding cause Ark does not believe in it.

The SEC Tourney and today were "moneytime" for the Hogs as a team and coaching staff and they followed up a pitiful performance with......yes....another pitiful performance. 

Let's be real here. Nolan could actually coach and he got some men to implement his system and it got him an NC in 94. Mike has no "men" who can take over or who won't get pushed around. He has a bunch of athletes who aren't "players". Got to hope Mike can recruit some better talent cause there is no "coaching em up" at Ark.
The bottom line is this Arkansas team was not good enough.i think they got all they could out of this season.Hogs play bad today,it's simple as that.bad defense.bad defense and bad shooting will get you beat against anyone.see 2 losses to Lsu.we could not defend their little PG and we got beat.Butler had some good G who we could not defend.

HogBreath

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 05:01:17 pm
Rebounded and defense for the most part is want too.and having the big bodies who can go get the ball.Darnell Robinson,Lee Wilson and Corliss.Hogs were limited on their front line this year.other than Gafford and Trey they had no one.and they were very limited of G.Macon and Barford,and very little else.Mike has to and will bring in better players.Hogs have some exciting players coming in.
Exactly right Joe, Mike may not have recruited very well for years, but he's fixed all that starting next year! 

+100 for Joe!

Of course we'll need to give them a year or two to get up to speed, but then..look out!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

forrest city joe

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 16, 2018, 05:08:23 pm
True.

At our Razorback Club when Mike last spoke to us, a question from the crowd was why Mike didn't seem to be able to recruit and land many big men.  I thought it was a dumb question and not one a coach can answer well without getting defensive or making himself look bad.  I'd rather us not have fan Q&A, but that's not my call.

But Mike's response was "show me where they are and I'll go recruit them."

The crowd audibly groaned.
He got a good one last year in Gafford.and another one on the way in Chaney.but he has to get more dept.you need 4 or 5 guys on your front line who can play.same with your back court.i think we will have that at G next year.now Mike has to get another body up front.bad game and loss today.just played bad the last 2 games.next season should be fun with all the new talent coming in.

McKdaddy

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 05:21:09 pm
He got a good one last year in Gafford.and another one on the way in Chaney.but he has to get more depth.you need 4 or 5 guys on your front line who can play.same with your back court.i think we will have that at G next year.now Mike has to get another body up front.bad game and loss today.just played bad the last 2 games.next season should be fun with all the new talent coming in.

Agreed.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 16, 2018, 04:46:51 pm
No one would hire him.

Dude I'm upset we lost too but a simple click on wiki links makes this statement a flat out lie
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Oliver

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 16, 2018, 05:25:40 pm
Dude I'm upset we lost too but a simple click on wiki links makes this statement a flat out lie

I'd be more than willing to test out this theory.  And I'm sure the answer would be on the level of another UAB type program

ICEman

He has plenty of Arkansas school kids coming in next year, will that do?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

hobhog

Quote from: HogBreath on March 16, 2018, 05:14:25 pm
Exactly right Joe, Mike may not have recruited very well for years, but he's fixed all that starting next year! 

+100 for Joe!

Of course we'll need to give them a year or two to get up to speed, but then..look out!

He won't be our coach in two years

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 16, 2018, 05:25:40 pm
Right on the money. hell i am mad that the Hogs lost too.i wanted to see them win and get a shot at Purdue.but they just did not play well at all. but this idea that nobody will hire Mike is a joke and a lie.Mike is not perfect.in other words he is not Nolan or Eddie.(2 of the best college coaches of all time)but he is a good coach.and better talent is on the way.

cityhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 16, 2018, 05:37:08 pm
Right on the money. hell i am mad that the Hogs lost too.i wanted to see them win and get a shot at Purdue.but they just did not play well at all. but this idea that nobody will hire Mike is a joke and a lie.Mike is not perfect.in other words he is not Nolan or Eddie.(2 of the best college coaches of all time)but he is a good coach.and better talent is on the way.

The talent is coming! The talent is coming!

Thanks Paul Revere.

This team had loads of talent. 2 of the best guards we've had in a long time and a great big man. WOEFULLY underperformed because they were consistently asked to play a style that put them in disadvantageous situations again and again and again.

forrest city joe

Letsroll1200

I'll say it again. The accountability on defense should have been on the senior leadership. They have fun with each other but to be a good team you have to challenge one another. Never happened! Mike can not coach effort! Anton Beard is a senior, this is it, but you come out lackadaisical on defense. I'm looking forward to next season. I want to see a team that's compete every night.

Letsroll1200

Hollywood_HOGan

I'm not for firing mike but this isn't a good look. If next year provides zero ncaa wins, the heat will be on.

jst01

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2018, 05:56:27 pm
Just Keep Watching

For sure the dumbest thing to keep repeating right after that embarrassing loss. When Mike leaves I hope you follow him to the new school and keep watching him 'D em up'. Pathetic slogan

mhuff

March 16, 2018, 06:18:56 pm #40 Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:48:31 pm by mhuff
I exspect to get better as the season progresses. After we dug ourselves a hole we came back and finished as expected. Everyone learned that if they stopped our guards, they would would stop our team . I have been telling you for years that you have to score in the paint. Barkley sat there and said that Gafford was going to have to come alive. Trey and Gafford needed to be on the floor at the same time. Did you not see that when Gafford missed Butler had three people rebounding. Gafford can't do it all especially if he's trying to score.

What I wanted to see this year was a trip to the NCAA's, better recruiting, and a defense that excelled. Our defense was bullfighter defense. The defense of a senior team was pathetic basically the whole year. I am a defense first person. The opposition knew they could drive the lane at will for layups or kickouts for wide open threes. Everybody we played knew this. Poor effort and poor coaching has been the norm.

Personally I think the talent will be better next year. I also think we will have guards that will drive and distribute the ball for wide open shots. That's BB 10101. It's something we haven't seen for years. We had a team that just wanted to dribble until they turned the ball over or took crap shots. The game of BB is played with quick passes and ball movement .

Regardless, congrats on making the tournament and improving recruiting. I am anxious to see the new players in action.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: mhuff on March 16, 2018, 06:18:56 pm
I exspect to get better as the season progresses. After we dug ourselves a hole we came back and finished as expected. Everyone learned that if they stopped our guards, they would would stop our team . I have been telling you for years that you have to score in the paint. Barkley sat there and said that Gafford was going to have to come alive. Trey and Gafford needed to be on the floor at the same time. Did you not see that when Gafford missed Butler had three people rebounding. Gafford can't do it all especially if he's trying to score.

What I wanted to see this year was a trip to the NCAA's, better recruiting, and a defense that excelled. Our defense was bullfighter defense. The defense of a senior team was pathetic basically the whole year. I am a defense first person. They knew they could drive the lane at will for layups or lockouts for wide open threes. Everybody we played knew this. Poor effort and poor coaching has been the norm.

Personally I think the talent will be better next year. I also think we will have guards that will drive and distribute the ball for wide open shots. That's BB 10101. It's something we haven't seen for years. We had a team that just wanted to dribble until they turned the ball over or took crap shots. The game of BB is played with quick passes and ball movement .

Regardless, congrats on making the tournament and improving recruiting. I am anxious to see the new players in action.

Can't be a one trick pony. That will get you got, especially in the tournament.

Nolan's success was hinged on having a Corliss and a big man on the floor at the same time with a shooter and a defensive point guard.

Mike's vision of what it takes to succeed is flawed. Always has been.
This is my non-signature signature.

Breems

I want change. Obviously it won't happen after making the tournament, but next year looks pretty scary.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

elksnort

Quote from: Breems on March 16, 2018, 06:29:40 pm
I want change. Obviously it won't happen after making the tournament, but next year looks pretty scary.
Agree. This deal is getting old. I can't see how next year will be better.

Champs04

Mike has to go get him some new players Joe? Hasn't he had the time?

Danny J

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 16, 2018, 04:55:27 pm
MA doesn't need to go, but he darned well needs to get more than what he got from his team today.  I really cannot understand 6 seniors coming into a game with no energy, focus, and determination.  Coaches didn't have us ready or the players completely ignored Butler thinking it was a gimme.  Embarrassing, disappointing, and inexcusable.
What CMA better do right now is spend 100% of his time recruiting Gafford to stay one more year. I know that's selfish on my part but I don't care honestly. I'm a hog fan, love Gaffords play and want to see us win.

waterboy

But, but, but, this is what this team is made for

Oliver

Quote from: Breems on March 16, 2018, 06:29:40 pm

Nice to see you see the light Breems

Hog N Bama

MA is NOT an Apple off the Nolan tree. Everybody get it now? Oh wait. An extension? What!!?!?!? ??? :puke:

Mikey

Having grown up on Razorback basketball with Sutton and Richardson, I was thrilled when we hired Mike.  I'm completely over that now.

I didn't necessarily expect him to do as well as Nolan, but Razorback fans deserve better than this.